• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I remember him doing an interview with Moriarty back when he was still at KF and them really hitting it off over their libertarianism, so this isn't hugely shocking

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Did I somehow completely misinterpret the messaging and themes of the games?

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the pile of people who could never reconcile his ugly social media bullshit with his art, which I consider fucking beautiful. Absolutely baffling altogether.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of Dan Simmons turning out to be a frothing-at-the-mouth bigot against Arab Muslims even when his most famous work, Hyperion, has a Palestinian Muslim as one of its main characters.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped having any interest in this guy when he came out as a 9/11 truther on EGM Live* over a decade ago.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Games are a collaborative effort so maybe others drowned out his weird ideas during development?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's disappointing. The Oddworld games were very special to me. So many of those Likes are a big oof.

Oct 31, 2017
He always gave off a vibe like he's the kind of person who prides himself on thinking the opposite of whatever "they" want you to think. This can result in revolting against "pc" culture and also being a shithead.

Sounds like a "free thinking libertarian" contrarian. What could be more contrarian in a pluralistic liberal democratic society than to embrace white nationalist Fascism with open arms?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking the other day about how the single most recurrent theme in Orson Scott Card's works is a full repudiation of the opinions that he spouts off. Some are about as explicit as you can get about it without saying "THIS BOOK IS ABOUT HOW HATING GAY PEOPLE IS WRONG"
Tangentially, this is actually pretty fascinating to me as a student of how how artistic media affects societies. It's not the first time we see it either. Like how Star Wars is pretty explicit in it's fight against an fascist regime that stifles diversity having fans of the franchise that lose their shit at a woman or black guy being their protagonists. Same with MCU being largely progressive, yet people upset at Black Panther or Captain Marvel, or Star Trek in particular being an idealistic vision of the future regarding it's politics, yet Michael, a black woman, as the protagonist of Star Trek was still met with controversy.

I remember how Ron Paul tweeted that he really likes Rage Against the Machine and the singer of that band responded "What machine do you think we're raging against? It's you"

I realize these are slightly different examples as these are fans liking things and then disavowing their internal messaging as opposed to creators writing messaging that they apparently disavow in real life, but still, it's so weird how people can be connected to stories without taking in their actual aesops or themes.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely possible that the Oddworld games were a critique of capitalism, but only because that was the most extreme contrarian position he'd gravitated to at the time.

Pretty much all the high school acquiantences I knew who ended up being alt-right chuds were huge anti-Bush/racism/Iraq War/police brutality/gun, probably only because those were the "anti-establishment" positions in the early 00s.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Did not know any of this and looking further into his likes, he's a big fan of Kim Dotcom and the Deep State, anti-Islam rhetoric, lots of George Soros conspiracies, stuff about the Caravan, anti-Clinton conspiracies, lots of Pro-Assange tweets, and more. Such a crazy thing to see.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you run across a very quiet creator in a typically left leaning creative field nowadays theres a chance they might not be progressive as the rest of the industry

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't everyone remember that the dude was a 9/11 truther? He sucks.

Look no further than his recent toothless comments about the apolitical nature of a game about a slave breaking his bonds and bringing down capitalism.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Doesn't everyone remember that the dude was a 9/11 truther? He sucks.

Look no further than his recent toothless comments about the apolitical nature of a game about a slave breaking his bonds and bringing down capitalism.
He sucks for things way beyond 9/11 truth lol. The NYC fire commissioners just called for a new investigation into bombs in the buildings. The FIRE COMMISSIONERS. Maybe brought upon by the fact all their guys are dying of cancer and not being supported.

9/11 and the wars that followed were Bush and Cheney wars. The most corrupt motherfuckers on the planet and Republicans to the bone.

I'll never understand the left eating their own about 9/11 and that whole admin, which was completely fucked. Yes, 9/11 crazies exist, but there is a much more rational discussion to be had from it other than he sucks because of 9/11 truth or whatever. I personally knew a guy that died in NYC from those buildings, and there is a bigger discussion to be had about it.

That being said this is pretty surprising about Lorne. Makes it hard to look at his games and understand his thought processes.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Not to harp on but his latest liked tweet is Trump making a fool of himself at the press conference today. I don't know if he's seen this thread which he probably has as the usual suspects who hate this place have reported to him we trying to "cancel" him which isn't true.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
User Banned (3 days): Off-topic, inflammatory drive-by. Accumulated infractions.
I like Colin Moriarty

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I like Colin Moriarty

That's a weird thing to admit to.

twulhw4djcoz.jpg

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I am sighing very loudly.

I never knew about any of this stuff. This is pretty damn dissapointing.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Oddworld's Lorne Lanning? The guy who built his entire career on games that critique the dehumanizing nature of capitalism, worker exploitation, subjugation of "lesser" races, and the greed-driven destruction of our natural environment?

That Lorne Lanning?

Starts around 45 seconds in, but he goes all truther about 2m20s in.

I never understood how anyone could take him seriously after listening to this.

EDIT: Forgot he literally says "sheeple" @ 1m45s lol
This is insane. I always assumed he was one of the more traditionally leftist creators given the thematic subtext and a level-headed guy. Wasn't Will Wright a Republican? Wonder where he is these days.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
From all the interviews I've seen/listened to with him, he's always seemed like a super nice and thoughtful guy.

Him not liking Hilary, Bernie and being pro gun rights, seemingly puts him among half the American population.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
From all the interviews I've seen/listened to with him, he's always seemed like a super nice and thoughtful guy.

Him not liking Hilary, Bernie and being pro gun rights, seemingly puts him among half the American population.
Yes, we know that a large percentage of the US population has horrendous political beliefs. Thinking Ilhan Omar is an "an Islamic extremist voted into office by the large Islamic majority in a state that allowed itself to be overtaken by radical Islam" and her "mission is to infiltrate our government at the highest levels" is gross, vile shit no matter how many people believe it.

edit: screenshot
wJTR3Kn.png

Last edited:

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I swear to god if I see the name C*lin Mor*arty on this site one more time I'm going to ... well I'll be fine but I'd rather not.

also Lorne also seems to fav Adam Sessler's tweet I'm those screenshots, and let me tell you, he is a lefty with the best of us. Idk. Weird.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, we know that a large percentage of the US population has horrendous political beliefs. Thinking Ilhan Omar is an "an Islamic extremist voted into office by the large Islamic majority in a state that allowed itself to be overtaken by radical Islam" and "her mission is to infiltrate our government at the highest levels" is gross, vile shit no matter how many people believe it.

edit: screenshot
wJTR3Kn.png

Didn't see he liked that Omar tweet, that's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.