• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah this was made for cinema. I usually hate loud films, but this one totally justified its loudness. Holy shit it was awesome

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it in IMAX twice and was easily the best theatre experience I've ever had. I was grinning ear to ear the entire movie.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Calling Ryan Gosling "that guy from drive" lmao. Only on Era.

lol, to me he's that guy from Breaker High (the Cruise Ship High School show!)
tumblr_mjso39V61g1rcoly3o1_250.gif

Anyways yeah, BR2049 is brilliant, layered, and incredibly well done. I can't believe they followed up on the original so damn well.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
The first Blade Runner I didn't like much. This one was really awesome, which was surprising after the ridiculous Arrival and mediocre Sicario from the director. I'm cautiously hopeful for Dune.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see Blade Runner in full until a few weeks before the sequel. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.
But BR2049 is phenomenal. Even Jared goddamn Leto, that's right.

This film gave me the tingles just like every time I watch Gravity, but for different reasons.

It's due for a rewatch. The 4K disc is reference quality, too.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite movie of all time.

Loved seeing it in the theater.

And yeah, Dune is the most excited I've been for a film, but both because of Denis and the source material.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Dude... it shouldn't have taken this long. But welcome to the club. It's so god damn good. The procedural pace, the music, the sets, the atmosphere, Roger Deakins cinematography. Seriously one of the finest sci fi films in a long time. In my top 10 all time, any genre.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
I have nothing but sincere regret that I never got around to watching this at the theater. I have a nice AV setup at home so the experience was still absolutely amazing. As others have said, this movie has to be watched LOUD.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
You and everyone that didn't see this in theaters really missed out. I saw it in IMAX, Dolby Cinema and a normal screen. Was fucking incredible. Even though it's long it was so worth the time. I've since watched it at home on Blu Ray 2 more times.

This is probably my favorite movie ever and it's really enhanced by how it subtly connects to the original but still has so much going for it on its own. I genuinely like it a lot more than the first but the first provides more context that enhances the entire world. I wish we could get a sequel as good as this was.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you liked it OP, though it might be too early to say I think it's one of my favourite movies ever. Went and saw it multiple time in the theatre. The only think I'd hold against it is Jared Leto's character, he doesn't really do it for me. Anyway, I would suggest you to watch this video:

Reminder leto was gonna be played by bowie

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I saw this in the theater and when it was over, there were people at the exits asking people to fill out surveys. Most people enthusiastically did, but there weren't really a lot of us there :(

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I legit was run over by a drunk driver and in a coma for a month while on the way to see this movie so it will always hold a special place in my heart lol. but besides that it was a really good flick.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
So good. Stunning looking, amazing acting. I hate the original (anathema, I know) but I love 2049 and it quickly became one of my favorite movies.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

I saw it three times in the theatres and at least one in a Dolby Theater. Let me tell you, the first time I saw the film I was literally on the edge of my seat during the ending fight. There are very few films where I've had such a reaction.

That whole sequence, from when he goes after them in the spinner, to the fight in the sea, I just love it (and I rarely enjoy fight scenes). Hell, I practically went to see it again just for that scene.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You know, when I watched this in theatres I didn't really like it. It was visually incredible but such a slow burn. It also didn't help that the trailer sold a different movie than this ended up being - I went in expecting something else than what I got.

However, the movie was super intruiging and I couldn't stop thinking about it. So I went to the theatres again. This time, having seen it before, I enjoyed it WAY more. I enjoyed it so much that I also ordered the limited edition artbook. And the steelbook BluRay is the first Bluray I bought in YEARS. I just wanted to support this movie as much as I could.

Like I said, the movie is visually incredible. Almost every shot is a masterpiece. The cast is straight up aces with incredible performances from Gossling and Ford. Zimmer's soundtrack is mindblowing.

The story is okay. I enjoyed the twist with K and the kid, but I really dislike the "rebellion" angle.

It's super unfortunate that this movie did so poorly at the box office, I'd love to see Villeneuve take another swing at this.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
movie will probably only get better with time
probably in my top 5 movies of all time, don't think we'll ever get to see something like this ever again, an R rated 3 hour sci fi film make for adults. then again we are getting dune next year.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I have not seen this one yet, what do you people think hurt this movies success at the box office?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
The only thing I didn't liked that much in the newer BR movie compared to previous one was the fact that the bad guys didn't had the same depth as the "bad guys" did in the first movie.. and I still like the atmosphere and world-building in the 82' movie better but BR2049 is still a great movie

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I have not seen this one yet, what do you people think hurt this movies success at the box office?

It's slow, methodical, philosophical sci fi without any major pop culture hook.

That's why it's nearly perfect, and I'm glad it was made. I'm glad I saw it twice in Dolby Cinema. I will always remember that experience.

You can't 'undo' this move out of existence. And now Denis gets to make Dune.

1511028858717.gif

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Only issue I have with the movie is the kind of tacked on feeling Resistance group at the end. You can tell that was some sequel bait that they'll never get to and it feels out of place with everything else. Amazing movie otherwise and it solidified Villeneuve as one of my favorite directors nowadays.

I am also really disappointed it didn't do too well but, on the bright side, it really doesn't need a sequel and we're getting a Denis Villeneuve Dune movie because he was freed up (hopefully people actually show up for that one).

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't really like this movie at all when I saw it in theaters. Too long, deadly slow pacing, ending reveal wasn't that great. Story disappointed me.

When K was walking through Deckard's spot for the first time I remember someone behind me in the audience yelling: "borrrriinnngggg." lol

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
One of the best sequels of all time, up there with Godfather II and Empire Strikes Back. Manages to be faithful to the original without repeating it, it's a truly great achievement.

When Tears In Rain started playing at the end...just perfect. One of the few movies of recent years that has actually stirred my soul. It's a crime against humanity that this movie bombed, but perhaps it could never have succeeded. Movies like this just aren't meant for the masses.

There will probably never be another BR film but I'm OK with that, chances are it could never live up to the first two anyway.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It is one of the best sequels ever made. Even after such a long time it feels like a natural extension of the story. Without being a simple rehash or cash grab. It's a film I hold very dear to my heart and it's even more remarkable that it actually got made.
I'd like to link my Letterboxd review of the film right here: https://letterboxd.com/eightythird/film/blade-runner-2049/
But even without this let me tell you that this is something that has moved me way more than I ever thought it would. I hated Blade Runner the first time I saw it. It's a film I've grown to love over many years. And I always thought it was perfect. A single motion picture that wouldn't need any sort of sequel or prequel. And I really hated the idea that a film studio would try to cash in on the cult following the film has gathered over all those years. But oh boy, I was so wrong. Dennis Villeneuve has elevated this to a godlike level. I know this sounds hyperbole but 2049 cemented Villeneuve as my favorite director of all time. He achieved something I thought would be impossible. Take an IP that's over 30 years old and evolve it so it feels natural. The world we see in 2049 feels like a natural expansion of the one we've seen in the original. You can see a world that has evolved from the 2019 portrayed in Blade Runner. That's something most modern sequels didn't manage to replicate. Most of them just seem to replicate the original. But look at our own world, how much has happened in 30 years, how much the world has changed. You can still see the roots and where it all came from. Still, it's a very different world. And that's what 2049 captures more than any other film. The natural evolution of a world over the course of three decades.

It really bis one of my favorite films. Maybe even my favorite film. And not without reason.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
The film is worthy of the original. That's an accomplishment on its own. I just wish a certain character hadn't died, then it might have eclipsed the original.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, probably gonna have to rewatch the film for the millionth time today thanks to this thread.