• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Dude's main objective now is to ruin everyone's dates

"Wow, hon, this comedy place you brought me is pretty good."
"Well, I've read some good things about this club"
"...AND NOW FOR A SPECIAL SURPRISE..."
"Oh, that sounds interesting, I wonder who it..."
"LET'S WELCOME BACK LOUIS CK!"

tJaBJjl.gif

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Seems like then audience was ok with him, not sure what's behind the thread title.

Was he in jail?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's going to return to his career one way or another.

If he did an announced and ticketed show in NYC it would sell out instantly, so I don't understand why people are so upset over him doing a "surprise" set. At least in this scenario he's not making half a million dollars at Carnegie Hall.

SweetChinMusic

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2018
"Louis C.K. performed a surprise set — again — at the Comedy Cellar on Sunday. One audience member told me: "I talked to a few women sitting near me afterwards, and they described a similar sense of tenuous discomfort, like, 'Is it OK to laugh at this?'""

https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1046915740325044224

So they wanted to laugh, but felt like they needed to be offended?

Yeah that quote was a little bizarre to me. If you found it funny then laugh.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I really, truly, do not get the people who want him to address the allegations...on stage...while telling jokes.

Trust me when I say whatever you think you want is absolutely not what you want. It won't end well for him no matter how he tries to pull that off. The guy acknowledged that he's basically a predator of sorts in a confession (ripe with self praise and half hearted "apologies").

Him addressing these things on stage would be a disaster for him and the comedy cellar, and what ever he says will piss you off royally. That isn't what you want...or maybe it is. I don't know.

Either way, the best option here is to just let the market decide if he sinks or swims. Demanding he talk about his crimes on stage, I think, is just people wanting him to further burn down his career...which isn't going to happen.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
Address it sincerely in an apologetic way, make a couple of self-deprecating jokes about it and most people will forgive you. Simply ignoring everything is gonna make people uncomfortable and maybe even mad.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Sexual abuse then. Let's not quibble about terms.
I was honestly asking because I wasn't sure if what he did fell into that category. Words matter and if you throw around the wrong term it gives people the chance to discredit a valid argument.

Like how much damage was done to the Me Too movement by tying the Aziz incident into it?

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. I have no doubt he will still easily fill any scheduled appearance he set up. Whats with the random surprise sets?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly asking because I wasn't sure if what he did fell into that category. Words matter and if you throw around the wrong term it gives people the chance to discredit a valid argument.

Like how much damage was done to the Me Too movement by tying the Aziz incident into it?

While words do matter, in this context there's really no point quibbling about them. Calling it assault or harassment doesn't change what he did in any way.

Sexual abuse is sexual abuse. He exposed himself to women who were vulnerable to his position of power and had his people suppress their voices and effectively shut down their careers by having them blacklisted in certain circles.

He ruined thier lives, fucked their careers, and seems to be making a comeback without even attempting to make amends.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
While words do matter, in this context there's really no point quibbling about them. Calling it assault or harassment doesn't change what he did in anyway.

Sexual abuse is sexual abise. He expose hkmself to women and had his people suppressed their voices and effectively shut down their careers by having them blacklisted in certain circles.

He ruined thier lives, fucked their careers, and seems to be making a comeback without even attempting to make amends.
If that's how you feel fine, but I do see the danger in calling something the wrong thing because people who want to downplay what he did will take any thread to try and pull apart your argument.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If that's how you feel fine, but I do see the danger in calling something the wrong thing because people who want to downplay what he did will take any thread to try and pull apart your argument.

Why are we even worrying about people like that? Anyone pretty enough to focus on the term instead of the act to that degree would be ignore fodder anyway.

But, anyway, the definition of sexual assault is not as closed as you think.

The National Center for Victims of Crime states:[5]

" Sexual assault takes many forms including attacks such as rape or attempted rape, as well as any unwanted sexual contact or threats. Usually a sexual assault occurs when someone touches any part of another person's body in a sexual way, even through clothes, without that person's consent.

Usually, but not always.

He made unwanted sexual contact with these women when he exposed himself to them while they were vulnerable to his position of power.

He didn't have to physically touch them.

Sexual assault is a very nuanced term that covers a lot of thngs. Read the wiki page and you will discover that physical contact is only a small part of it.

Do you know that THESE women's lives were ruined? That's quite a definitive statement to throw around.

Sexual abuse ruins lives.

People abusing positions of power to silence victims ruins lives.

You can stop now.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
And you cant even apologize...….

I would respond in kind but with my luck I would be banned.\

Anyone who's more interested in the 'technical' term for what he did is only interested in downplaying his actions and probably can't wait for him to be back on stage. Just look at the comment directly under yours. If that genuinely wasn't your intent, I apologise for being blunt. But I still see no value in your discussion when what he did was unquestionably terrible and he absolutely doesn't deserve this redemption arc people are giving him.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone who's more interested in the 'technical' term for what he did is only interested in downplaying his actions and probably can't wait for him to be back on stage. If that genuinely wasn't your intent, I apologise for being blunt. But I still see no value in your discussion when what he did was unquestionably terrible and he absolutely doesn't deserve this redemption arc people are giving him.
And I didn't do that. You can keep your half assed apology because I know you don't mean it by still trying to insult me while giving it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And I didn't do that. You can keep your half assed apology because I know you don't mean it by still trying to insult me while giving it.

Your posts ITT came across as worrying more about technical terms than the harm caused to the victims.

I'm sure you can understand why people had a emotional response to that, especially when conversations like this are always full of dogwhistles and "just asking questions".

Oct 27, 2017
Sexual abuse ruins lives.

People abusing positions of power to silence victims ruins lives.

You can stop now.

You know, this unilateral attitude is why Louis CK is able to do his stand up now. If there is no dialog to be had about what transpired then there's absolutely no reason to talk about it and either you want to see Louis CK perform or you don't. Now the dialog is once again about Louis CK and the women fade into the background.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Audience didn't sound unhappy to me in that clip. But I guess if we post enough fake news articles about it it'll be true someday.

Fuck Louis C.K., but also let's try to post from better sources in the future.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but with all that has unfolded an audience has the right to know if one of the comedians they will be watching that evening is Louis CK wouldn't you say?

eh, I don't know. I think there are probably several reasons the Cellar wouldn't advertise big-name comics who drop in like that anyway, but I can see your point. In any event, the people who don't want to watch him don't have to, and it sounds like some did leave.

Louis ends his statement by saying he's going to go away now and start listening. Putting aside whether 8 or so months is a long enough time to really be 'away' and reflect, I think people were expecting that whenever he did return to stand up his new material would reflect what he did and what he has done since. Some kind of effort at rehabilitation, and a greater reckoning with what he did. And maybe it still will. But so far, it seems like he's trying to return his job like business as usual, which undermines his own apology and stated willingness to listen and learn.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
"Yeah I did it. So what?" isn't an appropriate response to sexually harassing someone and then kneecapping their career to keep them from talking.

Didn't he ask for permission? I'm not condoning what he did, but asking permission is more than most of the creeps in Hollywood did.
Technically yes. To anyone with half a brain, no.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You know, this unilateral attitude is why Louis CK is able to do his stand up now. If there is no dialog to be had about what transpired then there's absolutely no reason to talk about it and either you want to see Louis CK perform or you don't. Now the dialog is once again about Louis CK and the women fade into the background.

Your posts in this thread are transparent and disgusting.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This guys humor was brash and obscene and that is fun and makes me laugh but when you learn he is actually an obscene person none of it is funny anymore. He needs to find a new love because his ability to sell his jokes is gone.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Repeated concern trolling over sexual misconduct in a series of posts
Your posts ITT came across as worrying more about technical terms than the harm caused to the victims.

I'm sure you can understand why people had a emotional response to that, especially when conversations like this are always full of dogwhistles and "just asking questions".
And I posted why I was concerned about the terms used. The Me Too movement basically was neutered because of how the Aziz situation was handled. Women didn't even agree what he did fell under the umbrella of what it was trying to accomplish. You said earlier that why should you care about people who get hung up on these small things? Well those people make up the majority, and the best way to see that victims receive justice and support is to have everyone onboard. Because if you give someone an inch they will take a mile. Its an emotional issue but the best way to get things moving in the right direction is to not lead with emotion. Otherwise you end up alienating people who agree with you.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And I posted why I was concerned about the terms used. The Me Too movement basically was neutered because of how the Aziz situation was handled. Women didn't even agree what he did fell under the umbrella of what it was trying to accomplish. You said earlier that why should you care about people who get hung up on these small things? Well those people make up the majority, and the best way to see that victims receive justice and support is to have everyone onboard. Because if you give someone an inch they will take a mile. Its an emotional issue but the best way to get things moving in the right direction is to not lead with emotion. Otherwise you end up alienating people who agree with you.

He literally exposed himself to vulnerable women, then tried to silence their voices. The Aziz example has nothing to do with this clear cut case of sexual abuse.

And sexual assault covers what he did too, so this entire conversation is pointless really

Theduce22

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So what if he addressed it?

He wasn't punished beside having got take a brief hiatus from the spotlight, he didn't have to make amends, and now he gets to make a come back like what he did had no impact.

You really can't understand the problem here?

According to that article he apologized to at least one of the women privately. What exactly are you looking for? I guess I am not familiar with the exact allegations but regardless he admitted they were true. If he did something illegal he would have been prosecuted legally.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just say you don't care someone you like harassed women and get on with it. You're nowhere near as smart as you think when you bring disingenuous bullshit in here.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
According to that article he apologized to at least one of the women privately. What exactly are you looking for? I guess I am not familiar with the exact allegations but regardless he admitted they were true. If he did something illegal he would have been prosecuted legally.
Contrition. But as usual it's nowhere to be found.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

So maybe you should read up on the exact allegations to gain some perspective before asking these questions?

Also they're not allegations. He admitted it happened.

Maybe if you actually understand what he did you will understand why his apology, brief hiatus, and return like it's business as usual is not acceptable.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
He literally exposed himself to vulnerable women, then tried to silence their voices. The Aziz example has nothing to do with this clear cut case of sexual abuse.

And sexual assault covers what he did too, so this entire conversation is pointless really
I really feel you aren't understanding what I'm trying to get at. But ill leave it at this. There is a large group of people who will downplay what he did if you try to label it as assault. Which will just speed up his return to the public. Just call it sexual abuse and because it sticks better.