• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah man. RIP. You brought me so many laughs. I don't think memes would be the same today without YTMND.

A tribute to my all time favorite:

Ualuealuealeuale.gif

Rip macaron chacaron

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Plot twist: I happened upon Max Goldberg's Reddit account last night, and apparently the shutdown was entirely unplanned. As in, he wasn't even aware it was offline until somebody sent him a news article about it several days afterward. He also PM'd me his thinking when asked:

It was unintentional but also maybe it's just time. I haven't worked on it seriously in almost a decade which left it vulnerable. I sort of want to make it a read-only archive and update it to not rely on flash. I haven't made any decisions what to do yet though.
FWIW, I suggested it might be better to keep it offline and rely on the various archives to preserve it, because at this point the only real "community" still active there were alt-right edgelords and mentally unstable people unhealthily obsessed with obscure internal drama.

Also, he's since updated the site with this message:
00fXT2v.jpg

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
lol, internet
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-sites-database-has-accidentally-been-deleted

In an attempt to clear up the confusion, Motherboard got in touch with Max Goldberg, the site's creator and caretaker for almost 20 years, on a Discord chatroom that he set up to talk to a very confused community about the site. Goldberg said he doesn't know if YTMND is coming back, and what shape it'll be in if it does.

"Still trying to determine that, but it appears the current database has been completely wiped," he said. "The hardware is roughly eight years old I believe."

The last backup is five years old apparently.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Just logged in and still have my favorites list. Time to go down memory lane.

ps3babytruth.ytmnd.com

PS3 Baby Sees The Truth

just for the record, i am NOT nor have i ever been a fanboy of anything, in fact i havent played my gamecube (out of my ps2, Gcube and xbox) for over a year now. the only reason i support the Wii more then ps3 is that $599 US dollars is just ridicules.

allwewantis.ytmnd.com

all we ask for is

satisfaction i fixed the sync sort of :)

Lol at this one. Created 7 days after the PS3 launch:

Leo wants a PS3

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
True story: I worked that the company that hosted YTMND in 2006. They had a server (and by that I mean a literal, physical box on a rack) at one of our datacenter sites.

I'm guessing this most recent move put the site in a VM in the cloud somewhere.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Old school Internet sites love April Fools. I remember Homestar Runner broke a 4 year hiatus with April Fools.