• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
It was still a better game with more heart than all of XV and despite the barebones budget it was more complete as well. That said it's an rpg with a barebones budget attempting something to ambitious for it.

Er, I have my own complaints about FFXV (which I have to force myself to finish) but the relationship between the bros is way more compelling than the characterization in IAS so far.

Then again, at least IAS is an actual complete game so...

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand how people can call I Am Setsuna disappointing. With how long I've read people on forums complain about lack of old school RPGs, they finally make one and barely anyone seemed to even care.

I absolutely loved that the whole game is set in a dark, wintery world. The OST is one of the best I've ever heard in any RPG, and it took a lot of guts to make it almost entirely all piano. The battle system is literally Chrono Trigger, plus time based button prompts, meaning it's a better battle system. Every character had interesting story moments, and all the character designs were great.

And now with the new game, you can move characters into position before you use various arts. That could totally revamp the entire Chrono Trigger battle system.

It just goes to show that a lot of people really don't know what they want. They ask for it over and over but that doesn't mean they'll even bother to play it.

No, not at all. It has one of the best OSTs I've heard ever. One of the coziest games I've ever played. Play it over winter break and enjoy the snowy world.

banner_2750.jpg

If I could upvote a comment, it would be this one. I am Setsuna is one of the most wonderful gaming experiences I've had in recent years. Only thing I didn't like is the difficulty. It was too easy. Hopefully they've worked on that.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Er, I have my own complaints about FFXV (which I have to force myself to finish) but the relationship between the bros is way more compelling than the characterization in IAS so far.

Then again, at least IAS is an actual complete game so...
I don't know. Maybe? To me it's a matter of what kinda of characters you wanna build. Like let me preface better characters and more depth is always better but when I look at the Setsuna characters they ooze kinda the fairy tale vibe(Like Rapunzel isn't a in depth character study yet that doesn't make it bad). So I think that level of characterization works pretty ok for that.
Whereas FFXV feels like it wants to build up these realistic human people and to that end it just falls incredibly flat. The disconnect of expectations to what I see is so incredibly larger with FFXV than with Setsuna.

Nov 4, 2017
Only thing I didn't like is the difficulty. It was too easy. Hopefully they've worked on that.

The demo seemed pretty easy until I got to this first boss. Full party wipe on like turn 2. God damn lol.

Everyone should quicksave a few times once they get to the caves. Trust me. And don't forget your characters have mechs.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I am Setsuna is definitely one of my... least favorite RPGs. I'll just put it that way. It lacked a lot in the way of creativity. So much was boring about it. The endless snow, the small amount of enemies that ended up getting reskinned. The lack of real depth to the gameplay... and the feeling that the story was just a poorly done rehash of Final Fantasy X's plot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, this demo is literally the last chance I'm giving them. Hope it's good.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I felt bad for skipping on Setsuna. Yes I loved classic jrpg, but Setsuna and Lost Sphear don't really interest me much for some reasons.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I liked Setsuna just fine and am really surprised anytime I see it mentioned here as being bad.

Maybe some people just had astronomical expectations?

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, and I see Setsuna as borrowing elements from the battle system and nothing more. Weird that the two ever even got compared outside of that imo. Maybe that was the problem.

Would love to check out a demo for this. Environments look more varied than I am Setsuna and that alone is a good thing.

Nov 4, 2017
I am Setsuna is definitely one of my... least favorite RPGs. I'll just put it that way. It lacked a lot in the way of creativity. So much was boring about it. The endless snow, the small amount of enemies that ended up getting reskinned. The lack of real depth to the gameplay... and the feeling that the story was just a poorly done rehash of Final Fantasy X's plot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, this demo is literally the last chance I'm giving them. Hope it's good.
The star of this demo is the battle system.

Don't forget that once your characters have their ATB fully charged and you can select a move, you can wait instead and it charges the blue circle around their character picture (up to 3 orbs). Hit square with correct timing on any attack you want and you can spend a blue orb to significantly boost the attack, and add additional effects. Killing enemies with a boosted attack increases drop rates for items.

Really helps promote strategy instead of mashing attack instantly every time. You can sit and wait with Kanata for example, charge up an orb, move your character into any position you want and do one cyclone slash to kill multiple enemies and heal yourself in one turn instead of always selecting attack.

And a pre-emptive encounter where you run into an enemy to start combat from behind instantly gives everyone one orb and full ATB so it's a huge advantage.

Last edited:

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This game continues to look like every bad cliche that needs to be jettisoned from the genre mushed together.

Placing my faith in Octopath.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Is the demo on the Switch eShop yet? Not seeing it anywhere, interested in at least giving it a shot.

Oct 27, 2017
I Am Setsuna was fucking horrible, and this doesn't really look much better. And it absolutely bombed in Japan (and probably won't do much better in the West), so I kind of expect this to be their last game.

I feel bad for them because their hearts are definitely in the right place. But the outcome definitely hasn't been ideal.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Setsuna just fine and am really surprised anytime I see it mentioned here as being bad.

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, and I see Setsuna as borrowing elements from the battle system and nothing more. Weird that the two ever even got compared outside of that imo. Maybe that was the problem.

Would love to check out a demo for this. Environments look more varied than I am Setsuna and that alone is a good thing.
It definitely was way overhyped by a subset of people + I also agree with the asking price being too high out of the gate. I feel 30$ would go over better.
It's too bad though since I do think they have their heart in the right place. I really liked it mostly cause for me the love for rpgs from the creators came through.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dont think it's just chrono trigger, but games like Bravely Default, who's success seems like it prompted the creation of Tokyo RPG Factory. the idea of more games like BD sounds good on paper, but I Am Setsuna failed to live up to it

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, I forgot this was coming. I suppose I'll give the demo a try, since it's on Steam too.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Interested in hearing how this performs on Switch. Setsuna was pretty solid performance wise, even if I found little to like about the game (which was a complete bummer).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I just hate the art style for this so much, I think it's such an unattractive game. I'll try the demo, but the gameplay will have to be some sort of revelation to make me look past the aesthetics.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I Am Setsuna was fucking horrible, and this doesn't really look much better. And it absolutely bombed in Japan (and probably won't do much better in the West), so I kind of expect this to be their last game.

Considering how well I am Setsuna sells on Switch whenever there's a sale, I'm pretty sure that at least it will have a decent performance on that platform (Seriously, I'm always surprised how it keeps coming back to the best sellers section).

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how well I am Setsuna sells on Switch whenever there's a sale, I'm pretty sure that at least it will have a decent performance on that platform (Seriously, I'm always surprised how it keeps coming back to the best sellers section).

I think I Am Setsuna greatly benefited from there being almost no JRPGs on the system up until around Xenoblade 2. I think Lost Sphear will definitely have a harder time having any sort of legs considering Project Octopath Traveler is on the way as well, which will probably steal a lot of its thunder.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed Setsuna (although some of it was too simplistic and the characters/story weren't great) so I probably will end up getting this. Looking forward to trying the demo.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I think I Am Setsuna greatly benefited from there being almost no JRPGs on the system up until around Xenoblade 2. I think Lost Sphear will definitely have a harder time having any sort of legs considering Project Octopath Traveler is on the way as well, which will probably steal a lot of its thunder.

Lost Sphear is releasing in January though, I don't think we even know the release date of Octopath Traveler.

Anyway, RPGs in general seem to sell a lot on the Switch so LS has a solid chance (XC2 is currently in first place on the Eshop).

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I skipped out on Setsuna, but am a big jrpg fan. Should I pick it up? I need something to play on my switch after I finish battle chef brigade... I could also get Xenoblade I guess.

On topic; I think this looks a little better than Setsuna, but have the devs ever commented on addressing complaints?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this demo really didn't do this game any favors.

I'll be on the lookout for impressions when it releases, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nov 4, 2017
I skipped out on Setsuna, but am a big jrpg fan. Should I pick it up? I need something to play on my switch after I finish battle chef brigade... I could also get Xenoblade I guess.

On topic; I think this looks a little better than Setsuna, but have the devs ever commented on addressing complaints?
I've seen them asked that in multiple interviews. Here's one. There are others.

https://kotaku.com/q-a-i-am-setsuna-director-talks-feedback-snow-and-wh-1784829458

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't finish Setsuna. Pretty sure I didn't even get a third of the way into the game.

Here's hoping this one is much better.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Decent. RPGs never work great as demos being just thrown in. Didn't really get the need for the mechs. They seem a bit thrown in just to add an extra mechanic but didnt see them as a necessity in the demo. I'll probs pick it up for cheap (as I always planned) so unlikely day 1 so the demo didn't change anything there.

Raine

Nov 21, 2017
I've nearly completed I Am Setsuna, but am hesitant about getting into this one.

The UI seemed to take a hit this time around...

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the game on the eShop and... the fuck is SqEnix playing? 50€? It's a low effort game from a small C-team on an indie budget and recycling engine and even some enemy assets from Setsuna, this is worth 20€ at best. Just compare it with the just-released 9 Parchments and the delusion is extremely obvious.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017

Same composer as I Am Setsuna, Tomoki Miyoshi.

You can hear he even throws in a I Am Setsuna melody in there pretty explicitly. I wonder if they really are somehow linking these games as in the same "world?" The dev team video called it the Project Setsuna series. Who knows.

The characters use "spritnite" too. Same as I Am Setsuna.

This music sounds like a variation of the battle theme in I am Setsuna. I like it.

In I am Setsuna, they talk of ancient kingdoms and the Magic Consortium pretty much just turning the world into a dumpster fire.

I have to wonder if this is in a timeline before The Magic Consortium created the creature that gave birth to monsters or after Setsuna circumvents the Sacrifical Rites.

Or maybe it's just a standalone.

I Am Setsuna has a lot of good things. The execution lacked a lot, I felt. Specially when they have all this lore and information and they simply decide to leave it in logs or sidequests.

Can't deal with the hyperbolic replies here tho. Physically ill? Come on, lol.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I am Setsuna was one of the most boring JRPGs I have ever played, I have played better smartphone JRPGs.

Likely hard pass on this one. I wish they turned it around but this looks too similar to me.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved Setsuna, so count me in as one of those not understanding why it at times seems downright hated. The setting, the melancholic atmosphere, the music, the elegant character and story progression all in a game with a perfect length that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Looking forward to trying this demo, but I'm not sold on the new art direction. It seems "the same" without what made Setsuna stand out to me.

bluemax

Oct 25, 2017
I Am Setsuna just underscores how much people like Chrono Trigger for the art/music/story and not the game play.

Oct 30, 2017
Just played the Lost Sphear demo. I had to literally force myself to finish it. Just found every damn thing about it so damn boring and unimpressive, from the graphics, to the animation, to the artsyle, environment, to the battles...literally everything. Looks and plays like a DS game upscaled. How the fuck are they planning to charge $70 for this, same as games like Odyssey and Breath of the Wild? I just don't get it. I guess it's for people absolutely desperate for "old school RPGs"? I just don't understand. How can they justify the price for something that obviously has so little polish and such a small budget? Almost criminal.

Oct 26, 2017
Played the demo for half an hour. Reminded me of the Final Fantasy DS ports back when 3D handheld JRPGs were novel.

Maybe I'll try it again but was not impressed by what I played.
Octopath Traveller is miles better in pretty much every regard: writing, characterization, presentation, battle, etc.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Downloaded the demo and deleted it 5 minutes later. Just too oldschool, slow, boring and probably a huge time waster.
When a JRPG is going to impress me again?
The last one was...I'm not sure...The World Ends With You? 10 years ago.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the music here is better than Setsuna's, which quickly got boring and insanely samey (one or two standouts exempt).

Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo for half an hour. Reminded me of the Final Fantasy DS ports back when 3D handheld JRPGs were novel.

Maybe I'll try it again but was not impressed by what I played.
Octopath Traveller is miles better in pretty much every regard: writing, characterization, presentation, battle, etc.

A game like Octopath Traveller shows that Square-Enix has little "need" for a substudio such as Tokyo RPG Factory whose stated mission is to recapture the magic of an older generation of RPGs but seems unable to reach beyond mediocrity.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Is Setsuna really that bad? I've yet to get around to it.

I'll be picking up the demo for this though.
It's not bad, just rather mediocre. I am about to finish it, and I am having fun with it, but it's nothing incredibly special.

Soundtrack is decent, combat apes Chrono Trigger, but with more customization and new mechanics. I'd say the combat is the best part.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the demo and deleted it 5 minutes later. Just too oldschool, slow, boring and probably a huge time waster.
When a JRPG is going to impress me again?
The last one was...I'm not sure...The World Ends With You? 10 years ago.
May I introduce you to Shin Megami Tensei.

SMTIV and SMTIII: Nocturne are good places to start with that series.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Tried the PS4 demo and subsequently deleted it without finishing it after less than 15 mins. Just awful. Everything about the game feels bad, bland, and boring. Hits felt more powerful in Chrono Trigger, and that was in 2D. Just 5 seconds in and they already throw meta crafting concepts at you. Characters randomly appear and disappear in cutscenes. Characters move too slowly. The graphics are a crime against humanity. It's like there's not any sort of lighting going on, they look like bad PS2-era. Nothing feels good or rewarding, even winning a battle. Just the name "Vulcosuit" sounds lame as all hell.

Just, no.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the demo on Switch. This game is rough (and it's $50!). It looks bad, the writing seemed bad. Characters weirdly materialize in a strange way on the field screen.

Battle system seemed interesting, but it was pretty slow and disjointed.

Oct 30, 2017
Tried the PS4 demo and subsequently deleted it without finishing it after less than 15 mins. Just awful. Everything about the game feels bad, bland, and boring. Hits felt more powerful in Chrono Trigger, and that was in 2D. Just 5 seconds in and they already throw meta crafting concepts at you. Characters randomly appear and disappear in cutscenes. Characters move too slowly. The graphics are a crime against humanity. It's like there's not any sort of lighting going on, they look like bad PS2-era. Nothing feels good or rewarding, even winning a battle. Just the name "Vulcosuit" sounds lame as all hell.

Just, no.

You nailed it. Such a sloppy introduction to combat and mechanics too, everything is thrown at you and you need to figure out wtf it all means (and there is zero motivation to do so anyway). Everything feels lazy, sloppy, and outdated. It's insane that this is priced like a flagship game, and frankly insulting.

Last edited: