• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Like what I assume is a large percentage of players, I never got the chance to check out Rogue when it came out in 2014. I've now bought the remastered version and been playing it. I cannot for the life of me name a single thing I like about it. Coming off the excellent Origins (which I just wrapped up a couple months ago), this game is utter and complete garbage in every way imaginable.

The world is dull. The gameplay is poor. The characters are terrible. The copy-paste from Black Flag is uninspired. The protagonist is less interesting than a snail. The list goes on. The only remotely redeeming quality is how the story expands on the templar perspective and connects to Unity, but that's just me being nice.

If you're one of those who have yet to play Rogue and plan to, I don't recommend it one bit. Watch a story summary on YT and move on. You're not missing anything.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue is a top-tier AC game to me lol, I loved it. It and Black Flag are the best versions of the pre-Origins AC gameplay imo

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It's alright, but utterly forgettable. The premise deserved a better execution.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Rogue is great. Better than Black Flag in many ways, and Black Flag is one of the best pre-Origins games in the series. I've played Rogue twice and will probably play it again one day.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, but different strokes. I liked it more than Black Flag. It's one of the top 5 AC games imo.

But the story could've been a bit better- the premise was amazing but the execution was good, but not great.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
bummer to hear. i know stephen totilo @ kotaku has sung the game's praises over the years and I generally agree with him. so even if I loved black flag and really enjoyed the gameplay of pre-2014 AC, this one isn't worth it?

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it loads. I miss that old AC formula, its much more fun than the newer AC games for me. Origin and Odyssey I got bored with part way through both, Rogue I enjoyed my time all the way to the end. Its not quite Black Flag level of amazing for me due to length and scope being less, but it basically is just more Black Flag goodness.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
bummer to hear. i know stephen totilo @ kotaku has sung the game's praises over the years and I generally agree with him. so even if I loved black flag and really enjoyed the gameplay of pre-2014 AC, this one isn't worth it?
If you loved Black Flag, there's almost zero reason you wouldn't at least somewhat enjoy Rogue. You might even like it more

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I gave up after having trouble during the first tutorial about hunting Assassin's or whatever in towns. Shit was super annoying and I kept failing.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's cold Black Flag. Nothing more, nothing less. If that's what you're looking for you're good to go. Playing it after Origins though is just unfair. Origins is a magnum opus.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP is being hyberbole. The game is much better than Black Flag when it comes to gameplay. The mission design alone is way better cause there is no tailing missions.

The atomsphere and the general plot isn't like Black Flag. It is closer to AC3 and includes characters like Haytham and Archiles. It is really interesting cause you play a templar this time.

If you loved Black Flag for the gameplay then you will have a really good time with this. Even more if you wanted AC3 style story but from a templar prespective.

Oct 27, 2017
It was fine. I liked Black Flag, and this just felt like a large expansion to that game, so I liked it as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I couldn't get through it at launch but that was more because I jumped to some other game. It was just a bit bland and didn't keep my attention. But going back to it now, no way I could do that. Especially as I'm now wrapping up the excellent Odyssey. Going back would be pretty painful so I feel you OP.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just played it on Switch and thought it was pretty great.

I really liked the world, especially the arctic region with the icebergs. The New York was MUCH better than AC3's, in Rogue it actually has some color and character too it.
It was a really solid Switch port too, I was actually impressed at times with how many NPCs they could get on screen.

Gameplay wise... It's an Assassin's Creed game. If you didn't like any of the old ones you're not going to like this one either, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect differently.
But I had just come from playing AC3 Remaster and thought it was a large improvement from a gameplay perspective. Combat is snappier and you have more tools at your disposal.

I also liked the Templar focused story as well. It gets a bit boring in the second half (after a REALLY good setpiece level where your character decides to go against the Assassin's), but it's still not bad.
And as far as the protagonist is concerned, I liked him better than the Black Flag guy in AC4 and Connor from AC3. Unlike most AC games this guy actually has a personal goal beyond revenge (which is the basic motivation of most AC protagonists), Rogue's character is actually trying to stop more catastrophes and make up for the one he caused.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Crazy how opinions can differ. If Rogue had the same budget and time in the oven as the other games it probably would've been the best AC game in my opinion. As it is it has pacing problems because of the short campaign and a lack of content in general but damn I enjoyed it more than black flag not gonna lie.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
NOPE

Rogue is fantastic and a nice little epilogue to that era of AC. I loved Black Flag so to get that but with gameplay additions was exactly what I wanted. Doesn't overstay its welcome either.

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
OP is being hyberbole. The game is much better than Black Flag when it comes to gameplay. The mission design alone is way better cause there is no tailing missions.

The atomsphere and the general plot isn't like Black Flag. It is closer to AC3 and includes characters like Haytham and Archiles. It is really interesting cause you play a templar this time.

If you loved Black Flag for the gameplay then you will have a really good time with this. Even more if you wanted AC3 style story but from a templar prespective.
I must be the only one who likes tail missions, lol. At least in Black Flag they were well designed. Great opportunities to test your skills in stealth and parkour.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a better Assassins Creed game, but a worse Black Flag, if that makes sense.

It doesn't go totally Pirate crazy, and tries to tell a fun story about the Assassins and the Templars, unlike BF. Black Flag is, of course, a way better boat/pirate game, but the AC parts suck a lot, and feel kinda tacked in.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Origins probably spoiled me. If I'd played ACR before Origins, I might have found it less painful.
I'm replaying through Black Flag and Origins simultaneously and it's fine to go back and fourth. Obviously Origins controls much better, but I actually like Black Flag more because the parkour in rooftops is still a thing in the game (it's one of the best things in AC to me, and it's practically non existent in Origins and Odyssey), also the missions are more interesting and better paced to me. Not to mention story, atmosphere, characters, etc. Origins is still great though, better than Odyssey in my opinion.

Soon I'm going to replay Rogue too. I remember liking it but not as much as Black Flag.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Loved Black Flag. This was more of that, so I really enjoyed it. Not AS much as Black Flag, but still good.

Can't comment on how to compare pre-Origins games to Origins and Odyssey since the direction in those two games were ones I personally didn't want to pursue. So I dropped the series after Syndicate.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be the only one who likes tail missions, lol. At least in Black Flag they were well designed. Great opportunities to test your skills in stealth and parkour.
It is not that they are bad, it is just that there are to many of them. It would have been way better if they had less of them and more varied objectives.

Every game in the series is guilty of samey missions but BF's overuse of them was just painful.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Really nobody should consider any of my opinions well researched or well thought.

AC3 is garbage though. At least superman is entertaining to make fun of. AC3 is a void of nothing where no fun can enter.

Im virtually new to the series, bought the first one on release and didn't get into it and never bothered with AC again until recently.

Bought 3 on sale on Switch and really enjoyed the first few hours but then started doing these fucking walking eavesdropping missions which are bullshit personified. I had to rage quit the other day because it seemed like I kept failing no matter what I did and the rules for when people saw me were wildly inconsistent.

Should I give up and maybe try Rogue/another one? Or is the whole series similar in that regard ? Honestly really enjoy the combat and the world but can't stand those instafail eavesdropping parts.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Im virtually new to the series, bought the first one on release and didn't get into it and never bothered with AC again until recently.

Bought 3 on sale on Switch and really enjoyed the first few hours but then started doing these fucking walking eavesdropping missions which are bullshit personified. I had to rage quit the other day because it seemed like I kept failing no matter what I did and the rules for when people saw me were wildly inconsistent.

Should I give up and maybe try Rogue/another one? Or is the whole series similar in that regard ? Honestly really enjoy the combat and the world but can't stand those instafail eavesdropping parts.

I would give up and play black flag or find a copy of AC2

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
"garbage" and "trash" should just really be banned words at this point lol.
But I do agree that Rogue is pretty uninspired and ultimately a bit of a nothingburger. It's just a direct to dvd sequel of Black Flag essentially, with a few good moments dotted around.

It's a huge missed opportunity narratively as well - the writing is just terrible with how Shay's actions are justified. It's nonsensical, rushed, and just devoid of any well earned emotional moments.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It is not that they are bad, it is just that there are to many of them. It would have been way better if they had less of them and more varied objectives.

Every game in the series is guilty of samey missions but BF's overuse of them was just painful.
Fair enough. There are perhaps a few too many of them, so I can see why people were annoyed by it.

At least it also has a lot of assassination missions, and I love those.

It's like you said, every AC suffers from repetitive missions, even Origins and Odyssey, but I happen to like BF missions the most of all the series. It's up there with Brotherhood to me.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017

The mission design in AC3 is just terrible. Don't give up and give Black Flag, Rogue and Ezio's Collection a go. Origins and Odyssey are worth playing too, but completely different games.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
It's an interesting game but it really shows that it's a spin-off. If you played all the AC games before it like me the formula got goddamn old by that time. Still, the story is quite interesting by AC standards especially if you played III and IV before it and play Unity after. It connects them really nice. The main story is really really short like 1/4 of other AC games and even the side content is less but the map itself is really big maybe even bigger than Black Flag which makes no sense at all. They changed a formula with you being a templar for once but your abilities and weapons are almost exactly the same as the assassins and the assassin strongholds are the same as templar ones with a hundred generic disposable blind thugs. That felt really cheap to me.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
The fact that you played it way after it released and played a better AC game before Rogue, that might have been part of the problem lol. Rogue wasn't bad, but it didn't feel like it deserved to be a full game. I felt that it was more like Black Flag DLC. I didn't hate it. I thought it was just ok though.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I've only played a little of Origins, so when I went back and played Black Flag and Rogue, my perspective has mostly been from the context of all entries prior. I loved both games but find Rogue to be superior of the two.

Perhaps this means I'll have something to really look forward to when I catch back up, but I still have Unity, Syndicate, and Chronicles trilogy to play.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Nope, it's in the top 5 best ass creed games.

Drop 3, it's probably the worst game in the series, play assassins creed 2, black flag, rouge and origins.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Origins probably spoiled me. If I'd played ACR before Origins, I might have found it less painful.
I totally get that. I used to like the old 'pre Origins' AC a lot but when I recently tried to replay AC 3 (Remastered) I didn't enjoy it very much. Gameplay in Origins/Odyssey is way more fun for me. If only the latter were less bloated...

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Having not played Rogue I imagine going back would be kind of jarring. I haven't Installed Unity for the same reason after playing Origins and Odyssey

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Dont agree at all with the OP. I absolutely love Rogue and Shay was one of the biggest reasons for that.
The protagonist is less interesting than a snail. The list goes on
Shay is literally the most interesting protagonist to me outside of Conor (I REALLY dont like AC3 but he is) and his story kept me far more attached to the game than AC4, which I dropped after an hour.

I preferred Rogue to Black Flag. In fact, I'd place it in probably my top 3 favourite AC games.
Same. For me top 3 is Brotherhood, Odyssey, Rogue, with Syndicate in the running against Rogue.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if you've heard this but apparently this guy Shay, he makes his own luck. isn't that interesting? isn't that novel? The man Makes His Own Luck. Wow, what a guy! I never get tired of hearing him say that. I wish he reminded us that he MaKeS hIs OwN lUcK!!!111!oneone more often, because he doesn't do it enough in the game.

---

anyways i solely watched all of the cutscenes and dialogue on YouTube and i still hate that i wasted my time on it. Honestly it adds nothing to the story besides cartoonifying an interesting bit of backstory alluded to in assassins creed 3, and is of absolutely no consequence to the sci fi layer of the series.

literally just forget this game exists, please.