• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think the cheapest way is to get an external 3.0 drive and dump your games there, then transfer them into the SSD when you need them

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That is a lot of money. And it being proprietary storage is also not great.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Considering SSD prices, it could have been worse.

Still not super cheap when you are dropping £449 on a console though and even brings the cheaper Series S up to £410 with the extra storage.

Obviously PS5 will have the same issue. It's just a cost we will have to take, if we want more space or keep swapping games onto a cheaper USB storage drive.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it's likely a PCIE Gen 4 device, £159 is actually fairly reasonable for a terabyte. You'll struggle to get an equally fast drive for your PC for much less. Certainly, it's far from a price gouge.
It's a two-lane SSD, rather than the typical four of a PC SSD.
That makes it equivalent to a PCIe 3.0 SSD - and a mid-range one at that.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Are we seeing the good old "I need four controllers, a TV, a house and a friend to play with. Damn, that gamecube is expensive"-song and dance here?
All the series consoles will come with usual internal storage included. Sure, 500GB isn't fantastic, but it will hold a few games.

As far as I know you can swap your games to a slower and much cheaper external drive. A normal USB-based mechanical hard drive can give massive storage for very little cost.

As for various add ons like controllers massively increasing the cost of the series S, yes they do. The series S is in all likelihood very subsidized. This is a good thing.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That XSS gets awfully expensive when you consider storage.
But you don't need it. It's fine as is, and you can always just hook up your existing external drive. Most of your games will be BC at first anyway - and it's easy enough to transfer games back and forth if you really need to. Same with a controller. You don't need it. Your old ones will work.

From that perspective, the XSS is awfully cheap to get a full gaming experience with but relatively minor compromises.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Wait, the price for this isn't confirmed in the USA and pre-orders go live today? I thought the $219 price tag was confirmed, my bad.

Xbox Series S has something like 450gb of usable storage, no?

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Cold storage swapping from an external USB HDD or standard SDD is your best solution. Also, that will be more practical than worrying about not having a disk drive. If I were a person that was buying a diskless console my primary concern would be internet speed, not storage space.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
But you don't need it. It's fine as is, and you can always just hook up your existing external drive. Most of your games will be BC at first anyway - and it's easy enough to transfer games back and forth if you really need to. Same with a controller. You don't need it. Your old ones will work.

From that perspective, the XSS is awfully cheap to get a full gaming experience with but relatively minor compromises.

Why not stick to the One X if that's the bar?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I can buy an nvme 1tb drive for under 100, this is over priced for just an enclosure. $150 should be the max.
You can buy a PCIE 3 drive for that price yes, but this is PCIE 4. Yes, I know that if they used all 4 lanes you could have used PCIE3 to get the same speed, but they didn't so it has to be PCIE 4 - which currently retail for around £150-£200. If this comes in at £150ish I'll be more than happy with that.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Why not stick to the One X if that's the bar?
Yea, it's a great option for people who aren't interested in jumping into next gen immediately. Lots of people are doing exactly that on this site. But if you're looking for a new console this holiday, that's not an option. And, buying from the One generation comes with major compromises. And the most obvious one - you can't play all of the next gen games. XSS can (that are on the platform).

Need I remind you that the XSS is selling for LESS than the current suggested retail price of the One X?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Need I remind you that the XSS is selling for LESS than the current suggested retail price of the One X?
It's also selling at the same price as the Xbox One S on Amazon (in fact there's a SKU that actually costs more available). That's simply incredible for day 1 of next gen launch.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it's likely a PCIE Gen 4 device, £159 is actually fairly reasonable for a terabyte. You'll struggle to get an equally fast drive for your PC for much less. Certainly, it's far from a price gouge.
MS is still going to get hammered on the price, even if it's reasonable. Even people in Era seem to be confused between price/performance of external SSD over usb, NVME SSD and PCIE gen 4 NVME SSD.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Good retailprice for now.
It's PCI 4.0, so basically a Seagate Firecuda 520 1TB, which costs around 220USD

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wasnt there some 220$ leak or something? I was expecting the worst but this isnt bad I think.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Series S + 1TB expandable storage being damn near the same price as XSX makes that combo almost seem redundant. Might as well go for XSX and you would only be 500gb short and get 8 extra TFs

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Wasnt there some 220$ leak or something? I was expecting the worst but this isnt bad I think.

This was my vague recollection, but I'm honestly surprised they haven't put the price for these out there yet in the US. Cold storage is probably the way to go for Xbox Series X, but Series S is pretty dry in terms of space. I'd get tired managing 512gb (which is why I upgraded my 2013 PS4 to a 2tb asap).

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Users above said the Xbox isn't using all 4 lanes of PCIE 4 so its speeds aren't equivalent.
True? That would mean PCIE 3 speeds are more than sufficient.

it's true but it's still a PCI 4 drive. It doesn't matter if the sustained speeds are X it's still a pci 4 drive.

they come with a premium. You won't find an equivalent drive with the same specs for $100. Ignore the speeds.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Users above said the Xbox isn't using all 4 lanes of PCIE 4 so its speeds aren't equivalent.
True? That would mean PCIE 3 speeds are more than sufficient.
PCIE3 cannot provide the same speed per lane, which is how you need to look at this drive. The system mandates a certain speed, only PCIE 4 drives provide that, if we ignore the system mandated technology requirement then we may as well start comparing the costs of sata SSDs as well.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
For people considering cold storage, yes, it will be cheaper, but it will also be a huge pain in the ass. With games being 30gb or larger, how long is it going to take to transfer those games back and forth? I'd rather just spend the extra money on the SSD so I'm not wasting time transferring back and forth all the time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
games will be 30 percent smaller on the Aeries S making the storage space less of any issue.

30% smaller than Series X games, which is stil going to be bigger than current gen games. 500gb was too small for me in 2015, and juggling games from externals wasn't necessary this gen like it will be next gen

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
I think I'll be good using a 1tb ssd as cold storage for the time being, but I do see myself getting one in about 2 years if games like Call of Duty and Halo continue to be 100+ gigs

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
That's not too bad. It's over market for a comparable nvme SSD, but it's proprietary and whatnot. Still wish they didn't go with Seagate, tho.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I hate proprietary as much as everyone else but is there any standard alternative at the moment? Are there any USB3.0 NVMe enclosures that would provide the same latency?

Ideally it would just be a swappable NVMe drive like on the PS5 but from what I understand the SSD is part of the SOC so that's not possible without major design changes.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
it's true but it's still a PCI 4 drive. It doesn't matter if the sustained speeds are X it's still a pci 4 drive.

they come with a premium. You won't find an equivalent drive with the same specs for $100. Ignore the speeds.
Well it's nice that they're pcie 4 but sucks that they're kneecapped in that regard.
I'm curious why they did not use pcie 3 then.

PCIE3 cannot provide the same speed per lane, which is how you need to look at this drive. The system mandates a certain speed, only PCIE 4 drives provide that, if we ignore the system mandated technology requirement then we may as well start comparing the costs of sata SSDs as well.

Is the quoted 2.3gbps speed correct? If so even PCI3 speeds are well beyond that.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Well it's nice that they're pcie 4 but sucks that they're kneecapped in that regard.
I'm curious why they did not use pcie 3 then.

Is the quoted 2.3gbps speed correct? If so even PCI3 speeds are well beyond that.
It is, which makes it ~1.15gb/s per PCIE lane. I'm pretty confident that PCIE3 tops out as less than that.

I'm not disputing that you can get a PCIE 3 SSD for PC that has similar overall speed. But the Series X|S doesn't use the same lane count (so I'm informed by Era) so must use a PCIE 4 SSD to reach that speed. It must also sustain the speed, bursting to that speed isn't enough and slowing down due to heat isn't enough.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It is, which makes it ~1.15gb/s per PCIE lane. I'm pretty confident that PCIE3 tops out as less than that.

I'm not disputing that you can get a PCIE 3 SSD for PC that has similar overall speed. But the Series X|S doesn't use the same lane count (so I'm informed by Era) so must use a PCIE 4 SSD to reach that speed. It must also sustain the speed, bursting to that speed isn't enough and slowing down due to heat isn't enough.
I see, and understand a bit better now.