• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
When Assassin's Creed Odyssey was initially revealed at E3 last year, I couldn't have been more turned off it. The setting didn't grasp me, any of the trailers I saw didn't interest me and all the RPG mechanics made me wince. I wasn't ever planning on getting it, as I didn't even give Origins a shot and the last AC entry I played was Syndicate (which I wasn't a fan of). So, what made me give this a shot if my original impressions were so negative? Well, I spotted the game for 25 quid in town and thought it was worth a shot in the dark.

assassins-creed-odyssey-art-900x506.jpg

Let me get to the point then! I am legit shocked, by how damn impressive this game continues to be. I am beyond being blown away. I can't believe how big, beautiful and fluid all these systems and the world blend together. I ended up picking Kassandra as I heard she is the better written character of the two and is more serious than Alexios. In my brief 32 hours so far, I love her as a character. One of my main critisms of old AC games was how slow and tedious the openings always were - the game held your hand and walked you around this world for quite a while. I always hated that, and while the game at the start restricts you to a single island it is still great it lets you pretty much do whatever you want on it as soon as the game begins.

Another aspect of the game I thought I would hate is the RPG system and the choice involved in the story. I thought it would be a buzz word and you wouldn't have much say in what happens, and the game proves you wrong if you have this line of thinking as soon as you leave the opening island. There's a quest at the start of the game, where you can save a family who has some sort of sickness. They're going to be killed, and of course I stepped in and decided to help. It felt like a tiny decision, I even forgot about it as I progressed on in the game. After a couple of hours into the game, I thought I'd go back and finish up some stuff there, and the island had totally changed. I was blown away by what seemed like a tiny choice I had made impacted this island in the world. And then the skilltree has some very appealing abilites too! And the fact you can upgrade them and make them stronger is even better.

And as we are speaking of abilites, the combat in this game is god damn fun to engage in - which is super odd to say because the combat in all AC games to date has been just dull and boring. I never enjoyed it, just something I put up with as I went on but now, I'm actively trying to get into more fights! I even leave my mercenary meter thing high so I can get them to come after me more often and get good loot, lol. And the loot as well is a really good addition. It's always cool to get new gear with some new stats that fits your playing style, and if you don't like the way it looks you can have the look of other gear while having the stats of better gear too! It's a damn cool system to have in, giving you the ultimate choice.

There is a ton of stuff I want to talk about, but it would take way too long. I love hunting the cultists, I love that the story is pretty much seperate from the other AC games so you don't need to know a ton of shit in order to enjoy this one. It's great that you can have love interests, the ship combat and exploring is better than ever. The investigation system is good as well that mixes up the gameplay at times. There is just a ton of stuff I love about this game so far, and if it can keep that going by the time I reach the end, it'll be up there with my favourite RPG's.

I'll keep posting in here as I progress in the game. Not sure how far I am in at the moment, but loving every minute!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The game is shockingly better than it has any right to be. 100+ hours into the game and all DLC story stuff release so far finished, I most definitely agree with you on that.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 127 hours into the game as of the last DLC release and I still find myself booting it up to have a go. One of my favorite games this generation. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
That whole "level-gating" BS really hurt the rep of the game. Glad more people are realizing that the game's pretty dang good

asterios

Feb 14, 2019
This game really surprised me. I was playing RDR2 when this released, but kept falling asleep playing that, so decided to give Odyssey a shot. 100 hours later, it is one of the favorite games this generation.

OP
OP
EndlessNever

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. Can't wait for Viking's Creed.
Hopefully we have a choice of a female character again! Kassandra is amazing, and her voice actress is fantastic as well.

That whole "level-gating" BS really hurt the rep of the game. Glad more people are realizing that the game's pretty dang good
I was nervous of that when starting the game to be honest, and 30 hours in I've yet to be held back at all. I'm doing a ton of missions as well so that's helped me obviously, but I'm going well.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
One of my favorite games of this generation, usually I'am done with games after I finish them but I have put over 100 hours onto this and I don't plan on stopping.

Dec 5, 2017
Really loved this game and it impressed me a lot after being disappointed with Origins which I found pretty boring mainly due to Bayek. Kassandra was such a great character.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I love AC and it's a good game, but it was stretched waaay too thin for me. The world was simply too large for to spend dozens of hours doing the same enemy camps and forts. They really need to add more variety to the gameplay next time to justify the enormous size of the map.

OP
OP
EndlessNever

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I love AC and it's a good game, but it was stretched waaay too thin for me. The world was simply too large for to spend dozens of hours doing the same enemy camps and forts. They really need to add more variety to the gameplay next time to justify the enormous size of the map.
It's an issue I've noticed myself. They seem very lacking in mission variety. I'm constantly doing the same thing generally, but that I don't mind as I love the core gameplay loop. But I can see the issue.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Kassandra is an excellent character indeed. Writing is good and in some missions there is real choice that impacts the outcome. What I really enjoy is that most islands have their own storyline, which helps a lot to keep going. Areas with just forts and camps are a bit boring although I do thoroughly enjoy sneaking through the bigger forts and taking out anyone in there one step at a time.

Never had an issue with level gating either, when playing the proper side quests you will easily be leveled appropriately.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Is it better than Origins? Because I'm playing that right now and it is so incredibly repetitive I'll never get through it.

OP
OP
EndlessNever

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Is it better than Origins? Because I'm playing that right now and it is so incredibly repetitive I'll never get through it.
This game is a pretty big repetitive checklist in some ways. You're constantly doing the same type of activities, whether that be in side missions or even main ones. I just happen to really enjoy the core gameplay loop so it doesn't bother me as much.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

Yes it's better than origins. The activities are more varied, the world is more diverse, and the side missions feel like extensions of the story and not filler. Also, the level gating in Origins is terrible. Odyssey IMO is much better. There was a legit point in Origins that I didn't even want to complete it because of the grind that was required to reach a manageable level to complete the story. I never had that feeling at all in Odyssey, and I probably only did about 70% of the game.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is excellent for the first 20 or so hours.
After that, the shallow combat and super repetitive nature of the missions started to grind in a bad way.
Before the end I was rushing through story missions to wrap it up. I have the gold edition with the season pass (cheap deal), and I will never touch the DLC. In my opinion the game suffered from having way too much content.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This game really surprised me. I was playing RDR2 when this released, but kept falling asleep playing that, so decided to give Odyssey a shot. 100 hours later, it is one of the favorite games this generation.

i had to take multiple breaks from both. i eventually did finish red dead redemption 2. haven't gone back to odyssey for over a month now. i found them to be about equally draining / sleep-inducing :) ...

i far preferred origins. odyssey just feels like origins cut-&-pasted onto greece. & it's absolutely no less repetitive :) ...

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed Oyssey the whole way through. I thought Kassandra was awesome and the missions to be good for the most part. I was surprised, because I didn't like Origins as much.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously. It's weird I appreciate RDR2 but after diffing into odyssey I have no desire to head back to the old west.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting to beat origins before I get into odyssey, I really need to stop procrastinating

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
i am playing it now, but i still think unity is the best ac looking ever and nothing will top it. i am enjoying odyssey though, its a nice game but a lil clunky still.

Oct 27, 2017
Just started the Fate of Atlantis DLC today—the environments are some of the most beautiful I've seen in a video game period. I've definitely enjoyed Odyssey as a whole and like the direction Ubi is taking the series

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved it when I started, burnt myself out at about the 40 hour mark, double dipped the game on sale for another platform and honestly this time I love it even more and feel like I slightly took it for granted the first time around.

It's a great game.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll forever hate Ubisoft for not giving me Imperial Rome.

Anyway, how does Odyssey compares to Origins? I'm thinking of getting one of them but can't decide which.

Origins for me was okay, but odyssey is goty 2018 and one of the best games of the generation. Hooked me up completely for a couple of weeks.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
This game is one of my favorite open world games ever.

Completely unexpected. I hadn't played an AC game since Black Flag.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is very, very good. I'm about 60 hours in and haven't beaten it (the main story) yet, but still always enjoying it so much.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm also currently playing Odyssey and liking it, which I didn't expect as I didn't like Origins very much. Might be because Kassandra is a much more interesting character than Bayek or whatever his name was. Also this game has the spartan kick ability which instantly makes it one of the best AC games in my book, kicking people off mountains never gets old.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played it about 100 hours and enjoyed it a lot. A beautiful game with so many things to do with a good female character and an interesting story. Can't wait for next AC.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's so good. If I wasn't working right now, I would be at home finishing off those last few cult members.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad Ubisoft shifted the series the way they did with these past two games.

Haven't played Odyssey yet due to other stuff in my backlog, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I do. Put over 100 hours into Origins.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Loved the game. It seems to me like the game is heavily inspired by Witcher 3 and Shadow of Mordor, which is a good thing when you combine it with the assassination and traversal mechanics of an AC game. Side quests could be a little dull and grindy sometimes, especially compared to Witcher 3, but that was my only big complaint.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Put in about 40 hrs but couldn't get past the sheer scale and repetition. It has some great mechanics , stunning art , cool things like the cult . But I found myself just chasing markers from one part to the next . Even turning it to exploration mode made it less checkpoints it was still repetitive .

Absolutely love the assasins games up until origin where it's turned into a massive rpg world with the same objectives over and over again.

The change in the direction is obviously working for a lot of people but I am not feeling it. Unless it changes drastically for the next one I don't think I'll be buying assassins games day 1 anymore .

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This game is awesome. The most fun open world stealth game. I feel like this game is a successful MGS5, with slightly less complex enemy AI. I can see myself playing this game forever.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I'm right at the end after 80 or so hours and I'm looking forward to the DLC. Amazing game and Kassandra is perfect.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's okay. Stopped playing after 35h because of its main quest design loop and lots of meaningless content that made me feel like I've seen everything after 15 hours. Kassandra was the only reason I even played that long and it's because of her I will probably continue someday.

It's better than Origins, though.