• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So after countless people telling me that this was the movie I just had to see, I finally bunkered down and watched what happened to be the second movie in my life to feature a strange figure representing a bunny (the first being Sexy Beast, which surprisingly came out the same year). It's definitely a movie best to jump into blind, so if you're even curious to watch it I'd suggest stop reading now.

I have to say, going in completely clueless, the film does a great job building up your doubt about what is going on and the true plot. Is Donnie going insane, with Frank warning him of the end of the world, or is the connection with the old lady whose seemingly lost her mind in the neighborhood and the book she's written on time travel actually of something concrete? And if the time travel is anything of real worth, why does Frank keep suggesting to Donnie to go heinous acts such as flooding school or burning houses? The tone is strong throughout it, even though I don't think it does anything necessarily out there or new for a movie (or at least, from someone watching it many years later).

The ending is where everything starts to click. The brutal death of his girlfriend is what got me going "Oh, okay, where we going", and then when we learn the identity of Frank, and the reveal that yes, this whole movie hinges on being a time travel movie the whole time.

I really just want people to talk to this movie about with. It's a shockingly beautiful film, and while maybe not the best written, it's still smart in it's own right in various ways.

What do you say, Era?

Last edited:

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
One of those movies where I was totally into it for the mood, vibe, but the plot and premise, its execution? I could take or leave it. A bit indifferent.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this movie multiple times, but I can never really explain what the fuck the movie is really about.

I have the LE set on blu-ray that comes with the DC, but I have no intentions of seeing it as I hear it tries to make sense of things and that's the whole charm of Donnie Darko.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which version did you watch?

Whatever is on Netflix, likely the theatrical version. I can post my theories on what ending means if y'all want, though I don't know how right I actually am, and if there ever has been a cohesive answer to what it means beyond the obvious.

One of those movies where I was totally into it for the mood, vibe, but the plot and premise, its execution? I could take or leave it. A bit indifferent.

I think I agree, at least until the end. I feel like if I watch it again there's some build up and hinting towards it, but it's more like a slow build-up. I don't know, I kind of love it already and know there's probably tons there, but at the same time it's not groundbreaking in any way. I'll have to digest my thoughts on it more, haha.

My favorite thing is how destiny is represented, and how it's intrinsically tied to time.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
its been consistently my favorite movie since ive seen it. the theatrical version, that is.

i think it gets the right mix of sci fi, mystery, not-annoying-romance, and humor. the music is great, there's a lot to interpret, multiple watches you can pick more things out, etc.

the director's version kind of ruins the mystery and sci fi and ruins portions of the movie with those ugly interweaves of the book they talk about.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
theatrical.

director's cut is only worth a watch if you've seen the theatrical 3 or 4 times already and want to see a "different take" on it. but it is nowhere near as good as the theatrical. the director is kind of a hack

Hack as in he was clearly bsing it and just struck gold once, or like making up explanations to make sense of things?

It's very clear to me after watching this there is some alternate universe shenanigans, and I wonder how much of this works because of the director planning the rules and not stating it and just letting the viewer experience this slowly, and maybe just you know, art happening in spite of those making it.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
ba16203d61989a9244f2ae0074c7c7a4--a-film-donnie-darko.jpg

I love this movie!

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So time next week I'll watch the highly rated sequel S.Darko, and probably leave my thoughts on that in here.

Wish me luck.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't seen it in what feels like a decade, should give it another watch today.

What's the definitive version to watch?
I took my girlfriend to some old theatre last year on Halloween to see it on 35mm film. It was super rad. I think that version (theatrical) is my favorite. Maybe one day I will watch them both and have a real answer, but seeing it in theatre was perfect.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't have been the only kid who closed their eyes anytime Frank was on screen. His design scared the shit out of me.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
theatrical.

director's cut is only worth a watch if you've seen the theatrical 3 or 4 times already and want to see a "different take" on it. but it is nowhere near as good as the theatrical. the director is kind of a hack

I've only seen the theatrical cut, but doesn't the director's cut more-or-less explicitly spell out what's happening by overlaying excerpts from The Philosophy of Time Travel on shots at key moments?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Now I gotta say, I watched it like 10 years after the fact, so I jumped into it with its high praise in my subconsciousness, otherwise, I saw it blind and it was pretty bad. Everything screamed "SYMBOLISM!!!!!! WE ARE SMART, YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!?" in my face like there is no tomorrow. "Most pretentious movie of all time" is a fitting sub-title imo. The movie itself was enjoyable, but I think its artistic worth or smartness or whatever the movie is being called is hugely overblown. Overall it was mediocre.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
"Every living creature on Earth dies alone."

Roberta Sparrow saved the universe once and chose to keep living afterwards.

Donny saw what that did to her. He chose to die but not alone.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Every living creature on Earth dies alone."

Roberta Sparrow saved the universe once and chose to keep living afterwards.

Donny saw what that did to her. He chose to die but not alone.

Woah. I knew her character meant more then what I was getting. I didn't grasp that she had sacrificed others likely and was a survivor of time-line whoo-hoo. That's interesting...

Oct 31, 2017
Hack as in he was clearly bsing it and just struck gold once, or like making up explanations to make sense of things?

It's very clear to me after watching this there is some alternate universe shenanigans, and I wonder how much of this works because of the director planning the rules and not stating it and just letting the viewer experience this slowly, and maybe just you know, art happening in spite of those making it.
I have to say that I completely disagree that the DC is a hack and the absolute worse version of the movie, I actually prefer it.
I get that most of the mystery and intrigue is lost in the DC but i find the theatrical cut waaaaay too nonsensical, 90% of the stuff that happens in the movie makes no goddamn sense and the movie doesn't really give us any hints to help us connect the dots, not even a little bit, seemingly random events just happen and that's that, good luck trying to figure it out. Once you watch the DC you actually have the ability to form a semi logical conclusion and an almost coherent story, without it it's just a clusterfuck of events that are intriguing to watch but impossible to connect together without more information. the real story that the director was trying to tell is actually really cool in my opinion, way better that nonsensical randomness anyway.
People talk about the theatrical version like they talk about kubrick films and I think that's ridiculous, even 2001 and the shining made a lot of sense in their twisted way, there's a lot a mystery too but you can craft a fairly reasonable and logical plot for what's going on in those movies, in the theatrical version of donnie darko you can only just randomly guess for the most part.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This movie was beautiful, and launched Jake Gyllenhaal's career. Nostalgia overload! Also theatrical far superior to directors cut.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Woah. I knew her character meant more then what I was getting. I didn't grasp that she had sacrificed others likely and was a survivor of time-line whoo-hoo. That's interesting...
Either watch the director's cut or give The Philosophy of Time Travel a read. A lof of things are still up for interpretation, but there are much clearer lines with that context given.

This movie was beautiful, and launched Jake Gyllenhaal's career. Nostalgia overload! Also theatrical far superior to directors cut.

For a first watch, I agree. For a reading of the film, not so much.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I bought the directors cut dvd for the commentary track. I didn't know what I was getting into then.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic movie, but finding out the real meaning of the film was unsatisfying. All of the "god" stuff wasn't suggested at all...

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, ive read different theories about what happens , and i have my own after i first watched it. Then watched it numerous times afterwards.

Badass soundtrack, amazing actors, thought provoking scenes, time travel, memorable quotes.

Its like this movie was made for me. Will go down as one of my top 5 of all time

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't for the life of me figure out how this director nailed it with this movie and then went on to make.....well...bad movies.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I saw this when it first came out on DVD and my buddy who worked at the video store (remember those?) recommended it... it's been one of my go-to Halloween movies ever since.

theatrical.

All true.

It could be both, but it certainly the first.

I can't for the life of me figure out how this director nailed it with this movie and then went on to make.....well...bad movies.

Considering he even screwed this up with the director's cut, the answer is clearly "blind luck"...

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the mood and strangeness of the movie back when I watched it. It really stuck with me ever since.

I watched the theatrical version and yeah, it's nonsensical and doesn't hint at much. After that I had a lot of fun going through this site and reading the whole thing. Just don't mind the dated layout.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had read that the film is really about God making an "oopsie" in the portal, and he is trying to correct the mistake. But now I see that's just one interpretation of events: "There is a driving force behind the Manipulated's behaviour... although we never find out what it is for sure. God is one of the most popular ideas mooted, the film does use religion at many points. The story uses lots of religious symbols and often points to the idea that you follow God's channel to decide your own fate."

Still, the entire idea of what the film is really about is kind of lame and contrived. I liked it more as an interpretations of Donnie just having some kind of magnificent foresight into one possibility for the world, and he chooses another path.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie. I just hate the part where they talk about "cellar door" and then he later sees a cellar door. It's cheap and feels like seeing the magician at work from the behind the scenes. It kind of reveals what the movie has done all along. Insert a phrase and then later have it pay off.

Yet, That's the only time I notice it so it must've done a good job.

Great movie, try watching Southland Tales with a very, very, open mind.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I would still argue that the DC is better even for first viewing, there's still enough mystery to left you wondering about the story afterward but in the DC you have actual information to work with.
That's cool. Personally, I think the DC is just too much stuff for a first viewing. I think you should get a chance to process the film and then, if you should choose to take a deeper reading of it, check out the DC.

Oct 31, 2017
That's cool. Personally, I think the DC is just too much stuff for a first viewing. I think you should get a chance to process the film and then, if you should choose to take a deeper reading of it, check out the DC.
Yeah maybe one of the criticisms I have of the DC is that it trows a little too much lore at you all at once and it's clear that the original movie wasn't built to show that much lore so the DC struggles a bit to fill the gaps, nevertheless I still vastly prefer that to the randomness of the theatrical

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
My friend and I were really into movies -- especially horror movies -- in high school and before, and hadn't heard about Donnie Darko. Then, one night we were reading a magazine (Rue Morgue maybe?) and there was a review for it. I remember the line saying something along the lines of "This is the movie you'll be watching when your parents start to question your sanity" or something like that, so obviously our interest was piqued. We rented it and watched it.

I fell in love with it and it became my favourite movie for some time. It's still one of them, but it's been a while since I've watched it. I understood most of it the first time, but watching the Director's Cut really nailed things home. That cut goes too far with revealing things, but is still good.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering he even screwed this up with the director's cut, the answer is clearly "blind luck"...
One hit wonders are truly enigmas. Maybe stepping back for as long as he has has led to some realization. Maybe not.

Which of his movies are bad? I never understood people who say he's a hack. I actually feared originally that Donnie Darko would just be the movie he put everything he had to say in and he would then never go on to make anything original again, but Southland Tales and The Box proved the guy has a crazy imagination, a unique take on science fiction themes to offer, and a strong sense of style.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been my favorite film for a looong time...really dig the story, atmosphere and characters.

lemm

Oct 30, 2017
I never understood people who say he's a hack. I actually feared originally that Donnie Darko would just be the movie he put everything he had to say in and he would then never go on to make anything original again, but Southland Tales and The Box proved the guy has a crazy imagination, a unique take on science fiction themes to offer, and a strong sense of style.

I sorta agree. I can see why people might think he's a one hit wonder but I'd love to see a new project of his - especially now that he is older, he was just so young when he made his first features. He has a unique style and if he can rework the narrative to not completely alienate his audience, he might be able to pull off another classic.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie. I just hate the part where they talk about "cellar door" and then he later sees a cellar door. It's cheap and feels like seeing the magician at work from the behind the scenes. It kind of reveals what the movie has done all along. Insert a phrase and then later have it pay off.

Yet, That's the only time I notice it so it must've done a good job.

Great movie, try watching Southland Tales with a very, very, open mind.
You disliked that they talked about the words "cellar door", and then later in the movie there was a cellar door? Do you know how nonsensical that sounds out-of-context?

I think the great thing about Donnie Darko is, on your first viewing the movie throws details at you, and suggests (using music and whatnot) that they're important, but these details are nonsense and they don't fit together, and you're forced to wonder if this is all just following the madness of a teenage boy whose meds aren't working anymore. And then it all comes to a head and the pieces start clicking together and turns out to be some sort of crazy weird sci-fi thing. On a second viewing, things start to make more sense. There's stuff to discover in the movie.
Like how Donnie Darko really is a superhero name.

The Director's Cut seems to get way too far up it's own ass about explaining the one true interpretation of the movie for the people who were too dense or uninterested to follow the Theatrical Cut. Which seems like a bad idea because the movie became a cult classic based on the fun of trying to piece the story together, not the story itself (which was laid bare in the Director's Cut). IMO, the movie would have been better served with the Director putting his energies into the DVD extras, rather than a Director's Cut.

Oct 25, 2017
This movie will always have a special place in my heart. I watched it for the first time in high school with 3 other friends in the middle of the night and none of us knew anything about it. We ended up spending an hour after the movie was over trying to figure out the time travel stuff. Was a ton of fun. Don't watch S. Darko, OP