• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I have zero issues with the nudity. The violence and gore are keeping me from watching most of these with my daughter unfortunately, which is a shame because she'd love the animation in most of these.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonnie's Edge was CRAZY awesome, wow.

Three Robots was neat, a little on the nose though. But still great visuals.
Sonnie's Edge has seriously spoiled me, would love a full season following that timeline.

People with taste, class, and culture.

I don't care if Sonnie is the main character or some Dark Cyberpunk version of Ash fucking ketchem that's not destined to be a loser and is somewhat likable I want full blown Seasons in this universe.

I wish there was a survey I can fill out requesting this short becomes a full on series.

There's a few more I would like to see fleshed out.

I would like to see Shape-Shifters become a full movie.

The Secret Wars can do well as a mini series or movie.

I would love to see Good Hunting and Suits as a full blown multiple seasonal anime exclusive to Netflix.

Last is anything that expands what happened in the story of Beyond the Aquila Rift.

I enjoyed all of the shorts for what they are with the standouts being Sonnie's Edge by far followed by Suits, Beyond the Aquila Rift, and Good Hunting. I've never been so intrigued this much by shorts before.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, Sonnie's Edge had Arcane Studio's lead character designer on board, which is why some of the characters look straight out of Dishonored.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Super impressed so far after finishing Aquila Rift. There's been such an ambarrassment of riches over the past 5 years when it comes to the variety of scifi.

Prospect released on vod last week and it's an excellent, high quality low budget sci fi movie. Spare plot, but great acting and amazing design.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Super impressed so far after finishing Aquila Rift. There's been such an ambarrassment of riches over the past 5 years when it comes to the variety of scifi.

Prospect released on vod last week and it's an excellent, high quality low budget sci fi movie. Spare plot, but great acting and amazing design.

My second favorite movie of the year so far. The world-building and world design was amazing. Textured, tangible, believably rugged and grounded, like a sci-fi western offshoot of Ron Cobb's aesthetic for Alien. Prospect does a lot with its budget.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
People wanting more like Sonnies edge.

There an entire trilogy set in the same universe and a collection of short stories.

Peter F Hamiltons Nights Dawn series.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Feel like black mirror, but with machines. I love the skits, at first i thought it was continual series, turns out to be an anthologic episode

My favourite is The Witness and Shapeshifter. I also love Beyond Aquila Rift, but it is because the guy is so firing hottt

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Also, whats the original story of the The Witness? Because the story really looks like the adaptation of Appointment in Samara only with a twist

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Also, whats the original story of the The Witness? Because the story really looks like the adaptation of Appointment in Samara only with a twist
Unlike pretty much every other movie, The Witness does not appear to an adaptation of a short story as none is mentioned in the credits. I think this makes a great deal of sense because there's not really any dialogue or traditional narrative present - it's more about conveying a certain experience to the viewer.

Bonus factoid - the director's designs for the woman in The Witness bares a similarity to his designs for Peni Park (Into The Spiderverse):

peni02vqkjk.jpg

Last edited:

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
By the way, Sonnie's Edge had Arcane Studio's lead character designer on board, which is why some of the characters look straight out of Dishonored.

Wow, seriously? That explains the moment I saw Dicko I thought his design was lifted straight out of Dishonored.

Oct 27, 2017
Still don't understand why people think nudity is only a product of someone trying to be edgy but gore and violence gets a pass.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
This is terrible???

Just an adolescent wank fantasy. Did the writer crowd source ideas from 13 year olds?

Only watched the first episode but no chance am I watching any more of that.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen Sonnie's Edge so far, and is a little meh on it. The monster battle was great, and had some nice visuals. Everything else surrounding it was not that interesting though, and I didn't like the writing.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible???

Just an adolescent wank fantasy. Did the writer crowd source ideas from 13 year olds?

Pretty much my sentiments from the first episode as well. Pretty juvenile. But I'll watch a few more to see if they might be different.

Edit: 3 Robots is juvenile, low hanging fruit humor with annoying voice actors. The only really interesting twist is in tbt last minute of the short.

The Witness has a really visually appealing art style and aesthetic and cool Twilight Zone twist, but the sex and nudity parts just seem exploitive for no reason to the story.

Suits was my favorite so far. Cool style, appealing characters and really intriguing premise.

Last edited:

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Good Hunting was fine.
Most of these were about as compelling as your average CG trailer for a video game.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started the witness. Never seen anything like it visually.

Edit: this is what I envision games will look like next generation. Or at least, that's the kind of leap I want.

Last edited:

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible???

Well each episode is produced by completely different writers, directors, animators, studios and they aren't part of a connected story. Therefore your views on one episode have no bearing on the rest.

All that said, I do think there is an art to arranging a collection such as this and I don't think Sonnie's Edge is a great place to begin because the writing is crude and on-the-nose. They then follow it up Three Robots which is stuffed full of fairly vapid, surface-level humour. Not a great start.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Well each episode is produced by completely different writers, directors, animators, studios and they aren't part of a connected story. Therefore your views on one episode have no bearing on the rest.

All that said, I do think there is an art to arranging a collection such as this and I don't think Sonnie's Edge is a great place to begin because the writing is crude and on-the-nose. They then follow it up Three Robots which is stuffed full of fairly vapid, surface-level humour. Not a great start.
Sonnie's Edge may not be the episode he saw first. They are in different order for different people for some reason.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
6 eps done and Suit is still my favorite by far. Farmers fighting alien invasion is surprisingly full of potential especially with that ending.
I'd love a video game based on this concept.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really care for Sonnie's Edge myself.

It was gorgeous to be sure, but the writing just felt juvenile to me.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Sonnie's Edge may not be the episode he saw first. They are in different order for different people for some reason.

Everybody gets a randomized playlist since I got Aquilas rift first and sonnies edge third.

Some of the concepts were way more bizarre than I was expecting.

Sonnies edge was really cool however, and The witness is one of the most impressive CG animations I've ever seen.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
This is terrible???

You may not like the rest either. But I do think the first episode was the worst episode. Zima blue being the best.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible???

Which is the one you watched? they are all different things and everyone gets something at random so based on what you saw some are worse and some are really good.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
So Im not sure what theyre trying to say with the Aquila Rift ending.
Why did he move to the middle and his old chamber covered in biohazard?

bnM51Nk.jpg

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if it's random or if there' just a few different orders. Seems like most get Sonnie's Eege or Rift first, here's the order it listed them for me

Beyond the Aquila Rift, The Secret War, Sonnie's Edge, Sucker of Souls, Three Robots, Ice Age, The Witness, Suits, When the Yogurt Took Over, Good Hunting, The Dump, Shape Shifters, Helping Hand, Fish Night, Lucky 13, Zima Blue, Blind Spot, Alternate Histories.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if it's random or if there' just a few different orders. Seems like most get Sonnie's Eege or Rift first, here's the order it listed them for me

Beyond the Aquila Rift, The Secret War, Sonnie's Edge, Sucker of Souls, Three Robots, Ice Age, The Witness, Suits, When the Yogurt Took Over, Good Hunting, The Dumb, Shape Shifters, Helping Hand, Fisth Night, Lucky 13, Zima Blue, Blind Spot, Alternate Histories.

Yeah I find it weird myself. The order I got is

Sonnie's Edge
Three Robots
The Witness
Suits
Sucker of Souls
When the Yogurt Took Over
Beyond The Aquila Rift
Good Hunting
The Dump
Shape Shifting
Helping Hand
Fish Night
Lucky 13
Zima Blue
Blind Spot
Ice Age
Alternate Histories
The Secret War

I'm happy I got Sonnie's Edge first because it got me hooked and interested in seeing how the rest plays out.

Last edited:

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Sonnie's Edge
Three Robots
The Witness
Suits
Sucker of Souls
Beyond The Aquila Rift
Good Hunting
The Dump
Shape Shifting
Helping Hand
Fish Night
Lucky 13
Zima Blue
Blind Spot
Ice Age
Alternate Histories
The Secret War
For reference, this is my order as well.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017

Sonnie's Edge
Three Robots
The Witness
Suits
Sucker of Souls
Beyond The Aquila Rift
Good Hunting
The Dump
Shape Shifting
Helping Hand
Fish Night
Lucky 13
Zima Blue
Blind Spot
Ice Age
Alternate Histories
The Secret War

I'm happy I got Sonnie's Edge first because it got me hooked and interested in seeing how the rest plays out.
This seems to be the official order if you look at IMDB.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Haha this reminds me of how Space Dandy started off with some really divisive episodes before having more interesting stories.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Mine as well. I am in the US.
Got the same order here in Scandinavia.

Just watched 'Three Robots'. This was better than 'Sonnie's Edge'. Funnier as well, better writing for the characters, and it looked visually stunning as well. Humor wasn't hilarious or new and was pretty surface-level yes, but these three robots sightseeing together was interesting.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The ones I've seen so far ranked

1) Beyond the Aquila Rift
2) Helping Hand
3) Sonnie's Edge
4) Suits
5) Three Robots
6) Good Hunting
7) The Secret War
8) Zima Blue
9) Shape-Shifters
10) Sucker of Souls
11) Lucky 13
12) Ice Age

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Helping Hand is a simple thriller with AAAAAAAAA body horror. I liked it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Zima Blue sure as hell was interesting. I'm leaning towards not liking the core theme behind it but it still is an interesting premise.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about halfway through now, but am I the only one who thought that Sucker of Souls felt out of place?