• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 24, 2018
orbH3Bp.jpg
This amusingly reminds me of the inspirations for Eevee's creation:

This early design had all the main characteristics of the modern Eevee: long ears, a fluffy tail, and a white ruff around its neck. Fujiwara said that it reminded him of a fluffy cat or dog-like creature one would see in the country. "Once, when I got lost in the forest as a child, I encountered an indefinable creature." He drew upon his vague childhood memories to create Eevee.

The designs for the evolutions came after; Fujiwara drew Jolteon and Flareon, while Atsuko Nishida (who is best known for designing Pikachu) drew Vaporeon and the other evolutions in later games.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't matter who said it. It was always a stupid quote. Plenty of delayed games ended up being bad. A bad game is going to be a bad game no matter how many times it's delayed.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Surprised tbh cuz I thought the real background of that quote was Miyamoto trying to excuse either Wind Waker or Sunshine not being out yet when the GCN didn't have a lot of games.

Oct 26, 2017
Still true, though games eventually do have to release and the devs shouldn't be overworked to deliver a freaking video game

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Wait, wasn't there an interview that had Miyamoto explain the true meaning behind that Quote after seeing everyone misused it?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it really matter? That quote has a nice ring to it but it doesn't apply in every situation, as history can attest.

Saying "rushed games from bad management that end up resulting in being full of bugs, broken features and cut content , truly suck monkey ass" would actually be more profound.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
That's what's interesting, the original quote just says that if a game is good no one will remember that it was delayed, nothing about a delayed game will eventually be good.

This, and the quote also pre-dates the modern type of post-launch support, so using that as a gotcha is dumb.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised given that it's a dumb quote.

Some games spend many years in protracted development and they don't end up 'eventually good' for all of their delays. It requires very specific and difficult to attain conditions to be met for time be all that you require to transition from a bad game, into a good one.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense, especially with the revised first half. "A delayed game is eventually good" never really sounded right to me.

Nov 8, 2017
When Miyamoto was asked about that quote, he didn't deny it:

Yeah but hes been in game dev for 40+ years. I'd be willing to bet he has zero memory of saying that but since everyone says he did he just rolls with it.

It's not just how long he's been in the industry, there's also a translation barrier. The phrase doesn't strike you as something that would be so perfectly flowing and witty in English unless somebody had taken a sentiment and translated it in a non-literal way. The closest interview quote we can find is similar enough in spirit that even if he had particularly good memory he could probably plausibly imagine that it was a reference to that or similar things:

When you get a hint of some great idea, everyone wants to work hard on making it a reality. In those situations, my role is to reassure all the employees who come to me directly asking, "do we really have the time for this…?" (laughs) But you know, it's really vital that the staff comes together like that and gets into that mindset. I have a phrase for that, "staff zenin ga creative", which I realize is a pretty vague way to express what I mean. The entire staff starts to feel like "If I let the game be released in this state, I will be ashamed." Because if the development team doesn't end up feeling like craftsmen, artisans… then it won't be a good game.

That interview was 2001, which is several years after people had already attributed the much more concise and naturalistic phrase to Miyamoto.

Indeed, this 2001 quote is actually very close to what Miyamoto's "clarification" is in the following interview (timestamped to 11 minutes):

www.youtube.com

Interview with Miyamoto: Star Fox Zero

Nintendo fans, unite!►http://bit.ly/NintendoFanI'm not even sure if I can do my usual witty description here. Nintendo flew me in to talk to Miyamoto about S...

The translator comes back and says "What I meant to say was if you release a game in a bad state, you will always regret it".

IMO this is pretty much case closed, but people will probably hang onto this interview and say that since he clarified what he was quoted as saying, that means he is admitting the quote was real to begin with - which I don't think it does at all.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
How come that quote ever got popular? Never seemed accurate.

There's loads of examples of delayed games released poorly (Duke Nukem Forever, Alien Colonial Marines, Anthem, delayed multiplayer game that has a 'beta' test)

And then theres also games that launch poorly, even catastrophically, and totally redeem themselves (No Mans Sky, AC Unity, Destiny 2, Diablo 3, every single Battlefield game lol)

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."

I think that was from an e3.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY

There's loads of examples of delayed games released poorly (Duke Nukem Forever, Alien Colonial Marines, Anthem, delayed multiplayer game that has a 'beta' test)

And then theres also games that launch poorly, even catastrophically, and totally redeem themselves (No Mans Sky, AC Unity, Destiny 2, Diablo 3, every single Battlefield game lol)
It makes more sense in a world without patches and updates.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

*Sighs*

The obvious point of the quote is clearly just that rushing out a game is bad. Also the quote is from before real post launch support was a thing, all the games you mention are from a completely different era.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

This quote predates online updates though. Back then you released a game and that was it, it was done.

And any game that was delayed and still ended up bad... well, you can say they just weren't delayed enough. Duke was rushed out the door once Gearbox got their hands on it, Aliens and Cyberpunk had clear dev issues and were also just released in poor states instead of delaying when they should've.

Technically I guess you can delay and reboot a game for decades and it will eventually end up good. Just keep rebooting until it is.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was like... known of something?

Either way, I've always thought it was a stupid-ass quote, and simply untrue. Maybe that's why I never put much weight into whoever was attributed to it.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020

It predates the whole update mindset. We're talking the Wii days, when they (nintendo) couldn't patch games. They had to release a special download when there was a game breaking glitch in Skyward Sword.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I thought the fact he didn't say the quote was part of the joke? I always assumed he had never said it, like a lot quotes attributed to famous people.

In any case, its a quote that makes sense, and it seems like something he would say, so it is good enough.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
That's insane, back in the day it felt like people slung that quote around pretty much constantly. Bunch a dumbass teenagers knew everything I guess.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
"A rushed game can eventually be good, but a delayed game can always still be bad." - Sun Tzu, Art of War

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
the line was never 'a delayed game is eventually good but a bad game is bad forever'

it was 'a delayed game may eventually be good but a bad game is bad forever.'

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
This thread is all about misattributed quotes from Shigeru Miyamoto.

I'm counting how many there are right now. (Hint: 6 different ones)

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
not really surprised, the vast majority of quotes are either inaccurate or blatantly false.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
a delayed game is eventually good

like cyberpunk 2077
I mean, despite how long this game was in development, it clearly needed significantly more development time and better project management.

The developers working on the game clearly knew this based on post-release statements we've seen, but higher-ups and shareholders were more interested in banking off of the hype behind the game and chasing GTA audiences than putting out something of actual quality.

If anything, that is a perfect example of that quote, regardless of who actually said it. Now whether the game would be good even if it wasn't a huge technical mess is another matter entirely. Probably not, since it's more "wow cool future" than actual cyberpunk.