• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
The next case really is the best one, but hooo boy seeing the words "swimsuit beating" is dredging up some really salty memories, quite possibly the dumbest piece of 'evidence' you have to present in Danganronpa or any comparable game I've played.
MEAT ON THE BONE
ON THE BONE MEAT
MEAT BONE THE ON
BONE ON THE MEAT

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
MEAT ON THE BONE
ON THE BONE MEAT
MEAT BONE THE ON
BONE ON THE MEAT

Alright this one was pretty hilarious because there were multiple ways of phrasing the same thing in English and only one worked, but at least the idea behind it was clear. That reminds me though, there are some other hilariously odd word choices in this series...

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Supreme Overlord of Ice.
For a split second I thought "what if the magic circle worked" then it flashed

Some motives make more sense with added context from later reveals.
Additionally, I adored Stephanie Sheh's delivery of Mikan's breakdown. She always brings her A-game.

Oh yeah... it's popcorn time.
Can't wait for the next follow-up.
A lot of people were bringing there A-game for this one. Even Monokuma is better here.

The next case really is the best one, but hooo boy seeing the words "swimsuit beating" is dredging up some really salty memories, quite possibly the dumbest piece of 'evidence' you have to present in Danganronpa or any comparable game I've played.
That case and the one with Mikan make me think a significant part of the game got rewritten during development. There's some dialogue and other things that don't quite line up with the case at hand.

Alright this one was pretty hilarious because there were multiple ways of phrasing the same thing in English and only one worked, but at least the idea behind it was clear. That reminds me though, there are some other hilariously odd word choices in this series...
If they would have used "IN" instead of "ON" there would have been less valid phrases and the reveal would have made more sense too.
IN THE MEAT BONE
BONE IN THE MEAT

Maybe the countdown signifies how long an AI program watches us despair then learns from it. And they use that to rebuild junko's personality in a robot body.

Nagito's role in this game is just like
Eureka-Colin-Ferguson-Sheriff-Jack-Carter-TV-Series-Art-Huge-Print-Poster-TXHOME-D6054.jpg

Kazuchi getting downgraded to stalker tier by Sonia
giphy.gif

NO ONE GAVE A SINGLE FUCK KAZUCHI WAS RIGHT BY THE EXPLOSION LMAO

Sonia seems the most likely for traitor town.

Not surprising it was nagito to wind up dead last, it was the only person it could be at this point

So not the real kaiba but a really good imposter. So this could take place anywhere in the timeline

Time to see whose the killer in this trial

what the fuck at this hangman's gambit
tumblr_mufdsoYjfF1rwxgxro2_250.jpg

THESE MOTHERFUCKERS KNEW THAT "MEAT ON THE BONE" WAS BULLSHIT AND EVEN MADE A JOKE ABOUT IT.

Nagito forcing someone to unintentionally kill him is some genius level shit
giphy.gif

Some of nagito's faces in this comic looks like a combination of umineko meme faces and this guy
latest

...Chiaki
f57.jpg

(great job by sonia's VA here)

She's 100% a robot

uh oh
giphy.gif

So i'm guessing monokuma is a virus here

I thought Nagito looked a bit Junko-ey

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i just finished DangOleGrandpa 2 for my second time a week or so ago

i dunno why but i felt like replaying the series, maybe im just jonesing for more

i remember being a bit lukewarm on 2 at the time i played it back in the day, but replaying it there's a lot i really enjoy about it

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I don't 100% remember the context, but what's bullshit about "Meat on the Bone"? That's a fairly common phrase, I don't think other arrangements of the words actually make sense.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't 100% remember the context, but what's bullshit about "Meat on the Bone"? That's a fairly common phrase, I don't think other arrangements of the words actually make sense.

"The meat on bone" I think is the one that stands out to me. I think what happened is I tried this one, was like "WTF" then started just trying every combo.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should replay Danganronpa 2. The first game is in my top 5 visual novels of all times, but the second game didn't excite or surprise quite like the first one.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Glad you're enjoying DR2, OP! Like I said, it's good to me but of the three I like it least. I'm thirsty for your impressions of V3, lol. Easily my favorite of the trilogy, but it's super divisive for uh... ONE reason. But we won't get into that yet. Man.... man I'm hype for your impressions!

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Glad you're enjoying DR2, OP! Like I said, it's good to me but of the three I like it least. I'm thirsty for your impressions of V3, lol. Easily my favorite of the trilogy, but it's super divisive for uh... ONE reason. But we won't get into that yet. Man.... man I'm hype for your impressions!
I'd say there are two distinct reasons, actually.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Are there? I didn't like it as much as DR1, but I thought it was pretty good. I didn't much like the ending, but I don't really like the endings of ANY of the games, so that's nothing new.
In addition to the ending, a lot of people were really turned off by the protagonist switch, since we lost an interesting female playable character in favor of a less interesting male character.

Honestly, I kinda align myself with that opinion, even if I didn't hate the new guy. It just strikes me as a missed opportunity.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
In addition to the ending, a lot of people were really turned off by the protagonist switch, since we lost an interesting female playable character in favor of a less interesting male character.

Honestly, I kinda align myself with that opinion, even if I didn't hate the new guy. It just strikes me as a missed opportunity.
I nearly forgot about that, but yes, that I can 100% agree with. It didn't kill the game for me or anything, but man, it WAS a big missed opportunity and I would have loved if it hadn't happened.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This game's cast would actually be ridiculous if hanamura wasn't here
Surviving cast probably be Chiaki, Ibuki, Mahiru, Gundham, and Mikan
I had to come back to this now that you've cleared through Chapter 5.
You went 0 for 5 on your initial survival rate impressions. That's actually kind of impressive!

Yeah, if you want to be technical... all of these people survive... except for Chiaki who was an AI. But you know what I mean!

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, that soured my opinion of V3 long before the obvious point cemented my dislike of it. I almost outright sold the game there and then.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

See, I thought that was amazing. If things had been reversed it would've been better, but what a crippling gut-punch. Sells the whole point of Danganronpa, you never know what to expect.

But I can definitely see why that would turn people off. I was referring more to the first thing you said.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I had to come back to this now that you've cleared through Chapter 5.
You went 0 for 5 on your initial survival rate impressions. That's actually kind of impressive!

Yeah, if you want to be technical... all of these people survive... except for Chiaki who was an AI. But you know what I mean!
hqdefault.jpg

Someone needs to replace the GPU in this simulation. Got real bad green artifacting

Hmm, so did Makoto bet against the foundation? Like what nagito was saying, gotta confront the despair instead of running away from it. So may be why he kept them alive

Hiyoko got hit with that fat growth spurt

Oh darn, was hoping they would be alive outside the sim

jesus christ
8ubGFLt.gif

Having to accept you killed everyone you know is gonna be some tough shit

I was wondering why gundham's eyes were similar to monokumas

Someone on the dev team has a giantess fetish

So Junko offers to revive everyone, but she probably just intends to put her personality in those bodies

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

The academy is one fucked up institution, my god

Why don't you just shoot everyone who already died in the game? Could prevent junko's plan from working

Hajime channeling his inner Taka

A better ending than the first game. Although your enjoyment of the ending will depend on how you feel about super happy endings.
it ain't called Goodbye Despair for nothin :P

With how the twist is in this game, I would have liked if each character revealed a deep weakness about themselves when I was collecting hope fragments. Like, how the fuck did Junko get Nekomura to feel despair? A man whose extremely selfless and not even getting his entire body replaced phased him.

Ultimately a better game than the first, mostly due to a far better cast and VA performance. Not without its issues tho. Some parts of cases do some bullshit, hangman's gambit sky rockets in difficulty at one point, there's some inconsistent writing which I can only assume is leftover from a major script rewrite, and there's still a bit of jank in the controls.

Top 3 characters for me were. Who yall got?
Ibuki
Nekomura
Gundham

Sonia almost made the list towards the end.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Top 3 characters for me were. Who yall got?
Ibuki
Nekomura
Gundham

That's a pretty strong list, though personally I'd probably put Fuyuhiko, Nagito and Gundham as the top 3 (in no particular order) for their weird own reasons.

With how the twist is in this game, I would have liked if each character revealed a deep weakness about themselves when I was collecting hope fragments

In some hope fragment conversations there's a few indications with some characters that they don't exactly have the best personal life outside their talent (whether it's obvious like Akane or more subtle like Gundham).

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I loved that moment, but even I agree that it ultimately turned out to be a missed opportunity as well. I definitely understand why it would sour people on the game.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Like, how the fuck did Junko get Nekomura to feel despair?

If you really want to know, you should watch the Danganronpa 3 anime, which I generally enjoyed, although I believe it has a somewhat mixed reaction from others.
It's also a pain to watch in the right order, but somewhat necessary due to the way the plot unfolds.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
My DR2 Top 3...

1) Ibuki
2) Nagito
3) TIE: Stephanie Sheh's delivery for Mikan / Chiaki's kitty hoodie / The Four Dark Devas of Destruction

If you really want to know, you should watch the Danganronpa 3 anime, which I generally enjoyed, although I believe it has a somewhat mixed reaction from others. It's also a pain to watch in the right order, but somewhat necessary due to the way the plot unfolds.
That's the thing about the DR3 anime. It answers a metric ton of questions raised in the first two games (and the spinoff) but does so in a way that largely leaves folks unsatisfied.

That said, I almost feel it's worth encouraging someone to scope out Future Arc Episode 1, Despair Arc Episode 1 and Future Arc Episode 2 (in that order) just to get a feel for what's on offer. Just to dip one's toe in as it were. It's not like things fall apart that early or anything (well, outside of the new voice for Monokuma).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty strong list, though personally I'd probably put Fuyuhiko, Nagito and Gundham as the top 3 (in no particular order) for their weird own reasons.

In some hope fragment conversations there's a few indications with some characters that they don't exactly have the best personal life outside their talent (whether it's obvious like Akane or more subtle like Gundham).
Ya, saw that when I went back and looked at Ibuki's stuff. I was about to say they could frame it as Nekomaru being the one who gathered them post-tragedy, but it seems the anime takes care of it.

Gundham
Nagito
Fakegami

I really disliked most of the DR2 cast and fucking hated Chiaki.
Why the hate for Chiaki?

Upon further thought, it's kind of amazing the swimsuit thing in this game pissed me off about as much as the card puzzle in ZTD lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ibuki
Nagito
Sonia

The best bit of the game is that random one off chapter with Nagito on the boat.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Cause she seemed to be designed in a lab to be the perfect "waifu". She's the ultimate gamer, has poor social skills, and despite figuring stuff out she always acts unsure of herself leading Hajime to have to follow up.
She's definitely a continuation of what Sayaka was setup to be in the first game

Hinata
Ibuki
Gundam

I have a love and hate relationship with Nagito. He's fucking trash, amusing trash.

The entire danganronpa 2 cast is likable tbh, even Teruteru by a tiny degree.
Nagito is the perfect execution of Chaotic Neutral, probably one of the best I've seen.

*20 minutes of creak.wav*
It kinda hits tho and I loved the atmosphere it sets.

Jun 24, 2019
Nagito is the perfect execution of Chaotic Neutral, probably one of the best I've seen

Holy yes. A great shift from Makoto's projection of the 'Lucky Student', the VA did an awesome job.

You should check out the concept art of the 2 games. Fun Fact: Akane was going to have more of an antagonistic role but later got scrapped.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Top 3:
Nagito
<large gap>
Mahiru
Nekomaru

I was fully on board the Nagito = Makoto ("he got so mentally fucked up after the first game that he broke!") train, it made Nagito extremely compelling to me. Not 100% sure why, I wasn't a huge Makoto fan in the first game or anything, he's pretty generic. The scene where they discover Nagito's affected me in a really weird way, I had to quit playing for the day to process it or something. I so fully expected him to be redeemed or snap out of his weirdness, or even go full evil murderer, but instead he just died an extremely gruesome death. Of course the fact that he's NOT Makoto and he's the one that orchestrated his own death puts a slight dampener on that, but it doesn't change the way I felt at the time.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Chiaki
Ibuki
Sakura (her statue is in the game, it counts).

I went into the gaming not liking Chiaki at all. Totally had her pegged as gamer bait which she was, but she ended up being a better Kyoko. By the end of the game she was easily my favorite, good job game you got me. Tears hit at the end when the game goes silent as the world is crushing around and she says Thank you.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Hinata
Ibuki
Gundam

I have a love and hate relationship with Nagito. He's fucking trash, amusing trash.

The entire danganronpa 2 cast is likable tbh, even Teruteru by a tiny degree.
See this is where I have to disagree, DR2 is probably my least favorite cast of the trilogy. I didn't like Fuyuhiko or Teruteru at all, I REALLY didn't care for Hiyoko (I found her to be really annoying, especially her "insult" persona) and the big one... I know people love him, but I don't understand why, I cannot stand Nagito, he's literally my least favorite character in the entire series.

But part of that is probably me, I hate "chaotic for the sake of chaos" characters in everything they're in, and anyone that causes pointless strife among parties of characters (there's another character in V3 who's right up there with him). I know there are plenty of characters that are more "boring" than Nagito, but honestly I prefer more normal and boring to him.

My top 3 characters would be:

Chiaki
Gundham
Ibuki

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DR2, I think, has the most solid cast of the bunch. It plays upon the dynamic of DR1's cast in interesting ways, like a Togami who's genuinely considerate of others, and the entire bundle of literary greatness that is Komaeda, as well as disturbing parallels like a double murder in Chapter 3, and a saddening death in CH4, and a subversive CH5 case.

V3 chronically fails to rise above Goodbye Despair's writing and by-and-large remains as a pale imitator of DR2, cast-wise, in my opinion. I'm also salty because the first several characters to die were invariably my favorite characters and nobody who remained after was compelling to me, but I'm veering into spoiler territory for OP, so I'll stop.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering why people had fuyuhiko on their fav char list. I can understand after talking to him for hope fragments

Mahiru's mom has covered wars ya know

Onto V3, show me what ya got

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was wondering why people had fuyuhiko on their fav char list.

For me, it's mostly because his development happens early enough that it isn't crowded out by other plot developments and he ends up becoming one of the most reliable characters in the entire series. He might not be the most active in trials but he's always first to volunteer if something needs doing (like assisting with the stuff in the hospital).

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
With how the twist is in this game, I would have liked if each character revealed a deep weakness about themselves when I was collecting hope fragments. Like, how the fuck did Junko get Nekomura to feel despair? A man whose extremely selfless and not even getting his entire body replaced phased him.
Danganronpa 3 - Despair Arc covers that along with all other DR2 loose ends.... although lets just say that there is nobody out there that likes it for a multitude of reasons.

So, before you actually play V3 if you're invested into the story of DR1 and DR2 enough that you don't mind consuming some different media then you'll want to do the following:
- Read the Danganronpa Zero novel translation (it sucks, but sadly it ties into the anime)
- Watch Danganronpa 3 Future and Despair Arcs - specifically do so 1 episode at a time alternating (So Future 1, then Despair 1, then Future 2 etc.) as everything links together and the broadcast order is the best way to experience it.
- Watch Danganronpa 3 Hope Arc last of all, that is the finale

The reason you should do it before V3 is spoilers.

Is the novel in 2 worth reading?
Yeah I'd say it is actually, it's from the perspective of if Makoto got the Escape Button from the Monomono machine right near the start. You could say it's basically a fanfic about Mukuro but it's a bit of a fun and adds some depth to her character which helps for Zero. You can probably knock it out in an hour so I'd say to do so.

V3 chronically fails to rise above Goodbye Despair's writing and by-and-large remains as a pale imitator of DR2, cast-wise, in my opinion. I'm also salty because the first several characters to die were invariably my favorite characters and nobody who remained after was compelling to me, but I'm veering into spoiler territory for OP, so I'll stop.
Yep, the only ones I liked went early and it just left a bunch that were unbearable or boring.

Oh and top 3 DR2 characters:
Chiaki
Sonia
Gundham

Nagito can go straight in the trash for his chapter 5 shenanigans.