• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The game is trash. I suffered a lot to finish it.
I recommend buying it at best half its price.
Well... that's just my take on it. I'm not saying it's the truth, but it felt less polished than Setsuna (which is something...).

Edit : And I liked Setsuna, more or less.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Getting both extremes about Setsuna in here (love it / hate it)... I'm kind of in the middle feelings-wise so far, but admittedly haven't finished it yet.

Will check out this demo later though.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'll check out the demo for shits and giggles. Really have zero intent to purchase it though.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I think the demo lacked the charm of Setsuna. But the gameplay certainly feels similar whilst adding the mechs and different attack types in battle. But yeah, if you didn't like Setsuna then this won't change your mind. It's a shame it's pricier than Setsuna was at launch however. I'm happy to support niche turn based jrpgs but the price isn't quite there for me initially :( and well NNKII is out at the same time.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The story is predictable and often doesn't make sense. The characters are quite forgettable. The gameplay balance is pure trash, with bosses killed in 2 attacks while others destroy you almost before you can even select your first attack, or this specific enemy at the end of the game which is just a common monster but for some reason has an attack that can deal enough damage to more or less "one shot" your whole team if you're not under some shield fast, while everything else around is so easy to beat.

And the last part of the game is... to put it simply, probably as interesting as the second part of Bravely Default, in a way.
It's just far too broken to be sold more than 20$/€ whatever. Every indie games I played that were 1/3 the price were much... much better (whatever the genre).

I can't even recommend it to people who liked Setsuna.
To be honest I was almost waiting for it a little more than Octopath Traveler for some unreasonable reasons. It was so bad I was craving to play Octopath while trying to finish Lost Sphear.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The adventure of Lost Sphear begins in a remote town where a young boy, Kanata, awakens from a devastating dream to find his hometown disappearing. Chosen by destiny, Kanata must arise to face a phenomenon never seen before and awaken the power of Memory to restore what was lost in order to save the world.

To Far Away Times = 遥かなる時の彼方へ = Harukanaru Toki no Kanata e

Holy shit

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
So i just tried the demo and I mean.... I don't think it's anywhere near the reaction I'm seeing. It seems like a classic jrpg that could be fun once you get going. It's a turn based jrpg, it sort of feels how I expected. But I love anything jrpg turn based so maybe I'm bias.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Setsuna just fine and am really surprised anytime I see it mentioned here as being bad.

Maybe some people just had astronomical expectations?

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, and I see Setsuna as borrowing elements from the battle system and nothing more. Weird that the two ever even got compared outside of that imo. Maybe that was the problem.

Would love to check out a demo for this. Environments look more varied than I am Setsuna and that alone is a good thing.
Agreed.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Just based on one battle I feel like I'd probably like it a lot more than Setsuna. Because really, in a game where your attacks have AoE and positioning affects whether or not you hit or get hit sometimes, then why the hell wouldn't you show the AoE or let us reposition characters manually. Chrono Trigger had the same issue, too.

Definitely not getting it at $50 though...

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So i just tried the demo and I mean.... I don't think it's anywhere near the reaction I'm seeing. It seems like a classic jrpg that could be fun once you get going. It's a turn based jrpg, it sort of feels how I expected. But I love anything jrpg turn based so maybe I'm bias.
I feel the heavy comparisons to Chrono Trigger are the most to blame for this (and the very high price point, doesn't look like it has super high production qualities, though I guess producing in Tokyo isn't exactly cheap either). I am sure if you approached these games from a neutral point, they would come off a lot better. I am keeping them in my mind, for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I feel the heavy comparisons to Chrono Trigger are the most to blame for this (and the very high price point, doesn't look like it has super high production qualities, though I guess producing in Tokyo isn't exactly cheap either). I am sure if you approached these games from a neutral point, they would come off a lot better. I am keeping them in my mind, for sure.

You mean it was supposedly compared to CT and people feel let down?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
You mean it was supposedly compared to CT and people feel let down?
Yeah, I heard such comparisons a lot, and on a surface level their games share some gameplay and visual similarities with Chrono Trigger, the ATB combat system and how the fights are triggered on the same field, without transition to another screen.
It just doesn't seem very fair to any game or developer to expect them to hold up to one of the very best JRPG games, because you stop seeing the game for what it is, and instead see it for what it isn't and can never be.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I Am Setsuna is not bad, by any stretch of the imagination. It has flaws but I would not call it mediocre either, not compared to the majority of modern JRPGs. The soundtrack is fantastic despite being limited to one instrument, and the aesthetics are enjoyable (imo), if simple. The battle system is literally the Chrono Trigger battle system with some very slight additions, warts and all. The writing is bad and the Spritenite system is confusing and irritating, but otherwise the game is a very competent throwback JRPG. Mediocre JRPGs are things like Compile Heart games, Akiba's Beat, Valkyria Revolution, SO5, etc. Setsuna had far more effort and love put into it, and it shows. Also there is very little in the way of filler or padding unlike many JRPGs these days.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at one of the quotes

"Totally Promising"

You couldn't find anything better. I'll try the demo.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I heard such comparisons a lot, and on a surface level their games share some gameplay and visual similarities with Chrono Trigger, the ATB combat system and how the fights are triggered on the same field, without transition to another screen.
It just doesn't seem very fair to any game or developer to expect them to hold up to one of the very best JRPG games, because you stop seeing the game for what it is, and instead see it for what it isn't and can never be.

Yea that's why I don't get into the sort of hype people place on games. CT is one of the best games ever like you said, it's on its own pedestal and to expect something else to rival it isn't really that doable.

But the game on its own seems solid. People are so so quick to just write games off these days..

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand how people can call I Am Setsuna disappointing. With how long I've read people on forums complain about lack of old school RPGs, they finally make one and barely anyone seemed to even care.

I absolutely loved that the whole game is set in a dark, wintery world. The OST is one of the best I've ever heard in any RPG, and it took a lot of guts to make it almost entirely all piano. The battle system is literally Chrono Trigger, plus time based button prompts, meaning it's a better battle system. Every character had interesting story moments, and all the character designs were great.

And now with the new game, you can move characters into position before you use various arts. That could totally revamp the entire Chrono Trigger battle system.

It just goes to show that a lot of people really don't know what they want. They ask for it over and over but that doesn't mean they'll even bother to play it.

No, not at all. It has one of the best OSTs I've heard ever. One of the coziest games I've ever played. Play it over winter break and enjoy the snowy world.

Agree. The cohesive tone was fantastic, I don't get the hate either.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
That demo was awful, I was instantly turned off by it but I stayed strong and endured as much as I could.
Gave up after 15 mins.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with I Am Setsuna is that the budget was really obvious. All the dungeons look the same, even the towns don't look distinct enough (maybe except for 1).

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Same here, I just messed around with it a bit and liked what I saw and agree, maybe I just love these kinds of games. It should also be more expanded than Setsuna, which I already liked and was pretty decent. This seems like a nice next step.

Yeah, it seems crazy to compare Setsuna, which was always from the start advertised as a "small title," to CT outside of appreciating a few things they chose to inherit from it.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Tried the PS4 demo and subsequently deleted it without finishing it after less than 15 mins. Just awful. Everything about the game feels bad, bland, and boring. Hits felt more powerful in Chrono Trigger, and that was in 2D. Just 5 seconds in and they already throw meta crafting concepts at you. Characters randomly appear and disappear in cutscenes. Characters move too slowly. The graphics are a crime against humanity. It's like there's not any sort of lighting going on, they look like bad PS2-era. Nothing feels good or rewarding, even winning a battle. Just the name "Vulcosuit" sounds lame as all hell.

Just, no.

Yeah, it was really bad. PC felt very badly optimized too, especially the controls.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Just downloaded the demo on Switch. Does anyone know why I have to do to fight the monster since it seems like is blocked by a bunch of rocks?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the main problem is the price tag. $40 for Setsuna, $50 for Lost Sphear and $60 for Traveler is insane. I know Traveler is from the Bravely Default team but seriously, these games should be no more than $20 digital only. Not double to triple. If the games were $20, I think that they would do better sales and reviews wise.

Nov 4, 2017
Just downloaded the demo on Switch. Does anyone know why I have to do to fight the monster since it seems like is blocked by a bunch of rocks?
Turn into a mech with L1. Hit X on the rock.

I think the main problem is the price tag. $40 for Setsuna, $50 for Lost Sphear and $60 for Traveler is insane. I know Traveler is from the Bravely Default team but seriously, these games should be no more than $20 digital only. Not double to triple. If the games were $20, I think that they would do better sales and reviews wise.
I get what you're saying, I really do. But at the same time, 3DS games were $40 too.

I Am Setsuna being the exact same game, at the exact same price would've done far better on 3DS than PS4.

It's really just that PS4 gamers are not at all used to paying $40 for any digital games.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'll preface this by saying I'm someone who's passionate about RPGs, but wasn't able to play more than a handful of hours of Setsuna before growing bored.

Played ~15-20 minutes of the Lost Sphear demo, and... yeah, this demo (and game) have a lot of perplexing design choices.

1) Why am I being inserted into seemingly the middle of a scenario, on the world map, with a lengthy text tutorial on a random mechanic? I don't know anyone's name, I don't know these random guest NPCs in my group -- there's just no context for anything.

2) Why are characters disappearing and reappearing every 2 seconds for story dialogue? It completely takes you out of any immersion, and looks jarring.

3) Why are we still using the 3DS's unfortunate chibi artstyle? PS4 and Switch are both graphically capable of much more, and if we're cutting costs, 2D art ages far better, which brings me to my next point.

4) Why is there still no soul in Tokyo RPG's games? These chibi characters have no personality, no quirks, no cheeky or endearing animations. The characters in Lost Sphear don't even have portraits, so I have no idea what any of them even look like, beyond their chibi blob. If they're trying to recapture the magic of early 90s RPGs, well, they could start by investigating what made them charming and compelling to begin with.

All in all, I can see why this game bombed in Japan. Unfortunately, it feels even less engaging than Setsuna. It's depressing, because I'm loath to be too hard on any enterprising JRPG studio, as we sorely need more in the genre, especially if it harkens back to what made the classics so beloved. It just doesn't seem like Tokyo RPG Factory has it in them to recreate that majesty.

Thankfully, we know SE as a whole haven't lost their touch, with Octopath Traveler's demo being splendid and actually feeling like a classic.

Last edited:

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Is Setsuna really that bad? I've yet to get around to it.

I'll be picking up the demo for this though.

No, Setsuna was just not very memorable. Personally, i played it right after BotW, which was not a good idea, but i needed something to fill the void. It's very "standard", it's (like) a game you've played before. I enjoyed the game for the most part, but there was also a character combo (they actually team up for unique combo's in battle) and i found a very powerful combo early on, letting me basically blast through every battle.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'll preface this by saying I'm someone who's passionate about RPGs, but wasn't able to play more than a handful of hours of Setsuna before growing bored.

Played ~15-20 minutes of the Lost Sphear demo, and... yeah, this demo (and game) have a lot of perplexing design choices.

1) Why am I being inserted into seemingly the middle of a scenario, on the world map, with a lengthy text tutorial on a random mechanic? I don't know anyone's name, I don't know these random guest NPCs in my group -- there's just no context for anything.

2) Why are characters disappearing and reappearing every 2 seconds for story dialogue? It completely takes you out of any immersion, and looks jarring.

3) Why are we still using the 3DS's unfortunate chibi artstyle? PS4 and Switch are both graphically capable of much more, and if we're cutting costs, 2D art ages far better, which brings me to my next point.

4) Why is there still no soul in Tokyo RPG's games? These chibi characters have no personality, no quirks, no cheeky or endearing animations. The characters in Lost Sphear don't even have portraits, so I have no idea what any of them even look like, beyond their chibi blob. If they're trying to recapture the magic of early 90s RPGs, well, they could start by investigating what made them charming and compelling to begin with.

All in all, I can see why this game bombed in Japan. Unfortunately, it feels even less engaging than Setsuna. It's depressing, because I'm loath to be too hard on any enterprising JRPG studio, as we sorely need more in the genre, especially if it harkens back to what made the classics so beloved. It just doesn't seem like Tokyo RPG Factory has it in them to recreate that majesty.

Thankfully, we know SE as a whole haven't lost their touch, with Octopath Traveler's demo being splendid and actually feeling like a classic.

Yep you pretty much elaborated on all of the gripes I had with the demo.

If this is what they all sat down together and concurrently agreed that this demo was the best way to portray their game for the public, then it goes a long way into explaining why the game is the way it is. It's like a window in their robotic, joyless minds.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the demo.

Liked the combat system, using the mechs not only influences the battle commands but also can interact with environment, mainly breaking stones that blocked paths. Music is decent. Environment is more varied than in Setsuna which was snow all over the place.

But the demo is definitely rushed. Player is dropped into a middle of nowhere on world map with zero explanation of what's happening, though things become apparent by end of demo. Overall I'd get the game but definitely not at $50. Maybe during a sale that drops it to 30 bucks.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the demo.

The writing is still really poor. The world feels less unique compared to Setsuna, but it might feel better with more story context.

I like the gameplay systems like fast forward events, rewind dialogue texts, artifact system (being able to place and replace them, turn their effects on/off, etc.), and the combat system in general. Each player and move having its own range of attack is great and keeps encounters interesting. The momentum system and spiritnites also add depth to the combat. The Vulcosuits and Paradigm Drives are another layer of depth in the combat system. Managing VP and MP could be interesting. The skills having cooldown time could have interesting interactions with ATB charge and Momentum charge spiritnites. It also seems like you can switch members during battle, which could allow more combinations and flexibility.
So yeah, the gameplay systems seem great so far. Haven't seen anything on sublimations though, but I guess they're saving that for the full game.

Other than that, the game still feels bland as hell, and I'd say it feels even blander than Setsuna. The dialogue boxes are so plain, no character portraits, the skills have no element icons, etc. I'll definitely buy it, but it's good that Ni no Kuni 2 is coming out at the same time, which means by the time I finish that, this game would become cheaper to buy.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Completely agree. That's why barring a Limited Edition release, i always wait for a price drop.

Manggei

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the demo but no. This game is surely getting dwarfed by Project Octopath for me.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The biggest problem with Setsuna and (probably) this is that they're budget games releasing for $40-50. Production values don't even look as high as Bravely Default, which was a damn 3DS game. I think they'd be much better received if they launched for $20-30.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Octopath isnt even technically from the bravely team, the guy at SE who produced bravely is producing this. Its made by the guys who made akiba's trip.
This misconception is really gonna help them with the sales atleast.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just realized that the demo is also available on Steam. That's a totally unexpected move coming from a Japanese dev/pub.

Will try it later today.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Setsuna enough (good, not great overall), but man, this was a terrible demo.

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Demo felt like every mobile phone game ever to me.
Good thing is I went back to wander around in Octopath. Did that for an hour and was amazed again. Love everything abou it.