• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'd always been kinda interested in this game but I'd always put off trying it. Until yesterday when I saw it on PC Game Pass and thought hey let's give it a shot.

So I'm about 5 hours in and I am loving it. The combat system is great. the look is...very mid 2000's comic booky but has charm. I know that this is based on a comic book but I'm not familiar with the source material. The game however gives you a pretty good catchup on where things are at.

Gully, the daughter of a hero, has inherited his magic gauntlets. She's learning to use them properly both to protect herself and her friends, because there are people in the world who want that power for themselves. Pretty simple. She's got some interesting companions, like Garrison the tough swordsman who knew Gully's dad, as well as Callibretto the mechanized War Golem. The fact this is all based on previous material means the game doesn't spend a lot of time on how and why they know each other, but the writing gives them a good sense of camaraderie.

The combat is pretty standard Turn Based. Attacks have speed values that affect when they will occur. Main basic attacks are almost all instant/same turn, while some of the bigger hits might take a turn or two to happen. So you've gotta plan ahead, especially with heals because you might get a delayed heal from a skill or maybe you should go for an instant item heal. There's also the overcharge system, so even if you're out of Mana for skills, you can use your basics to build Overcharge which acts as more mana, and some character skills like Garrison's Warblade can burn that Overcharge to do more damage.

I love the character combat archetypes so far because they're a bit different. Gully is a young girl but she has the highest HP and a bunch of defensive moves. Her gauntlets give her high defensive capabilities so she's actually your tank. 'Bretto is a big robot but he's primarily a healer type, with numerous over-time and instant heal skills. Garrison is your more standard Damage Dealer, with many ways to cause Bleed, increase his and the party's speed, or hit multiple enemies at once.

Visually, the game looks great. In combat the animations are fantastic and the hits are meaty looking. Getting gut punched by a giant war golem looks as impressive as it should. I like the character designs mostly.

Gameplay flow is a mix of a number of different types. There's the world map which is a bunch of nodes connect by lines from place to place, with random battles on some of the nodes. There's also crafting material drops on the map, and some shrines that give temp buffs. All very functional.
Next is Exploration Areas, which are enclosed areas which are mostly just for doing puzzles or talking to people and finding loot. Generally safe from combat in these. Then there's the dungeons, and when you go to enter one you can choose the difficulty. Normal, Heroic, or Legendary, which have varied levels of completion rewards. The dungeons are laid out in room by room grids, so clear a room, grab its look, kill its enemies, move on to the next room. There's enemy spawns and you can see them on the screen before encountering them. This also ties into each character's Dungeon Skill, which have limited charges per Dungeon but can affect how you proceed. Bretto has a party heal he can use 6 times, Gully can ground pound and stun any nearby enemies, which will carry over into battle, and Garrison can dash through traps and any enemy he dashes into lets him start combat with Haste active.

All in all, I'm really impressed and I think turn based fans should give this a shot.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Yep,great game,gets a little repetitious near the end and I dont know if that huge difficulty spike is still there around mid game but I had a blast with it,even though I never could beat the end Boss...

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Its awesome, though I probably like it more just because I love the Battle Chasers comics (and am eagerly waiting for the new comics that are supposedly releasing). No lie though, it can be pretty difficult at points.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I loved it. One of my biggest surprises of 2017. Never felt the need to grind much, but loved the combat so I didn't mind doing more battling. I hope they come out with a sequel in the near future.

Anyone who likes JRPGs should give it a chance.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
I enjoyed it a lot but overstayed its welcome, too much grind later on, when I was about half way through I just wanted it to end.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I just finished up with it last week. I liked it a lot but I just skipped the last boss, couldn't beat it and didn't want to grind to get strong enough. I honestly didn't pay attention at all to the story, but the looting, dungeons and design were what kept me going to the (near) end.

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I never read the comics or anything but I certaintly enjoyed this game and beat it. I thought the combat was satisfying, it felt good to get a new strong weapon, and unlocking skills had a big impact. I also loved the soundtrack, and I thought it was refreshing how there would be a new combat theme for every dungeon. I never ended up switching the main party though, perhaps that could be an incentive to replay it someday.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. Excellent combat system and lovely hand-drawn art and cutscenes. Was really hoping for a sequel. Looking forward to their next turnbased game Ruined King.

Also, the animations are so good!

giphy.gif

Sep 14, 2018
All these comments about grinding... what? Garrison is so over the top he trivializes the whole game from like the dungeon before Crimson Gardens. Monika can do it too but she is more single target, Garrison can 1 shot clear anything with Rage Wave, use burst 2 and Berserk for bosses, or Warblade with 60 overcharge or generally just looking at enemies he blows them up.

Anyway my point is this game has like next to no grind, I just went through it last month for the first time and I know there was some rebalancing of the final boss but grind? Not at all, maybe when I leveled the 3 I had benched but I only did that cause I wanted to play more.

If anything I found that there wasn't enough of a challenge lategame, like I finished up getting everyone's ultimate weapons but by that point literally nothing was a challenge anymore. Missed opportunity for some post game dungeon.

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Warning, one of the characters ultimate weapons requires you to grind an early stage for a random event to occur. I was unlucky and had to play the first dungeon over 10 times to get it to proc. On top of that, you can mess up the event, so if I didn't look this up I would have had to do this all over again.

I casually grinded a couple of times but it was mostly just for fun until I got bored with a dungeon.

As for difficulty, uhhh what? Gully can't die, the robot can full heal a party, and both Garrison and Monica are broken in how much damage they do. I don't know if the wizard is any good. His skills didn't really jump out to me, nor did the white monk.

Sep 14, 2018
As for difficulty, uhhh what? Gully can't die, the robot can full heal a party, and both Garrison and Monica are broken in how much damage they do. I don't know if the wizard is any good. His skills didn't really jump out to me, nor did the white monk.

They're pretty busted too, Knolan gets hasted by debuffing with fire so he can take several actions in a row, I think Drain Heat is the skill, and Alumon can end up being Tank, DPS and Healer all in one, on par with everyone else, his overhealing turns into shields which can get a looot of value.

And just for posterity, there's a quick and easy way to get the sarcophagus to spawn for the component of Gully's weapon. When it spawns it's always right at the start, so if it's not one of the first things you run into just abandon the dungeon and start it again in the menu where you select the difficulty, it should take a few minutes at most.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I played this like two weeks ago, but I gave up in less than 10 hours. I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately it was a little too bland, repetitive and slow. The footage made it seem like the game would be mostly set in the isometric view, unfortunately that's only for (random generated) dungeons. Most of the game is played on the map screen. Most fights are unavoidable, really easy and pretty much the same every time. Story and characters are really forgettable, but I think what I disliked the most was the extremely slow walking speed. Shame, there's plenty to like as well, but not enough to leave me excited to play more.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd always been kinda interested in this game but I'd always put off trying it. Until yesterday when I saw it on PC Game Pass and thought hey let's give it a shot.

So I'm about 5 hours in and I am loving it. The combat system is great. the look is...very mid 2000's comic booky but has charm. I know that this is based on a comic book but I'm not familiar with the source material. The game however gives you a pretty good catchup on where things are at.

Gully, the daughter of a hero, has inherited his magic gauntlets. She's learning to use them properly both to protect herself and her friends, because there are people in the world who want that power for themselves. Pretty simple. She's got some interesting companions, like Garrison the tough swordsman who knew Gully's dad, as well as Callibretto the mechanized War Golem. The fact this is all based on previous material means the game doesn't spend a lot of time on how and why they know each other, but the writing gives them a good sense of camaraderie.

The combat is pretty standard Turn Based. Attacks have speed values that affect when they will occur. Main basic attacks are almost all instant/same turn, while some of the bigger hits might take a turn or two to happen. So you've gotta plan ahead, especially with heals because you might get a delayed heal from a skill or maybe you should go for an instant item heal. There's also the overcharge system, so even if you're out of Mana for skills, you can use your basics to build Overcharge which acts as more mana, and some character skills like Garrison's Warblade can burn that Overcharge to do more damage.

I love the character combat archetypes so far because they're a bit different. Gully is a young girl but she has the highest HP and a bunch of defensive moves. Her gauntlets give her high defensive capabilities so she's actually your tank. 'Bretto is a big robot but he's primarily a healer type, with numerous over-time and instant heal skills. Garrison is your more standard Damage Dealer, with many ways to cause Bleed, increase his and the party's speed, or hit multiple enemies at once.

Visually, the game looks great. In combat the animations are fantastic and the hits are meaty looking. Getting gut punched by a giant war golem looks as impressive as it should. I like the character designs mostly.

Gameplay flow is a mix of a number of different types. There's the world map which is a bunch of nodes connect by lines from place to place, with random battles on some of the nodes. There's also crafting material drops on the map, and some shrines that give temp buffs. All very functional.
Next is Exploration Areas, which are enclosed areas which are mostly just for doing puzzles or talking to people and finding loot. Generally safe from combat in these. Then there's the dungeons, and when you go to enter one you can choose the difficulty. Normal, Heroic, or Legendary, which have varied levels of completion rewards. The dungeons are laid out in room by room grids, so clear a room, grab its look, kill its enemies, move on to the next room. There's enemy spawns and you can see them on the screen before encountering them. This also ties into each character's Dungeon Skill, which have limited charges per Dungeon but can affect how you proceed. Bretto has a party heal he can use 6 times, Gully can ground pound and stun any nearby enemies, which will carry over into battle, and Garrison can dash through traps and any enemy he dashes into lets him start combat with Haste active.

All in all, I'm really impressed and I think turn based fans should give this a shot.
Glad your enjoying it KujoJosuke!
Cheers!

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
One of my favorite RPGs on the Switch and I love the hand-drawn art style. The battle system is also fantastic. The game was just the right length for me too and I feel great rolling credits.

My only issue is that without a mechanism to share xp with characters not in your party, I had to abandon everyone except for my main squad. I would've loved to rotate characters more, but they were too week.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite RPGs in decades. It was everything I love about the genre, great graphics, amazing animations, super sweet battle system, great challenge. I just wanted more. I can't wait to see what they do with the LoL RPG, but I really, really, really want Battlechasers 2.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Had a lot of fun with the game in the first 3-5 hours but the battle system got tiring too fast. It wasn't going anywhere storywise on top of that.

I wanted to like this game so much, but no luck.

Oct 27, 2017
Hijacking this thread, several reviews I read talk about the grinding, is this an issue that has been fixed ? Or are there mods ?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hijacking this thread, several reviews I read talk about the grinding, is this an issue that has been fixed ? Or are there mods ?

I don't think the game requires a lot of grinding to progress. There is grinding to take on the higher difficulty dungeons, but I think that's kind of the point of those.
The game rewards smart play and skill usage. No grinding necessary if you just want to run through the default dungeons.