• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Series is back and this time looking at the duo from their 1st appearance all the way to smash ultimate

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Nuts & Bolts design is just nasty, I can't for the life of me understand how people defend it and even make the claim that it's better than the original N64 designs.

Smash Ultimate Banjo, on the other hand, is perfect.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Nuts & Bolts design is just nasty, I can't for the life of me understand how people defend it and even make the claim that it's better than the original N64 designs.

Smash Ultimate Banjo, on the other hand, is perfect
It suffers from what I call "Sega Syndrome" in which it's a title that few people play and hype up despite it being just an above average title, and there aren't many people to call it out since not too many people have played the game.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It suffers from what I call "Sega Syndrome" in which it's a title that few people play and hype up despite it being just an above average title, and there aren't many people to call it out since not too many people have played the game.

OR it's perfectly possible to enjoy Nuts and Bolts because it's an enjoyable game, neither worthy of stupid overexcitement or stupid condescension (much like most things, then). Shock horror, madness.

'Call it out', fucking hell.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No I just like the design. Nice texturing and the rounded squareness is a cool stylization

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

It was because anybody that was critical of it was assumed to be an anti-Xbox fan. The Xbox owners at the time were incredibly thirsty for everything, so they justified how the Conker remake was even MORE censored than Nintendo's as a good thing, or Grabbed by the Ghoulies being a masterpiece. They were just looking for any way to convince themselves that Rare was a wise purchase by Microsoft when looking back at their history, it's a far cry from what it used to be.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was because anybody that was critical of it was assumed to be an anti-Xbox fan. The Xbox owners at the time were incredibly thirsty for everything, so they justified how the Conker remake was even MORE censored than Nintendo's as a good thing, or Grabbed by the Ghoulies being a masterpiece. They were just looking for any way to convince themselves that Rare was a wise purchase by Microsoft when looking back at their history, it's a far cry from what it used to be.

I don't think anyone cares about grabbed by the ghoulies in 2019 but Conker Live and reloaded is legitimately the best version of the game

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Wish we had access to Steve Mayles's high poly Banjo promotional model. It's my favorite model with Ultimate right behind it. Wonder if he still has it?

1200px-Banjo.png

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It might very well be. I've been trying to find a cheap copy on eBay to play on my Xbox One. But in context at the time, every Rare release under Microsoft became the usual fight from both sides, trying to sour grapes it and defend them as perfect, so all perspective was lost.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Nuts & Bolts "hyped" by the few people who played it? If anything the title is bashed unfairly by the many who never did. Its an okay game. Not great, not terrible, not worth being the banjo threeie many expected but still an enjoyable game on its own.

Also who the hell ever called grabbed by the ghoulies a masterpiece lmao. If only you had said Kameo at least.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's a bummer that they didn't also dip into the DS version of Diddy Kong Racing. Feels like a pretty incomplete episode of Low Poly with that and the Nuts and Bolts models missing. But I do appreciate the work they do.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

Hmmm, I dunno. Something about Banjo's eyes in Ultimate bother me a bit. They just seem a bit too......cute and they pop out more than usual? I dunno.

On the other hand, we could argue that the "other side" tried their hardest to rip into every single Rare release and often times didn't even really give the games a fair chance. That's not to say that sometimes they weren't justified in doing so (PDZ being disappointing, the bait-and-switch with Nuts & Bolts, etc), but that was definitely the case. The hate crowd has definitely been much more overwhelming than the love crowd for sure.

Now that we're farther removed from all the buyout drama, things have calmed down a fair bit. But even now, you can surf around the internet and you'll still find that you'll be getting the vibe that many people out there will shit on whatever Rare releases as long as they're owned by Microsoft. In that regard, nothing much has really changed IMO.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017

That is an odd interpretation of events. N&B was bashed to an extraordinary degree by people who never played it. The chorus of fans were regularly drowned out by irrational hatred.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

I prefer it in almost every regard, but I think they could have handled the eyelids way better. Something about how those are animated kinda bother me. I also prefer every character's redesign in Nuts & Bolts across the board, I think it is a genuinely fantastic improvement across the board personally.

Historically Rareware designs are kinda... I dunno, trashy to me? Like I adore Killer Instinct, Battletoads and stuff but tons of their character designs are actively just unappealing and kinda disgusting to me.

dkrwizfly.jpg

Like what is the appeal here? I find every character here to be super unappealing and aesthetically gross. It is a decent game for sure, but I seriously have no idea how people like this visually.

And I tried to be as sensible as possible here, not picking low hanging fruit like Jet Force Gemini or Kiddy Kong.
This is such a weirdly aggressive theory you have here. I think Jet Set Radio is super overrated too but uhh, what?

If anything Nuts & Bolts is kinda the inverse of what you are saying. It is kind of impossible to go anywhere online and not see someone commenting about how offensive they find the game and also how much they think Microsoft ruined Rare and so on and so forth.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer it in almost every regard, but I think they could have handled the eyelids way better. Something about how those are animated kinda bother me. I also prefer every character's redesign in Nuts & Bolts across the board, I think it is a genuinely fantastic improvement across the board personally.

Historically Rareware designs are kinda... I dunno, trashy to me? Like I adore Killer Instinct, Battletoads and stuff but tons of their character designs are actively just unappealing and kinda disgusting to me.

dkrwizfly.jpg

Like what is the appeal here? I find every character here to be super unappealing and aesthetically gross. It is a decent game for sure, but I seriously have no idea how people like this visually.

And I tried to be as sensible as possible here, not picking low hanging fruit like Jet Force Gemini or Kiddy Kong.

This is such a weirdly aggressive theory you have here. I think Jet Set Radio is super overrated too but uhh, what?

If anything Nuts & Bolts is kinda the inverse of what you are saying. It is kind of impossible to go anywhere online and not see someone commenting about how offensive they find the game and also how much they think Microsoft ruined Rare and so on and so forth.
I like most of the animals in it not named Diddy Kong.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

lol "call it out" fuck outta here. it's a fun game.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Or it's a legitimately good game. Just maybe not a "traditional" Banjo game.

I personally wouldn't put it above the first 2 Banjo games, but in isolation, Nuts and Bolts is a genuinely good game and visually stunning.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I loved the Banjo model in Smash, the only bad thing is that it's kinda small. I don't think Banjo should be Mario sized

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cracked the code bro, it's all a conspiracy

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Buts & Bolts is legit fun. It still has that classic Rare-vibe long gone from the company. You can tell basically every person from the original games worked on it. The game's direction was obviously very flawed, but what we got was legit good.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Not true. It's the best design and the best game and people just don't know!

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

dkrwizfly.jpg

You have to remember that CG renders from that era made characters look generally weirder. So besides maybe that fact, I see nothing else that's wrong with that picture.

I really don't understand the hate Rare's character design constantly gets. From DKC to Banjo Kazooie to Diddy Kong Racing. It's never made any sense to me. I never noticed anything wrong as a kid and I don't really see anything wrong now. Those JFG protagonists do have weird eyeballs, but besides that, I dunno. Maybe some of the Killer Instinct cast hasn't aged well? Besides those, I've got nothing. Sometimes people get hung up over the weirdest shit lol.

EDIT: I will say that their human character design since Perfect Dark Zero has been kind of ugly though. The humans looked terrible in PDZ, they looked terrible in Kinect Sports Rivals, and they look kind of bad in Sea of Thieves.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Put me in the camp of people that actually likes the Nuts and Bolts redesign. To me, the Smash Bros version seems really dull.

Edit: Also, I kind of like the super low poly versions in this video (besides the Diddy Kong Racing texture pyramid).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It controls better and fixes a lot of the worst segments of the original

The only reasons to prefer the original in my mind is if you dislike the new art style or you value funny bad word that much
I kind of like the 64 controls better, although I haven't played either for awhile now. I definitely prefer the 64 artstyle, especially conker himself. I never liled the way he looked in reloaded. The censoring is honestly pretty lame and the crudeness was part of the humor. Agreed about thr fixes to some parts though like rock club.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i found all the nuts and bolts shit talk, especially in light of the author having no info or visuals for the model (despite showing the model from a different game labeled as nuts and bolts!), really odd. certainly didnt seem impartial at the least. cool video otherwise though

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
You have to remember that CG renders from that era made characters look generally weirder. So besides maybe that fact, I see nothing else that's wrong with that picture.

I really don't understand the hate Rare's character design constantly gets. From DKC to Banjo Kazooie to Diddy Kong Racing. It's never made any sense to me. I never noticed anything wrong as a kid and I don't really see anything wrong now. Those JFG protagonists do have weird eyeballs, but besides that, I dunno. Maybe some of the Killer Instinct cast hasn't aged well? Besides those, I've got nothing. Sometimes people get hung up over the weirdest shit lol.

EDIT: I will say that their human character design since Perfect Dark Zero has been kind of ugly though. The humans looked terrible in PDZ, they looked terrible in Kinect Sports Rivals, and they look kind of bad in Sea of Thieves.
It is not exclusively an age thing. Tons of CG game characters from that time period hold up just fine. Like even when discussing really trashy characters like Gex, Blasto or even Bug I think Rare stands out as worse in tons of ways. If we were to bring in actual classics from like Panzer Dragoon, Mario 64, Final Fantasy, etc it just makes it a slaughter IMO.

I mean, have you seen the back of Mumbo's head in the old CG? Shit is frightening.

Do you want people to renounce their nostalgia to form the Correct Objective Opinion?
Apologies if I offended you, but this was not what I meant by it. My post was mostly in reaction to the other person that had no idea how someone could not hate Nuts & Bolts design.

THE RARE LOGO IS HIDDEN ON THE BACKPACK!?

SAKURAI, YOU ARE ACTUALLY INSANE!!
Nuts & Bolts did it first. Killer Instinct 2013 was loaded with nods like that too.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Conker Live and reloaded is legitimately the best version of the game
lmfao

Terrible redesign of the main character
Uses a baseball bat instead of a frying pan, stupid needless change that even Conker doesn't like
Worse animations, specifically facial animations
Inexplicably more censored than the original, both in profanity and in actual game content
Speaking of cut content, they removed all the amazing multiplayer modes from the original
They made the game easier

yeah ok

More proof: They put the N64 version into Rare Replay instead of the garbage remake

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Weirdly I think this game looks freaking awesome and I love the designs... except for Banjo lol. I don't hate it but some how they got the design for banjo the worst of anything

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
The first banjo game I played was nuts and bolts (it was fucking brilliant and is the reason games like bastion exist) and I had an n64. Played them as the 360 remasters but they were very much of their time. I get why people were pissed nuts and bolts wasn't a platformer, but it was a groundbreaking kind of game when it was released. There had never been anything with a decent budget like it.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Not many people calling out Nuts & Bolts? Well who were all those people that were breaking their necks to tell me how it was shit and my opinion was wrong? Seems like a small part of the community played it and a way bigger part of the community didn't but proceeded to consistently shit on it. To this very day lol

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell? I mean, you're right about Nuts & Bolts, but "Sega Syndrome"? Nah dude.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Not many people calling out Nuts & Bolts? Well who were all those people that were breaking their necks to tell me how it was shit and my opinion was wrong? Seems like a small part of the community played it and a way bigger part of the community didn't but proceeded to consistently shit on it. To this very day lol

I also think that infamous JonTron video about the game really helped color peoples' negative perceptions about it on the internet. It used to always be "But did you see JonTron's video??? He said it sucked!!!" Now that his reputation has gone down the shitter, I imagine that's probably not always the case anymore lol.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone cares about grabbed by the ghoulies in 2019 but Conker Live and reloaded is legitimately the best version of the game

I care. It was a very charming little game, but you are right about Live & Reloaded. It's clearly the best version of Conker, with a framerate that's way above the original, and also slightly less frustrating as a result (even if still too frustrating). The censoring did little to change the quality of the game, which was never that high to begin with.

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmfao

Terrible redesign of the main character
Uses a baseball bat instead of a frying pan, stupid needless change that even Conker doesn't like
Worse animations, specifically facial animations
Inexplicably more censored than the original, both in profanity and in actual game content
Speaking of cut content, they removed all the amazing multiplayer modes from the original
They made the game easier

yeah ok

More proof: They put the N64 version into Rare Replay instead of the garbage remake

And they say nuanced bideo game convo is dead

They put the N64 version in because of fan outcry which mainly came from complaints of censorship. But it has better frame rate, controls, and design changes.

Your post reads like something off of gamefaqs with "Lmfao" and "Proof", like it's just a game pal