• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys have to understand the reason he's so popular is the same reason they're giving Morgana a human form.

The JP audience LOVES the Ikemen archetype.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'd say I'm shocked, but we did have that render thread a while back. So it was pretty obvious.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't make much sense for him to join the party, they'd pretty much have to completely rewrite him. And as far as I can remember his kit in battle didn't seem like it provided anything I missed when he left.

I'm really curious on how they are going to get this to work.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
He's also popular because he's the exact opposite of the main character. A perfect foil. Popular, outgoing, a crime fighter who is secretly a criminal, mentally unstable.

Everyone loves the rival trope.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make much sense for him to join the party, they'd pretty much have to completely rewrite him. And as far as I can remember his kit in battle didn't seem like it provided anything I missed when he left.

They kinda need to completely rewrite him anyway, he has no depth and introducing a new primary actor in the narrative means you can't have him and Joker's "rivalry" be so shallow. So they probably are significantly altering him.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I hope they give him his own palace , and once his heart is changed, he'll atone by helping the Phantom Thieves for the rest of the game before turning himself in for his crimes in the epilogue.

That's probably too much to ask from Atlus, sadly. At the very least, they better at least attribute his mass murder to brainwashing from Yalbadroth or something.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
See I've been thinking Persona 5 Royal may end up being a retelling of the story ala Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon rather than a 1:1 recreation, so if that's the case, I can see Akechi actions from original game getting more white washed.

Like him not personally being the one to kill Okumura.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
See it wouldn't even be so bad if he were just a serial killer who gets redeemed. That would just make him like Vegeta or whatever.

The fact that he's just so badly written on top of it all makes it the worst.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Huh. Well I guess that explains why the Justice Confident had bare bones benefits in P5 Vanilla if they're saving it for Royal.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They are totally going to Marie this game arent they?

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm gonna break this negative train and say that I'm actively looking forward to seeing how they handle this.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Best boy getting what he deserves. Hope we can change between his regular outfit and his true outfit tho

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So to get some insight I ended up looking at how many fics on Archive of our own are tagged Akechi/Protagonist.

For comparison Makoto/Protagonist has 494.

May 30, 2018
Forget that he was a mass murderer and he killed Okumura

Just as a character, he was the best. You wanted to know his past/story. His cutscenes were always hype. His design was perfect. Even when he joined he was the best help

Like compare him to reused persona characters #1000 and #1001 , aka Ryuji and Ann. Who cared about them

This better not be some cognition 'Dream BS'

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Having to sacrifice my sanity to the shippers to get the best p5 Villain more screentime is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

zainmosni

Apr 17, 2018
Hopefully it's just a long con for Joker to get back at him by executing him.
I legitimately don't get why they redeemed Akechi, a fucking deranged serial killer.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Well none of the characters do anything that can't be covered by Joker by that point in the game if you look at it like that

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given his popularity, it's the biggest "no shit" ever.

I mean, look at what they did with Adachi in P4U2 with having him finish the final boss off with Yu. Of course they're going to do the same with a way more popular version of him.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Well I'm gonna break this negative train and say that I'm actively looking forward to seeing how they handle this.
Yeah, I'm pretty hopeful actually. They've got hindsight on their side and the events as they are currently felt like the result of a rushed final act.

... wait I forgot about Adachi. Oh shit.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
At first I thought of course its akechi. Then when I opened the thread and saw Haru first in the screen shot I was like oh great they are integrating her more into the early parts. Then I read the details and of course its akechi. Not surprising at all. I hope all characters are expanded alongside him.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Y'all ready for the Persona 5: Royal Animation? The Akechi love is only gonna get better/worse until Persona 6 drops.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
So was he always like "cartoon villainy" level insane like when they confront him in his battle or was that not until Joker and the gang kept thrwarting him, and on top of that his jealousy of Joker not having to put in the amount of effort he did, causing him to unwind even further?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How so? Morgana's explanation is that Persona users are in control of their emotions, which is demonstrably false.
I don't think that was the wording. There was an explanation in the game that Persona users don't have palaces because palaces are the manifestation of one's ego. Palaces are essentially the personas of the Phantom Thieves' targets. When someone awakens to their persona, that's the manifestation of their inner selves, so they can't have some other, different manifestation of themselves. It'd be analogous to the reason why a persona user can't have a legitimate shadow (which the Persona 4 Arena series gets into).

Persona 5 itself gets into this when it comes to covering certain plot holes. Like why Akechi wouldn't have just infiltrated the Phantom Thieves' palaces and kill them from there.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit early to say he's redeemed?

All we know is that Royal is enhancing the existing story bits as well as adding new ones. Maybe they're redoing the entire betrayal sequence. Maybe it makes sense for him to be there with Haru. Chill until more info.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that was the wording. There was an explanation in the game that Persona users don't have palaces because palaces are the manifestation of one's ego. Palaces are essentially the personas of the Phantom Thieves' targets. When someone awakens to their persona, that's the manifestation of their inner selves, so they can't have some other, different manifestation of themselves. It'd be analogous to the reason why a persona user can't have a legitimate shadow (which the Persona 4 Arena series gets into).

Persona 5 itself gets into this when it comes to covering certain plot holes. Like why Akechi wouldn't have just infiltrated the Phantom Thieves' palaces and kill them from there.
I see. I get what they're going for now but I don't agree with it because a persona and shadow are opposite sides of the psyche.

Last edited: