Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Kind of in shock. Not sure exactly what happened, it was done over Google Hangouts and my manager didn't say a word. It was just the HR woman on the call. Access was cut off right away.

They let me go because my notes were not exactly how they wanted them to be, not joking. It's barely part of the job as a client account manager but I'd miss a word or two every meeting. Not sentence, word. And it's a gDoc so anyone could add the word if they wanted it. They warned me on Monday and then today asked if I could join a meeting. Lost computer access right away, couldn't say goodbye to everyone. Loved it there, the people and the freedom. Again, it hasn't hit me. I'm just angry and upset. Instantly cried right after they left the meeting.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Sounds like it wasn't just the notetaking, they probably targeted you with that description. Sorry to hear man.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like they made up a reason to make you fired rather than laid off in order to deny you unemployment benefits

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
It was so rapid too, this escalation. I didn't even think it would be an issue, my co-workers kept telling me it's nothing. Then this happens in the span of a week.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I too would be in shock if in that situation. Sorry to hear that. Hoping only the best for you. It's Friday, I just got home and plan on having a couple drinks tonight, I will take a shot in your honor.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I even asked for guidance from my manager this week because it was so serious apparently. She never replied to my email or Skype message but emailed me about other things she needed done by today.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
That explanation sounds like bullshit. More likely they targeted you for termination and used "inadequate note taking" as a flimsy excuse to justify your firing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
What do you mean targeted? I got along with everyone, there was only a couple of people (immature) who didn't like me starting in a high position. They're friends with my manager but that doesn't seem right either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I even asked for guidance from my manager this week because it was so serious apparently. She never replied to my email or Skype message but emailed me about other things she needed done by today.

Sounds to me like they had already made the decision to fire you internally and wanted you to just finish all the various shit they wanted you to do for the week before the hammer fell.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of stuff is not really what prevents you from getting unemployment.
Depends on the state. But yeah, you can often fight this thing in right-to-work states.

In related news, the phrase "right-to-work" is so perfectly awful. Like so many terrible conservative policies, it means the opposite of how it sounds.

edit: Should have written "at will" here. Thanks, Yaboosh!

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the state. But yeah, you can often fight this thing in right-to-work states.

In related news, the phrase "right-to-work" is so perfectly awful. Means the opposite of what it sounds like.
Right to work does not mean what you think it does. That has to do with being able to work in a union shop without joining.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
They didn't get rid of you because you missed a word in the notes.
Sounds to me like they had already made the decision to fire you internally and wanted you to just finish all the various shit they wanted you to do for the week before the hammer fell.

That seems so wrong. I got along with everyone, I excelled at the client relations, the data management and even helped create a whole system from scratch to track certain data that was super user friendly.

They would let me work the rest of the week knowing this?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right to work does not mean what you think it does. That has to do with being able to work in a union shop without joining.
Oh yeah? So still awful, just for a different reason. I've always known right to work to mean that you can be fired for essentially anything that isn't explicitly protected (like getting fired for being too old).

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, Sorry to hear that man I was let go a few weeks ago, It came out of nowhere especilly on the projects i was working on

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
They wanted to cut you and came up with an excuse. They were not interested in any improvement or correction. If they were, your emails asking for guidance would not have been met with a task list. That was just the stuff they wanted you to finish before they kicked you out the door. You probably don't have any documentation since they nuked your accounts but if you had some emails about the last week it may be worth looking towards and employment lawyer.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
That seems so wrong. I got along with everyone, I excelled at the client relations, the data management and even helped create a whole system from scratch to track certain data that was super user friendly.

Do you really think they'd fire you over a couple missed words?

Whatever the real reason was, I 100% guarantee you that it wasn't over note-taking.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
They wanted to cut you and came up with an excuse. They were not interested in any improvement or correction. If they were, your emails asking for guidance would not have been met with a task list. That was just the stuff they wanted you to finish before they kicked you out the door. You probably don't have any documentation since they nuked your accounts but if you had some emails about the last week it may be worth looking towards and employment lawyer.

My girlfriend is a lawyer so she told me to download two emails: the one asking for guidance that was ignored by the manager and another from this week were I was able to get criticism regarding my notes from the meeting last week from a different manager (she said they were perfect and didn't need anything additional).

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks OP.

One of my good friends, who was a good performer, got fired last year and it shocked everyone. He didn't do anything wrong, it was just a business decision.

I already knew it, but it hammered home to me that you always have to look out for yourself.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is a lawyer so she told me to download two emails: the one asking for guidance that was ignored by the manager and another from this week were I was able to get criticism regarding my notes from the meeting last week from a different manager (she said they were perfect and didn't need anything additional).
Smart. Get as much documentation as possible. This is extremely flimsy on their part.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

They would not fire you over something so petty like that. To me this sounds like they wanted to deny you unemployment.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Is your company struggling with the current situation?

Even if they're it's super shitty that they're making excuses to fire people, that's as unprofessional as it gets.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
As a manger myself. This is standard "find a reason" to fire you. If your quarterly performance meeting went okay then they had to resort to this so they wouldn't have to up a package and also deny unemployment. Truly shitty

sorry op

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Haha - ffffffffuuuuck 'em, OP.

Drag them through unemployment and being the biggest douche you possibly can be in any future interactions with them. You'll come out ahead. Nine times out of ten I see this, the person who gets fired ends up making more money at a better company than where they were let go. It'll feel so good to see your old employers looking at your LI profile in a couple months :)

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Had a similar experience and still question whether I actually slipped enough to get fired or they were looking for an excuse to reduce the headcount. You'll find something better that appreciates you.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

This is yet another sad reminder to everyone that our companies DO NOT care about us.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks guys. Just feels odd. Makes me question things and kind of reminds me that it's a corporation. I was 1 out 100s. My manager seemed like my friend and she exited the call faster than the HR woman.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys. Just feels odd. Makes me question things and kind of reminds me that it's a corporation. I was 1 out 100s. My manager seemed like my friend and she exited the call faster than the HR woman.

She was probably feeling guilty as hell. Also why she didn't talk. They picked some lame excuse to fire you because they wanted to cut the numbers.

So sorry. You'll bounce back. Good luck with everything!