• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I like how you avoided all the points where I mention how much time in the game I had.

Answer the question though and feel free to quote me and not avoid me, do you think that I was talking about the whole story when I constantly mention that I have only played 20 hours. This is doubling down on a bad take and its frankly embarrassing.

I believe everything I wrote is true to the first 20 hours of the game which is the context in which the entire op is written. Tell me I am wrong that the first 20 hours dont play like that. If it gets better thats fine, I say that too which you also conveniently leave out, but dont tell me that 20 hours in and not getting character development isnt a thing that can cause people to become disinterested.

Should I just have not talked about the story at all? I just dont get an opinion? If the story was good I would still play the game, but it is a contributing factor as to why I quit the game. I talked about it cause it was relevant to my experience. The story in the first 20 hours imo sucks, its bad. But apparently if I say that I mean it never has the potential to get better (even though I said it did). Why are you getting worked up over things I never said or implied?
I wouldn't listen to him, because it doesn't get better, it only gets worse. Plot thread after plot threat gets horribly mishmashed with other events that coherence isn't there. Plot "twists" are spoiled long before the "twists" even happen, there is no payoff to be had because it's all just very lazy, predictable writing that's been done a hundred times before. There isn't a single event in the entire story that happens without you already knowing in advance that it would happen. It plays on common tropes and sticks to them like glue, because it's Dragon Quest. DQ games are known for this, playing it super safe, never experimenting with anything, never exploring outside the boundaries of it's basic storytelling aspects, and gearing it for kids. It doesn't help that many aspects of its writing are very weak, and poorly told. Many conversations are forced on you without any dynamic or natural flow to them, or any respect to events that precede them. The seams are constantly exposed in the writing, inconsistencies constantly pop up everywhere, big "plot points" are massively overblown in act 2 and carry no consequence or importance.

None of it gets better, this game is an exercise in a lot of mediocrity and poor execution, even 150+ hours in there is nothing that isn't played super safe, for kids. That's what it is, that's DQ games. Super basic, vanilla JRPG tropes with no deviations or experimentations.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't listen to him, because it doesn't get better, it only gets worse. Plot thread after plot threat gets horribly mishmashed with other events that coherence isn't there. Plot "twists" are spoiled long before the "twists" even happen, there is no payoff to be had because it's all just very lazy, predictable writing that's been done a hundred times before. There isn't a single event in the entire story that happens without you already knowing in advance that it would happen. It plays on common tropes and sticks to them like glue, because it's Dragon Quest. DQ games are known for this, playing it super safe, never experimenting with anything, never exploring outside the boundaries of it's basic storytelling aspects, and gearing it for kids. It doesn't help that many aspects of its writing are very weak, and poorly told. Many conversations are forced on you without any dynamic or natural flow to them, or any respect to events that precede them. The seams are constantly exposed in the writing, inconsistencies constantly pop up everywhere, big "plot points" are massively overblown in act 2 and carry no consequence or importance.

None of it gets better, this game is an exercise in a lot of mediocrity and poor execution, even 150+ hours in there is nothing that isn't played super safe, for kids. That's what it is, that's DQ games. Super basic, vanilla JRPG tropes with no deviations or experimentations.
Im not even so much in the debate of whether it gets better or not, cause really at this point im out and im not going to pretend to have an opinion on how the rest of the game goes.

My point is the story in the 20 hours I played it didnt grab me or push me to keep going. Thats it. If people really think im judging the whole game's story on 20 hours need to reread the op, this is ridiculous

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I did enjoy the time with the game and while I dont 100% agree with your points I do see where you are coming from. The music had a serious negative effect on my enjoyment of the game and as you said the music not be orchestrated was one thing, but the poor quality and lack of variety is the much bigger issue. They need to move on from the current composer. He has lost it, especially when compared the masterful DQVIII soundtrack.

Your opinion on the feedback while in combat is something I agree with. RNG stitched me up and made me rage in a number of occasions against bosses, it's even worse on hard.

Overall the battle system is fine and while I understand DQ is the classic JRPG, it needs to move on a bit and it needs to introduce some QOL changes to its turn based system.

The story is ok and the characters are pretty decent overall IMO. But I think alot of the scenes suffer due to the music.

So to sum up, I really like the game. The biggest issue for me, by far, is the poor quality and lack of varied music. It genuinely hurt the experience for me... a lot.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I could rant for hours on some of the awful aspects of this game's battle system and how encounters like DORA on hard really hammer home how poorly designed/tested they are.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, even more because many of what you said I see as positive but I can accept that DQ isn't for everyone.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
We'll just have to agree to disagree. i'd never read 1/4 of a book, or watch 1/4th of a movie and state if the story is good or not... any amount of things could happen in the remaining 3/4ths...
Those mediums aren't even comparable. You're really telling me that after a 1/4 of a game you cant tell if the gameplay is good? The combat systems? Completely factoring out the story, which seems like the only thing you're judging a game by. Ive never played 20 hours of a game and not known if it plays great or if the music is good or if the characters are worthwhile to continue.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

This is not the case. Dragon Quest VII was an adventure game disguised as a JRPG involving multi-generational storytelling, who did that ? It then changed into a massive open world in DQ8, DQ9 was a local coop JRPG experience with full customization, DQX is a MMO. In the same timeframe Persona barely budged since 3, Dragon Quest had reinvented itself three times. Name one (1) JRPG series who did that in the same timeframe other than Final Fantasy.

And the writing is great, it has almost always been great in the series. You just have to see how other games handled apocalypse the way they did like FF15, who only uses it as a backdrop for emotional payoff, compared to DQXI who actually uses it in a similar way that Final Fantasy VI with the World of Ruin, that makes use of its cyclical design to focus on worldbuilding and making it a lively world based on movement. The way you explore and re-explore the world of Erdrea allows for great stories to be told in a way that is engaging and has weight because you don't just get thrown new stories your way, you get genuine follow-ups to what you've experienced before, and a way to see them to their conclusion as well as a way to change the outcome based on your experiences. The Hotto story of the town leader living with the pain of her son being the calamity of the town is very well executed, the origin story of Hero through the lens of his vengeful father still sticking on to this world with incredible visual design

20181229001432_1e0kkt.jpg

It is even the first time that I really feel Dragon Quest is coming on its own as a collection of universes where actors are used and repurposed in the same way it is done in comic book superhero universes. There's so much to unpack in this game. It is a mistake to think of the game only for the plot twists, the game excels about what it does with those twists to drive the story even further in the three acts and how it recontextualizes the story and the world of Erdrea.

Which one of his criticisms is flipped on its end after the 20 hour mark?

Obviously all of them when you are 15-20% into a massive game. There are so many challenges ahead and the battle system obviously opens up significantly through the game. The story has so many remaining beats, there isn't a single vignette that has seen its resolution, characters haven't had their backgrounds and resolution, there is still a major key character waiting to be recruited,

20 hours of DQXI is this. Do you really think it has nothing to offer in the future ?

qsdfdfsvwkmw.png

No, you're conflating engagement with gratification. Gratification is indeed, as you mention, payoff. The gratification is the climax, the point and end of the journey. Engagement is that the player is willing to undergo the journey itself, to be part of the story, to be a willing participant and happy to be there until the eventual payoff.
I'm not saying that if the payoff takes 20 hours or more the game is automatically bad. I'm saying if the journey is bad - and for the OP it clearly was - that is a very bad start. And imho, a game would need one hell of a payoff for me to play 20 hours if I hate every one of those hours playing and coming out as worth it.

Now I don't hate DQXI, I enjoyed it, but disliked many things about it that caused this to be my least favorite DQ game (including spin offs). And this game does not start of slow, it's not that the OP played for 20 hours and stopped before he got to the good part. He played the good part and did not enjoy it.

The DQXI story is a bad story because it offers up only an illusion of change, there's lip-service to a world in motion but it all falls flat, the world proves to be as static and without consequence as can be. It slaps you in the face with it's ridiculousness to such an extent that you'll lose any absorption the story had on you.
For example, the end of act 1, at the moment where you expect success, you suffer a big defeat. It would have been a lot better if the game would have been able to make me feel if I was somehow at fault in this, that I could or should have done differently to prevent this, but still, it's easy to see where they are going with this: You do the classic hero stuff, and in doing so you destroy the world.
The start of act 2 hammers this home, you see the destruction both on a large scale, and in smaller scale with scared kids left alone to go hungry. You are presented an insurmountable task in a desperate world,... for one story beat. After that you lean that nothing has changed, that the world is all as you left it, that every town is still there. That people that asked you for a bunny costume before the end of time, are still there doing nothing else but waiting for you to bring said costume.
And this continues throughout the story, whatever happens you'll quickly learn there's no consequences at all, like in act 3 when suddenly there's some magic and don't look now but we can do stuff we couldn't do before, o whatever.

This is again something that I dislike, if it only looks like I'm given options but am forced into the direction anyway. It's not so bad if they do it in such a way that you'd really want to give the correct answer, but here for example I did not want to help that prince with cheating so I meant to say no. When the game did not allow it, it was a slap in the face.
I remember the first game, where the final boss also asked me a question, at the time I felt he made a very reasonable offer and I accepted it. And instead of a victorious ending where I ruled half the world, I got a game-over screen, but at least it made me make my choice.

How is it that nothing has changed just because you can keep doing sidequests ? Vignettes are all about this, you even get to feel the loss at a personal level, and it is a moment where your party has to rely on their strength to become better and the sight of the world makes them realize that they need to put out their regrets behind them before it is too late. The characters you come back to see all deal with grief and loss at some level and how it has impacted their lives.

And again, it is not my mission to push him to play further. I didn't feel that the game wasn't good for the first 20 hours, that he drops the game is entirely fine. I do not agree with the premise that the game is bad or that one has to push through and I am not arguing on this point, I'm arguing that the game has much more to offer than it already does. What happens several hours later is not what the same than what happens at the 20 hours mark, which is entirely expected of a JRPG and DQXI does it better than most at offering new things and changing itself constantly. DQXI is not bound by a rigid structure.

20 hours isn't enough to experience what the game has to offer, this is not a ridiculous claim.
Stopping after 20 hours is entirely fine, this is not a ridiculous claim.
Both of these statements can coexist in my opinion.

Minastepes

May 3, 2018
Kisiljevo
The only point i agree is about music.
Was my first DQ and had a blast.
Got platinum trophy and now i want the switch version.
Kotaku review by Tim Rogers really put me in the mood

OP
OP

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the OP but trudged through to completion like I normally do with DQ games to fulfill the nostalgia in me.

Oct 27, 2017
It plays on common tropes and sticks to them like glue, because it's Dragon Quest.

Mind you i only played DQ VIII and Xi but comparing both i find DQ XI story much more interesting.

It feels safe until after Act 2 where i didn't see Serenica being the Guardian of Time, or Morcant betraying the First Luminary and becoming Mordegon, or discovering what those white little beings are. The part where you reach the Tower of Time with all these little ones reaching the top of the tower or just standing there is quite emotional and visually beautiful too.

Those are not earth shattering twists, but they are good enough to keep the story forward even during the last part.
That is one of the reason why i prefer it to VIII.

I should add i didn't finish entirely the game yet, in case you would like to discuss ending.

I'm at the part when i have to fight
Calasmos

Last edited:

Endrix

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2018
How is it that nothing has changed just because you can keep doing sidequests ? Vignettes are all about this, you even get to feel the loss at a personal level, and it is a moment where your party has to rely on their strength to become better and the sight of the world makes them realize that they need to put out their regrets behind them before it is too late. The characters you come back to see all deal with grief and loss at some level and how it has impacted their lives.

[...], I'm arguing that the game has much more to offer than it already does. What happens several hours later is not what the same than what happens at the 20 hours mark, which is entirely expected of a JRPG and DQXI does it better than most at offering new things and changing itself constantly. DQXI is not bound by a rigid structure.

20 hours isn't enough to experience what the game has to offer, this is not a ridiculous claim.

It's not the fact that you can still do sidequests, it's that there are sidequests that conflict with the story point that leads into Act 2. The side quests are people with mundane requests, and cataclysm should change them, but they still have the same wishes as before. Still looking for an ingredient for soup, or a pretty flower. Nothing to indicate that the full extermination of every human and the loss of every soul to the afterlife is somehow in progress and already well on its way. Yes, some characters talk about change, but other characters prove nothing has changed. The start of Act 2 tells you everything is different, shockingly so. But the more you see of the world, the more you'll see all is well. The very beginning of Act 2 for example has you believe the town you are reborn in is entirely destroyed and its inhabitants killed when the magic bubble fails, but after a boss fight a bit later you can just go there like nothing happened.

And the game does not change after 20 hours. It does not go stale after 20 hours, it changes just enough for people who are enjoying it to keep interested. The story continues a bit, you get a few more skills. It does not change fundamentally so that people who hated the first bit, would love the second bit. For some people it might click at some point, but I could point at nothing that makes the game after a certain point a radically different experience than before that point.
You don't experience everything the game has to offer in 20 hours, but you do get a proper sample.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle

And again, it is not my mission to push him to play further. I didn't feel that the game wasn't good for the first 20 hours, that he drops the game is entirely fine. I do not agree with the premise that the game is bad or that one has to push through and I am not arguing on this point, I'm arguing that the game has much more to offer than it already does. What happens several hours later is not what the same than what happens at the 20 hours mark, which is entirely expected of a JRPG and DQXI does it better than most at offering new things and changing itself constantly. DQXI is not bound by a rigid structure.
Jasper's entire role in act 1 is spoiled in Snifleheim for no reason at all whatsoever, ruining any tension and buidup that existed in the lead-up to the end of act 1. That was the first moment I actually considered putting the game down when the writing literally treated the player like a child that needed to be warned about an upcoming "twist" just so they wouldn't be too surprised by it. And this is not the last time the game does this.

Act 2 is an overblown mess of lies and inconsistencies in its storytelling that does not differ from Act 1. You get treated to a series of cutscenes and expositions at the end of Act 1 detailing how "the world is destroyed" and "most of humanity is wiped out" and all this other apocalyptic nonsense, and for the first segment with Heliodor it tries to play it out like humanity is on its last legs, even renaming a town to "Last Bastion" to try and portray this as humanity's last stand against extinction, with the most stilted and mechanical dialogue from the NPC's you could imagine with everybody referencing "The Hero" this and that, despite them having shown you a cutscene of "The Hero" prior to this which is not a mystery to the player at all. Followed promptly by every instance of "The Hero" being replaced by Hendrick once it formally shows his face in the next cutscene, just like you'd find/replace text in a word editor. The rest of the cobblestone people are the most poorly written characters with how forgotten they were for the entirety of act 1 and then unceremoniously brought back now as if nothing happened to them at all. In fact they only have nice things to say about how Hendrick treated them so well while they were locked up in the castle. There's not even an emotional moment for Gemma, the childhood love interest, the girl who literally "cried all night" at the beginning of the game when MC was leaving cobblestone, who hand-crafted a charm for his journey, and promised to wait for him to come back etc. etc. She literally says "I can't believe it's really you. You know there's someone else who will be even happier to see you," and then runs off to lead you to MC's mom and never speaks to you again. I was appalled at how poorly the writing treated her.

And not even an hour later the entire human extinction plot thread is resolved in the most anti-climactic and deflated way possible after spoiling the 8th character joining and a pointless encounter with Jasper who feels the need to pretend to try to kill you, then transforms into a demon and leaves? You're then sent on your way to travel the rest of the world, a world that is... completely fine. Literally everywhere you go carries on like nothing has happened, every town is fine and unchanged, everybody is alive and well, there is nothing wrong in the world and there is no tension anymore in anything that's happening. They couldn't even be bothered to make any modifications to the towns themselves, just a few patches of burnt grass in the fields outside and that's it. Like the entirety of act 2 is a glorified afterthought to send you on a second journey through all the same areas of the world just so you can visit some of the locked places they wouldn't let you into the first time. Also Jade is the most forgotten party member of your team, literally just snaps out of some mind control and goes "Oh hey guys, let's be off then." There is no feeling of "loss at a personal level,", it's literally skipped over and forgotten.

And don't get me started on how they pulled a KH3 with MC and his "luminary" status inconsistencies in act 2, that was one of the most infuriating aspects they pulled.
They spent an entire long sequence at the end of act 1 showing off the dark lord taking MC's luminary powers, the mark on his hand dissolving away, your ability tree gone, uses said power to unlock the tree, destroys it, and casts you off into the ocean, while mermaid queen laments your powerlessness. Not even halfway through the heliodor section the mark on his hand is back as if nothing happened, but still no powers, and then you go off to towards Dundrasil and have that meeting with the Seer who tells you verbatim "You can't take away power, that's just not how it works," despite the entire sequence of the mordegon doing exactly that. Finally culminating in a time-travel sequence with MC's dad where the punchline is "You never lost your powers, it's just sleeping inside of you, just wake it up." Poof, MC not only regains all of his luminary powers, but also a lot more.

And this is just a few vignettes I can think of off the top of my head, because much of what happens just disappointed me so much with how predictable and in-your-face it was with spoiled foreshadowing that I blocked some of it from my mind.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm really impressed that someone can really say that 20 hours is not enough to know how a game experience is. To me it sounds ridiculous, and shows that the game pacing is poor. You can get the basic idea of how the game will be after finishing the first story arc after Heliodor no problem.

And no, OP, it doesn't get that better, considering that the game is separated in 3 arcs that use the same cities, the same field areas and the same music most of the time. 3 fucking times. The starting hours of Act 2 and some later story arcs are better than anything in Act1, but most of the content in Act 2 is boring and recycled from Act 1, so it's not great by any means. And the last dungeon of Act 2 is painfully long.