• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Great RPG from what I played. I didn't finish it. I'd like to go back to my save. The battle system mechanics were strategic, and required you to think about future actions during a battle.

I liked the concert scene, introducing Lauren. Nice song.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I was really enjoying it but I lost like 4 hours of progress because of a game glitch. I haven't played it since. I'll try to get back to it though.

Very charming and well designed albeit buggy game.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with this game. The writing was spectacular and the battle system was a lot of fun. I rarely go back to try to 100% anything but I did with this one.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Trying to platinum the game on Super Spy difficulty and it's a fun challenge. I really think some battles on the first dungeon (jungle) could be weakened though. The fight against three security robots is especially brutal.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, with the next game, we're planning on just having a set 4 person party (although one of the slots will be 1 of 3 characters depending on your choices) so that we can do a more thorough job with making each character feel distinct & thought out.
Solid thinking. I always liked the Grandia games approach to this where they rotate the characters in and out of the party so everybody has a reason for being there at that point in the game narrative.

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
I keep wanting to start this game, but other stuff keeps getting in the way.

Plus I'm still kinda holding on for a portable version. At my age/having kids/working 24 hour shifts....I pretty much can't pkay long RPGs unless they're portable.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game, was so fun and charming! OST to battle system, characters to art... I like everything! So strong nostalgic feelings man... I hope we can see more game like this.

At the end of the game i found new equip for Arete but there is no way to put her in party again. :/ Also i wished we can return to other places while in Abyss of Space.

Thanks to Knurek for the paint competition!

Some of my fave ost: (so amazing OST quality so long list! *-*)

https://youtu.be/zpB67MIhOu4?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa
https://youtu.be/BG7b4N9G8v0?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa
https://youtu.be/65U993V5hVY?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa
https://youtu.be/14ZTsVtbwfE?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa&t=11 (starting from best part!)
https://youtu.be/tTXizK2V44c?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa
https://youtu.be/AZvremLdb1E?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa (after 23rd second, so good!)
https://youtu.be/s9mNi9WFSbw?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa
https://youtu.be/5CKLRk8L6WI?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa
https://youtu.be/uBIeSalJMHM?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa
https://youtu.be/rn14gQb9Kpo?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa&t=2
https://youtu.be/s2uVv_JIEeM?list=PLlvXGetzr0FAMdcz1QGCJHSv-UZ-QmGLa

I was really enjoying it but I lost like 4 hours of progress because of a game glitch. I haven't played it since. I'll try to get back to it though.

Very charming and well designed albeit buggy game.

I didn't encounter any breaking bug with in 30 hours, i seen some small bugs but very very few, looks like i'm really lucky.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be soon after the Vita release. Speaking of which, the Vita release is what I'm spending most of my work time doing these days.

I bought it for PS4 when it released (foolishly didn't kickstart it I'm sorry). I will rebuy on Vita (or any other portable console) and that limited run edition as well.

Rx machina sounds interesting!

Enilced2

Oct 25, 2017
This game has spent too much time in my backlog after I got it on release I need to move it up for sure

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
There's a tiny chance, but only if it just works without me having to mess with stuff. Honestly, CSH has been so hard to try to get working perfectly on the Vita (RAM issues due to Unity inefficiency & all the uncompressed 2D art & animation we have) that I don't want to go through that again, especially now that a more than adequate replacement has arrived in the form of the Switch.

Is the Xbox One version still happening?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is the Xbox One version still happening?

It's on the back-burner at the moment. I got the game working without much trouble, but the XBO's Save & Achievement systems are way more complicated to implement than the PS4's.

Maybe pm the mod/admin team to see if you're able to create a thread for Rx machina, not sure if reset era has the same rules about "self promotion" even though it's a video game..

It could be just a production update thread or something.

Otherwise if you're not allowed I'm more than to create one on your behalf

Is there enough demand for a dedicated thread now? We're not going to be actually showing off any footage of the game until next year (ideally soon before it comes out for maximum hype) so it'd just be me talking & answers. Might be better to wait until the trailer.

Last edited:

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Just discovered this game thanks to this thread, I'll be sure to pick it up in the next couple of weeks, been a while since I played a JRPG.

Looks like the perfect kind of game for the Switch, honestly.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this when it came out but forgot about it due to a huge backlog of games I've got. Will have to try to find time to actually play it because it looks awesome.

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's on the back-burner at the moment. I got the game working without much trouble, but the XBO's Save & Achievement systems are way more complicated to implement than the PS4's.

Is there enough demand for a dedicated thread now? We're not going to be actually showing off any footage of the game until next year (ideally soon before it comes out for maximum hype) so it'd just be me talking & answers. Might be better to wait until the trailer.

Yeh might be too early now. I guess if there is enough demand for one though, this community will let you know lol

Just discovered this game thanks to this thread, I'll be sure to pick it up in the next couple of weeks, been a while since I played a JRPG.

Looks like the perfect kind of game for the Switch, honestly.
From the sounds of it, a switch version is definitely a possibility. We'll see once the Vita version is released.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the vame. Just wish it was longer. Hoping for soms more like it

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's yet another addition to the list of fantastic games that have come out this year. Glad to see some people in here being tempted enough to give it a go.

This game will probably end in my Top 5. I hadn't heard about it until about 2 weeks before it dropped on consoles. Preordered and then sat on it for months. When I finally started it I couldn't put it down.

It was pretty much the beginning of me consuming smaller titles as opposed to AAA releases.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the best JRPG to come out in 3-4 years.

I mean, I can't even think of another one I liked more than this in that time span

But I think that's a span I'm pretty comfortable making a statement with

And a cursory search leads me to... Undertale as an alternative, which was a great game, but more of its own thing within a JRPG-adjacent shell than an actual, purposeful JRPG. Bravely Default is probably the best one to mark it off at.

Oct 25, 2017
EASILY the best turn based combat i have ever experienced tbh, great game with a lot of different characters and skills to play around with

Probably the best JRPG to come out in 3-4 years.

I mean, I can't even think of another one I liked more than this in that time span

But I think that's a span I'm pretty comfortable making a statement with

And a cursory search leads me to... Undertale as an alternative, which was a great game, but more of its own thing within a JRPG-adjacent shell than an actual, purposeful JRPG. Bravely Default is probably the best one to mark it off at.

Battle Chasers was a pleasant surprise, as well. I had to park it for about a week because inlaws, but I'm a trophy away from the platinum.

Where Cosmo was amazingly well done nostalgia along the Chrono Trigger/Shadowrun lines, B.C. was more of a modern take on it. I'd be careful about recommending it based on how grind reliant it is, but it's wirth looking into.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I personally like early development interactions that are present in Bay12 or Tigsource, but I know many developers prefer to maintain absolute radio silence and open up discussion for questions & feedback only after majority of the games are finalized.

So feel free to create or ask for a dedicated thread whenever you feel it is appropriate to do so. Pretty sure one can sneak a minor thread on Hangouts somewhere!

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I started this but at a time when there was so much other stuff coming out I wanted to play. Heard nothing but fantastic things though, looking forward to getting back to it.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Battle Chasers was a pleasant surprise, as well. I had to park it for about a week because inlaws, but I'm a trophy away from the platinum.

Where Cosmo was amazingly well done nostalgia along the Chrono Trigger/Shadowrun lines, B.C. was more of a modern take on it. I'd be careful about recommending it based on how grind reliant it is, but it's wirth looking into.
That's true, I feel like a total doofus. I loved BC:NW. I got (rightfully) called out for too much spoiler tagging in the OT back at, y'know, the other place, because I worked through it so fast and didn't want to spoil the experience for anyone. But hey, finding out the game had legendary weapons and stuff like that was something I didn't want to ruin for anyone.

But, on the other hand, I do think I was actually a bit more over the moon with CSH. BC:NW has incredible art design, fantastic production values (I know the game had a rough PS4 launch, but the PC experience was butter), and a lot of really fun systems, including probably the best translation of what are generally considered MMO (or at least SRPG)-style roles into a JRPG battle system, but CSH's new and completely unique battle system really sunk its hooks into me like nothing in recent memory in the genre. If it had equivalent production values, hoo boy, that'd be a game for the ages.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a tiny chance, but only if it just works without me having to mess with stuff. Honestly, CSH has been so hard to try to get working perfectly on the Vita (RAM issues due to Unity inefficiency & all the uncompressed 2D art & animation we have) that I don't want to go through that again, especially now that a more than adequate replacement has arrived in the form of the Switch.

Speaking of the Switch, has there been any movement on that front? As far as getting it on Switch? The game looks great and I'd love to get it on a handheld that I own. Hopefully that next game can make it to Switch. The premise sounds really cool, and "persona-style sim element" really got my attention.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm here (Robert at Zeboyd)! Don't have time to talk right now, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Awesome, I'm really glad to see you over here. Got me worried that you didn't come over when I couldn't find your previous username.

I've been following this game for sometime and this game is pretty high on my to-play list. (Just need to decide on before or after Xenosaga 3.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I am in the mines currently, on heroine difficulty, stopping at the first crystal boss. Battles are more hectic now. Had to take a break.

I liked the fact that grinding is absent in this game. Aesthetic is nice too, taking influence from those Japanese scifi computer games. Ultrawidescreen support too. Only a cute mascot character is missing (except Cthulhu)

That's true, I feel like a total doofus. I loved BC:NW. I got (rightfully) called out for too much spoiler tagging in the OT back at, y'know, the other place, because I worked through it so fast and didn't want to spoil the experience for anyone. But hey, finding out the game had legendary weapons and stuff like that was something I didn't want to ruin for anyone.

But, on the other hand, I do think I was actually a bit more over the moon with CSH. BC:NW has incredible art design, fantastic production values (I know the game had a rough PS4 launch, but the PC experience was butter), and a lot of really fun systems, including probably the best translation of what are generally considered MMO (or at least SRPG)-style roles into a JRPG battle system, but CSH's new and completely unique battle system really sunk its hooks into me like nothing in recent memory in the genre. If it had equivalent production values, hoo boy, that'd be a game for the ages.

I'd have to give Cosmic the edge as well, but after several years of starving for this genre, they're both totally welcome. I'm also thrilled they're getting console love, because my laptop is a war crime. I'm shocked it still starts, and it'll be realistically another year before I can replace it.

I hope they do a separate trophy list for Vita. I'd buy it again just to support the developer. 15 bucks is a bargain. I remember paying 80 as a kid for these games on the SNES.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The dialog script has the same amateur writer's voice littered throughout it, which just sucks the life out of character development. I didn't like any of the characters here. It didn't have achievements on Steam at launch. I might play through it whenever it hits Xbox, if it's not a total bug fest. I've gone through the launch with this game throwing more crashes my way than I've ever seen on any game since the worn out NES era, and I'm just totally fucking "done" with it for now.

It's not Phantasy Star. It's not Chrono Trigger. It's not even I am Setsuna. Still, I bought 3 copies. You're welcome Robert. I hope the next game doesn't keep taking a big shit on me whenever I attempt to play it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting for the limited run version of this so I can start playing. I just have to own this game physically. Rabi Ribi was a surprisingly great game I bought physically as I got tired of waiting for Limited Run to make the version and got the Euro version.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of the Switch, has there been any movement on that front? As far as getting it on Switch? The game looks great and I'd love to get it on a handheld that I own. Hopefully that next game can make it to Switch. The premise sounds really cool, and "persona-style sim element" really got my attention.

The general message I'm getting from devs & from very brief conversations with Nintendo is that Nintendo doesn't like to approve ports but once you get approved as a developer, you can release pretty much whatever you want as long as it's not wildly inappropriate. So I think our best route would be to submit Rx Machina to them and then port CSH to Switch after that comes out.

Oh and all this talk of Battle Chasers makes me want to play it even more, but since I'm swamped with games - EO5, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 & SNES Classic coming soon, plus I want to grab DQ11 next month when it comes out in Chinese for the language practice (and 'cause I love DQ games) - so I'm waiting until the portable version comes out. And yes, I realize the irony of waiting for the portable version of Battle Chasers comes out while hoping people don't wait for the portable version of CSH and just buy the game now. :)

The dialog script has the same amateur writer's voice littered throughout it, which just sucks the life out of character development.

The dialogue is the thing I'm planning on focusing on the most with Rx Machina since it's the aspect of the game I'm least satisfied with. I have some plans in mind that should improve the quality drastically.

And yeah, the game was really buggy at launch, especially on consoles, due to us rushing to make the deadline - an incomplete version of the game went up before launch with the intention of being replaced with the finished version before launch, but we ran into issues getting PSN to accept the finished version. The PC version was somewhat buggy as well because I was literally finishing the game the week before launch.

Because of this, we're planning on doing Rx Machina a bit differently - we're going to wait until the game is basically done before officially revealing it with a cool trailer & a lanch date. That way, we'll have a few months to just focus on marketing & quality assurance, instead of rushing to finish the game a week before launch. So I'm happy to talk about our plans with it and discuss development as we work on it, but we're not going to show it off until it's ready to go.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the game as far as I played, especially the music. I got distracted by other things, but I intend to go back. I admit that I was hoping for an update to make the game feel a little less strange, like putting in sound effects for some major actions that are totally silent.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm waiting for the Vita release. Played at PSX last year on the vita with my headphones and it seemed great then. Hopefully Zeboyd can get the bigs ironed out and obtain SCEA approval.

But, yeah, a Switch version would be ideal. But they're only a two person team.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The dialogue is the thing I'm planning on focusing on the most with Rx Machina since it's the aspect of the game I'm least satisfied with. I have some plans in mind that should improve the quality drastically.

And yeah, the game was really buggy at launch, especially on consoles, due to us rushing to make the deadline - an incomplete version of the game went up before launch with the intention of being replaced with the finished version before launch, but we ran into issues getting PSN to accept the finished version. The PC version was somewhat buggy as well because I was literally finishing the game the week before launch.

Because of this, we're planning on doing Rx Machina a bit differently - we're going to wait until the game is basically done before officially revealing it with a cool trailer & a lanch date. That way, we'll have a few months to just focus on marketing & quality assurance, instead of rushing to finish the game a week before launch. So I'm happy to talk about our plans with it and discuss development as we work on it, but we're not going to show it off until it's ready to go.

rwUIHwY.gif

Oct 27, 2017
The general message I'm getting from devs & from very brief conversations with Nintendo is that Nintendo doesn't like to approve ports but once you get approved as a developer, you can release pretty much whatever you want as long as it's not wildly inappropriate. So I think our best route would be to submit Rx Machina to them and then port CSH to Switch after that comes out.

Oh and all this talk of Battle Chasers makes me want to play it even more, but since I'm swamped with games - EO5, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 & SNES Classic coming soon, plus I want to grab DQ11 next month when it comes out in Chinese for the language practice (and 'cause I love DQ games) - so I'm waiting until the portable version comes out. And yes, I realize the irony of waiting for the portable version of Battle Chasers comes out while hoping people don't wait for the portable version of CSH and just buy the game now. :)

Alright cool, hopefully both games can make it onto the platform. Out of curiosity, do you have a general idea of a timeframe when you want/plan to release Rx Machina? Not trying to rush you guys, just really curious of how it looks/plays. The games concept is fascinating.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Alright cool, hopefully both games can make it onto the platform. Out of curiosity, do you have a general idea of a timeframe when you want/plan to release Rx Machina? Not trying to rush you guys, just really curious of how it looks/plays. The games concept is fascinating.

Aiming for next year. After spending about 4 years on one game, we really want to get back into yearly releases.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Such a quietly great game, it deserves so much praise for capturing a lot of good feels from the 16-bit era, might find a way to sneak into my Top 10 for this year depending on how the next few weeks go.

Also huge props to anyone who managed to beat it on Super Spy, even on Normal difficulty that game can get tough near the end.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty good, the only game mechanic that i really didn't like was the ennemies attack damage was always increase by a little % after each time they attack... and it never seem to ever stop. Yeah i heard it was to prevent instant death at the start of a fight (could have use the boost system), but It remove any sense of more defense/healing strategy with DOT focus or a more survival team, but pure damage team is always better. This was a non problem for like first 4-5 hours, but later the weakness of this design start to show a lot.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I keep wanting to start this game, but other stuff keeps getting in the way.

Plus I'm still kinda holding on for a portable version. At my age/having kids/working 24 hour shifts....I pretty much can't pkay long RPGs unless they're portable.

Yep this is me. (minus the 24 hour shifts) It's become all but impossible to play RPGs anymore. Well i still can, but it takes me on average 6 months to a year to complete one lol :(

This game has been on my radar since forever basically but i just can NOT figure out a way to get to it!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It was pretty good, the only game mechanic that i really didn't like was the ennemies attack damage was always increase by a little % after each time they attack... and it never seem to ever stop. Yeah i heard it was to prevent instant death at the start of a fight (could have use the boost system), but It remove any sense of more defense/healing strategy with DOT focus or a more survival team, but pure damage team is always better. This was a non problem for like first 4-5 hours, but later the weakness of this design start to show a lot.

The game doesn't have an attrition system so without the escalating damage system, defensive strategies would almost be superior to all others since as long as you don't get one-shot, you'd never lose. However, with the escalating damage system, eventually you WILL get one-shot so defensive strategies can just prolong the amount of time you have to win.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
For those who haven't heard, our next RPG is going to be called Rx Machina. Premise is you work at a hospital in a city that's an interdimensional hub and you use miniaturized mechs to heal people who have been infected with sentient virus armies. Will have a Persona-style sim element. Combat will be similarly mechanically to Cosmic Star Heroine with a few changes. 1st person perspective in combat so we have more time to focus on other stuff (like story/dialogue).

Sounds amazing

I'm also really pleased you made the jump to the new forum, really enjoyed your posts and insights

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Need to get on playing this, it oozes old-school charm from what I've seen of it so far!