• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
OP how did you feel about chapter 1's twist?
Kind of lame. Do not like a game trying to say I did something I didn't witness, even though i've been in control of her the whole time. Would have worked far better if I was switching control with shuichi before the reveal. Setup the warehouse differently to allow for this and could have also switched when shuichi went to check on the seven going into the basement.

The parallels between how Zero Escape and Danganronpa progress as a series (and how they're each received by fans) is staggering lol.

Kokichi is just a shitty nagito at this point, someone please kill this child

Hmmm, so after recovering why the Ultimate Tragedy the word rebelled against ultimates

Kaito...
source.gif

So are all monokuma theatres just the author's stream of consciousness? Or do they mean something?

Kirumi confirmed for this level
MV5BMzI2NWNhNDktNDhhZS00ODI5LWFmZDEtYTMxMDE0MTI1M2FhL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

of killer tier

inb4 kaito gets me tired to try and murder me

Oh my, will I witness a live murder at the magic show?

Ryoma? mannnnn, he was the best character so far.
tenor.gif

The group of interesting characters is dwindling fast. We got Kirumi and Korekiyo (to an extent) left.

holy fuck they just yeet'd keebo into the glass lmao

Hmmm, if we go by previous games with 5 people I see Kirumi, Miu, Maki, and Kaito surviving. If it's just between 2 people at the end like it said at the start, then it'll probably kaito.

Himoko as the setup but no one really obvious as the true culprit. Although, surely they wouldn't do something as obvious as Kaito right?

Really like how the split debate is setup.

Psyche taxi is a trip lol, wasn't expecting that

Game needs to make up it's mind if Triangle of X is going to be used for confirm, stop flip flopping between mini-games and the such

Ohhh nooooo, not Kirumi. She had probably my favorite design in the series.

Blowing off their clothes during Armament is incredibly trashy

There's a bit of irony to me comparing Kirumi to Roberta and not expecting her to be the killer.

That's the VA for Sonia as Monophanie and Nekomura as Monokid, I think at least. Checking is too risky lol

What a fucked up motive video ryoma had, jesus

Monokuma to kirumi:
OpenJadedArrowana-size_restricted.gif

Strip off her clothes while killing her, that's even trashier
oZ3bJMv.png

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
For at least the third time in this thread, I'll say that V3 is the best one. And ZTD can die in a trash fire.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kokichi is just a shitty nagito at this point, someone please kill this child
finally someone agrees with me on this

For at least the third time in this thread, I'll say that V3 is the best one. And ZTD can die in a trash fire.
I am of the relatively rare, I think, opinion that DR2 peaked, V3's middle is trash (but the start/end are great, though flawed), and that ZTD can die in a trash fire.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I am of the relatively rare, I think, opinion that DR2 peaked, V3's middle is trash (but the start/end are great, though flawed), and that ZTD can die in a trash fire.
V3 and DR2 are close. I think V3's ending edges it out by a bit. Didn't think about splitting it apart lol. I did appreciate chapter 1 too. But yeah, you're probably right about ch3 and 4.

Oct 28, 2017
Kokichi being a poor mans Nagito were my feelings for the first few chapters but I came around to Kokichi the further I got. And actually replaying DR2 afterwards made me realise that no that definitely isn't the case.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
As a Chiaki fan I hate Nagito, and yet I still find him infinitely more tolerable than Kokichi, it's like someone put the personalities of mastermind Junko and Nagito in a blender. My bottom 3 DR series characters all come from V3.

Yep.
Are your bottom three Miu, Kokichi, and Tenko?

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is only a single moment in which I felt that Kokichi was a truly interesting character whose inclusion in the game made me glad but I can't talk about that yet.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Actually yes, top marks to you.

I'd probably put Teruteru bottom 5 just because he has so little screen time, had he got any more then he'd be a lock for bottom 3.
Miu is just Teru turned up to 11
Tenko is just Mahiru turned up to 20
And Kokichi is just a poorly written Nagito

The game became so much more enjoyable when they iced Teru in the first trial, I was worried we'd be stuck with him for so much longer.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
What's interesting about V3 for me is that though I'm very disappointed in the game, I had very low expectations going in. That's because the first chapter is on such a promising trajectory, but eventually it settles on the unimaginative Danganronpa routine, and pulls it off inferiously at that. V3 takes one well needed step outside the Danganronpa comfort zone, then gets so spooked it runs back and cries in the fetal position while blaming everyone else for its dependence on routine (eventually resulting in the ending).

This is best exemplified by swapping the refreshing, proactive and idiosyncratic Kaede with the passive, reactionary, trite and bland Shuichi. However, this is a symptom of the game's central flaw and not the cause; that is to say, even if the game kept Kaede as the protag, the game would still be disappointing, though significantly less. Finally, the ending, as interesting as it is, makes it plausible that the game intentionally made itself derivative and worse on purpose for some condescending message. I suppose it highlights the danger of giving one person too much unquestioned control over the creative process. [\SPOILER]

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's keep in mind that the OP isn't finished with V3 yet. We should all tone down discussion of the latter parts of the game.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a Chiaki fan I hate Nagito, and yet I still find him infinitely more tolerable than Kokichi, it's like someone put the personalities of mastermind Junko and Nagito in a blender. My bottom 3 DR series characters all come from V3.

I'm a Chiaki and Nagito fan.

...DR2 Chapter 5 was really hard for me ;___;

What's interesting about V3 for me is that though I'm very disappointed in the game, I had very low expectations going in. That's because the first chapter is on such a promising trajectory, but eventually it settles on the unimaginative Danganronpa routine, and pulls it off inferiously at that. V3 takes one well needed step outside the Danganronpa comfort zone, then gets so spooked it runs back and cries in the fetal position while blaming everyone else for its dependence on routine (eventually resulting in the ending).

This is best exemplified by swapping the refreshing, proactive and idiosyncratic Kaede with the passive, reactionary, trite and bland Shuichi. However, this is a symptom of the game's central flaw and not the cause; that is to say, even if the game kept Kaede as the protag, the game would still be disappointing, though significantly less. Finally, the ending, as interesting as it is, makes it plausible that the game intentionally made itself derivative and worse on purpose for some condescending message. I suppose it highlights the danger of giving one person too much unquestioned control over the creative process.

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

This is best exemplified by swapping the refreshing, proactive and idiosyncratic Kaede with the passive, reactionary, trite and bland Shuichi. However, this is a symptom of the game's central flaw and not the cause; that is to say, even if the game kept Kaede as the protag, the game would still be disappointing, though significantly less. Finally, the ending, as interesting as it is, makes it plausible that the game intentionally made itself derivative and worse on purpose for some condescending message. I suppose it highlights the danger of giving one person too much unquestioned control over the creative process.
Just gonna spoiler tag this quote since I think it is too detailed for the OP to read, but I agree with it wholeheartedly, especially about Kaede.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Miu was great at first but her shtick got old and wore on me over time. I flip-flopped on Kokichi a lot. I was surprised to learn how popular he was

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to know that you like V3 that really much. Sure, it does have mixed reactions but that game is gem.

And I'm also a bitter that protagonist was killed off by "accident". This one got me really good.

And Maki >>>>>> all

Feb 12, 2019
Even as someone who is generally pro-DR V3, I think the bait-and-switch at the end of the first case is unnecessary cheap garbage.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the first case twist is fucking INCREDIBLE in isolation, but it came at the cost of having boring character dynamics for the rest of the game. Having a driven, capable, active protagonist would have been wonderful to shake things up, instead of yet another wimp who gradually grows out of being a wimp. And that's not to say Kaede couldn't have developed as a person, if nothing else, the scene after the secret exit thing where she was shaken up about her own ability shows how you can have a leader figure who still develops as a character alongside the cast.

While I disagree that the twist is bad solely on account of killing a female protagonist and replacing her with a male protagonist, I understand why that would ruin it for people, as well.

So, yeah, the loss of Kaede at the end of the first chapter is really crushing in retrospect because of that.

Honestly, I'm not disappointed at the twist; I'm disappointed at how the rest of the character writing in the game just (IMO) utterly fails to live up to the originality of Kaede as a protagonist.

Edit: If I were to remake V3 in my own imagining, as it were, I'd just switch it up that Shuichi the detective would be the initial protagonist and Kaede would just shape up as the regular love interest nu-Sayaka or whatever, then first chapter happens, Shuichi sacrifices himself to find the truth, so the one guy who would've been good at solving shit is gone, Kaede takes off a headband or cuts her hair or whatever to get the ahoge, and maybe is inspired by Shuichi's sacrifice and so decides to lead the rest and starts to shape up to walk in his steps, as it were. You could rewrite most of the writing around Kaede's leadership in Chapter 1 to be around Shuichi's intense inquisitiveness as the Ultimate Detective instead.

Last edited:

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Chapter 6 wouldn't work with Kaede as the protagonist.
She would choose hope.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Chapter 6 wouldn't work with Kaede as the protagonist.
She would choose hope.
Luckily there is 4/5 chapters of character development that could rectify that. Wouldn't think she could stay the same after watching 2/3 of her classmates die.
Or, the ending could be adjusted. Let's not forget that there is an epilogue that blatantly panders back to hope anyways.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap, losing Kaede for the wet blanket that is shuichi is the game's biggest crime so far. I was like "finally, my character in this series has a fucking personality! ...andddd she's gone". Would have been nice to have an MC with a personality before the last half of the final trial.

Ya, ultimate child care seemed like bullshit. Tho it would have been funny for Maki to be taking care of an actual child in that room

Gonta out here seeing pixels

Would be interesting if this took place before the construction of hope's peak

>Monodam whenever he detects the slightest amount of bullying
hqdefault.jpg

Gonta being 6'6" @ 207lbs is cracking me up. Dude is shredded

Can't talk to Maki right now and everyone else I have no interest in. Oooof

Atua invading this school like christianity did in The Mist

Oooo, resurrecting someone. Now this is what i'm talking about for a motive.

Angie being murdered is not at all a surprise

One day Miu will be something more personality-wise than a caricature of a BDSM Switch, today is not that day

Oh shit, tenko too? Was not expecting a double murder. Someone probably thought tenko killed angie and killer her because of it

Kaito and Miu the best of pals
giphy.gif

Kaito and Kiyo the most suspicious, but Himoko is also a possibility

Oooo a double bluff from Kiyo?

Please never let the dangan people around rhythm games, the armament game is easily their worst implementation of it in the series.

What's wrong with you Kiyo
Jay-Z-Does-Not-Want-Abandon-Thread.gif

All we got left for the rest of the game is Maki huh?

Ahhh, so this is a repeating killing game. Maybe it's a gameshow!

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeap, losing Kaede for the wet blanket that is shuichi is the game's biggest crime so far. I was like "finally, my character in this series has a fucking personality! ...andddd she's gone". Would have been nice to have an MC with a personality before the last half of the final trial.

Ya, ultimate child care seemed like bullshit. Tho it would have been funny for Maki to be taking care of an actual child in that room

Gonta out here seeing pixels

Would be interesting if this took place before the construction of hope's peak

>Monodam whenever he detects the slightest amount of bullying
hqdefault.jpg

Gonta being 6'6" @ 207lbs is cracking me up. Dude is shredded

Can't talk to Maki right now and everyone else I have no interest in. Oooof

Atua invading this school like christianity did in The Mist

Oooo, resurrecting someone. Now this is what i'm talking about for a motive.

Angie being murdered is not at all a surprise

One day Miu will be something more personality-wise than a caricature of a BDSM Switch, today is not that day

Oh shit, tenko too? Was not expecting a double murder. Someone probably thought tenko killed angie and killer her because of it

Kaito and Miu the best of pals
giphy.gif

Kaito and Kiyo the most suspicious, but Himoko is also a possibility

Oooo a double bluff from Kiyo?

Please never let the dangan people around rhythm games, the armament game is easily their worst implementation of it in the series.

What's wrong with you Kiyo
Jay-Z-Does-Not-Want-Abandon-Thread.gif

All we got left for the rest of the game is Maki huh?

Ahhh, so this is a repeating killing game. Maybe it's a gameshow!
If I'm gathering it correctly that you posted this partway through the last trial... OH BOI

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I remember when I first played v3 the twist got me by surprise and I was annoyed because I really felt like the game was just holding information back from me, but I'm watching a let's play of it right now and it's really eye opening how much the game actually tells you and how suspicious the killer actually acts.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm gathering it correctly that you posted this partway through the last trial... OH BOI
Just finished Chapter 3, on Chapter 4

I remember when I first played v3 the twist got me by surprise and I was annoyed because I really felt like the game was just holding information back from me, but I'm watching a let's play of it right now and it's really eye opening how much the game actually tells you and how suspicious the killer actually acts.

Once again I point to the parallels between Dangan and Zero Escape series. Both ZTD and V3 have a twist which seemingly comes out of nowhere, but are choreographed to an extent beforehand. The problem is that you have to know what you're looking for any of those hints to become clear. In V3's case, just switching between playable Shuichi and Kaede a few times would have been more than enough to fix the issue for me.

I'm a Chiaki and Nagito fan.

...DR2 Chapter 5 was really hard for me ;___;
God damn lol

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Ah!

Well, now that you're that far through the game I can reveal why most of the V3 cast bore me to tears: My four favourite characters starting out were Ryoma (tennis guy), the maid girl, Kaede and Rantaro.

._.
Losing Ryoma (who was on track to be one of my favorite characters in the series) and Kirumi in one trial was some rough shit.

Is Maki Roll a poorly translated pun?

It's annoying how they blocked all screenshots and videos for this game from ps4 OS. I can get around that, but still obnoxious as fuck

Maki crushing hard on Kaito

Miu with the PSVR hookup

Time to wake up from this world to someone being dead

Maki immediately wants out of this cursed virtual world
gABfINi.jpg

Will this game dive into the philosophical implications that happen when you a run a simulation inside a simulation? Probably not but one can hope

Tsumugi is the most boring character in the entire series, oh man. Don't know why you would design a character to be so dull

Miu being setup to be the murderer/victim

And there she goes

Can I have Shuichi do a heel turn and end up being the mastermind who set everything up, because he has an addiction to solving murder cases?

Kokichi trying to drag Kaito down with him I see

Shuichi learning the cost of being a narc

Still don't know how I feel about this hangman's gambit

I was wondering how they would get rid of gonta, what a sad way to go

Would have been interesting to see the votes split between Gonta and Kokichi, but number of people left don't make that possible

Imagine trusting Kokichi even a little bit, how dumb is the remaining group?

Well, onto what I assume is the final chapter because we're out of bear cubs to murder

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One of the more heartwrenching trials, even if I found the whole virtual world thing a bit naff.

One thing I like about V3 is the acknowledgement of how much the protagonist really carries the investigation, especially how it pays off in the fourth trial where everyone wants it to be Kokichi but that's just not what the evidence says.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really despised Chapter 4 in hindsight. What a way to character assassinate Miu, all of it in service of making us have an emotional response about Gonta.

Also I'm late to the ZTD vs DRV3 debates but despite enjoying both games I'm going to be the first to say DRV3 left way more of a sour taste in my mouth than ZTD ever did. ZTD stretched the suspension of disbelief at times but it still bought wholesale into its conceit, making the best of an unfortunate situation, whereas DRV3 feels like a condescending hodgepodge half of the time. Maybe that's why I actually ended up liking Kokichi more than Nagito, lol.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
V3 Chapter 4 is the best "sacrifice" case in the series.
Nah, that's still Sakura. This game likes to force certain feelings for characters far too much. Like Kaito for example, they've been forcing the bro thing since chapter 1. Which is just too obvious of a setup for a betrayal/tragic death.

I felt nothing at the end of CH4.
Chapter 4 is sooooo dull.
The cracks started to appear in chapter 3, but chapter 4 really shows the weakness of the series when the characters aren't interesting. My eyes have been kinda glazing over any dialogue that's not Maki's at this point. This is exacerbated during free time when you're out of interesting characters to talk to. And since nothing ever really happens between class trials, i'm just kind of coasting along.

I really despised Chapter 4 in hindsight. What a way to character assassinate Miu, all of it in service of making us have an emotional response about Gonta.

Also I'm late to the ZTD vs DRV3 debates but despite enjoying both games I'm going to be the first to say DRV3 left way more of a sour taste in my mouth than ZTD ever did. ZTD stretched the suspension of disbelief at times but it still bought wholesale into its conceit, making the best of an unfortunate situation, whereas DRV3 feels like a condescending hodgepodge half of the time. Maybe that's why I actually ended up liking Kokichi more than Nagito, lol.
I'd say it's more of a character assassination on gonta than miu. His motive for killing doesn't line up with his personality depicted at that point.

Shame the virtual world wasn't used for anything more than another murder setting

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, that's still Sakura. This game likes to force certain feelings for characters far too much. Like Kaito for example, they've been forcing the bro thing since chapter 1. Which is just too obvious of a setup for a betrayal/tragic death.
I actually disagree with both of you, I felt like CH4 of Danganronpa 2 was the best case in that regard. The funhouse was an amazing setting for a murder.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I actually disagree with both of you, I felt like CH4 of Danganronpa 2 was the best case in that regard. The funhouse was an amazing setting for a murder.
That one was pretty good too. Do we know if gundham knew about nekomura's intent to sacrifice or did he just consider him no longer human and used that as justification?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As I recall, the two agreed to some sort of challenge or match and the one to lose would be the first to die, or something.

Yeah Gundham lured him after he cleared the Final Dead Room but Nekomaru met Gundham head on once he realised he'd been brought to a life or death match. Unfortunately for him, Gundham cheated (which he had to do TBF otherwise he'd have easily lost) and the rest is history.