• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking for things to watch a few days ago and came across Blade Runner 2049. I didn't know much about it other than it was a sequel and decided to watch the original Blade Runner first. I absolutely loved the world it created and couldn't wait to revisit it as I watched the sequel…

… and holy shit. I just… days later this movie has still stuck with me. I cannot fucking believe how good it was. The cinematography, the insanely talented cast, the fact that it draws from the first film without ever leaning on it, all of it was sublime.

I got a lump in my throat for a while after watching this scene. This is genuinely some of the best acting I've ever seen in my life.

Speaking of the music, dear LORD the soundtrack is something else. The fight in the rain at the end with this track booming in the background was incredible.

I was sad to hear that it didn't do well at the box office, but a part of me is kind of glad that there may never be another movie in the series. Both together are so perfectly interlinked with each other that I don't see the need for a third film.

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of the few sequels that takes itself in a completely different direction than its predecessor (both in story and style/looks) and nails every facet just as well as the original.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a crime that both this film and Fury Road didn't do better in the box office. Both absolute masterpieces and deserved much better.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite film of that year. It's earned its place in the hallowed halls of film sequels joining
Aliens and Terminator 2

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
First, shame on you for taking so long.

Second, welcome to the party. The best film of this decade. The ending has the best transition I've seen in a while:

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You should have seen it in the theater... the booming sound and the gorgeous visuals blew me away. I've watched it too many times to count. I think it dethroned The Terminator as my favorite movie of all time.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Beast of a movie. I preordered the 4k Blu-ray when it came out. I remember sitting in the movies, never knowing what the movie was about or anything. I feel in love. I remember fondly how my friend beside me was sleeping through it. The movie is not for everyone, but god damn it needed an oscar.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
When I heard they were making a Blade Runner sequel I was almost angry - I was envisioning another Prometheus-type exercise in bullshit just to cash in, something that couldn't possibly be anywhere near as great as the original.

Imagine my shock and delight to find not only is it a worthy sequel, it's honestly 10x better than the original. It's just a beautiful, amazing, perfect film.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Both together are so perfectly interlinked with each other that I don't see the need for a third film.

giphy.gif

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You should have seen it in the theater... the booming sound and the gorgeous visuals blew me away. I've watched it too many times to count. I think it dethroned The Terminator as my favorite movie of all time.

Yep.

I saw it three times in the theatres and at least one in a Dolby Theater. Let me tell you, the first time I saw the film I was literally on the edge of my seat during the ending fight. There are very few films where I've had such a reaction.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm happy I went to see it in theaters.

It's perfect. Also the soundtrack. Holy mother of god. It's amazing!

I cant believe I thought it was going to be lame with the guy from Drive being the lead. (Sorry cant remember his name atm) But he did a fantastic job. I felt sorry for his character in the film. I'm glad that you know who doesn't get killed. He ended up getting a happy ending.

My cousin hasn't watched these 2 films. It's going to be awesome showing him these 2 movies back to back. (I dont think he has watched the beet scifi stuff so its gonna be nice to show him the best of the best incl matrix and t2)

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It'll go down as one of the best movies of the 21st century.

I personally love it because it feels like Introvert: The Movie. I've honestly put it on when I've been feeling down just to bask in its ambiance, and it's been a balm every time.

Last edited:

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy I went to see it in theaters.

It's perfect. Also the soundtrack. Holy mother of god. It's amazing!

I cant believe I thought it was going to be lame with the guy from Drive being the lead. (Sorry cant remember his name atm) But he did a fantastic job. I felt sorry for his character in the film. I'm glad that you know who doesn't get killed. He ended up getting a happy ending.

My cousin hasn't watched these 2 films. It's going to be awesome showing him these 2 movies back to back. (I dont think he has watched the beet scifi stuff so its gonna be nice to show him the best of the best incl matrix and t2)
Calling Ryan Gosling "that guy from drive" lmao. Only on Era.

(I'm just messing with you, but seriously, he's like top10 movie stars working today, both in terms of quality of work and celebrity).

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep.

I saw it three times in the theatres and at least one in a Dolby Theater. Let me tell you, the first time I saw the film I was literally on the edge of my seat during the ending fight. There are very few films where I've had such a reaction.

That fight was too good in the theater. The crashing waves and that beautiful booming soundtrack... so good. I regret only seeing the movie twice in the theater.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Calling Ryan Gosling "that guy from drive" lmao. Only on Era.

(I'm just messing with you, but seriously, he's like top10 movie stars working today, both in terms of quality of work and celebrity).

That guy from Drive has a ridiculous track record for being in good movies that underperform. It's baffling.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
This was in my top 3 theater experiences of all time. And it may be #1. Hard to decide. I dearly love this film.

It works well on rewatch, esp if you have a good home sound system

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best experiences I had with cinema in the past few years. I'm glad they didn't cut stuff despite being one of the reasons for it's comercial failure.
Eagerly waiting for the next Villeneuve(dune) and I really wanted him to be the director of the new Matrix but it's not happening.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a deviant opinion, I found a lot to love about this movie but the moment it starts to pander to the first film it got awkward and unnecessary. And I even thought Ford's reveal scene was really good, but everything involving him past that was not great. Everything started reminding me how much better the first movie was at what it was trying for. Absolutely loved the concept of Gosling's character though.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a deviant opinion, I found a lot to love about this movie but the moment it starts to pander to the first film it got awkward and unnecessary. And I even thought Ford's reveal scene was really good, but everything involving him past that was not great. Everything started reminding me how much better the first movie was at what it was trying for. Absolutely loved the concept of Gosling's character though.
Despite loving the movie I can relate to you critic.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hans Zimmer's OST was a bit of a let down compared to Vangelis', but man... god damn. God damn is Sea Wall so good.

That track and that scene in general is the most cathartic scene in this franchise period.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I do feel that just about everything I've watched after BR 2049 was kind of stupid in comparison.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this in the theater twice it was so good. One of the most moving movies I've ever seen. This is easily in my top 5 sci-fi movies of all time, if not top 5 favorite overall movies of all time. I cannot wait for Dune next year!!! My hype is through the roof.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
My only regret is not seeing this film in theaters a fourth time. Holy shit was this movie amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a crime that both this film and Fury Road didn't do better in the box office. Both absolute masterpieces and deserved much better.
Yeah it's so weird that both of these films were even made let alone how good they both turned out to be.

It goes to show that huge risks can pay off, artistically at least.

I always felt this way about the original Matrix: like what an absolute risk that script would have been and how spectacularly it paid off. Also I had zero expectations for any of these films; I literally knew nothing about the Matrix or Fury Road when I went to see them and I felt BR'49 was very unlikely to be any good at all. Happy surprises to say the least.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I watched it a few months ago. It is easily one of the best films I have ever seen. The soundtrack is on a whole different level.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who thought this was going to be anything less than great before it came out didn't know Denis. Not only does he have a perfect track record, he's also a huge fan. It's why i have absolute faith in Dune being at the very least very good, if not great.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone comes over and says "you have an OLED and an atmos system, blow me away", BR2049 it is...

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep, it was a masterpiece. Amazing in the cinema, had me gripped the whole way through and upended my expectations in the best ways. Cinematography and visual effects were fucking top notch, and the music as well. Maybe not as iconic as the Vangelis soundtrack but that was an impossible task, but it works so well for the film anyway.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad you liked it OP, though it might be too early to say I think it's one of my favourite movies ever. Went and saw it multiple time in the theatre. The only think I'd hold against it is Jared Leto's character, he doesn't really do it for me. Anyway, I would suggest you to watch this video:

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Watched this shit on IMAX, totally mind blowing!!

This gets me really excited about the Dune Movie by Denis Villeneuve

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame it wasn't made when Bowie was alive, he was the first choice for Wallace. Jared Leto was fine though.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
The entire ending water scene is my fav ending to film like ever. Watching it in theatre was overwhelming.