• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

Controversial comic Louis C.K. performed another surprise set at New York's Comedy Cellar late Sunday night — and patrons were not happy about it.

"He went on around midnight," said a comedy source. "A few women walked out. He didn't address [the #MeToo allegations against him]. He was a little arrogant … he made some comment like, 'I've been off for a while, 'cause everyone needs a break,'" the source said.

One audience member tweeted of C.K.'s set, "I saw Louis C.K. at the Comedy Cellar last night, and I'm happy to report that his new material is just as bad as the old."

C.K., 51, caused outrage when he showed up at the same venue in August for a surprise comeback set. It was his first stand-up gig since apologizing for his alleged creepy behavior last year.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
"Louis C.K. performed a surprise set — again — at the Comedy Cellar on Sunday. One audience member told me: "I talked to a few women sitting near me afterwards, and they described a similar sense of tenuous discomfort, like, 'Is it OK to laugh at this?'""

https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1046915740325044224

So they wanted to laugh, but felt like they needed to be offended?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
What the hell, man... Him not even addressing that shit speaks volumes. What's he waiting for, to do it in a special? That opportunity likely won't come around.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If his material is "as bad as his old material," I think I'd like to hear more from CK's standup.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Maybe there's a way to rehabilitate yourself after what he did but a mealy mouthed apology and then cranking out some material that got a pretty middling reception isn't likely it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only remember this guy from when he dropped the n bomb in his standup over a decade ago. Surprised he's still at it.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed his stand up a few years ago. I don't think that he needs to never work again if he is truly remorseful and apologizes.

I do not think it is ok to just show up like this. He's basically forcing people to watch him. Yeah they can and have left, but it's shitty to have to change your plans for a night out because a guy randomly shows up and makes you uncomfortable.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Not even giving the audience a chance to vote with their wallets before coming to the show is such a cowardly move. Give it up Louis.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I know comedy is subjective, but if his new stuff is as good as his old stuff he'll be back to selling out huge venues in no time.

People forget all the time. Far worse people have gotten a pass, even in the #metoo era.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
One audience member tweeted of C.K.'s set, "I saw Louis C.K. at the Comedy Cellar last night, and I'm happy to report that his new material is just as bad as the old."

I always loved his old stuff. No idea based on this quote if it's more of the same or something new that they still don't like.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Louis C.K. performed a surprise set — again — at the Comedy Cellar on Sunday. One audience member told me: "I talked to a few women sitting near me afterwards, and they described a similar sense of tenuous discomfort, like, 'Is it OK to laugh at this?'""

https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1046915740325044224

So they wanted to laugh, but felt like they needed to be offended?
There's no conclusion towards the offence you imply. That's you filling in the gaps. Also, have you ever felt ambivalent? You know because people can have complicated emotions.

Last edited:

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
yet another confirmation that sexual assault allegations do not ruin men's lives or careers

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
So he's gone from yanking it in front of unwilling women to making jokes at an unwilling crowd.

Sounds like a man who's clearly learned what consent is.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
If Louis was as confident as you he wouldn't be sneaking into gigs unannounced.

It's been less than a year since this blew up. He'll work out new material for a while, eventually come up with a new routine, workshop in some bits making fun of how awful of a creep he's been, and he'll be back to cameoing in movies and tv shows by 2020.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the coming back on stage part that's irking people.

It's the expectation that he can just go back to the way things were because he said he was sorry after way too much resistance and denial.

His path to atonement is out there, but it doesn't start with him just rotating back into his old schtick.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's time to dust off his mother tongue and move to some place where they don't know him to do comedy

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't force people to like you. Louis C.K. should own up to his mistakes and take some time off. Instead he's making people mad at him.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not addressing the allegations twice in a row? Fucking yikes.

My feelings on this, he doesn't address them, he gets shit. He addresses them on stage, and people will give him shit for addressing them while telling jokes i.e. making light of it.

The better of the two options for him is just to do his set and try to move on. Address the victims personally if they want to be reached out to further. He already made his public statement.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont understand why people want Louie to address the allegations in the middle of a standup bit ffs

Yeah, that'd be a good move: "Louis C.K. makes jokes about sexual assault and #metoo"

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed his stand up a few years ago. I don't think that he needs to never work again if he is truly remorseful and apologizes.

I do not think it is ok to just show up like this. He's basically forcing people to watch him. Yeah they can and have left, but it's shitty to have to change your plans for a night out because a guy randomly shows up and makes you uncomfortable.

That's how the Comedy Cellar works. Bigger names show up randomly for sets all the time. The club is famous for that.

People want Louie's head on a stick as is, he's better off with the unannounced appearances than headlining somewhere.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
My feelings on this, he doesn't address them, he gets shit. He addresses them on stage, and people will give him shit for addressing them while telling jokes i.e. making light of it.

The better of the two options for him is just to do his set and try to move on. Address the victims personally if they want to be reached out to further. He already made his public statement.

I think this is tough. His entire shtick is telling raunchy sex-offender level jokes and getting away with it because his "father of two daughetrs" routine allowed him the deniability. He can't tell those same jokes anymore. Ever. Because the paradigm of where those jokes are coming from has shifted. Forever.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand why people want Louie to address the allegations in the middle of a standup bit ffs

Yeah, that'd be a good move: "Louis C.K. makes jokes about sexual assault and #metoo"
He's a clever boy, I'm sure he could come up with a way to address it in his stand up if he really wanted to.

Clearly, however, he figured nah, I'll just pretend nothing happened. Just back from a short vacation.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Get the fuck out of here Louis. Pretend someone with a lot of clout in the business jerked off in front of you and then tanked your career so you couldn't out him, and find a new line of work.

Oct 29, 2017
I think this is tough. His entire shtick is telling raunchy sex-offender level jokes and getting away with it because his "father of two daughetrs" routine allowed him the deniability. He can't tell those same jokes anymore. Ever. Because the paradigm of where those jokes are coming from has shifted. Forever.

This. His off-stage persona was part of the unspoken social agreement with his over-the-top raunchiness. He'd recount self-deprecating perverted shit with the implicit understanding he's playing it up for laughs.

He doesn't get that benefit of the doubt anymore. His comedy is no longer funny without said implicit understanding. "But why should he address it onstage tho???" completely glosses over this part. If he doesn't address it he's just a fucking pervert telling creepy jokes.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017

This is why I feel he cannot just ignore all this when he hits the stage. He has to work out a way to bring all this into his performance. It may not work and it may be the end of him as a comedian but I think he has to try.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Forcing a captive audience to listen to your standup isn't a great look for Louis CK, given the circumstances.