• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are? I figured each season was one book...
Nope. Some events are different in the show than the books, some characters are around that in the books weren't for various reasons (or are brand new), and there's some stuff created just for the show, but they have more or less been taking one book for the big overall A story of the season and then using 1 or 2 others for subplots.

I believe this is what has been used so far:

Season 1 - City of Bones, Echo Park, and The Concrete Blonde

Season 2 - Trunk Music, The Drop, and The Last Coyote

Season 3 - The Black Echo and A Darkness More Than Night

Season 4 - Angels Flight and Nine Dragons*

I might be missing some, not sure.

*This one might be continuing to be used in Season 5 based on where they left it in S4.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Nope. Some events are different in the show than the books, some characters are around that in the books weren't for various reasons (or are brand new), and there's some stuff created just for the show, but they have more or less been taking one book for the big overall A story of the season and then using 1 or 2 others for subplots.

I believe this is what has been used so far:

Season 1 - City of Bones, Echo Park, and The Concrete Blonde

Season 2 - Trunk Music, The Drop, and The Last Coyote

Season 3 - The Black Echo and A Darkness More Than Night

Season 4 - Angels Flight and Nine Dragons*

I might be missing some, not sure.

*This one might be continuing to be used in Season 5 based on where they left it in S4.

Thanks for the breakdown!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Just powered through season 1 over a couple of nights. This show is damn good. It's scratching that 'The Wire' itch in that it focuses on realistic police work and the political fuckery that goes on around it although it's a very different show to that one. Lance Reddick appears to be playing the exact same character here. Cool to see Jamie Hector on the other side of the law this time, though.

People on here saying season 1 is weak compared to the rest has me excited since I loved what I just saw.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Connelly wrote the Lincoln Lawyer and that story is part of the same universe as Bosch. Gave the movie a watch the other night, was very strange. Almost like it was an hour and a half episode of a TV show rather than a standalone flick.

Wonder if the character will show up in a future season of Bosch

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed season 2. Episode 5 was a real gut punch. Lance Reddick is so good at this kind of role.

I started season 3 on Sunday and I'm very confused. It feels like I've missed something between seasons 2 & 3.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
What? I thought that would play automatically! Even if you go into it through Apple TV you need to dig for it?

It's not even available in UHD on my Prime Video app on the One S. Ive looked everywhere for it, despite the internet telling me that its there. My theory is that you have to be on a wired connection.

Oct 28, 2017
What? I thought that would play automatically! Even if you go into it through Apple TV you need to dig for it?
wouldn't know about apple tv as I use the app on my tv. If you look under tv shows on a 4k capable app there should be a section under 'tv' listing some of their 4k stuff. Failing that if you google for the show you want and include something like 'ultra' in the search you can find stuff that way and add it to your list.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw like 5 episodes and this was just a run of the mill procedural? Something change in the second season?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even available in UHD on my Prime Video app on the One S. Ive looked everywhere for it, despite the internet telling me that its there. My theory is that you have to be on a wired connection.

finally found the 4k section in the prime xbox app. buried on the home screen under 'tv genres'. fuck.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
After binging through seasons 1-3 right after 3 came out I finally remembered to check for a new season the other day and just finished season 4 and really enjoyed it.

I love how each season is a slow burn with one major case taking the whole season. It feels much more realistic than the Law & Order type of procedurals.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I met the star of the show in Grand Central yesterday morning. I just got off a train and saw him standing there waiting for his track number to be assigned. He looked done! Tired as fuck, lol. He was wearing a backpack, and nobody noticed him at all. I walked up and asked if he was Titus Welliver and he said "Yes" and shook my hand. Told him I was a big fan and then said I didn't want to bother him or make others take notice, which I think he appreciated. Nice guy.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Just binge watched the final 5 episodes of season 3. That was some real good shit. I was confused about the Director murder for the first half of the season but once it all started coming together it was really gripping tv. I also liked the idea of the season consisting of 3 separate concurrently running investigations instead of the one-case focus of season 1 & 2. Yes, I realize season 2 initially had two major cases but they came together eventually. Here they were all unconnected and gave the side characters more to do. Can't have enough Troy Evans on the show. Although saying that, the KTK case seemed kinda pointless, just showing up every few episodes for a single scene or two. I hope it will be touched upon more heavily next season and that wasn't the end of it.

Paul CalderĂłn was a fantastic addition to the cast this season. Probably the highlight for me. He is one suave motherfucker and has serious screen charisma. Jamie Hector also came into his own this season. Playing a much more central role and not just someone for Bosch to play off which he kinda was in the previous seasons.

So far for me it's probably S2>S3>S1, though all have been fantastic and it's a very close toss-up for my favourite between 2 and 3.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Just binge watched the final 5 episodes of season 3. That was some real good shit. I was confused about the Director murder for the first half of the season but once it all started coming together it was really gripping tv. I also liked the idea of the season consisting of 3 separate concurrently running investigations instead of the one-case focus of season 1 & 2. Yes, I realize season 2 initially had two major cases but they came together eventually. Here they were all unconnected and gave the side characters more to do. Can't have enough Troy Evans on the show. Although saying that, the KTK case seemed kinda pointless, just showing up every few episodes for a single scene or two. I hope it will be touched upon more heavily next season and that wasn't the end of it.

Paul CalderĂłn was a fantastic addition to the cast this season. Probably the highlight for me. He is one suave motherfucker and has serious screen charisma. Jamie Hector also came into his own this season. Playing a much more central role and not just someone for Bosch to play off which he kinda was in the previous seasons.

So far for me it's probably S2>S3>S1, though all have been fantastic and it's a very close toss-up for my favourite between 2 and 3.
I feel like an idiot watching Season 3. Even Wire was less confusing. Now that I'm on episode 7, it's getting better, but I do think it was a mistake to have 3 stories with one of them starting in the middle.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Finished season 4 today. That was so good. An improvement on season 3 if you ask me. It was certainly easier to follow at the very least.

The mid-season "development" was bloody heart-breaking. Completely changed the tone of the show and changed Bosch himself as well. I'm glad the mother storyline was finally solved (even though it barely featured this season).

I have no idea what's going on with Reggie's storyline, I hope that is continued into season 5. Thats a slow-burn mystery thats been in the background for 3+ seasons, they cant just drop it like that, surely?

Although saying that, I loved how they handled the KTK subplot. It reminded me a lot of a certain character's fate in season 5 of The Wire(not wanting to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it). You're expecting it to culminate in a big dramatic scene or shootout and then it just ends out of the blue lol. And off screen at that! Loved it. Shit just happens I guess, as it does in real life.

That scene with Irving pulling up next to the mayor and rolling up the window was amazing. He played him good.

Some of the cinematography and music choices this season were on fucking point. The whole thing looks and sounds so damn good. I'm always impressed with night-time scenes that actually look like night-time, ie: Maddie in the desert. So few movies or shows do that right.

Fuck, how is this show not more popular? It's one of the best shows airing right now (certainly the best cop show) and almost nobody watches it. Such a shame.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I normally don't watch police drama's (Especially American ones) or typical "binge TV", but this is a brilliant series. I recommend it to everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Although saying that, I loved how they handled the KTK subplot. It reminded me a lot of a certain character's fate in season 5 of The Wire(not wanting to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it). You're expecting it to culminate in a big dramatic scene or shootout and then it just ends out of the blue lol. And off screen at that! Loved it. Shit just happens I guess, as it does in real life.

I felt the complete opposite. The KTK plot was left simmering for so long, with some brief glimpses into his life, and in the end all it seemed to be was a convoluted way to get Irving to stay on. It felt like they didn't know what to do with him and decided to tidy it up as quickly as possible. To those that have read the books, is this how KTK played out in them?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The first season didn't hook me and I bailed after the first few episodes, but I recently wound up watching through s3 and 4 with my dad. It's pretty damn solid.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I love this show too, and I also started watching it a month ago (I'm in season 3 now). I had read a few of the Bosch books but was kind of meh on the series when it premiered a few years ago so I only ended up watching a couple of episodes and then I didn't have Amazon Video until just recently so I gave it another shot. I also agree with the popular sentiment that the first season is solid but the show takes a noticeable jump in quality in most ways starting in the second season. The police department and city hall political plots of the show are actually probably my favourite parts.

I love the fact they spent some money on location shooting - the show looks amazing in every episode, even the first season seems to have phenomenal HDR and picture quality (I believe it's streamed in 4K but thanks to Apple TV's refusal to show media details I don't know if it was actually shot/ in 4K). I also love how they know Bosch's insanely great house is the show's secret star and they have a least a couple shots of LA through his living room window. Just gorgeous.

As a casual reader of the books I think they did a great job with the changes they made. The updated characters make a lot of sense and they were smart to cut up plotlines from various books to stitch together the seasons. I noticed in I believe the first episode that the cover to "The Black Echo" as a poster on his wall and assumed it was just a winking nod to fans, but then they have Bosch explain that it was a movie made about his early case and that was how he bought that house on a cops salary (which was the Dollmaker case in the books I think) which was another clever little change. Also, his ability to buy that house is a good running gag, highlighted by Maddie asking him if he's on the take ("ugh not my own daughter") when she visits him for the first time.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
The new season is, six episodes in, the best yet.

It's fantastic how all the secondary and tertiary characters from seasons past get to have such awesome side plots that still touch on the main investigations now and then.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Finished S5

FANTASTIC ONCE AGAIN.

Proofs that its amazon´s best show still and so so so so underrated.
Still as smart still as beautiful and still slow as detective show were it counts.

Love the fact that they still show how "real detectives work" and it takes time and involvs talking to people and doing research on your case etc.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm always like "okay whatever, i'll watch it" when a new season pops up but season 5 a few episodes in has its hooks in me. this one's shaping up to be pretty good

also... holy crap we're on season 5 already. feels like the series premiered a few years ago but maybe i got in on the first few seasons late, i don't remember

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
So glad season 6 has been confirmed. So disappointed that there is no hype for this show

aside from the odd breakthrough like Stranger Things or something most streaming shows quietly come and go at this point regardless of viewership, which i suppose is already baked in so a new season doesn't get a lot of "fanfare"

as for Bosch it's probably amazon's biggest show or way up there, i'd imagine

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Whole 5th season is up on the Irish Prime Video but it's says unavailable when you go into it. Da fuck?

Screenshot-20190422-231859.png

Is it like this in other non-US countries? I was really looking forward to starting this tonight as well!