• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
According to an article from a Japanese showbiz news site named Nikkan Taishu, in which the site did an interview with someone familiar with the situation, Sega wanted to publish Lost Judgement on PC/Steam to further extend the series' audience but the protagonist's actor Takuya Kimura's talent agency refrained them from doing so due to their very strict portraiture right policy (very limited pictures of their talents even on their website). Sega thinks this doesn't look reasonable in terms of business and decides to end the series with the second entry.

Most of the above info is in the 2nd page of the article.

Edit: Some of you ask why the talent agency prevent Sega from publishing the PC version, as I say in the post, the talent company "Johnny's" have a very strict portraiture right policy, they don't want their talents' portraits on "a PC platform that is not a game console platform and connects directly to Internet."

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'd believe it, but I'm surprised they'd push through a sequel with Kimura at all then.

How does the streaming version exist then though?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Some of you ask why the talent agency prevent Sega from publishing the PC version, as I say in the post, the talent company "Johnny's" have a very strict portraiture right policy, they don't want their talents' portraits on "a PC platform that is not a game console platform and connects directly to Internet."

I just can't lol

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I half-believe this due to Johnny's and what went down with SMAP but wouldn't that include Judgment Stadia if that were the case?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'd believe it, but I'm surprised they'd push through a sequel with Kimura at all then.

How does the streaming version exist then though?

I'm guessing they already put too much work in. If this series is popular in the West, especially compared to Japan, maybe they realized they could just start another series/do more Yakuza spinoffs and not bother with the headache. If the games are really popular in the West, it doesn't really matter who the actors are, because most people in the West don't know who the actors are, versus in Japan where they would be much well known.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Lol yeah, I can see that.

But it's kinda weird that it only happened in Judgement, because lots of Japanese actors are already in Yakuza games and the agencies never had a problem with it. I guess it's because Kimutaku is the protagonist here, unlike the other actors who are basically just cameos in Yakuza games.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh come the fuck on! I wanted to play this

Edit: Some of you ask why the talent agency prevent Sega from publishing the PC version, as I say in the post, the talent company "Johnny's" have a very strict portraiture right policy, they don't want their talents' portraits on "a PC platform that is not a game console platform and connects directly to Internet."

And this is bafflingly stupid. Especially the bolded.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah, I can see that.

But it's kinda weird that it only happened in Judgement, because lots of Japanese actors are already in Yakuza games and the agencies never had a problem with it. I guess it's because Kimutaku is the protagonist here, unlike the other actors who are basically just cameos in Yakuza games.
I am not sure if there were other actors from Johnny's that was in Yakuza series, at least as prominent role like Kimutaku.

It's not that he is a top actor in Japan. It's that he is a top actor "that belongs to Johnny's company" that is the issue. Johnny's is weird and strict as fuck.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just make a new lead character and keep the Judgement franchise going?
They could, but Kimura is a big deal in Japan. I suppose they'd already made concessions in the first game (like no karaoke stuff because he'd presumably be unbelievably expensive to license for music), and this was just another one.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. Are they afriad of people modding or something? What's the difference between pc and console to them?

I guess because it's still profitable thanks to his face and performance? Maybe they'll try to push another lead character in the sequel in case a third title is viable.

overtoncanon

Mar 14, 2021
I guess it makes sense from a average japanese person's standpoint. PC gaming is not big at all in japan and to the majority of people there a PC is not viewed as anything more than a work/school device. On top of maybe the talent agency not wanting their actor to have mods that put him in a negative light to occur.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I am not sure if there were other actors from Johnny's that was in Yakuza series, at least as prominent role like Kimutaku.

It's not that he is a top actor in Japan. It's that he is a top actor "that belongs to Johnny's company" that is the issue. Johnny's is weird and strict as fuck.
Right. Somehow I thought that the likes of Shun Oguri, Hiroki Narimiya, and Takumi Saitoh belong in Johnny's group too. I don't really pay attention to it.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
unknown.png

overtoncanon

Mar 14, 2021
This is it in my opinion, they fear the nude mods. (which is not negative for me, but hey, i am only the center of my visible universe)
That and I genuinely think the people in these agencies may not even have any clue what steam is based on the way the article writer even describes it within the article. I wouldn't be surprised either that Sega of Japan had a incompetency to explain how pc gaming is basically neck and neck with playstation on a worldwide scale. Unfortunate all around I really enjoyed judgement more so than even yakuza.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so fucking stupid it has to be real. Nobody could make this shit up.

Like, how do you even make a game these days without considering this sort of thing way ahead of time and realizing it wouldn't be worth it from the get go. This ain't fucking, a stupid licensed song from a game that can out in 2002 or something.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
This is the same talent studio that prohibited articles/sites using picture of their talent on the internet previews, so you end up with stuff like this:

NfEN5AX.jpg

Be7BTOd.jpg

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
thats a massive fucking shame. Both the fact that its not on PC and the fact that the series could be ending because of stupid shit like this.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
This seems especially ridiculous but not particularly surprising given some of the weird rights and law stuff surrounding stuff like this.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Even if those rumours are true and they can't use actors faces on PC version it doesn't have to mean that they have to end the series. I mean, Yakuza games are known for including multiple protagonists. Couldn't they just swap the characters to include someone who is not bond with some stupid rules?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Even if those rumours are true and they can't use actors faces on PC version it doesn't have to mean that they have to end the series. I mean, Yakuza games are known for including multiple protagonists. Couldn't they just swap the characters to include someone who is not bond with some stupid rules?
If their main guy is gone, might as well just make a new IP and stick to making Yakuza games for a while.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
End the series ?
A couple of weeks ago i heard that judgment will be the brawler franchise going forward.

They should have checked the contracts those talents are on.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
The actor's agency doesn't want his photo on PCs, so the game that made him famous around the world is going to sell less and not have any more sequels?
Huh if I were the actor, idk I would be fighting hard to get away from the dumb people representing him. Jeez

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
why does japan have so many ass backwards laws with regard to intellectual property? good lord

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
" a PC platform that is not a game console platform and connects directly to Internet. "

I can't decide if this is too stupid or, perhaps more likely, there's something lost on translation. Still, what a shame, I like how Yagami looks.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I don't get it. Are they afriad of people modding or something? What's the difference between pc and console to them?
I wouldn't even be surprise if the one making the policy don't know what modding is lol.

I don't think the people enforcing this is even aware of the reason behind this particular policy of the agency and just follow what was written since forever ago that no one bother to change because that's just how it is.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So they have a right on the judgment serie? If sega wanted to continue it without yagami as an MC (honestly i want that too, yagami is a boring character imo) they couldn't do that?

That sucks... hopefully they'll be able to continue it with a different name

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I 100% believe it and it's really sad.

For people asking why they'd end the series... You can certainly argue that Yakuza is more than just Kiryu's story, but IMO it never proved to work that well before Yakuza 7 which is effectively a reboot they tried very hard to push to newcomers - might as well be a new series for some.

in Judgment's case I feel like the scope is pretty limited: it's effectively a law story/detective spin-off the series with a new character that proved popular.
They may try their hand at another kind of spinoff, but continuing that story of the Genda's Law Office and everyone involved w/o Yagami just wouldn't work.