• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

Any resources that are good for getting to know more about the world of Lovecraft, the creatures, etc...?

For example an encyclopedic book, a must read novel, etc...

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
It might sound silly, but one of the core Call of Cthulhu RPG books would cover a lot of this stuff in terms of monsters, scary gods, etc. Otherwise, it's all scattered throughout a whole bunch of shorter stories.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Note that Lovecraft himself never defined his world much. A lot of Lovecraftian lore was actually developed by other people.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There are annotated versions by Lovecraft's stories that really delve into things like the history behind the stories, characters, Lovecraft himself and so on.

OP
OP
Admiral Woofington

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is this tome called the Necronomicon. It's the best source for the info.
TIXd8vp.jpg

???

Black

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you OP for making the thread. I was about to do the same. I want to learn more about Lovecraft since it pervades all kinds of media.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
In one of his stories the cat of the main character is named "NiggerMan," that's how deep his racism goes. Still, his stories are pretty good despite his frothing at the mouth racism,
I actually think his weird mix of disgust, confusion and fear that comes across so strongly in Lovecraft's work about monsters and creatures is a perfect way to illustrate his racism. The subjects are different, but the base emotions are the same. If you want to understand white racial paranoia psychologically, Lovecraft is a good place to start. His personal letters about being creeped out at having to encounter Slavs, Puerto Ricans, and Italians on the train are pretty much the same as the way he describes fish people in Innsmouth, IIRC. I enjoy Lovecraft's work, and to his credit he apparently became less racist over time. But his racism is inseparable and impossible to ignore.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend you check out the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast. It was recommended in a prior thread on the other forum about Lovecraft: http://hppodcraft.com/

The two hosts are super nerdy but entertaining and really know their stuff. And, if they don't know it, they have guests on or do a bunch of research. They handle a story per podcast (longer stories are split up into multiple episodes) and they're like these pseudo audiobook/commentary (they have guests every episode who read passages from the stories, some of them are FANTASTIC) walkthroughs. I've read most of Lovecraft's more known stories, but these guys go through every one, even collaborations with other authors. If you're not into that, you can just download the episodes you're interested in.

Lovecraft can be kind of intimidating, plus his writing style can be, uh, verbose at times. These podcasts act as a nice primer or recap, though I of course recommend you read the stories first.

They also provide all kinds of recommendations for books and other media to check out.

EDIT: regarding Lovecraft's racism, it's absolutely something you can't ignore. It does creep into the back of your mind in stuff like Innsmouth. On one hand, he's describing a race of fish people, which are...yeah, gross, but you could easily switch them out for any other foreign group and it becomes an easy parallel for his xenophobia/racism.

Still, there are signs (in his stories and personal letters) that he recognizes the fallacy of his xenophobia/racism later in his life. It's an interesting transition to watch. I'm not saying he became a liberal/progressive bastion, of course :)

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Lovecraft had horrible philosophies and writings, but had great ideas about horror.

I wouldn't read any of his actual work, but rather other media that is based on his work (like Call of Cuthulu).

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Lovecraft had horrible philosophies and writings, but had great ideas about horror.

I wouldn't read any of his actual work, but rather other media that is based on his work (like Call of Cuthulu).
the kind of sad thing is, they are so interrelated. his greatest story, The Shadow over Innsmouth can be convincingly argued to be about his fears of racial mixing. But it is also one of the greatest horror stories ever written.

As a horror fan I love it. As a biracial person....ugh

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure I agree with you about the quality of his work. Racism aside, he has quite a few legitimately great stories, in my opinion.

(not trying to downplay the racism, just speaking specifically about his narratives)

Protagonist encounters some beastie beyond their comprehension, and they die or go insane.

Yes, unfortunately a large chunk of his stories share the same structure...

That said, it's a lot more stark if you read through a Lovecraft collection, for example, than if you were to have read them over a period of time, as they were published in magazines.