• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully this is ok to post here. I don't post very often.

Over the past year or two I have been seeing a lot, and I mean a lot of people that use the word loosing when they mean losing. Those peoples primary language is english, so it's not that. And as mention, this isn't the odd person here or there, in fact it almost feels like it is happening the majority of time when people want to say losing they spell loosing.

It has actually become a pet peeve of mine. The words don't even remotely mean the same things. It's not even a difficult word. This is something that most people understood when they were under 8 years old.

How did this happen?

Last edited:

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I first noticed this when my brother wrote I was a looser on a balloon at my 8th grade graduation. I think they're trying to emphasize the 'o' sound but only put 1 o instead of more

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Spellings and meanings change constantly. You won't be able to read old English from hundreds of years ago without looking at a dictionary lol

Oct 25, 2017
It's been going on forever. They're very easy words to mix up. The annoying part to me is I automatically change it in my head, but every now and again I realise it was used correctly and have to start the sentence again.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
OP your posts are riddled with basic grammatical errors. Not sure why this one particular example bothers you so much.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Spellings and meanings change constantly. You won't be able to read old English from hundreds of years ago without looking at a dictionary lol

No. Words have meaning, and loose already has its own meaning that is entirely different from lose.

For example
"To lose one's shit" means to get angry.
"To loose one's shit" means to take a shit.

The amount of people that feel the need to announce the latter on this forum is really quite disturbing.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The most bizarre consistent misspelling I've encountered, and with multiple people, is writing "defiantly" when you mean "definitely". And in a world without autocorrect.

It changes the meaning in pretty hilarious ways.

"I defiantly want to grab dinner some time."

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Losing and Loosing does not fit that.

No. Words have meaning, and loose already has its own meaning that is entirely different from lose.

For example
"To lose one's shit" means to get angry.
"To loose one's shit" means to take a shit.

The amount of people that feel the need to announce the latter on this forum is really quite disturbing.

When enough people use it then that becomes its new meaning.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Four all intensive porpoises, I do believe its you're grammar that is not aloud to be uncorrect
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
b0YKGNF.jpg

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Four all intensive porpoises, I do believe its you're grammar that is not aloud to be uncorrect
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I see it all the time on social media.

I'm not too picky, but this one isn't usually done on "accident".

A lot of people really do struggle with loose vs lose. It is similar to "they're/their/there".

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric.

Purrfection. :wipes tears away:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are really bad at writing. Either that, or they make mistakes and they don't care. Same goes for awful apostrophe usage.

A typo in a text is one thing, but it's bad when stuff like this makes it into news articles and headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.