• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
8lqqF.jpg

Airlifts are part of the Deluxe Edition

Battlefield V Deluxe Edition
  • Battlefield V Standard Edition
  • Battlefield V Base Game
  • Battlefield V Open Beta
  • Paratrooper Gear (1 Set)
  • Immediate Access to 5 Battlefield V Weapons
  • Standard Edition Special Assignments
  • Early Access to Battlefield V (3 Days)
  • Deluxe Edition Special Assignments
  • 20 Weekly Items with Airlift
So, essentially, we know Battlefield V will monetize cosmetics in order to sustain it's GaaS strategy, giving other content for free while charging you for visual customization for your characters.

Although there isn't a lot of information out there on what Airlift is and how it works, what this tells us is that it seems like instead of buying Lootboxes for random items, you will be subscribing for weekly item drops that will give you some customization stuff at random.

So, my guess is that you can buy a "Hat" for 5 bucks or a pack of 4 random "hats" for 12 bucks via airlift giving you 1 per week in a subscription format... so... y'know... the longer you stay subscribed, the cheaper it gets and more stuff you get. I'm guess to a point where you would be a fool paying for any cosmetic you want when you can get way more stuff by just paying up for a full year of Airlift subscription services for weekly drops... y'know... pay a little extra, get a little surprise gift bonus every week? It's like Christmas! *

So, yeah... EA will try a different format for Lootboxing their way into Battlefield V.

*= Clearly my personal guess, there is no hard information i could find on this yet.

Mod edit:
PxB3MdJ.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/8qbucp/battlefield_v_airlift_items_clarification/

They aren't gambling lootboxes, they're predetermined cosmetics that everybody who pre-orders is guaranteed to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 28, 2017
The model of selling customisations is perfectly fine in my eyes, as long as you get what you pay for, and not a dumb chance box. I just don't want them to use a premium currency that always leaves a bit left over so you get goaded into buying some more to get another item, then you have even more left over. Just like the old Microsoft Points strategy.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
What exactly are Airlifts? Are they in the game outside of this pre-order bonus?

And I don't think the weekly aspect means it will be a subscription thing. On FIFA, some editions come with weekly packs just because.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have confirmation that they're all random items? Could be a simple track like Fortnite, or a combination of random and guaranteed rewards like Destiny 2's new punch-card thing.

IIRC we've known about the concept of airlifts since BFV was announced but they haven't added any more details since.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably better than lootboxes if the idea is to give people (whales) a chance to get stuff that they would otherwise have to play a lot to get.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This seems abit to early really. We dont know what airlifts and what they do. Nothing is right away "lootbox".

Azajabar

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Monk's Cafe
I have no problem with Cosmetic only loot boxes, hell I even encourage it if it makes Maps free, like Overwatch is doing for example

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Lootboxes are a very particular thing.

"20 weekly airlifts, each containing one customisation item" could be something more akin to a season pass for cosmetic content.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
They probably are something like lootboxes but besides the Deluxe edition it doesn't seem like you can buy them. I see no problem with weekly random rewards you can earn. Hell they might not even be random.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
In what world do you live in where a GaaS title won't have some sort monetization? Question is whether it ruins the gameplay, this probably won't.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Stay cosmetic and I can't say this really bothers me, but it does seem particularly shitty in this specific instance considering they were on stage and literally said no lootboxes.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about that says loot boxes. The fact that it's weekly makes me understand it's a specific customization item, no randomization

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Disgusting and people eating this shit up ''nah it's not lootboxes it's different'' are even more disgusting

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly airlifts could literally be lootboxes and so long as you can buy each item individually I can't see any issues.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with lootboxes, as long as the game doesn't route unlocks through them.

If they have an Alpha Pack style system like R6 siege, that would be awesome.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you can outright buy all of the cosmetics there's no issue here.

But your polka dot gloves, and I'll win whatever from air lifts.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We did away with collateralized debt obligations, but we have a new product called bespoke tranche opportunities.

fucking EA.

I'm totally ok with it, if it's for cosmetics only.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think these 'Airlifts' are still loot boxes. There's an incentive to pay for the Airlift subscription so a player can try to get every item or at the least the items they like best (like the rarer items) instead of paying for the individual items (which are likely to be costly on their own). This is still a mechanism that preys on people with obsessive tendencies.

Unless the individual items are $1 - which would be extremely cheap and would make the Airlifts trivial - I won't see this as anything but another attempt to prey on people.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so where was the outrages on lootboxes wen call of duty added loot boxes during the week ea patched theres out of battlefront2 ?

that month was dire but most of it was aimed at ea when other devs got away for free, you then have bungie doing there bullshit in destiny 2

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem as drastic as Battlefront 2's case, from what little information we're going by. Especially since it is cosmetic.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So they're offering you two different ways to acquire the same item? If that's the case, I don't see the problem.

Yup. If this is how it's going to work this is all fine to me. If people want to waste money gambling for cosmetic items when they can just buy it outright for less...well...who am I to stop them. Lol.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It could be a set item every week similar to the Battlepass model FortNite uses. Week one is a camo hat, week 2 a unicorn gun grip, week 3 a rainbow afro, etc. Which is different than a randomized lootbox.

May 18, 2018
you will be subscribing for weekly item drops that will give you some customization stuff at random.

I'd like more info on this. As others have said though, as long as you can buy any of them outright, not much of a problem here. Honestly, if there's not duplicates, (lol) then the sub thing would actually be a decent idea.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't care how they monetize cosmetics as long as maps and stuff are free it's all good

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Those propaganda posters people make to shit on companies. Yeesh.

Just wait for clarification from them before jumping to conclusion.