• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So with the recent trial and announcement that we'd be getting an ARMS character in Smash, figured I had no excuse not to check the game out. I fired it up, went straight for single player Grand Prix mode, chose MinMin and did difficulty level 3 or somewhere around there. First couple matches were all good and fun but then I had coy opponents who seemed to read my movements and counter them. I mean yeah, Git Gud and all that but even after changing my arms setup, it feels like there's nothing more to the game than bob and weave and hope you can get the punch in before your opponent.

Yes, I'm sure I'm wrong about that and there's way more strategy and depth I'm missing. It was really reminiscent of playing SFII for the first time. You're just sort of dropped in and expect to figure out the mechanics as you go while the cpu opponents seem to rely on input reading. Another frustration is how GP mode adds the mini games as a bonus round and they don't bother explaining how the game works. Even after I got the hang of it, it wasn't a fun diversion at all. I DID have fun with the mini game that lets you unlock stuff though. If they had THAT as the GP bonus game, that'd be a much more fun experience for a single player arcade like mode.

Add on to the fact that there's no story mode of any sort there's no drive to really learn who these characters are by playing them in game which is a shame. I LOVE the character designs, the music, the overall aesthetic they got going on, but the game is just such an "not fun" experience for me. Granted, I was pretty frustrated by the time I finished playing with MinMin, I"m curious if maybe this is the norm and that trying different characters it might finally "click" with me.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's a fighting game...

An arena fighter but still, that's usually the loop. Have you gone online yet?

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
I had a very strange experience with this title...started playing and nothing clicked...then it clicked but I took a pause from playing...came back and nothing clicked again and its like a permanently lost the mojo for the game...I bought it too after an earlier online demo when it clicked but the feeling is long gone...

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
the only terrible thing about arms is that crappy mid bout punch the targets game that they force into every tournament... It's the reason I stopped playing the game

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Use dragon arm and your ground kick for Min Min, otherwise you're missing out on the entire reason for picking her. It might not be a bad idea to start off with a more straightforward character like Spring Man to get a feel for the game.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I'm gonna be keeping tabs on this thread for sure. I feel like I've always wanted to love Arms as well, but just never got there.

Now I'm on a Lite. Are the button-based controls OK?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be keeping tabs on this thread for sure. I feel like I've always wanted to love Arms as well, but just never got there.

Yeah they're probably better if not just as good as motion controls.

Play this game with other people. The single player is alright but it's more fun than usual fighters in multiplayer.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
It's a hard game. You should start on difficulty 2 instead of 3. 3 assumes you have the basics. You should also start with Spring Man to get the basics down.

It's a boxing game so yes it is about bobbing and weaving. but there's more to it. Because of the distance between fighters it isnt about quick twitch reflexes, it instead relies greatly on reading the other player's moves and countering, blocking and dodging appropriately. The way you describe the computer reading your moves is the same thing you should be doing.

is also a shooter, its best to keep distance and aim your punches. Hoping to get a punch in first before the opponent is the wrong strategy. You should be trying to aim your punches from a distance, if they get too close grab them and throw them.

Once it clicks it is really satisfying.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017

The motion controls are fun but I prefer the button controls as your mobility improves

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
It's a hard game. You should start on difficulty 2 instead of 3. 3 assumes you have the basics. You should also start with Spring Man to get the basics down.

It's a boxing game so yes it is about bobbing and weaving. but there's more to it. Because of the distance between fighters it isnt about quick twitch reflexes, it instead relies greatly on reading the other player's moves and countering, blocking and dodging appropriately. The way you describe the computer reading your moves is the same thing you should be doing.

is also a shooter, its best to keep distance and aim your punches. Hoping to get a punch in first before the opponent is the wrong strategy. You should be trying to aim your punches from a distance, if they get too close grab them and throw them.

Once it clicks it is really satisfying.
I agree. I really really love the mechanics.

I feels like an evolved Mike Tyson's Punch out without all the memorization and all just about reaction and footsies.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the mini games are always explained by Biff when they show up in Grand Prix, not that they need much explaining in the first place given how simple they all are.

Anyway, Grand Prix is definitely full of awful cheating input-reading AI who can largely be cheesed by guarding and then punching when they go for the obvious grab. That said, it's a multiplayer focused game, so I recommend trying out a couple of the tutorials to get a feel for the mechanics and then hopping into Party Match.

The button controls are great and IMO much better than the motion controls, however you should definitely remap guard to the L button to save your thumb some pain.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I just play online with a friend. She uses Mechanica with a hammer and i cant get a fucking hit in, I seem to whiff every punch.

I do like Min Min, i win the most with her.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I love ARMS but I'm completely braindead and terrible at it, it pisses me off

okay, maybe I only like it

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Played the demo and didn't like it. Felt like one of the most boring Nintendo games ever. Didn't like the mechanics. Something about them felt really shallow and unsatisfying. Cool concept but pretty lackluster execution.

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
Game didn't click with me as well, but I did enjoy my experience with it. However, if they add a good story mode next game, I'll def give it another shot.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's all about mind games. More than in any other fighting game, with the obvious exception of Divekick, it's not about what you're doing, but how you're manipulating your opponent and taking advantage of their mistakes. That's always a factor in fighting games but in Arms that's pretty much the entire game, and once you get a feel for how to do that and how to counter your opponent doing that to you, it becomes pretty satisfying

Apr 21, 2018
I liked ARMS just ok. It never clicked with me either. I played it quite a bit and felt like I never got good.

It's weird because during the trial demo I was destroying and having a great time.

I guess I found the frustration of losing to be greater than the feeling of satisfaction when winning.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well arms is the kind of game I would have enjoyed as a teenager on my Dreamcast.

Nowadays I have zero interest in this game. Downloaded the trial. Nope, I don't want it even for free.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find it's best in a party setting. Hadn't popped it in, in a year or two, until I was at my friend's house last month. None of them had really tried it before and it was a breath of fresh air in terms of fighting games. We had a blast with it!

Dec 23, 2017
I feel the same way about both Nintendo new ips (this and splatoon). I wanted to like both but just wasn't for me. We will see what else they let the young devs try.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I really enjoy just about everything with the game except actually playing it. Like, there's something unsatisfying about playing, even when you win. Didn't feel this way about Splatoon, which I can jump into anytime and really enjoy even when I lose.
But I also haven't played online yet. Gonna do that before the demo runs out.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
most inventive fighting game
took a while to click though
I only wish it had more singleplayer content

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love ARMS but I'm completely braindead and terrible at it, it pisses me off

okay, maybe I only like it
I hate it for these reasons. It feels like the same shit every time, and watching it is even worse, probably the worst spectator game of all time.

The characters and music are freaking fantastic, though.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Same feelings or me

It's definitely a charming game but it didn't click for me. Playing the game felt more like a chore than anything else. I was playing with motion controls though, maybe I would have a different experience with the pro controller.