• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The art and production and all that on these shorts is very impressive. Incredibly so at times.

But goddamn is the first episode childishly edgy. The rest are edgy too but not awfully so, and handle it maturely for the most part. The first episode is just like some sort of weird deviant art fanfiction we're the writer is trying to figure a few things out with their own fetishes ornsomething. If I recommend this to anyone I'll probably tell them to skip that one.

A shame really cus everything else so far is pretty good, if needlessly trying too hard at times.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Just finished it. Quality of the animation and general staging aside, I am as-of-yet unimpressed.

The whole 'look how edgy and badass our female protagonist is after she's been raped' thing is overplayed as it is, if not outright frustratingly shitty. But it's such a fucking shitty teenage boy idea of what "tough female character" means. Even in the monster fight, it acts like it's going for something "complex" with penetrative rape imagery, as if it's going "Get it? Geeeeet iiiiit?" Like, good fucking lord.... I can easily see the director patting themselves on the back for that one, like they're fucking Zack Snyder or something.

I'll keep watching because I need something to put on while I'm getting some work done, and apparently there are some good episodes in the mix here. But that first episode was some real fucking hackneyed shit.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i was honestly fairly meh on most of the shorts. i thought the witness was really well done.

i liked the art for Good Hunting because it reminded me of Legend of Korra

if i had endless amounts of money i would pay all the people that made Sonnie's Edge to go back and rewrite the entire thing. its like they found a "feminist" 13 year old boy thats been raised by twitch streamers and asked him to write it. like what were they thinking. oh yeah she got cut up and raped, shes a badass now btw. i cant believe they just started ranting out loud to some dude about that girl's rape like that.

its funny because that short is the one im the most interested in and most attached to and I would easily watch an entire series about sonnie and her dual life as some kind of weird android and snake monster and trying to find real connections to people after trauma while balancing her underground fightnight lizard life. but holy fuck

if anybody here is rich and reading this, pay them to make an entire improved show please

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Feels a bit like ArtStation the show. People who can make some cool macho CGI but not tell much of a story. Definitely some great exceptions in there though.

To be fair making a 10 to 20 minute short seriously limits the amount of story you can convey without resorting to humour.

Just finished it. Quality of the animation and general staging aside, I am as-of-yet unimpressed.

The whole 'look how edgy and badass our female protagonist is after she's been raped' thing is overplayed as it is, if not outright frustratingly shitty. But it's such a fucking shitty teenage boy idea of what "tough female character" means. Even in the monster fight, it acts like it's going for something "complex" with penetrative rape imagery, as if it's going "Get it? Geeeeet iiiiit?" Like, good fucking lord....

I'll keep watching because I need something to put on while I'm getting some work done, and apparently there are some good episodes in the mix here. But that first episode was some real fucking hackneyed shit.

The episodes are all disconnected, like Black Mirror. Believe me I almost quit after the first too.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
How are there no GIFs of this show on the Internet, not even Netflix promos? Even the official Instagram features mostly unimpressive clips.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I've just finished the entire season, some were great but others were not so great. It was great to see the different art styles though, The Witness and Lucky 13 did have a bit of a Uncanny Valley feel about them.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The exposition dump right at the beginning with her tragic backstory being dropped at this total stranger's feet (seriously, what the fuck) felt like that scene from Wreck-it Ralph, but without a fucking shred of irony or self-awareness.

I mean, it's 15 minutes long. It's not like there is time to build a detailed backstory simply visually.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Almost every episode i've watched so far has been sprinkled with gratuitous nudity (what the hell is with the ridiculous amount of tit shots?), forced swearing and cringeworthy dialogue. It just makes this whole endeavor feel juvenile.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm watching this and the animation/visual stuff is amazing in many episodes and there are some intriguing set ups and twists and ideas, but...I definitely gotta side with the people making note of the way nudity and women's bodies are used in this. Some of that shit is pretty suspect. There is a RIDICULOUS amount of parading women's naked bodies in front of the 'camera' seemingly just to do it. And that all kind of ties into the 90s macho edginess feel of it.

All that said though...it ain't dull.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Vague spoilers for Beyond the Aquila Rift:

I really liked how they did the twist ending in this one, it's intriguing and implies a lot but they don't really spell out exactly what's going on or how it works or the nature of the entity/entities 'caring for' the main character. Definitely taps into that well of cosmic horror

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm watching this and the animation/visual stuff is amazing in many episodes and there are some intriguing set ups and twists and ideas, but...I definitely gotta side with the people making note of the way nudity and women's bodies are used in this. Some of that shit is pretty suspect. There is a RIDICULOUS amount of parading women's naked bodies in front of the 'camera' seemingly just to do it. And that all kind of ties into the 90s macho edginess feel of it.

All that said though...it ain't dull.

Nudity can be fine, but it's the amount of "sexualised violence" that Netflix put out a warning for in front on most of the episodes that raises eyebrows I think.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
But it's part of the story, that's why there's exposition explaining it. You may not like the trope but your complain was that there was an exposition dump.
Using a shitty trope like "this lady is badass because of rape" in a tossed-off manner such as that is real fucking gross. They could have gone with anything, handled it in any way, and they chose that. Followed by the unsubtle-as-fuck rape imagery later in the episode.

To call it "amateurish" is an understatment.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the episodes? I count maybe two.

I mean the warning. Hmm, I guess the whole series is rated 18 and has that warning?

Anyway, off the top of my head, Sonnie's Edge, The Witness, Good Hunting and the Secret War are the ones with various degrees of sexualised violence that can be quite graphic. Beyond the Aquila Rift's is kind of fine and kind of make sense in context but I guess it was just a surprising way to adapt a Alastair Reynolds story.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There are 3 episodes with nudity, as of what I've seen. Of course the two exploitative ones are near the beginning of the series. I don't blame people for being put off but it's really not that bad as a whole.

Still though, edgy enough to show tits, not edgy enough to show dicks.

Thematically
I think the guy chasing the woman should have been just as naked as her, to hilight that the cycle is the same either way (ie: implying that he also does a bdsm club dance in the version we're he's being chased)

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, it would have been so much better without the forced profanity; their gallows humor over the death of mankind is hilarious and still appropriate for kids.

It also features one of my biggest peeves, which is trying to make a Siri-like vocalizer deliver naturalistic dialogue, especially vulgarity; when she drops words like "pussy or "fucktard" or whatever it was, I roll my eyes so hard.

Ask Alexa how to say "100" in Welsh

There are 3 episodes with nudity, as of what I've seen. Of course the two exploitative ones are near the beginning of the series. I don't blame people for being put off but it's really not that bad as a whole.

Thematically
I think the guy chasing the woman should have been just as naked as her, to hilight that the cycle is the same either way (ie: implying that he also does a bdsm club dance in the version we're he's being chased)

Don't worry, they show big hard cock if you keep watching.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Nudity can be fine, but it's the amount of "sexualised violence" that Netflix put out a warning for in front on most of the episodes that raises eyebrows I think.

yeah it's more of how and why it's used thing for me.

I wonder how people would react to Witness if the character that was fully nude most of the episode and that did a striptease scene with the camera caressing their junk was a dude. That would be interesting.

yeah there is some more diversity with the characters and plotlines and a somewhat defter touch as I'm getting into the later episodes

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's pretty much a paint-over live video, like Waking Life for example, but much cooler style. If it's not, and is actually 100% 3D animated (like the 1st ep, Sonnie) what they accomplished is insanely impressive.

*edit* Here's some other works made by the same studio/director (NSFW)
http://www.pinkman.tv/tavistock.html
http://www.pinkman.tv/phillips.html
https://vimeo.com/207277178

It all has that same paint-over style.

That's pretty much what I think it is. Did you find any proof that it's not?
If you go to the creators website, he has a video on the making of another clip that people think is rotoscoped and directly refutes that it is such: http://www.albertomielgo.com/-making-of

The third link you have there is not rotoscoped and similar to The Witness in artistic direction for the most part, it is 3d animation with a painted over style.

I feel that The Witness is not rotoscoped and just meticulously created and that is why it looks so good. You can see the various pieces coming together across his different clips on his website. From colors, to location, to character look and so on.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Suits is very, very good. Shame its only a short.

Also with Ice Age, what a waste of Topher Grace and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I've been blasting through all of these and I've only got three left to go. There really hasn't been one I've disliked so far. Each one is easily something I could see being its own series or movie.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I really, really liked Ice Age for some reason...

Fridge civilization survives nuclear war and achieves the singularity before their eyes
"Huh..."
"Yeah..."
I laughed like an idiot.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I really, really liked Ice Age for some reason...

Fridge civilization survives nuclear war and achieves the singularity before their eyes
"Huh..."
"Yeah..."
I laughed like an idiot.
I feel like id be the same way if Aquila Rift happened to me. "Huh.. ok". I mean, the alien girl seems nice at least.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Yogurt was my favourite. Some of the ones with purposeless nudity or sex scenes were lame. Just seemed like mindless R ratings with no storytelling purpose

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
My favorites

1, 9 (the dump) 14 (Zima Blue)

2nd tier are the fun ones, Yogurt and Hilter alternate history

The rest are tropy trope cliches, frankly the animations are alot better than the stories

8 is basically Alita
10 is XMen
11 is Gravity with hilarious Stephen King bodily horror
18 is just the next Metro.

Is the Zima Blue story inspired by a noted work? It feels familiar.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
My favorites

1, 9 (the dump) 14 (Zima Blue)

2nd tier are the fun ones, Yogurt and Hilter alternate history

The rest are tropy trope cliches, frankly the animations are alot better than the stories

8 is basically Alita
10 is XMen
11 is Gravity with hilarious Stephen King bodily horror
18 is just the next Metro.

Is the Zima Blue story inspired by a noted work? It feels familiar.

An Alastair Reynolds short story, just like the Rift segment, both worth reading

Oct 27, 2017
So we're still whining about the human form but are cool with people's heads getting stomped to a pulp or cut in half? What a fucking world.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching Zima Blue. Was not familiar with the original story, and this was really quite beautiful. Clear overall standout from the show, so much so I wish they've done at least one more visual take on it.

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how far you've watched it, but there are some prominent penis shots in some of them. In one case at least, even a sexualized one - the kind you'd typically never even see in an M rated live action movie - although it's very brief (the beginning of Good Hunting).

My issue is not so much the human form but the skew towards male gaze and an overall lack of eye candy for straight women/gay men.
The werewolf episode was pretty much that, I thought. And the dude from Aquilla was naked a lot as well. Although, of course, the ratio of this stuff very clearly skews one way throughout the series.

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really corny so far, feels like those Machinima vids from the 2010s. The witness was visually great tho.