• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa 3 - Despair Arc covers that along with all other DR2 loose ends.... although lets just say that there is nobody out there that likes it for a multitude of reasons.

So, before you actually play V3 if you're invested into the story of DR1 and DR2 enough that you don't mind consuming some different media then you'll want to do the following:
- Read the Danganronpa Zero novel translation (it sucks, but sadly it ties into the anime)
- Watch Danganronpa 3 Future and Despair Arcs - specifically do so 1 episode at a time alternating (So Future 1, then Despair 1, then Future 2 etc.) as everything links together and the broadcast order is the best way to experience it.
- Watch Danganronpa 3 Hope Arc last of all, that is the finale
So no one likes 3's anime but it's necessary to watch it for V3? Also, how is the dub for V3?

Oh and top 3 DR2 characters:
Chiaki

Sonia
Gundham

Nagito can go straight in the trash for his chapter 5 shenanigans.
Hmmmm 🤔

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
So no one likes 3's anime but it's necessary to watch it for V3?
It's hard to say anything without spoiling V3, but it isn't necessary for that game. DR3 is the direct sequel to 1 and 2, so if you want the ending to the Hope's Peak storyline then you have to watch 3. However while V3 doesn't need DR3, there is a reason why it should be done after. You'll just have to trust us on it though.

Also, how is the dub for V3?
Generally pretty good, a couple of them are really awful but the JP voices are definitely not as strong as DR1 and 2, in part because Monokuma's long time VA (Nobuyo Oyama) retired due to dementia, so while I recommended sub for 1 and 2 I'd recommend dub for V3.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say anything without spoiling V3, but it isn't necessary for that game. DR3 is the direct sequel to 1 and 2, so if you want the ending to the Hope's Peak storyline then you have to watch 3. However while V3 doesn't need DR3, there is a reason why it should be done after. You'll just have to trust us on it though.

Generally pretty good, a couple of them are really awful but the JP voices are definitely not as strong as DR1 and 2, in part because Monokuma's long time VA (Nobuyo Oyama) retired due to dementia, so while I recommended sub for 1 and 2 I'd recommend dub for V3.
Ahhh, guess ill watch it while grinding out the extra modes. How are the eng/jp voices for the anime? Any preference there?

The anime wraps up the story from 0/1/2/Despair Girls. V3 is a stand alone affair.

Thanks for the thread, this has been an entertaining read.
Thank you, these are fun to write too

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh, guess ill watch it while grinding out the extra modes. How are the eng/jp voices for the anime? Any preference there
The anime would actually be a great chance for you to hear the original JP voices for the entire cast of DR1 and DR2 so you can see how they stack up against the dub, Monokuma's VA had changed at this point though. I've only seen a little of the dub (because honestly I refuse to ever watch DR3 again) but I'm very, very firmly in the sub camp for the anime as they got some fantastic VAs for the new characters like Chisa (Mai Nakahara) and Ruruka (Inori Minase).

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I dunno what they're saying, OP, but I never watched DR3. I only played 1, 2, and V3 because I heard how horrible the anime is and I understood everything just fine. :) You should be okay. I do know what they mean, though, when they say that if you're gonna watch the anime, then do it before playing V3. I agree with that. It's not necessary, but if you decide to watch it, absolutely watch it before you play V3. And no, none of us can tell you why. XD

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
This has been an amazing series (from the nonary games into the danganronpa series) .

have you given thought into what you want to tackle next?

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget you have to watch both anime in tandem. Ep 1 of Future then Ep 1 of Despair, Ep 2 of Future then Ep 2 of Despair and so on.

DR3 absolutely sucks, but it was one hell of a ride

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watch DR3 but adjust your expectations. This series was almost never good at plot writing worth taking seriously... And as it turns out without the amazing class trial premise to carry the whole thing, the narrative style of the franchise really breaks down.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The DR3 anime wasn't especially good but I don't understand the massive amount of hate it gets either. I just thought it was kind of whatever, and it's basically the sort of ending I expected for the Hope's Peak arc.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DR3 Anime has an amazing amount of good ideas and concepts that could have made for something that really pushed the franchise forward, but it drops damn near every ball it has and the result is a frustrating mess of a show.

V3 is far more competent and solid, but that's only because it's blatantly retreading a lot of the same ground as the first two games.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The DR3 anime wasn't especially good but I don't understand the massive amount of hate it gets either. I just thought it was kind of whatever, and it's basically the sort of ending I expected for the Hope's Peak arc.
Future arc was significantly less of a problem than Despair arc was, that is where most people's hate of DR3 stems from.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even remember what caused most of the hate, mind giving me a refresher on what's the cause? (in spoilers of course)
Retcons out of the wazoo. The big lingering plot point from DR2 was how the students were turned to despair by Junko, dialogue from Mikan and others implied she brainwashed them by individually manipulating them (such as in Mikan's case, accepting her for who she is), but nope Kodaka instead retconned that in favour of a stupid meta "everyone was brainwashed by watching anime" ending. Chiaki's backstory was also retconned to bring her back, rather than being an AI creation of Chihiro she now was originally a student. How did Chihiro know about her to make her into an AI? Eh don't sweat the details, Kodaka doesn't. And why did they bring her back? To bait and troll Chiaki fans basically, since despite being the center of the entire series (to the point where nobody else has any presence or backstory) she was only used for shock value with the torture scene. Oh and of course by her actually existing as a human that also opens up a number of plot holes for DR2 such as why none of them remember her existing when they gained their memories back.

There was countless smaller things like mishandling the twilight incident, Izuru meeting Nagito, Peko, Fuyuhiko and Akane being brainwashed by 1 death despite having seen countless ones over the years (hell Fuyuhiko barely showed any emotion when his sister was killed), the headass decision of everyone walking right into the trap while unarmed, without informing anyone and carrying an injured Nagito etc.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I live for V3 reactions

It's the best game in the series, don't listen to the haters

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
D3 anime is just a waste of time. You are better off not knowing the existence of D3.
Watch DR3 but adjust your expectations. This series was almost never good at plot writing worth taking seriously... And as it turns out without the amazing class trial premise to carry the whole thing, the narrative style of the franchise really breaks down.
Yeah, I would never recommend the anime.
Don't forget you have to watch both anime in tandem. Ep 1 of Future then Ep 1 of Despair, Ep 2 of Future then Ep 2 of Despair and so on.

DR3 absolutely sucks, but it was one hell of a ride
Don't watch Danganronpa 3.
Watch Danganronpa 3.
giphy.gif

This has been an amazing series (from the nonary games into the danganronpa series) .

have you given thought into what you want to tackle next?
Out of the VNs I recently bought. I think Umineko or AI would make a fun thread, maybe 428 too

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The thing with the DR3 anime is that it's trash. But it's watchable trash... at least for the first half or so before the wheels completely fall off. And I do think it's worth watching for that early stretch especially because I remember it was fun to speculate about where things would lead.

That's kind of why I pitched the first 3 episodes (Future 1, Despair 1, Future 2) as a compromise teaser so you could get a taste of what's on offer for minimal commitment and then make up your own mind whether to continue ahead with it from there.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Retcons out of the wazoo. The big lingering plot point from DR2 was how the students were turned to despair by Junko, dialogue from Mikan and others implied she brainwashed them by individually manipulating them (such as in Mikan's case, accepting her for who she is), but nope Kodaka instead retconned that in favour of a stupid meta "everyone was brainwashed by watching anime" ending. Chiaki's backstory was also retconned to bring her back, rather than being an AI creation of Chihiro she now was originally a student. How did Chihiro know about her to make her into an AI? Eh don't sweat the details, Kodaka doesn't. And why did they bring her back? To bait and troll Chiaki fans basically, since despite being the center of the entire series (to the point where nobody else has any presence or backstory) she was only used for shock value with the torture scene. Oh and of course by her actually existing as a human that also opens up a number of plot holes for DR2 such as why none of them remember her existing when they gained their memories back.

There was countless smaller things like mishandling the twilight incident, Izuru meeting Nagito, Peko, Fuyuhiko and Akane being brainwashed by 1 death despite having seen countless ones over the years (hell Fuyuhiko barely showed any emotion when his sister was killed), the headass decision of everyone walking right into the trap while unarmed, without informing anyone and carrying an injured Nagito etc.

Oh... yeah...

You just made me realize that I somehow managed to surpress most of my memories regarding the Anime.

Man, I didn't remember it being that bad....

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't in the anime so fuck the anime

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
dont watch the anime, I skipped it and it didnt affect my enjoyment of V3, the best game in the series, one bit

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I liked the past arc for the DR3 anime, disliked the future one. Overall it's pretty skipable, the past arc just gives extra backstory for DR2 that you don't really need and I think DR2's ending is pretty good on its own.

The one thing you don't wanna experience is UDG. Legitimately one of the worst games I've ever finished, and I have a good deal of love for 1/2/V3.

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the past arc for the DR3 anime, disliked the future one. Overall it's pretty skipable, the past arc just gives extra backstory for DR2 that you don't really need and I think DR2's ending is pretty good on its own.

The one thing you don't wanna experience is UDG. Legitimately one of the worst games I've ever finished, and I have a good deal of love for 1/2/V3.
I never finished Ultra Despair Girls. It seemed alright. Not awful not great. But I mean I never had motivation to finish it so that's telling in a way. But I wasn't hating what I did play generally. I just wasn't really caring for it either.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, i'll watch the anime while I get this platinum

I was expecting their bodies to be much worse off. They look normal af

They changed way too many of the english VAs for me to watch it in eng

Time to retcon Chiaki into being based on a real person

I've seen bracelets similar to these somewhere...:P

Why am I not surprised the black guy died first

Let's make most people in the future arc super unlikable.

I didn't need to see teru attempt to assault someone who looks 8 with his boner

I must be the ultimate unlucky student to stumble into the mahiru bath scene while grinding in this game at the same time.

I dunno why the game or the anime never just called it the Ultimate Tragedy in an attempt to quell the melodramaticness of the full name.

in b4 girl in wheelchair gets up and walks as a big reveal

Someone really fucked up the writing for nagito. His actions make no sense in comparison to the games

I can definitely see why someone would kill fuyuhiko's little sister

Wheelchair girl was a plant?
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Nekomura's design is so scuffed here

Neojunko is 2 small lines away from basically having swastikas in her eyes. And her getup too sheese, could not be more on the nose if you tried

kiritsugu's VA is cursed to play the tragic hero the rest of his life

I can already guess the reason why most hate this anime, they totally kill someone like kyoko don't they?

Kyoko is into licking dead bodies then eh?

They made Junko into a valley girl in the english version? How could someone tolerate listening to that for hours?

Neojunko really just Enel'd herself lmao.

Rip Kyoko, wasted on a limp dick ass of an antagonist. Whose about as interesting as a shonen villian during a filler arc

That's how Junko did it? Through brainwashing? That's incredibly lame, I was expecting something far more personal than that

There's some uncanny, fucked up timing here. Grinding away on chiaki's love route in game while she's being executed in the show.

sorry chiaki
01-35.png

...yall knew where the power was to shut off the bracelets and never once thought to turn it off?
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Expecting Kyoko to be alive because there's no way she didn't notice medicine woman trying to slip the first dead dude a pill to save him

Oops, showing sakura tightening those bolts be hand is a plothole

It's a shame the series will never go into any of the politics regarding the school. Like the fact fuyuhiko and sonia are nothing more than recruitments used to gain favor with the yakuza and a country.

I thought you'd be on board with the weeb's plan, considering you were talking about wiping out despair

Anime destroyed the world? Miyazaki tried to warn yall
s7rK7dSXlrkdVKccjtGe-dCIoDA_qp0cH8DwfoarF-kgAk1z9X89euCSL9WpcF4ChtBRHxxu4QRshGu4cW3-yzaed0c-Ic_E5Vx51TKfISQ

Yeap, there's the Kyoko revival.

All in all...it was ok

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It's weird... I consider the DR3 anime to be largely crap... but I liked Makoto a lot more coming out of it than I did going in. Even though he was largely useless in the Future arc and being carried everywhere.

I also liked Toko a lot more after the crappy Ultra Despair Girls spinoff. Ultimately felt like a waste that they tied it into the anime like they did and then blew it off after a single episode.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird... I consider the DR3 anime to be largely crap... but I liked Makoto a lot more coming out of it than I did going in. Even though he was largely useless in the Future arc and being carried everywhere.

I also liked Toko a lot more after the crappy Ultra Despair Girls spinoff. Ultimately felt like a waste that they tied it into the anime like they did and then blew it off after a single episode.
There's something funny about Makoto standing outside the room doing nothing in the final episode

I will say the show has the trashiest handling of death and torture i've ever seen in media. Clearly what I needed was constant crotch shots during those moments.

Well, now onto V3!

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
OP's starting V3? Just finished the third trial in V3 and I've loved everything about it. Even the characters I kinda dislike are endearing in a weird way.