• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Wow!", as in wow, this is the most scientifically inaccurate and unrealistic "science fiction" movie I've ever seen. Science fiction typically entails imagining some more or less plausible future science, with a basis in actual believable science, but holy shit, the people who made this movie know NOTHING about anything. Sending a man alone on a trip to Mars? Water from dirt? Nebulae between Earth and Mars? A space station three weeks from Earth? What is this station orbiting, the sun? Slowing the ship down to restock supplies on said space station, wasting colossal amounts of fuel? Being able to just "turn around" and go back home when you're already halfway there? Surviving on a few drops of water per day for months?

There's probably more, but I mean, shit. I only watched this because the premise seemed kinda cool when I found it on Netflix, I didn't know anything about it. As someone very into science (space/astro stuff in particular), I almost feel offended. Then there's the fact that the story is a real downer in which basically nothing actually happens, but that feels secondary to the mess it is plausibility-wise. It's also obviously a low-budget movie, but that I can deal with, and that doesn't have to mean you make ridiculous shit up instead of at least googling some stuff for five minutes.

Even the main character's last name is unrealistic. "Stanaforth", what the hell is that?

Be warned, sci-fi fans. Stay the hell away from this if you value believable science in your science fiction even slightly.

Last edited: