• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA

Starts around 45 seconds in, but he goes all truther about 2m20s in.

I never understood how anyone could take him seriously after listening to this.

EDIT: Forgot he literally says "sheeple" @ 1m45s lol

Ah yes. I remember this. Everytime I heard him on GB I kept going, "I feel like a part of me disliked this guy at one point and I don't remember why". This was it! So bizarre cause he is pretty great on most podcasts and his games obviously as people have said aren't right wing at all. People really are confusing. Shouldn't be a surprise I guess.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There is no way. The content of the games he has made is so critical of capitalism, consumerism and corporations that I refuse to believe this unless more evidence comes out.

It would be devastating if true as he's been one of the creators ive most wanted to meet and potentially work with for nigh in decades and this would shatter that aspiration entirely.
Oddworld's Lorne Lanning? The guy who built his entire career on games that critique the dehumanizing nature of capitalism, worker exploitation, subjugation of "lesser" races, and the greed-driven destruction of our natural environment?

That Lorne Lanning?
People can be fucking hypocrites.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I didn't know Lorne Lanning was only a recent discovery in the video game industry.

In that milkshake duck is about the immediate rise of a new sensation, only to discover some shady background behind the individual not too long after.

Thanks for the correction

There is no way. The content of the games he has made is so critical of capitalism, consumerism and corporations that I refuse to believe this unless more evidence comes out.

It would be devastating if true as he's been one of the creators ive most wanted to meet and potentially work with for nigh in decades and this would shatter that aspiration entirely.

Same. I'm finding it really hard to believe that Lorne is a rightwinger considering the games he's created. I can believe that he may be a conspiracy nut, but some kind of far right reactionary? That would suck.

Even when discussing Soulstorm during his recent interviews at E3, his commentary on the story and the themes it was exploring struck me as being very left-leaning.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I despise James Woods. Despicable human being.. if he even is one. But I dont follow him. Most people that do are going to be an asshole like he is.
Everyone decent should get too angry to see his ugly ramblings on their feed.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Even when discussing Soulstorm during his recent interviews at E3, his commentary on the story and the themes it was exploring struck me as being very left-leaning.

Was this the same interview where he called Abe an apolitical character and stressed that his games weren't political?

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Remember his 9/11 truther bullshit, his Iwata comments, his appearance on some Kinda Funny podcast talking shit about Nintendo/Switch (and now he's about to release games on it), always seemed very arrogant to me...I'd say no surprise there, but this is indeed a whole other level. No thanks.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There's an old saying, "Never meet your idol".

It's always relevant.

Most of the people that get worshipped on here are likely obnoxious nincompoops with questionable opinions and beliefs in real life.

And when people are so quick to defend their idols; ask yourself whether they would do the same for you.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I have have experienced quite a few milkshake ducks reveals but, in many cases, I have continued to follow people I detest and whose rhetoric I find deplorable, so that I understand and know how to address their talking points.

Guys like Tim Soret of Last Nite and his rampant pro-gun anti-feminist feed, a retro gaming twitter called 'have you accepted mega cd into your hearts' and many cryptocurrency analysts love Trump and rave about him on the daily or continuously post Stefan Molyneux unironically. It has a polluting and demoralizing effect, and I always find them brazenly defying my own sense of logic, but at the end of the day I feel it's necessary to understand that these people exist and thrive online, and am reassured they can be disarmed.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the unexpectedly and deeply disappointed crowd. The Oddworld series always had a special place in my heart. Didn't know he had a history as a 9/11 "truther", either.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to go the guilt by association route, then go right ahead. Just ignore everything else in his feed so you can get that zinger, though.

He calls Boogie his friend. That's sus as fuck, but it could also be a blindspot where he doesn't know his friend is a Nazi apologist, woman abusing racist piece of shit.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Only bumping this because after the Stranger's Wrath HD announcement, saw people saying they can't support it because of Lorne Lanning. I used to love him chatting about game development, and when he was a Giantbomb E3 guest. Had no idea he was far right.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Oddworld's Lorne Lanning? The guy who built his entire career on games that critique the dehumanizing nature of capitalism, worker exploitation, subjugation of "lesser" races, and the greed-driven destruction of our natural environment?

That Lorne Lanning?

Maybe he wasn't critiquing so much as getting off on it.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Only bumping this because after the Stranger's Wrath HD announcement, saw people saying they can't support it because of Lorne Lanning. I used to love him chatting about game development, and when he was a Giantbomb E3 guest. Had no idea he was far right.
Well, I was a sound designer at Oddworld for a brief period of time. Coming from personal experience with Lorne, I don't think it's accurate to project him as far right or to put his political ideology in a simple box. I spent hours, days, and months talking to him about everything, specifically politics. Ultimately the man has very diverse opinions across the political spectrum.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, I was a sound designer at Oddworld for a brief period of time. Coming from personal experience with Lorne, I don't think it's accurate to project him as far right or to put his political ideology in a simple box. I spent hours, days, and months talking to him about everything, specifically politics. Ultimately the man has very diverse opinions across the political spectrum.
Hmm good to know but the evidence of following and liking alt right content is pretty clear.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I mean, it's good to know he is a more pleasant person in general, but we have the evidence of this thread, and shit like this:

And I feel comfortable not giving his game my business.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm good to know but the evidence of following and liking alt right content is pretty clear.
I'm just giving insight on the person I worked 4 feet away from. Lorne displayed empathy, concern, and compassion for everybody I ever heard him talk about. In fact, the only time I saw him being critical was of his own work tbh.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm just giving insight on the person I worked 4 feet away from. Lorne displayed empathy, concern, and compassion for everybody I ever heard him talk about. In fact, the only time I saw him being critical was of his own work tbh.
People change.
There's a reason every time you see a celebrity go on an Ambien rampage there's a lot of people vouching for them.
The most charitable way of looking at recent Lorne would be to say he's clueless.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
People change.
There's a reason every time you see a celebrity go on an Ambien rampage there's a lot of people vouching for them.
The most charitable way of looking at recent Lorne would be to say he's clueless.
All I can call on is my first hand experience with the man.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, but these people clearly know him better than you ever could.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure. I don't know how his workplace is. Is it relevant in terms of how he acted around people of colour and women?

Oct 26, 2017
I get that, but it's more than possible to be a good friend, colleague and have a full spectrum of pleasant emotions and still post vile stuff like that anti-Islamic tweet.
You don't get "points off" your "bigotry rating" for not being 100% shitty all the time.

(edit) my point being it doesn't invalidate your experiences with him, and vice-versa.
Just, right now, certain people are harnessing bigoted attitudes like Lorne's to further their own agenda and distract form genuine societal issues. It's just something many of us can't shrug off any longer.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but these people clearly know him better than you ever could.
What a weird post. I mean, did he work with any Muslims while the poster was there? Is the poster white? Because that would surely explain his empathy and caring for that person. When someone is liking alt right tweets and racist garbage there's no defending it. Normal people don't do that shit.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved Strangers Wrath, don't care for his politics but that won't dictate my gaming
Good on you. Lorne is nice guy and a great person to his friends from my limited experience with him but also an asshole with harmful belief leanings. That's not enough for me to "cancel" someone personally. I won't listen to Michael Jackson, Brand New, etc since those people did something tangibly wrong.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on you. Lorne is nice guy and a great person to his friends from my limited experience with him but also an asshole with harmful belief leanings. That's not enough for me to "cancel" someone personally. I won't listen to Michael Jackson, Brand New, etc since those people did something tangibly wrong.

Someone with those beliefs cannot be a "nice guy."

Oct 8, 2019
I knew a bunch of people who were nice to me, and treated me very well, who would say some horrible racist shit, and I never said a thing just kind of got really awkward because they have been nice to me.

Here's the thing they were nice to me because I am a white male, if I was a Mexican or a muslim these really nice guys would have probably been assholes to me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but what the hell kind of logic is that? "Sure that person has expressed some truly heinous, bigoted beliefs but at least he never killed anyone" is just a baffling excuse.
I'm not excusing him of anything. I already called him an asshole.

My personal line for whether I will indulge in someone's art is beyond Twitter follows. For me to cancel someone they have to at least be outspoken about their beliefs (see Kanye West, who I used to love and no longer listen to).

That's me. I encourage you to know your own line and stand by it.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
What a weird post. I mean, did he work with any Muslims while the poster was there? Is the poster white? Because that would surely explain his empathy and caring for that person. When someone is liking alt right tweets and racist garbage there's no defending it. Normal people don't do that shit.
Oddworld has a very diverse team made up of various cultures, races, and idealogies.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

My personal line for whether I will indulge in someone's art is beyond Twitter follows. For me to cancel someone they have to at least be outspoken about their beliefs (see Kanye West, who I used to love and no longer listen to).

why is it a binary tho? people aren't divided into the cancelled and uncancelled

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

So... they can clearly have those beliefs (shown by liking horrid tweets) but until they're interviewed on television or some shit you give them a free pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.