• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Just making my way through Alan Wake after finding
the tie in with Control and peaking my interest, especially the a rumored DLC tie in as well
. Wasn't sure what to expect going into this game, but I'm realizing it's closer to a horror survival game than an action adventure? I'm only at the end of episode 3, but one of my key frustrations are the terrible infinite spawn wave areas where everything is hazy with the darkness, especially when the game limits you with ammo. I like to explore the map and check out every nook and cranny, but it gives me anxiety to do that with the limited ammo and the large amounts of enemy spawns. It is also really frustrating that some of the manuscript pages are scattered about and missable when I'm a lore-focused player (and that the manuscript is a core aspect of the game!).

What are your thoughts on the game? Any tips?

PS: Fuck the possessed objects
which I guess since this game is tied to control, are Altered items??

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, those misty areas of the game with infinite enemy respawns, don't worry about those. As far as I know there's no secrets hidden there.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Alan Wake I got it the day it came out on console played it through a couple times on hard. There's an interesting thing when it came out on PC they renamed the hard mode to normal and normal to easy.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I love Alan Wake. I personally don't think it strays too much into survival horror but I do back the recommendation above to push it to easy if ammo and stuff is bothering you.

My big issue with it is that its gameplay & combat stays too similar throughout and the atmosphere loses its bite after doing the same encounter again and again. I adore the story, setting, characters music & environments though & can't wait for the AWE DLC.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That thermos achievement haunted my dreams. Really annoyed me that they didn't put a collectible tracker for each chapter of the game.

I'd really love to play a remaster in 4K next gen.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
I've got a quick question about Alan Wake that hopefully somebody here can answer. I've never played it and I want to remedy that (pun intended). I did some research and apparently you can't download the game on steam or Xbox anymore because they took it down for a musical licensing issue. It seems like the only way to play it now would be to order a used copy, but there's also an Alan Wake download code that comes with new copies of Quantum Break. My question is do you think those download codes would still work? I've never played Quantum Break either so I'd prefer to buy it like that if I could.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I've got a quick question about Alan Wake that hopefully somebody here can answer. I've never played it and I want to remedy that (pun intended). I did some research and apparently you can't download the game on steam or Xbox anymore because they took it down for a musical licensing issue. It seems like the only way to play it now would be to order a used copy, but there's also an Alan Wake download code that comes with new copies of Quantum Break. My question is do you think those download codes would still work? I've never played Quantum Break either so I'd prefer to buy it like that if I could.
store.steampowered.com

Alan Wake on Steam

A Dark Presence stalks the small town of Bright Falls, pushing Alan Wake to the brink of sanity in his fight to unravel the mystery and save his love.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
American Nightmare does a lot to flesh out the action gameplay, but the original game is definitely not an action title, no. Hell of a good ride while it lasts, though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
diablogg linked the Steam version.

It was also relisted on Xbox marketplace and it's BC on Xbox One and can be bought at this link.

Alan Wake

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Play on Easy, makes the game stand out more becuase the gameplay is kind of repetitive and the story and set pieces are what make it shine.

One of my all time favorites even though I can't bring myself to replay it again.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Well I'm dumb. I guess they added it back to steam a year and half ago. I just assumed it was still removed. Thanks for the heads up.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Play on Easy, makes the game stand out more becuase the gameplay is kind of repetitive and the story and set pieces are what make it shine.

One of my all time favorites even though I can't bring myself to replay it again.
I replayed it and the DLC and expansion last year on Xbox One after first playing it when it first came out on X360. I would replay it again if it was X enhanced or Remedy releases a 4k/60fps remaster or remake.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
FEAR and Alan Wake have the same awful problem: they offered great graphics and game mechanics. But they throw you in those samey places over and over again.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
FEAR and Alan Wake have the same awful problem: they offered great graphics and game mechanics. But they throw you in those samey places over and over again.

I agree with FEAR, but not with Alan Wake.. couldn't finish FEAR because of that, but didn't had the problem with AW.. I just really like the Twin Peaks environments - dark woods, small towns with dark secrets, etc.. played the DLC missions last month and I must say that for a 10 year old game (9 in the case of the PC version), its still lookes really great.. character models not as much but everything else looks still great

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I loved Alan wake the first time I played through it, even played through it a couple of times now, definitely play the DLC too.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember hearing about this a ton back in 2010-ish. It was mentioned frequently on X-Play, many YouTube channels, and the like. At the time I didn't have a Xbox and never got a chance to play it.

I was surprised to see it in my library. I suppose I added one night in a Humble Bundle or something and forgot. I loaded it up, and well, it's decent but it's clearly a product of yesteryear. The story is interesting though. It does kind of feel like a guy living through a fevered Stephen King inspired dream.

I'll probably finish it unless every action sequence is basically dodging dudes in shadow. That seems like it might get old fast.