• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
N18nxmZ.png

I started Baten Kaitos over the holiday break, and while I'm not done yet, I'm really into it. I was a little hesitant to start, as some friends of mine had warned me that they absolutely hated it. While I kind of get it, I'm getting a lot out of the game thus far. A lot of the game reminds me of Chrono Cross. It's not just the art direction and pre-rendered backgrounds, but also how it re-invents the JRPG wheel in similar ways for better or worse.

Let's just start with the mechanics first. Baten Kaitos' most prominent feature is its card-based battle system. At first it seemed like it was simplistic, slow, and overly random. Stuff that might not be able to engage me for a full game. Luckily enough they were smart about this. The game's got a bunch of timers, buffs and debuffs, elemental weaknesses and strengths, different types of combos, and contrasting elements that cancel each other out. All of this works for both attacking and defending phases, which basically keeps you involved throughout every single battle. None of that button mashing your way through combat here. You frequently find new cards too, and it's worth changing up your deck.

bhY1pUf.png

Something I'm less sold on, is the way it handles levelling. While you accumulate EXP normally like in other games, you can basically only cash in on that EXP at special save points. These save points warp you to an ethereal church dimension, where you can talk to someone, who'll let you choose how many levels you can "buy". The idea is cute, but after 10 hours, you'll start noticing that it's kind of slow, and cumbersome. At this point, I wish there was more to do in that church to justify itself as a physical location you can walk in, or just turn it into a simpler menu. Speaking of menus, I don't know who designed these menus, but 30+ hours in, and they still trip me up regularly. In spite of many sorting options for my cards, can never seem to find a sorting method I like, and the one I start with always seems to be the least useful one. The main menu itself is a bizarre tree-menu, where turning options on and off have their own section in the tree.

Then on to the big one… the voice acting. Aside from the card battles, this was the one other thing I knew about the game. People didn't exaggerate how bad it was. Almost all of the characters in this game are phoning it in and the audio quality even sounds like it could have been recorded over the phone. Most characters sound like they're doing a primary school play, and others sound so utterly disingenuous that they come off as complete assholes.

8DpYHAe.png

In spite of that though, the characters seem decent enough. A couple were ripped straight out of Final Fantasy X, like Gibari. They work well enough within the story the game is telling. At one point I thought I had the game figured out, when a character got introduced whose voice acting I recognised from previous, villain-foreshadowing scenes. While I ended up being right about that, the game went the extra mile by layering another twist on top of that, making it feel more satisfying.

Some assorted thoughts:
  • Its aesthetic of clouds and stars gives the whole thing a dream-like aesthetic. It's very pleasant. I'm also noticing middle eastern influences in the game's design and naming, which is also pretty unique for video games.
  • Savyna straight up Falcon Punched a toddler, what the hell.
  • Mira was some trippy stuff. Every time I thought I got a handle on its graphical gimmicks, it pulled out a new one. Going full Tower of Druaga wasn't even the strangest thing somehow.
  • "Gram and Leon". Maybe it's because the game put Chrono games on the brain, it made me think of Gran and Leon, the Japanese names of Masa and Mune.
  • Monolith's fascination with relationship charts is also present here. Is the family tree sidequest worth doing? I don't think I even have a quarter filled in, and I talk to NPCs pretty diligently.
  • What's the deal with the Great Mizuki? They seem like a Xelha-clone mechanically, so I'm not sure what they add to the roster other than splitting up Xelha's valuable magic cards.
  • If you're going to play this game yourself, this is one of those games where you'll want to stagger your saves! Keep a separate save for blue save points and red save points, because I can easily see this being a game where you can trap yourself in unwinnable situations if you only use one save slot.

For those wondering how deep I am, I'm currently in the Imperial Fortress on disc 2, collecting water. I don't really hear a lot of chatter about this game, so any tips or discussion is welcome. Just try to be mindful with spoilers.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
just so you know, there are several magnus cards and recipes that are completely missable, some of them are even a one-time, one-chance event in the whole game.

so if you haven't been using a guide for a 100% gathering up until now don't bother trying to go for a complete set once you think you're nearing the end, it's gone.

have fun with this amazing game 👍😉

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss this game, I felt like there was some pacing issue because I always stop playing around the same point and it's on the latest parts of the game.
But man I really loved that battle system, also I could never play Origins since yay Europe...

Last edited:

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I always wanted to play this but i never did.... and i probably never will ugh (though it's been sitting in my backlog for years now) I shall live vicariously through you and be glad that you're enjoying it though ;)

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I remember liking the battle music when I saw a preview of it. That and Ice cards can melt into water cards

What's the twist?
DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME:
I seem to remember that the main character is actually working for the main bad guy, I can't remember names or any specifics, but that was the general idea of it. Part of the way through your spirit (the player controlling the game) gets kicked out of the main character's body and into another party member to complete the game.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
I love this game so hard. I played it as a kid and was completely amazed by it.

Is the voice acting really that bad? I can't recall that. I even remember some of the dialogues they scream while doing some attacks.

Mizuti and Xelha are different because of the elements they use. Also, I think Mizuti is a more offensive warlock.

And why didn't anyone mention the amazing music composed by Motoi Sakuraba (Golden, Resonance of Fate). The songs of this game are incredible.

Also, I can't say a lot of this but the plot twist was a mind blown and the prequel... If you finish the first one, please, you should play Baten Kaitos Origins. It only gets better in every way.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
If you haven't already, switch from stereo to surround in the options. That does at least make it so that the characters don't sound like they're talking into a bucket.

I though it was okay, but Baten Kaitos: Origins is miles better.

OP
OP
EarthPainting

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
I love this game so hard. I played it as a kid and was completely amazed by it.

Is the voice acting really that bad? I can't recall that. I even remember some of the dialogues they scream while doing some attacks.

Mizuti and Xelha are different because of the elements they use. Also, I think Mizuti is a more offensive warlock.

And why didn't anyone mention the amazing music composed by Motoi Sakuraba (Golden, Resonance of Fate). The songs of this game are incredible.

Also, I can't say a lot of this but the plot twist was a mind blown and the prequel... If you finish the first one, please, you should play Baten Kaitos Origins. It only gets better in every way.
The music is indeed great I'm not the biggest Sakuraba fan, but he really brought it. Not sure if Origins is going to be realistic for me. I'm part of the PAL peasantry, which never got Origins. Import prices are looking a little steep for my liking, and then I'd still have to deal with the regionlock itself. If only Nintendo had some sort of solution for their legacy games. A virtualised console of some sorts.

If you haven't already, switch from stereo to surround in the options. That does at least make it so that the characters don't sound like they're talking into a bucket.

I though it was okay, but Baten Kaitos: Origins is miles better.
Much appreciated tip. I'll do that.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first JrPg I fell in love with and finished. I still have the GameCube version lying around somewhere, although no way to play it now.

Would love to play the sequel, but it was never released in Europe and no idea how to do that.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Baten Kaitos Origins is better in almost all aspects. From characters, to battle system, to story, the difference in quality between the two is immense and I still find shocking that many critics rated it worse than the original at the time.

The twists in the first one were worth the experience but there's no doubt that it was basically a prototype for the formula that BKO perfected.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's a great game, I actually liked the voice acting, I found the writing had too much of:

"we''ll go over there now"
"yes we'll go over there"
"I agree, let's go over there now"

Which drove me insane at times lol.

Something I discovered to make the battles smoother. Remove all your defense cards. They are a little too situational and I found my hand too full with them on my turn. I found just having attack and healing cards way more effective. Absorb the damage, heal and attack.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Would love to play the sequel, but it was never released in Europe and no idea how to do that.

You can use a Freeloader boot disc, they're still available on eBay. I used it for a few other games too, it was better than waiting for years to RPGs to release here.

OP
OP
EarthPainting

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Something I discovered to make the battles smoother. Remove all your defense cards. They are a little too situational and I found my hand too full with them on my turn. I found just having attack and healing cards way more effective. Absorb the damage, heal and attack.
Hm, interesting. Right now I have Savyna set up with very little defensive cards, but only because she has a bunch of attack cards with defensive capabilities as well. I might turn her into full-offence as see how viable that is. If it works out, I can do it with a full party of three.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
The music is indeed great I'm not the biggest Sakuraba fan, but he really brought it. Not sure if Origins is going to be realistic for me. I'm part of the PAL peasantry, which never got Origins. Import prices are looking a little steep for my liking, and then I'd still have to deal with the regionlock itself. If only Nintendo had some sort of solution for their legacy games. A virtualised console of some sorts.

Much appreciated tip. I'll do that.
Baten Kaitos Origins is better in almost all aspects. From characters, to battle system, to story, the difference in quality between the two is immense and I still find shocking that many critics rated it worse than the original at the time.

The twists in the first one were worth the experience but there's no doubt that it was basically a prototype for the formula that BKO perfected.

The licensing problem with Baten Kaitos is way worse than we imagine and I think that's why we haven't seen it. Baten Kaitos Origins was the first deal of Monolithsoft with Nintendo but it also shares some Tri-Crescendo and Bandai Namco rights.

The quality of the second one is because Nintendo was involved with it, as happened with Bayonetta 2 for example.

I wish we could play it again ):

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite Baten Kaitos game. The prequel is a great game as well, but i found the party from the first game much more enjoyable.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
I'm in the clan of "poor european people than loved the first one and was never able to play origins"

Ths final twist was mindblowing.

Bennu

Jan 15, 2018
I loved both these games so much... the things I would do for any type of follow-up. It kills me the third one was cancelled but atleast Honne at monolith still wants it to happen and advises people to tell Bandai that to make it happen...

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Odd to see this thread pop-up. I never played these games but I was considering buying them to try them out since I'm on a Monolith Soft binge.

The card system kind of makes me uneasy about trying it out though. Last card battle game I played was Kingdom Hearts CoM and I don't know how into it I'd be.

The art for these games look gorgeous though, I keep wondering why all of the characters seem to have both human and animal qualities. Are they just all different races in the games' world?

OP
OP
EarthPainting

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
I also didn't touch upon this in the OP, but taking photos to make money is just the strangest idea to me too. I'm not entirely sure if I'm missing something, but I never know if my photo will be any good until the battle is over. I get that Light and Dark attacks affect your shot, but as far as I know, there's no way to tell if your arena is under- or over-lit during battle. It's also weird that your crew can take selfies when they're about to be attacked.

Odd to see this thread pop-up. I never played these games but I was considering buying them to try them out since I'm on a Monolith Soft binge.

The card system kind of makes me uneasy about trying it out though. Last card battle game I played was Kingdom Hearts CoM and I don't know how into it I'd be.

The art for these games look gorgeous though, I keep wondering why all of the characters seem to have both human and animal qualities. Are they just all different races in the games' world?
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't like it in CoM, but find the card battles pretty enjoyable in Baten Kaitos. They integrate it well, and give you a lot of options.

I know what you mean by the animal qualities. A ton of characters have wings, and I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe the game will get into it later, but at this point, I'm not sure if it will.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I should replay it, but I remember really liking it. Mostly for the varied locations. Normally I really dislike card-based games, but this one has me hooked. I already own the sequel, but I've never played it. Does it tie much into the first one?

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
This and it's sequel are one of my favorite rpgs ever, the music, the amazing art and unique battle system.

The only thing I didn't like was the english voices.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Another card RPG game I liked was Lost Kingdom 1 & 2 but too bad From Software is now locked into making countless Demon's Souls clone now, we really need more Action RPG card games.

Ecthel

Nov 20, 2017
I really love both this game and it sequels, my main complaints with the first one were solved in the prequel. I bought the freeloader disc just to play Origins since the original was my favourite GC game (actually a tie with Lost Kingdoms II, another exclusive card-based RPG).

EDIT: wow, not the first one to mention Lost Kingdoms, I agree we need more weird RPGs with unique mechanics like these games.

Oct 27, 2017
Be aware that there are at least 2 points in the game where you can get stuck underlevelled without any access to the church.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also didn't touch upon this in the OP, but taking photos to make money is just the strangest idea to me too. I'm not entirely sure if I'm missing something, but I never know if my photo will be any good until the battle is over. I get that Light and Dark attacks affect your shot, but as far as I know, there's no way to tell if your arena is under- or over-lit during battle. It's also weird that your crew can take selfies when they're about to be attacked.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't like it in CoM, but find the card battles pretty enjoyable in Baten Kaitos. They integrate it well, and give you a lot of options.

I know what you mean by the animal qualities. A ton of characters have wings, and I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe the game will get into it later, but at this point, I'm not sure if it will.

I mean I actually enjoyed the battle system in CoH, but I always feel lazy about making decks.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
One of us! One of us!
I wouldn't say Baten Kaitos is underrated, I think pretty much everyone who played it consider it as a very solid and memorable RPG (also definitely the spiritual successor to Chrono Cross) but yeah, it's kind of niche. I mean, it's not the easiest to grasp RPG ever. But it's an amazing tale supported by a crazy battle system. So many RPGs have paled in comparison to the experience I've had with these two - oh yeah, by all mean, play Origins whenever you can. It really is the "part 2" of an amazing diptych.

Does it tie much into the first one?

Yeah, a lot. A part of the satisfaction when playing Chrono Cross was to find out how much its story was tied to Trigger. Baten Kaitos Origins follows this dynamic and ups it to 11. BKO starts like a very new and independant story, but it will turn out very quickly something much deeper and emotional than you'd have expected. It's already a good game on its own, but when you have played and enjoyed the first one, it's nothing less than a masterpiece. Somehow, after finishing Origins, you will have the feeling that you've actually truely finished Eternal Wings. It's my best "sequel done right" case. (Technically, it's a prequel, but it was MADE to be played after Eternal Wings and it shows)

Yep, pretty much this.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot. A part of the satisfaction when playing Chrono Cross was to find out how much its story was tied to Trigger. Baten Kaitos Origins follows this dynamic and ups it to 11. BKO starts like a very new and independant story, but it will turn out very quickly something much deeper and emotional than you'd have expected. It's already a good game on its own, but when you have played and enjoyed the first one, it's nothing less than a masterpiece. Somehow, after finishing Origins, you will have the feeling that you've actually truely finished Eternal Wings. It's my best "sequel done right" case. (Technically, it's a prequel, but it was MADE to be played after Eternal Wings and it shows)
Cool, thanks. I should definitely either replay the first game then. That or read a thorough summary.

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
I've recently replayed the first game on an emulator and I was blown away with how graphically impressive some things were (prerendered cloud layering, 3D snow mesh deformation, reflections,...), its narrative and plot twists for a game that's from 2003. Also, the way they integrated the player as a Guardian Spirit and how you're being addressed throughout the story was really pulled off well.

I've never played the second game but I'm worried as the battle system seems a bit downgraded compared to the second one. I'm glad the games get a little bit of attention thanks to their Smash Spirits inclusion and I hope this eventually leads to a remaster. Baten Kaitos 1 has my favorite art direction/setting of probably any game ever, it can fit in very loosely into Xenoblade 2's lore and has a great battle system that would probably be loved more nowadays than it did back then.

While replaying the game I also made plenty of gifs and I should probably upload them properly somewhere.

Welp I really have to get down to that. O.o

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i've had baten kaitos for years and i never really got into it. now that i have a better understanding of how card-based games are supposed to work, i guess i could hook my gamecube up and give it another shot one of these days.

i also have or have access to baten kaitos origins. i've heard the game is better in almost every way. i guess that game's a lot like valkyrie profile 2 in which it looks like a prequel and acts like a sequel? i never played vp1 and i was able to enjoy vp2 a lot. can you do the same with origins?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this thread is making me want to buy the game to try it out. Sucks that it doesn't have a re-release anywhere.

If anybody doesn't want their copy anymore, hit me up hahah.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
One of the games that I wanted a GC for... but it was impossible to find PAL for a nice price at the time... so never played it... :(
Hope someday there will be a remaster or just an emulated version on newer consoles...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it since the year it released, but I remember being deeply in love with it. It's incredibly underrated, and it's criminal that it's so difficult to play in 2019.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I really miss this game, I felt like there was some pacing issue because I always stop playing around the same point and it's on the latest parts of the game.
But man I really loved that battle system, also I could never play Origins since yay Europe...

It was my first import game, bought the freeloader and a new US copy, it ended up being cheaper than buying a brand new PAL game back then (freeloader was like 10€ and BKO 40€ or something), only game I used the freeloader for and 100% worth it.

The quality of the second one is because Nintendo was involved with it, as happened with Bayonetta 2 for example.

How so?
Nintendo didn't do much from a creative standpoint for BKO, it was very much a Monolith/Tri-Crescendo project (with Tri-Crescendo taking a bigger share of the work, including the battle system) funded by Namco that gave up on the project at the last moment and Nintendo picked it up since it was developed as a GC exclusive to begin with.

I second what everyone says on how incredible Origins is.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Origins (the second game) has the much superior battle system.
I second that. I totally understand people who prefer the battle system of Eternal Wings - it's not STRAIGHT inferior, it has a different flavor that one why prefer - but no RPG has topped Origins' battle system in my heart. It's clever, amazingly dynamic, getting to master it is a BLAST, and it has so many details that make me go back to the game only to fight a couple of battles, just for the sake of it. I could write a book about it but there it is : Baten Kaitos Origins battles are an amazing experience. Should you prefer the battle system of EW, you'll still have a blast.

i never played vp1 and i was able to enjoy vp2 a lot. can you do the same with origins?
You'll enjoy it, but you will really love it when you play it after Eternal Wings, and there are bits of the story that will leave you 'Oh, okay, that's a big deal indeed" rather than just totally breathless.

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
I second that. I totally understand people who prefer the battle system of Eternal Wings - it's not STRAIGHT inferior, it has a different flavor that one why prefer - but no RPG has topped Origins' battle system in my heart. It's clever, amazingly dynamic, getting to master it is a BLAST, and it has so many details that make me go back to the game only to fight a couple of battles, just for the sake of it. I could write a book about it but there it is : Baten Kaitos Origins battles are an amazing experience. Should you prefer the battle system of EW, you'll still have a blast.

You'll enjoy it, but you will really love it when you play it after Eternal Wings, and there are bits of the story that will leave you 'Oh, okay, that's a big deal indeed" rather than just totally breathless.

Damn thanks :) I really didn't know that Origins battle system was better, from videos I saw on YouTube it seemed like they simplified the original battle system for the worse, but guess that's not the case. I'll try to give it a try soon!

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Baten Kaitos is a game of extremes I think, in what it gets right and wrong. The good side is one of the best game soundtracks ever, beautiful environments (which being prerendered, really hold up) and great atmosphere, and some really fun gameplay ideas with a very unique battle and inventory system. Don't let the cards scare you off either; it's nothing like Hearthstone or whatever. Cards are used to string attack combos together - I guess a quick description might be a mix between Megaman Battle Network and a more traditionally turn-based JRPG.

The bad...well, the story takes forever to really go anywhere, a lot of the characters are pretty standard JRPG fare, the voice acting is terrible and doesn't even manage to be funny-bad most of the time. And there's some clunkiness to the implementation of the mechanics - the ideas are great and mostly work in practice, but there's a little jank too (the battle system is cool but a little slow, aforementioned save/levelling issues, etc). For some people including myself the good outweighs the bad, for some it doesn't.

Origins improves on the first game in almost every way, perhaps the most underrated game on the Gamecube. The battle system keeps some of the same ideas but is very different, thoroughly overhauled and much faster. I wouldn't really say it's less strategic either, just different. It's one of the best prequels ever too, actually offering a superior story that does not require you to play the original but also gives a lot of new perspective to it. The playable cast is slimmed down to just three characters, all interesting and highly developed - an unusual move for a JRPG, but it works very well. And the voice acting is actually really good this time!

I do slightly prefer the first game's soundtrack, though both are great.

i've had baten kaitos for years and i never really got into it. now that i have a better understanding of how card-based games are supposed to work, i guess i could hook my gamecube up and give it another shot one of these days.

i also have or have access to baten kaitos origins. i've heard the game is better in almost every way. i guess that game's a lot like valkyrie profile 2 in which it looks like a prequel and acts like a sequel? i never played vp1 and i was able to enjoy vp2 a lot. can you do the same with origins?
I think the best way to approach it is to just play BK1 to the end of the second island, which won't take that long. By then you should know whether the game clicks with you or not. If it does you can keep going; if not you can switch to Origins and you'll at least have enough idea of the first game's story to appreciate Origins' a bit more.

Last edited:

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I really love this game. I'd be all over a remaster of this and the sequel if it ever came to Switch...

Although maybe with some new voice acting lol

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
One other thing...
  • What's the deal with the Great Mizuki? They seem like a Xelha-clone mechanically, so I'm not sure what they add to the roster other than splitting up Xelha's valuable magic cards.
IIRC Mizuti has somewhat better defense. Mizuti also has the only physical-typed finishers, which can be useful. But really, it comes down to which you like better - I prefer Mizuti as a character and they have probably the best VA of the playable cast, so I used them. There is not much point in having both in your party.

Last edited:

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Fantastic RPG.

Shame Origins never released in Europe. While the card system can be wonky in terms of drawing cards which are unusable in certain battles, but what a ride. The twist was amazing btw; did not see it coming at all.

Also, Chaotic Dance battle theme is amazing

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The first game is okay. All of the criticisms are legitimate, but the story does pick up by the second half.

Origins is amazing and it's criminal so few people played it.

Also, ready for something super sad? From Honne:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Who owns the IP now?
And what are the chances of a remaster collection on the switch?

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Baten Kaitos 3 was once rumored for Nintendo DS

Monolith should make one for switch instead of xenoblade.