• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
canada
If Chris Rock was able to take the time to talk about his unfaithfulness then CK should be able to talk about his shit.

I get that hes trying out new material and may do a larger segment on his sexual harassment in a special, but at the very least talk about it. and for the love of god dont paint yourself as a victim.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i'm well aware as to the reason for the consternation, and i share those feelings. there's been no real contrition or anything really out of CK since he addressed it initially, and coming back onstage without any kind of recognition of what happened doesn't assuage my skepticism about how he might eventually try to tackle it. i agree that there probably should have been some acknowledgement in a medium other than stand-up beforehand, but it's unrealistic to expect him to do a tour on material about him being a sex creep out of the gate. the whole point of doing these drop-in shows is to work on material for those tours - those annual hours are a result of those hours in smaller venues. putting his name on the bill will instantly sell out venues and result in a crowd who are attracted to the flame of the "BIG LOUIS COMEBACK SHOW" rather than the reaction a semi-neutral audience that wasn't expecting him would give. i guess he could attempt to do a tour with material he developed in a vacuum, but it would automatically suck since that's not how any of his other shit was created.

i'm not saying this as part of any "give him a chance" shit, especially since i'm not even interested in his "comeback" or whatever anyway, just pointing out that it's part of the process that would lead to a billed show. we're a little off of my original point here, but my initial point was that the audience at the Comedy Cellar wasn't being 'held captive' or having anything 'forced' upon them, and tbh the post i initially quoted is pretty grimy for the implied parallels between an audience paying for a comedy show and having someone unexpected do a set and actual sexual assault. just an unnecessary and inadvertently dismissive stretch imo

Again, I don't think it's a matter of being unrealistic, or this is how it's done in comedy.

Even if it is how it's done he could have, and imo should have, done something different, something more than just the usual.

Just doing the usual makes it seem like he doesn't actually stand by the statement he made, and has learnt nothing.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After having what he did on the back of your mind may provoke that you don't find his jokes (Specially sexually charged jokes or about current affairs) funny anymore , you know?
That is very fair and I can even share in the sentiment. What he did was uncomfortably close to the core topics of his humour...

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Different article about it that talks a little more about what he said during his set & how some of the the audience felt:

http://gothamist.com/2018/10/01/louis_ck_comedy_cellar_again.php
CK was working from notes for his 20 minute set. Here's how the audience member described it to us:

He didn't address any of the allegations directly. At the start, he made a joke about how it wasn't "unanimous" that people were excited to see him. He talked about how he took a "really long break" and was coming back now, but beyond those two mentions, didn't really acknowledge his past / the allegations. Some of the jokes were "kinda edgy but benign," eg some bits about tipping your waitresses or stopping mid-bit to say that he didn't like the material. He was basically reading off a piece of paper for most of the set.
There were a few jokes that I thought made people uncomfortable mainly because of the context. One was a joke about taking his 9 year old daughter to Old Navy and seeing that they have boyfriend shirts for 9 year old girls, and then graphically describing "oh, is my 9 year old supposed to be f-ing her boyfriend all night and taking his shirt?", and another was about how much he liked "his doctor touching him." He had a Freudian slip, saying "I love it when my father touches me" (instead of doctor). I don't remember that much more of the bit, it was late and I had a few drinks, but those jokes stood out as being kind of borderline.

People definitely laughed a lot and there was a lot of applause for him. The rest of the performers were all male, and I think if any of them had made the jokes that Louis made, the response would have been pretty solid too. I felt some discomfort because of his past and how some of his jokes kind of toed the line. I talked to a few women sitting near me afterwards, and they described a similar sense of tenuous discomfort, like "is it ok to laugh at this?", especially some of the edgier jokes.