• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
And I posted why I was concerned about the terms used. The Me Too movement basically was neutered because of how the Aziz situation was handled. Women didn't even agree what he did fell under the umbrella of what it was trying to accomplish. You said earlier that why should you care about people who get hung up on these small things? Well those people make up the majority, and the best way to see that victims receive justice and support is to have everyone onboard. Because if you give someone an inch they will take a mile. Its an emotional issue but the best way to get things moving in the right direction is to not lead with emotion. Otherwise you end up alienating people who agree with you.
Bro, what you're doing is a textbook example of "Just asking questions" concern trolling and gaslighting. It's not clever and we all see it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel you aren't understanding what I'm trying to get at. But ill leave it at this. There is a large group of people who will downplay what he did if you try to label it as assault. Which will just speed up his return to the public. Just call it sexual abuse and because it sticks better.

You can drop the concern trolling now, especially as sexual assault does indeed cover what he did.

Theduce22

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So maybe you should read up on the exact allegations to gain some perspective before asking these questions?

Also they're not allegations. He admitted it happened.

Maybe if you actually understand what he did you will understand why his apology, brief hiatus, and return like it's business as usual is not acceptable.

So who determines how when and if he is allowed to resume his job? Do we just pick an arbitrary date?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So who determines how when and if he is allowed to resume his job? Do we just pick an arbitrary date?

What's so difficult to understand?

Some actual proof that he's made amends? Perhaps using some of his wealth to support sexual abuse victims, perhaps giving up comedy entirely for a while and dedicating his time to something that proves he cares?

Something, anything that would make his "apology" feel genuine.

All he did was make a statement, hide for a while, and come back like nothing happened.

There is no set rule, but this isn't hard to get.

What ever.

For the record I don't feel he should get a pass for this, and would have liked to have seen him prosecuted but "I'm just asking questions".

That's exactly what you're doing though, especially as you have ignored every single attempt from me to show you that sexual assault is a nuanced term and does indeed fit here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If he is able to address the situation in a well thought out and heartfelt way when he does a big special again, I'm interested. I could understand not wanting to address the situation constantly in smaller gigs - it would undermine a big apology/set based on his behaviour in a way.
His apology from back then felt pretty introspective, he seemed to get what was wrong about his behaviour and didn't try to paint himself in a better way than what he did.

I still think it's too early for something like this or something bigger like a special. I do not condone what the did in any way. He must have had a pretty warped sense of reality to think the stuff that he did was okay. IF he recognizes that, is willing to change/has changed and addresses the topic clearly enough... The business is known to have a rather short memory. I had to learn to differentiate art from the artist over the last few years and he's still the best talent around when it comes to stand-up imo. I can see myself enjoying another Netflix special at some point in time. Pretty big IF though and has everything to do with how he presents his return to the big stage.

Oct 26, 2017
He shouldn't be allowed to do stand up comedy routines at all. The fact that he's out working consequence-free and treating the fact he's a sex offender as a big joke is not okay.

That's not... what are you even on about? That's not how anything works. First of all I don't think anyone here is treating what he did as a joke, quite the opposite in my case, I've been saying that making it a bit is a supremely bad idea from a moral point of view, and that's without even going into what a stupid choice it would be professionally.

Secondly, who decides what job he can still do? Is that part of the law, that if you commit a crime you can no longer do the work you're famous for? Or is it just what you'd like to be the case? So if he shouldn't be allowed to be a comedian any more, should he be allowed to still do voice work? Can he be a plumber?

There are three groups who get to decide what he does next.

1) His victims. They had the right to speak out and if they choose, they have the right to make this a legal matter and see him punished by...
2) The Law. He's as much as admitted everything and a case against him would probably be open and shut at this point.
3) His audience. It's up to them if they can stomach his material, and they'll be able to vote with their wallet. They can boo him when he shows up unannounced to work on new material, they can walk out, they can avoid anything he works in. I'd like to point out that I can't even bring myself to watch his old stuff, as much as he made me laugh back then his material is tainted by what we know about him as a person and I sure as shit won't be seeing any new special he puts out, but that's me, that's the decision I made, and I'm not making that decision for anyone else, and neither should you.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I imagine he is going to address the situation at some point. Remember he is going just doing sets in clubs, just stretching out. Its like a disgraced football player going down to the 5 a side court for a kick around.

Theres no way he will be able to go back on TV or on tour without first addressing it.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus some of you guys really don't give a shit about women.

"Is it really fair that he can never be a massively wealthy and powerful celebrity any more?"

Yes it is. He can get a job bagging groceries or some other position where he will have no fame or power over other people. Bye.

Theduce22

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What's so difficult to understand?

Some actual proof that he's made amends? Perhaps using some of his wealth to support sexual abuse victims, perhaps giving up comedy entirely for a while and dedicating his time to something that proves he cares?

Something, anything that would make his "apology" feel genuine.

All he did was make a statement, hide for a while, and come back like nothing happened.

There is no set rule, but this isn't hard to get.

All I'm saying is he apologized publicly and apparently privately to these women but you have determined that was not satisfactory. I just get the impression you believe his actions are irredeemable and be should never be allowed to rejoin society, which is fine. I mean that's the mentality that led to us having one of the highest incarceration rates in the world . I just disagree with it.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Louis C.K. performed a surprise set — again — at the Comedy Cellar on Sunday. One audience member told me: "I talked to a few women sitting near me afterwards, and they described a similar sense of tenuous discomfort, like, 'Is it OK to laugh at this?'""

https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1046915740325044224

So they wanted to laugh, but felt like they needed to be offended?
Wasn't his old material about like master aging and shit

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Allegations shouldn't ruin a career.
Except he actually admitted it. So the lesson to be learned here is:
  1. Violently masturbate in front of as many women as you want
  2. Write and publish an apology
  3. Wait a year
  4. Go back to your daily routine
For most (if not, all) celebrities, you can skip Step 2

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
That's exactly what you're doing though, especially as you have ignored every single attempt from me to show you that sexual assault is a nuanced term and does indeed fit here.
It is nuanced, and I'm not 100% sure it applies here, even though you are. But if you guys want to jump on me like I'm concern trolling or in support of him that's your purgative. And if this is how you want to have a dialogue who someone agrees with 95% of what you're saying good luck with those who don't. I have never once insulted anyone I was talking to in this thread but I have been accused of supporting a sexual hassar and being disingenuous in my concern. I'm not coming at this from an emotional point of view and maybe some of you are, but god damn its frustrating having people assign points of view to you when its completely false.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm saying is he apologized publicly and apparently privately to these women but you have determined that was not satisfactory. I just get the impression you believe his actions are irredeemable and be should never be allowed to rejoin society, which is fine. I mean that's the mentality that led to us having one of the highest incarceration rates in the world . I just disagree with it.
Fuck off with this stupid bullshit where you equate America incarcerating black people due to racism with a white guy not getting to be a popular and famous comedian any more. No one is entitled to be a rich celebrity and his abuse of women should preclude him from that forever.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He should retire. Really gross when you consider what you consider what he did and what his career is based on. His wife made the right choice to divorce him and get their daughters the hell out of there.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
That's not... what are you even on about? That's not how anything works. First of all I don't think anyone here is treating what he did as a joke, quite the opposite in my case, I've been saying that making it a bit is a supremely bad idea from a moral point of view, and that's without even going into what a stupid choice it would be professionally.

Secondly, who decides what job he can still do? Is that part of the law, that if you commit a crime you can no longer do the work you're famous for? Or is it just what you'd like to be the case? So if he shouldn't be allowed to be a comedian any more, should he be allowed to still do voice work? Can he be a plumber?

1) His victims. They had the right to speak out and if they choose, they have the right to make this a legal matter and see him punished by...
2) The Law. He's as much as admitted everything and a case against him would probably be open and shut at this point.
3) His audience. It's up to them if they can stomach his material, and they'll be able to vote with their wallet. They can boo him when he shows up unannounced to work on new material, they can walk out, they can avoid anything he works in. I'd like to point out that I can't even bring myself to watch his old stuff, as much as he made me laugh back then his material is tainted by what we know about him as a person and I sure as shit won't be seeing any new special he puts out, but that's me, that's the decision I made, and I'm not making that decision for anyone else, and neither should you.

I said he's treating it as a joke by being like "I've been away I needed a break".

I think a man who exposes himself and masturbates in front of women, then forces them into silence should not be a celebrated comedian. His actions would get anyone else fired or arrested. I know he can do what he wants and I know people are free to enjoy his content and forgive him. Because that's what's happening, and you consider it a good thing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

It's not satisfactory, no. And it's not just his specific victims to consider here. The entire #metoo movement gets shat on when a person like this simply takes a little break and returns like nothing happened. The message this sends to victims of sexual assault and abuse is that men like this get away with it.

My posts clearly show that I don't think his actions are irredeemable as I literally listed ways in which he could prrove he wants to actually make amends, so you just didn't read them?

It is nuanced, and I'm not 100% sure it applies here, even though you are. But if you guys want to jump on me like I'm concern trolling or in support of him that's your purgative. And if this is how you want to have a dialogue who someone agrees with 95% of what you're saying good luck with those who don't. I have never once insulted anyone I was talking to in this thread but I have been accused of supporting a sexual hassar and being disingenuous in my concern. I'm not coming at this from an emotional point of view and maybe some of you are, but god damn its frustrating having people assign points of view to you when its completely false.

And it's been explained to you why your approach caused an emotional response, and you should be able to accept your part in that without playing the victim.

Oct 27, 2017
You can come back, Louis. You just have to address what you did and it has to be funny...and incredibly honest. Anything less and you can just stay away.

Oct 26, 2017
I said he's treating it as a joke by being like "I've been away I needed a break".

I think a man who exposes himself and masturbates in front of women, then forces them into silence should not be a celebrated comedian. His actions would get anyone else fired or arrested. I know he can do what he wants and I know people are free to enjoy his content and forgive him. Because that's what's happening, and you consider it a good thing.

I don't consider it good or bad, I consider it the decisions of people who aren't me. It's up to them if they want to watch him, I certainly don't.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The problem is you ARE concern trolling and gas lighting, and you're still doing it.

Edit: it happens all the time here. Someone concern trolls and gas lights, complains that someone else wasn't banned for insulting them, has a melt down about how unfair it is and how they're the victim and the resetera echo chamber is in full force, so much for the tolerant left, etc. I dunno why anyone thinks they're being clever with this shit.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
He couldn't even actually do that
I rounded up, but yeah, he couldn't even wait a whole year before getting back into the game.

He's learned nothing. I'm sure the vast majority of people who have those accusations behind them have learned nothing since (Cosby, Weinstein, etc.) but they also don't make light about it. Or if they do, they definitely don't go out and make light about it unprovoked.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck You isn't ban worthy?

It is, I missed that, and its good you controlled yourself. Still, when you approach a subject like this the way you did and there could be actual victims of assault in the thread, or people who know a victim, or people who just care about this a lot, etc... and when there is SO much concern trolling, and dog whistles, and actual ill intent hid behind "just asking questions", I don't think you should be upset by that personally.

And your posts do come across almost entirely as concern trolling, not sure how you can't see this.

You approached this a little insensitively and got an emotional response, if I were you I'd say "my bad" and duck out of that particular thread.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
Based on the audio of the audience applause I can only say that there are better ways to attack him than via dishonest reporting.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a background in IT, this feels like he's beta testing. He has no idea when or if he can ever do the thing he's good at again, so he just keeps trying new material and he'll probably try different approaches to his set until he feels like he has it figured out. And obviously he has to do surprise, secret sets or his audience will be packed with people who are there for the story and not for the material.

He'll probably do a really bad job of it for a while and we're probably going to hear of these surprise gigs off and on for a while as well.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
People getting mad he didn't address it, or didn't apologize good enough, or it hasn't been long enough... just be honest... you want him to disappear. Nothing would be good enough to you.

Louis is a pervert. We pretty much knew that before the allegations. He addressed it, and did a few sets at a place know for people coming on unannounced doing sets.

The audio shows the crowd was pretty stoked about it all.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that crowd sounds hyped...

What's up with this article/thread?
Focus on a tiny sub-group and make it seem like its the actual news instead of an outlier.

People getting mad he didn't address it, or didn't apologize good enough, or it hasn't been long enough... just be honest... you want him to disappear. Nothing would be good enough to you.

Louis is a pervert. We pretty much knew that before the allegations. He addressed it, and did a few sets at a place know for people coming on unannounced doing sets.

False. I want him to acknowledge it. I don't want him to go away. He's funny and a great writer. Better Things is one of my favorite shows, and it's due in large part to his and Adlon's writing and directing.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Louis C.K.'s style of comedy requires a level of performative authenticity that acknowledges his virtues and failings as part of his material as a way of establishing a rapport with the audience. Unannounced bits at comedy clubs are one thing, nobody is buying those tickets for Louis, but he's never going to get past this professionally if he can't work what he's done into the autobiographical narrative of his material. It would shatter the illusion he's spent years crafting.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Just be honest, you haven't actually read the thread.

People have literally proved your post wrong, they're not saying he can't return EVER, they're saying that his return after such a brief hiatus with no amends on show, like nothing happened, is not acceptable.

And it wasn't just allegations, it happened. He admitted it.

This person sexually abused women, and abused his position of power to silence them. If he were not famous he would have probably seen prison time, but he is and he's rich so he gets to just make a statement saying he's sorry, hide for a bit, and come back to applause.

I don't know how you think this is acceptable.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
False. I want him to acknowledge it. I don't want him to go away. He's funny and a great writer. Better Things is one of my favorite shows, and it's due in large part to his and Adlon's writing and directing.
Glad to know that getting entertained by one man is more important to you than women being safe.