• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
UfGlUtH.gif

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is quite an interesting title to me. I've been an Assassin's Creed fan pretty much since the beginning of the series, and I've always loved it. Odyssey was interesting to me, since it was pretty much the very first AC game I didn't buy at launch. It's not because I wasn't interested; I was most certainly interested, especially considering the glowing praise the game had received, both here and at large. Unfortunately, I could not purchase it at launch just due to how crowded that time of year was in games, and having to split my time both between RDR2 and Odyssey would have just been unfeasible. However, come the start of February where I have finished both KH3 and RE2, I decided it was finally time to give this game a go, and I was expecting greatness. I'm still in the middle of playing, about 10 hours in and on Phokis, but I'd thought it'd be nice to add my thoughts to the thread as I go along.

STORY

Odyssey, unlike any other AC game, is one which focuses on the player and allows them to forge their own 'Odyssey', if you will. The player has the choice between two characters: Alexios and Kassandra. I chose Kassandra. I'm not that far in just yet, but the story is already pretty compelling, and it's aided quite drastically by a fantastic performance and motion capture from Kassandra. As a mercenary, it's quite fitting to have such a charismatic personality, and this is where her performance really really helps keep me invested. It helps to sell relationships with the characters throughout her journey so far, and it makes it more believable than some of the previous games have been.

I will continually update this segment of the thread as I progress, but thus far, I have only began to discover the Cult of Cosmos and their intentions and how they are grasping on to power over Greece. If you know what mission I mean, it is a high tension mission which really rivalled The Witcher 3 is cutscene quality and mission design. It was really impressive.

zf1z9tB.gif

Vg2CTVu.gif

SOUNDTRACK

Now, this is where one of my favourite aspects of the game comes in. Some of the previous entries into the Assassin's Creed series have been rather absent in their delivery of music, namely in ambient music. I think one of the most critical elements to delivering an amazing open-world game with incredible and believable atmospheres is having a great soundtrack accompanying it. It's surprising that Ubisoft managed to pull one of my favourite artists for ambient music this generation: The Flight. Obviously given my avatar, you can guess where I'm going with this, but the guys did the soundtrack for Horizon and it's exploration music, and it's simply incredible here too. Personally, I think for every year that an Assassin's Creed game releases, it's soundtracks are largely snubbed or rather underrated. It is something that has been consistently phenomenal across the series and Odyssey continues that same consistency.

While the ambient music isn't playing 100% of the time, the game does offer the option to toggle it so that it is playing most of the time. I would like future AC games to replicate the same as the likes of AC1, AC2, ACB and ACR in having a continuous background loop for ambient tracks. As I mentioned, I think this is what really helps to sell an open-world's atmosphere and keep me interested in playing and searching new areas.

COMBAT

Assassin's Creed Odyssey's combat makes a marked improvement on the newly introduced system from Odyssey. It plays more smoothly and allows for a lot more player freedom in movement between enemies. It is very engaging and encourages exploration from the player in the massive open-world to find better equipment to take on stronger enemies. The combat in Odyssey allows for a number of ways to take down enemies, whether that be a standard hack and slash approach, using newly added abilities to disable opponents. I think this new system is a step in the right direction and it's nice to see Ubisoft taking an approach to making combat more difficult. However, I would like to address some of my concerns with the combat. As I mentioned, the game offers more player freedom in movement during combat. However, this comes at the sacrifice of some smoothness in animation and can often ruin the believability of a combat engagement. I guess this ultimately comes down to player preferences, but seeing the older AC games having smoother combat animations made it more believable, even if it was much much easier. I have good faith that Ubisoft can make improvements to the combat system in future titles, while also accounting more for player levels and making some enemies not absolute meat shields that tank 40+ hits. :P

Also, add more finishers to the middle of combat! Origins did this! Don't remove combat finishers and leave them only open to the last enemy killed!

crkMssQ.gif

Tr36i0b.gif

WORLD BUILDING

I think it goes without saying that Ubisoft are really really good at this. Their worlds are some of the most believable worlds in video games and you can tell how much effort and care has been put into them, and to just appreciate how much effort they put in, consider the scale of these worlds as well. Odyssey is the series' largest map and yet there is still so much detail and different architectures spread across the map. I think this is one of the franchises undersold aspects, and it's a true shame given how well crafted they are. It is quite simply beautiful .

7SPg8UA.gif

Note: I'll be continually updating this thread as I continue my playthrough, but this is a very good game so far and I can see why so many on ERA have praised it. It's a great game!
I'll also be adding more gifs as I playthrough, both here and here: https://twitter.com/Much118x

Last edited:

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I started playing last week or so, I can't put the game down. I love it. Kassandra is perfect. So much fun.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I need to jump in at some point. Loved Origins and thought it was a return to form but it burned me out hard on Ubisoft open worlds for a bit. Same with Far Cry 5.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Stands alongside Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild as the 3 best open world games of all time.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
One of my favourite games of 2018. I love visiting and playing in its beautiful world.

The formula isn't quite perfected yet (the dialogue system is really underutilized and they need to design more variation in the outpost missions) but it's on the right track.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Started it last week and have been loving it, even more than Origins. Kassandra is a top tier protagonist.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Odyssey went from being just another annual black Friday pick up to my second favorite game of last year. My previous favorite creed game was black flag and this is basically black flag expanded upon with a much bigger, better realized world and you get to play as now one of my favorite gaming characters, Kassandra.

Put 95 hours into the game (still loads to do), but went ahead and bought the season pass last night cause I absolutely love this game and want every excuse to return to it.

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018
I need to jump in at some point. Loved Origins and thought it was a return to form but it burned me out hard on Ubisoft open worlds for a bit. Same with Far Cry 5.

Do it!!! It's very good. :P

Loved this game. I'm probably going to start a new playthrough soon.

I think they've got a NG+ coming soon this month? I think.

Started it last week and have been loving it, even more than Origins. Kassandra is a top tier protagonist.

Kassandra is better than I was expecting. Her character design is awesome and her performance is great too. :)

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
One of my favorite games of the year and easily my favorite Assassin's Creed game. Though I played as Alexios. I'm waiting for all the DLC to drop so I can play through it, not a fan of the episodic format.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Best WRPG not called The Witcher this gen, which is a weird thing coming from a mega corporation like Ubisoft.

Bioware wishes they had made this game.

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the first 10 hours or so then grew to quickly hate it. Fuck the bounty hunter system so hard. Ruined so much of the game for me.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Kassandra is a queen. Game is too long for its own good though. Burnt out like 30 hours in.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Best WRPG not called The Witcher this gen, which is a weird thing coming from a mega corporation like Ubisoft.

Bioware wishes they had made this game.

I don't know about the second statement, but I'd agree with the first.

...Well. I prefer Xenoblade Chronicles X to The Witcher 3, but that's a different argument.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the story and played for 40+ hours. 2 things I cant say about many games. needless to say I really enjoyed it.

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
I need to get around to playing this. I thoroughly enjoyed Origins but felt burnt out by the time I finished it though.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
As an AC fan that dipped out after Black Flag (the ties between the modern day stuff becoming less important to non-existent turned me off), would you guys recommend Odyssey? I heard a lot of praise for Origins too, but it sounded a little too sprawling as far as all of the RPG elements. Again, I need some kind of story hook to latch on to...

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
As an AC fan that dipped out after Black Flag (the ties between the modern day stuff becoming less important to non-existent turned me off), would you guys recommend Odyssey? I heard a lot of praise for Origins too, but it sounded a little too sprawling as far as all of the RPG elements. Again, I need some kind of story hook to latch on to...

The games has a ton of story. That's the thing- its basically an endless rabbit hole of content- all good quality, with fully voiced NPCs and near endless missions. You will literally play for 60 hours+ and still have a shit-ton to do (missions to undertake, people to kill, places to explore) , which will either be a positive or negative depending on personal taste (some people just don't do well with long games, and lose interest after 20-30 hours), but if you are looking for a single game that will keep you occupied for a LONG time, this game should be your poison.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I have good faith that Ubisoft can make improvements to the combat system in future titles, while also accounting more for player levels and making some enemies not absolute meat shields that tank 40+ hits. :P
Once you start building up a stock of ability points and gear sets that you like, you should be able to beat most enemies pretty quickly. It depends a lot on how you're building your character but with a configuration that suits you it shouldn't take 40+ hits to kill anyone.

I'd like to be wrong but it sounds like Odyssey isn't really for you. There's some consequential movement in the modern-day storyline (perhaps more so than there has been in any AC game since III) but most of that happens in a short space of time. The total amount of time you spend out of the Animus is less than in Black Flag and most of that time does nothing to advance the storyline or even explore what's happening in the modern day.

As for the RPG elements, well, Odyssey ramps them up quite a bit from Origins. There's more combat abilities, more armour pieces and weapons, more dialogue (along with conversational choices), a bigger world with more quests and side quests and side activities and locations.

Odyssey is my favourite game of 2018 but it's also not something I can recommend to anyone without any hesitation to anyone who was put off by the thought that Origins was too big. Maybe the easy way out is to wait for the next time Origins is on sale and grab that - if you enjoy it you'll probably enjoy Odyssey as well, and for most AC fans there's lots to like in Origins.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to be wrong but it sounds like Odyssey isn't really for you. There's some consequential movement in the modern-day storyline (perhaps more so than there has been in any AC game since III) but most of that happens in a short space of time. The total amount of time you spend out of the Animus is less than in Black Flag and most of that time does nothing to advance the storyline or even explore what's happening in the modern day.

As for the RPG elements, well, Odyssey ramps them up quite a bit from Origins. There's more combat abilities, more armour pieces and weapons, more dialogue (along with conversational choices), a bigger world with more quests and side quests and side activities and locations.

Odyssey is my favourite game of 2018 but it's also not something I can recommend to anyone without any hesitation to anyone who was put off by the thought that Origins was too big. Maybe the easy way out is to wait for the next time Origins is on sale and grab that - if you enjoy it you'll probably enjoy Odyssey as well, and for most AC fans there's lots to like in Origins.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm definitely intrigued, given all the praise, but I'm so leary about the series now. I'm not even sure if there are any actual assassinations anymore! Hehe! Will check out a deal perhaps at the end of the year.
The games has a ton of story. That's the thing- its basically an endless rabbit hole of content- all good quality, with fully voiced NPCs and near endless missions. You will literally play for 60 hours+ and still have a shit-ton to do (missions to undertake, people to kill, places to explore) , which will either be a positive or negative depending on personal taste (some people just don't do well with long games, and lose interest after 20-30 hours), but if you are looking for a single game that will keep you occupied for a LONG time, this game should be your poison.
Thanks as well. I'm ok with having a lot to do, but I need for there to be a larger overarching reason for all of the busy work, even if most of the content is well-produced. That's been my biggest complaint after what happened with AC3. It almost feels like an entirely different series. Not that it's a bad thing, I just don't know if it's AC.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i'm playing through it right now... really enjoying it and OP more or less enumerates my experience

but man, and i'm guessing it's an unpopular opinion because i haven't heard it anywhere else, but i really do not like this naval combat. like, at all. i never played Blag Flag so maybe i'm coming off a bad starting point here (i did play Origins, where naval combat was in passing - and i didn't enjoy it there either, but it was minimal enough to endure). and i've been upgrading the ship, recruiting the high level lieutenants and everything but once i get to the seas it's just a giant clusterfuck.

perhaps it's by design, as i was about to travel to an island to advance the main quest and got slaughtered and decided to do more stuff on mainland, and it turns out i still had shitloads more stuff i can do, and by the time i'm done with all that my ship should be a tank. but yeah i'm really not digging it as a requisite gameplay element

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Once you start building up a stock of ability points and gear sets that you like, you should be able to beat most enemies pretty quickly. It depends a lot on how you're building your character but with a configuration that suits you it shouldn't take 40+ hits to kill anyone.

That's good to hear then. Can't wait to kill some guards easily. :P

XoiXC50.gif

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I promised myself to play Origins first, but I do have Oddysee waiting (I own both). I'm doubting a bit if I should skip Origins.. Time is limited, I'm not the biggest AC fan, rarely finish open world games (altough TW3 is my game of the Generation).

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I played all the AC games up to Syndicate...at that point AC burnout hit and I skipped Origins...didn't buy Odyssey at launch but will be getting a free PC copy for participating in that Google Stream test...hopefully Odyssey pulls me back into the AC universe...any rumors as to the next AC game setting/location?

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm not even sure if there are any actual assassinations anymore
If you really care about assasinations and the brotherhood drama and all that stuff better play Origins. Odyssey is more liberal and might run you the wrong way. It's great too.
I promised myself to play Origins first, but I do have Oddysee waiting (I own both). I'm doubting a bit if I should skip Origins.. Time is limited, I'm not the biggest AC fan, rarely finish open world games (altough TW3 is my game of the Generation).
If you don't care for old AC Odyssey is perfect for you and you'll probably be impressed.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I just 100%'ed pretty much everything in Origins and its DLC this morning (~95 hours total), and immediately hopped into Odyssey, perhaps against my better judgment. This is feeling a lot more Witcher 3 for some reason, but I'm liking it so far.

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Yup. Game is great. Cool thread Much
Thank you. The game is pretty darn fun! :P

I played all the AC games up to Syndicate...at that point AC burnout hit and I skipped Origins...didn't buy Odyssey at launch but will be getting a free PC copy for participating in that Google Stream test...hopefully Odyssey pulls me back into the AC universe...any rumors as to the next AC game setting/location?

Rumours currently point to Rome to end the Ancient trilogy, but it's really up in the air. You can be certain we will here about some leak later on, as usual. :P

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Played it twenty-something hours straight but I couldn't get past the quest-design loop and I had to put it down. After meeting Xenia and do stuff for her to get that little piece of information about Kassandra's mother, then go to the other island and do stuff for the people for them to 'trust me' to get another piece, and then go to Hippocrates who of course won't do shit for me unless I do stuff for him, it was too much; the GTA trope all over again, "do me a favor, three times or more, and I call a guy who MIGHT know a little bit".

Also, I'm a bit tired of all this theme park world-design. As detailed as the world often is with people working, chatting, etc. it still feels often lifeless.

There are very good and many improvements over Origins but in the end it wasn't enough for me to finish it promptly. I think I pick it up again at some time, though.

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Rome and Greece seem too similar...hopefully they move to a completely new setting/environment

Maybe that's true, but I recall people saying the same about Odyssey and Origins and yet they are quite different for sure.

Either way, here's another gif. :)

Za4e0v5.gif

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I have good faith that Ubisoft can make improvements to the combat system in future titles, while also accounting more for player levels and making some enemies not absolute meat shields that tank 40+ hits. :P

Don't worry, you might have tons of complaints about AC odyssey combat but "everything is a damage sponge in later levels" thankfully isnt one of them

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
good gifs

how do you feel about the levelgating in the game? that ruined Origins for me, and is the reason i havent bothered with Odyssey yet

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
After 100+ hours it's my GOTY 2018. Fighting feels great and the skill tree allows really different builds. Time savers are useless (and therefore no problem), but I hate (and ignore) the daily quests. Games shouldn't tell me when and how often I have to play them.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I spent 80 hours to finish everything up in the core game, it quickly became my game of the year.

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018
good gifs

how do you feel about the levelgating in the game? that ruined Origins for me, and is the reason i havent bothered with Odyssey yet

It's handled fairly decently, as you have options to reduce the levelgating; however, I'd say early on is when you'd be affected most by levelgating.

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Don't worry, you might have tons of complaints about AC odyssey combat but "everything is a damage sponge in later levels" thankfully isnt one of them

These gifs loaded for me just now, and damn, that's pleasing to hear! :P

I'm just about to move out of Phokis and make way to Athens! :)

7XxEaAm.gif

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I finished it yesterday, including all side-quests, achievements and story up to Legacy Episode 2 DLC. Took me about 122h, and it was worth every minute of my time. Cant wait for the rest of the DLC!

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018
5YLAQay.gif

SJJrd7X.gif

Loving this right now... it's so good! Athens is beautiful, and the scenery looks amazing. I just wish the levels weren't so strict, but it's nothing major. :3

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain to me how Ezio's Family theme is now the defacto Assassin's Creed theme? What happened to the themes used by Jasper Kid?
Or does the whole theme usage tie into Alexios/Kassandra being predecessors of the Auditore family?

Also to people playing on PC: What are your settings? Do you prefer 60(ish) fps or do you just go for 30? A lot of the animation seems to be designed around a 30fps cap, as there's a little bit of animation tweening/interpolating jank that can be seen sometimes.

Flagada_Jones

Alt account
Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Can somebody explain to me how Ezio's Family theme is now the defacto Assassin's Creed theme? What happened to the themes used by Jasper Kid?
Or does the whole theme usage tie into Alexios/Kassandra being predecessors of the Auditore family?

Also to people playing on PC: What are your settings? Do you prefer 60(ish) fps or do you just go for 30? A lot of the animation seems to be designed around a 30fps cap, as there's a little bit of animation tweening/interpolating jank that can be seen sometimes.

Ezio family is main theme now because fans asked for it. It's not even called Ezio family anymore
It's the main theme since AC IV-2 (Rogue)

No about Odyssey, let's just face it:
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is the best AC game ever made and it's a shame that, just because an AC game was also launch on 2017, many skipped this one because "annually licence".
Seriously
-Stop the worshiping AC2 and "Ezio is the best"
-Go for Assassin's Creed 8: Odyssey

I can't believe how this game is good

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Ezio family is main theme now because fans asked for it. It's not even called Ezio family anymore
It's the main theme since AC IV-2 (Rogue)

No about Odyssey, let's just face it:
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is the best AC game ever made and it's a shame that, just because an AC game was also launch on 2017, many skipped this one because "annually licence".
Seriously
-Stop the worshiping AC2 and "Ezio is the best"
-Go for Assassin's Creed 8: Odyssey

I can't believe how this game is good
There are some elements I dislike about this format of AC, mainly the way it is dependent on experience and leveling up, so enemies can be a literal damage sponge even if you do stealth assassinations, and the fact that the gear system feels like something they threw in after noticing how BotW also had one, but this time used attributes like "hunter", "warrior", and "assassin" instead of elemental buffs to give you damage bonuses and such. Talk about missing the point...

It doesn't help that the game often leans on the combat heavily despite previously being used as a sort of clutch to the assassination mechanics. It's like they needed to appease the players who wanted "better combat" while forgetting the entire "hidden from plain sight" dynamic the series was built on.

Ironic you say stop worshiping AC2 since the AC theme got hijacked by Ezio's family theme. They should seriously return to the Jasper Kid soundtrack of AC1.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
It's pretty good, still doesn't compare to Witcher 3 in my opinion.. the writing is just above average videogame writing, I don't care for any character in the game, Kassandra is ok I guess, but isn't really interesting or charming as I would hoped for.. world design is pretty great, that is the best aspect of the game - a massive step in quality compared to previous AC games and I really love how they took many influences and cues from Witcher 3.. combat system is functional, so that's good.. graphics are great, even though I still miss something in the facial animations and overall the camera work in dialog scenes isn't that interesting.. and I personally hate that I need to do sidequests in this game - in Witcher 3 you can play only the main quests and you don't have a problem with leveling .. that isn't true in this game though - and I must say, the sidequests in Odyssey aren't that special for the most part.. in Witcher 3 I wanted to do every sidequests just because the writing was so good and there were many surprises and many hard choices.. in here most choices are very videogame-y and on the nose... and the romances are downright terrible in my opinion.. compared to interactions between Geralt and Yennefer/Triss/Shani, ACO just fails miserably.. still a very good game, just not a masterpiece in any way or form

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I personally preferred Origins, I think the game had better graphics, a more interesting location and a better story.

AC:O just didn't.capture my attention in the same way and felt more like a grind.