• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/entertainment/louis-ck-apology/index.html

Comedian Louis C.K. has said the sexual misconduct allegations levied against him are true.
He apologized Friday after a bombshell report by the New York Times the day before cited five women who said the comedian engaged in sexual misconduct, including masturbating in front of them.
"These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true," he wrote. "But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly."
C.K. went on to say that he is "remorseful" and has "tried to learn" from his irresponsible behavior.
"There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with ... The hardest regret to live with is what you've done to hurt someone else," the statement continued.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but that's still fucked up. I don't have any power over anybody, but I've never even thought of asking some random woman if I could take out my dick and start beating off in front of her. This is not a "power" thing. It's a "being insane" thing.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Well this is good he admitted that he did it, but apologizing nah bruh hopefully his career is over with no sympathy I hope it's over for him

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
"These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true," he wrote. "But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly."

Oh.... sweetie. Those women laughed at your preposition, they didn't accept it.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
As far as statements go, this is about the best you can do. That's not saying much, though.

Edit: referring to the full statement and not just the clips in the OP. Those clips do not adequately cover the bases.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but that's still fucked up. I don't have any power over anybody, but I've never even thought of asking some random woman if I could take out my dick and start beating off in front of her. This is not a "power" thing. It's a "being insane" thing.
Its both.

It is fucked up, but the fact that he had power over these women can't be denied.

It's a good apology, but only his victims can accept it, and it needs to be followed up by real change on his part.

Not much of an apology

How, exactly? He admitted wrong doing, showed understanding as to why it was wrong, and said he would change. What else can he say?

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How, exactly? He admitted wrong doing, showed understanding as to why it was wrong, and said he would change. What else can he say?

You're right that it's about as good an apology as he could possibly make under the circumstances. The problem is that his behavior is the kind of thing that you can't just apologize for. I mean, making a drunken pass at somebody? Okay, I can see an apology smoothing things over. But undressing and masturbating in front of somebody who thought they were just there to talk about comedy? We're in territory where even the most sincere apology isn't going to accomplish much.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

What you just said actually means that he's done nothing wrong since "being insane" is not something you can blame someone of.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017

He admitted to the allegations. And now he wants to listen and change? 15 years after the event, and only now that he's been exposed. He took his dick out in front of some strangers and now he's realised that's not normal.

Oct 27, 2017
He clearly flubbed this whole thing by pushing that "rumor" nonsense and not addressing it outright years ago, and obviously that shouldn't even matter in the first place because you shouldn't take your dick out in front of anyone unless they want you to, but am I allowed to still want more Louis CK content at some point in the future?

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
All things considered, that's probably as good a statement as he could have made? Step one in a multi step process in earning forgiveness.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope this leads to less worshiping of celebrities in the USA by the public. That's the root behind all this garbage imo. Inflating egos, feeling power over people, etc... people are fucked up creatures. Even good people have fucked up thoughts, we are good because we don't act on them. Give us undeniable power over people without accountability and you have this mess. If a random dude at work whipped it out in front of female coworkers he will get stomped. But the CEO of the company whip it out in a private meeting, people are first gonna be like wtf do i do now.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All considered, that's the best response I've seen in all this mess so far. He admitted, apologized and addressed the fact that he needs a shift in his career and personal life.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really good apology. Doesn't excuse what he did, but he's not defending himself in any way, or blaming anyone besides himself. It's honestly refreshing, which is sad because an actual real apology is so hard to come by when people get accused of this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more sympathetic if he hadn't pushed the rumors angle prior to this and then made a weird movie about his dysfunctions.

Acerac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this leads to less worshiping of celebrities in the USA by the public. That's the root behind all this garbage imo. Inflating egos, feeling power over people, etc... people are fucked up creatures. Even good people have fucked up thoughts, we are good because we don't act on them. Give us undeniable power over people without accountability and you have this mess. If a random dude at work whipped it out in front of female coworkers he will get stomped. But the CEO of the company whip it out in a private meeting, people are first gonna be like wtf do i do now.
Fairly confident that celebrities will be immune to the law for the foreseeable future.

A nice dream though.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Decent statement, doesn't change much.

What is policy for these people? Can we never enjoy their content again? How do they make it right? Would we be happy if they went to jail for awhile and 'paid their debt'? I just can never foresee and thread about Louis CK on this forum, no matter how far into the future we look, where it doesn't become all about this crappy stuff he did. Is that fair? Or should people get second chances? Genuinely curious.

Oct 25, 2017
This line, "At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true," uses the word "never", which is definite and concrete, so he better hope no one comes out with allegations he did it without asking, like whatever he was talking about in a private apology to one of the accusers suggesting he shoved someone into a bathroom, because then this statement of his falls apart like his previous statements on the matter.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
All things considered, that's probably as good a statement as he could have made? Step one in a multi step process in earning forgiveness.

I could have done without the "I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true" part. Comes off as "Well, at least I asked first, and that's the truth."

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I figured he'd have a decent statement, but I wished he addressed more about his treatment of the allegations over the years outside of "run from them."

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is good he admitted that he did it, but apologizing nah bruh hopefully his career is over with no sympathy I hope it's over for him

This is something I don't think I can ever understand. He seriously fucked up, but to demand a persons life be destroyed over it...seems kinda fucked up too. I don't want to make comparisons but his actions while disgusting don't seem worthy of having his life ruined.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's probably the best apology I've ever seen.

He fucked up all the same, and as he said - what he put the women through is way worse than what he'll get. He deserves what's coming his way.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to not be tainted by the fact that this apology is forced but, yeah, this is one of the best apologies I've seen.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Your damned if you admit it and damned if you don't.

However, admission shows some honesty. But seriously, you've had plenty of time to realize the immorality and harm of your actions. So forgiveness needs to be earned, if even in stock.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I could have done without the "I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true" part. Comes off as "Well, at least I asked first, and that's the truth."

Well, his very next sentence is him admitting that this thought process was incorrect:

"But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.""

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Decent statement, doesn't change much.

What is policy for these people? Can we never enjoy their content again? How do they make it right? Would we be happy if they went to jail for awhile and 'paid their debt'? I just can never foresee and thread about Louis CK on this forum, no matter how far into the future we look, where it doesn't become all about this crappy stuff he did. Is that fair? Or should people get second chances? Genuinely curious.
My personal threshold is if they weren't a serial sexual harasser, then I would be willing to entertain the possibility of forgiveness. Of course, it doesn't go without saying that they also need to prove that they have changed and are dedicating themselves to activism pertaining to sexual harassment and aiding sexual harassment victims.