• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
header.jpg

It has been a long time since i've played a traditional JRPG type game.

I bought this in a PSN sale around mid-2017 but decided to pull the trigger today and start it.
I'm about 1 hour into the game.

Zeboyd games should be proud of what they have created. Its a very charming old-school JRPG with engaging combat in a futuristic backdrop. The atmosphere is amazing and the music compliments it.

I JUST beat
the monster in that underground lab, and from the little cutscene afterwards Im guessing im going to have to beat it again once it 'evolves' with the mechanical creature

2fbab14b87cbd40797d1a03deea5251fbc8d1b81_hq.gif

I hope a lot of you which got an opportunity to get a free key via the RPG Voting thread at the other site are enjoying this as much as I am.

Hope Robert @ Zeboyd Games ends up joining this community too.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this game a lot. Some of the music, especially the main battle theme was great. You could tell some of the s tuff in the game seemed a little rushed or needed more fleshing out, but it was a great attempt at the Chrono Trigger-ish JRPG formula. Looking forward to what Zeboyd can come up with next.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got the game and played a few hours on the PS4. Just been distracted with other games and stuff atm. Really well done game and a nice love note to JRPG's from the 16-bit console era. Solid writing too.

I'm glad games like this continue to exist.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games this year. Was really into posting in the thread for it over at GAF. Don't think we've had a Scifi+espionage JRPG yet and I those are probably my two favorite genres.

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, I confused this with Sigma Star Saga for the GBA, which I never played but always wanted to. What a random memory.

SigmaStarSaga_GBABOX.jpg

This game looks legit though. Might have to check it out if the backlog ever dies down.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks very cool, I will try and find time to play it at some point :3

Spwni

Oct 27, 2017
Backed the game on KS and played through it on PS4 earlier this year. It's a cool experience, but a very straightforward one with not much to do beyond the main questline. I enjoyed the depth of the battle system - I dare say I've rarely had so much fun with jrpg battles.

I just wished the world was a bit more dynamic and that there were a bit more towns to explore. This was naturally due to resource restrictions, but I felt the structure of the game is a bit one-note and it could've benefitted from areas to explore that wouldn't have played part in the actual story, but would've fleshed out the world a bit. Still a great game at what it's striving for.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered that I platinum'd this game (and I haven't cared about trophies for years until this game came out)

d0UVogw.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
A really fantastic game with beautiful sprite work, great music, and a fun battle system. Not sure what more could be asked of Zeboyd.

Speaking of the Zeboyd folks, I hope they migrated over. They were really active over on the last site (at least in the old OT) and it'd be good to hear from them.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I've been interested in it since I first saw it and recently got a key from that RPG voting thread but I have too much on my plate right now.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really well designed game with great combat. The devs also respect the players's time and have not made the game grindy (which I love). Story could have been better, but it's still a wonderful game.

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Alright, almost played 4.5 hours of it. Just took over
API Directors ship
Still enjoying the game :)

How far into it am I?

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a fun 15-20 hour ride earlier this year. Did a lot of things right despite the buggy launch.

I'd buy a sequel or another game from them that looked interesting.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't sing enough praise for Cosmic Star Heroine. This is a game which did everything right IMHO. Rarely does a game such as this truly capture the magic I felt growing up with 16 bit RPGs. This game did that, and was oozing with so much personality the entire time.

Rats off to ya, Zeboyd games!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How far into it am I?

I'd guess about 40% in. Maybe a little less if you do all the side areas.

Has there been any news on the potential physical release of this?

It'll be soon after the Vita release. Speaking of which, the Vita release is what I'm spending most of my work time doing these days.

For those who haven't heard, our next RPG is going to be called Rx Machina. Premise is you work at a hospital in a city that's an interdimensional hub and you use miniaturized mechs to heal people who have been infected with sentient virus armies. Will have a Persona-style sim element. Combat will be similarly mechanically to Cosmic Star Heroine with a few changes. 1st person perspective in combat so we have more time to focus on other stuff (like story/dialogue).

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
werezompire
Maybe pm the mod/admin team to see if you're able to create a thread for Rx machina, not sure if reset era has the same rules about "self promotion" even though it's a video game..

It could be just a production update thread or something.

Otherwise if you're not allowed I'm more than to create one on your behalf

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only played a few hours but really enjoyed it.

Is a Vita port still happening? That's main reason I haven't picked it up again, really want to play it portable.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
Oooooooh! I SOOOO heard about this! This looks fantastic. They're a bit on the nose about it, but I love a game with a well fleshed out female protagonist.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to try the game out! I was lucky to receive a free copy from the gaf best rpgs thread but haven't had time to play it yet.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

It'll be soon after the Vita release. Speaking of which, the Vita release is what I'm spending most of my work time doing these days.

For those who haven't heard, our next RPG is going to be called Rx Machina. Premise is you work at a hospital in a city that's an interdimensional hub and you use miniaturized mechs to heal people who have been infected with sentient virus armies. Will have a Persona-style sim element. Combat will be similarly mechanically to Cosmic Star Heroine with a few changes. 1st person perspective in combat so we have more time to focus on other stuff (like story/dialogue).

Uhh yeah I haven't heard! Sounds great! Can you talk about the visuals yet?

I bought Cosmic just about day 1 but I haven't played it yet. It's near the top of the backlog though! Releases are about to quiet down so I'll play soon...

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Excellent game, I love how the combat system let you exploit it. (I one shotted the last few bosses). Excellent soundtrack, fun platinum I thoroughly enjoyed it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I kickstarted this game, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Looks dope. I know what game I am playing next!

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.

Glad to see you made it here, Robert! Your next game sounds like it's going to be awesome. 1st person perspective sounds like it'll be like a dungeon crawler (I love dungeon crawlers). I'm eager to hear more about it soon!

In regards to combat mechanics in CSH, it was one of my favourite things ever since it actually trains you to use ALL abilities and they all has their uses, although the large number of potential party members compared with the length of the story was kind of a detriment to the whole thing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In regards to combat mechanics in CSH, it was one of my favourite things ever since it actually trains you to use ALL abilities and they all has their uses, although the large number of potential party members compared with the length of the story was kind of a detriment to the whole thing.

Yeah, with the next game, we're planning on just having a set 4 person party (although one of the slots will be 1 of 3 characters depending on your choices) so that we can do a more thorough job with making each character feel distinct & thought out.

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Glad to see you made it here, Robert! Your next game sounds like it's going to be awesome. 1st person perspective sounds like it'll be like a dungeon crawler (I love dungeon crawlers). I'm eager to hear more about it soon!

Yeh I've never been a fan of switching party members (unless it's something like pokemon), so I'm inclined to agree.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I remember CSH was supposed to receive a content update with some new quests after release. Is that still coming?

Yeah, that's still in the works. Adds 2 new quests (2 new dungeons). They're half done right now so it'll only take a few days to add them, but I want to get this Vita version done ASAP.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's still in the works. Adds 2 new quests (2 new dungeons). They're half done right now so it'll only take a few days to add them, but I want to get this Vita version done ASAP.
Thanks for your continuing work on the Vita version. I redeemed my copy during release but have been waiting patiently for the port to enjoy it. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Yeah, with the next game, we're planning on just having a set 4 person party (although one of the slots will be 1 of 3 characters depending on your choices) so that we can do a more thorough job with making each character feel distinct & thought out.

Sounds great! I think 4 person party should provide a better balance if you decide to make the game to have the same length as CSH.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Any chance this game would come out also on the vita?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Any chance this game would come out also on the vita?

There's a tiny chance, but only if it just works without me having to mess with stuff. Honestly, CSH has been so hard to try to get working perfectly on the Vita (RAM issues due to Unity inefficiency & all the uncompressed 2D art & animation we have) that I don't want to go through that again, especially now that a more than adequate replacement has arrived in the form of the Switch.