• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wish I had the time to get into it. I have way too many single player games to think about pouring hundreds of hours into an MMO.

I'm still downloading the free trial regardless and I'll give it a whirl. I haven't gotten lost in an MMO since Lord of the Rings Online.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
About the questing in wow?
Yep. Questing in wow is MOSTLY the same shit it always was. vehicles are an ok gimmick once in a while, but the content of wow quests is still mostly kill 10 things. FF questing RARELY makes you kill more than 1-3 of something, and actually relies on sensible storytelling, letting your other various types of objectives handle the mundane murder count if you desire.

Wow throws in quests now and then with vehicles/gimmicks, or something like "KEep the light battery charged so you can see!" this xpac, but that is not ACTUALLY any more entertaining than just killing 10 things, at the end of the day the wow quest system never deviates enough to make it more interesting, and questing remains the worst part of the experience. FF isn't afraid to make you do quests, alone, that involve actual mechanics and are entirely possible to fail. It's night and day as far as entertainment value goes.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Oh damn, perfect timing OP. I'm busy with the Stormblood content patches myself and hope to be up to date by the end of the month.

Speaking of Shadowbringers expanding on the lore that came before, which raid stories are recommended to do before starting it?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just came back to the game last month, recently beat the "Base" Stormblood and going through the 4.x patch content now. Excited to soon get to Shadowbringers which everyone is raving about.

I see the good and bad with this game.

I originally quit towards the end of the Heavensward patches -- because once you run out of story there is really nothing to do except farm mounts or high end raid. You could say that is true of all MMOs, but I find FF14 in particular has strange zone design that doesn't really motivate you to be in them after you are done with the story, apart from Beast Tribe stuff. This is partially down to the game having to (unfortunately) accomodate for consoles, but that kind of design is just always going to hamper the experience.

I also feel the ARR problem is very real. Back when I originally played it, I really had to struggle to make it to HW. I'm glad I did, but I almost didn't make it multiple times. Luckily they are apparently addressing this somehow in the near future, but my hope is it is not just them thinning out the amount of quests as I truly don't think that is the entire problem.

The real problem is that the game is so scared of alienating people, that it eases people in TOO slowly. As you mention in the OP, you didn't really start feeling like you were doing something until level 30. That's kind of crazy. For someone really into it, level 30 may be hit fairly fast. But for someone trying to decide if they even like this game, getting that far pressing only 2 - 4 buttons is a big ask (and it's essentially that for EVERY class to that point). Even then, you don't -really- start to get a sense of what the jobs are truly like until you hit 50 (as anyone higher level can still attest when they are level synched for some dungeon below that and are back to pressing only a few buttons).

Those negatives aside, I agree fully that the combat really shines in the boss encounters and the dodging that is required -- which is just as important as attacking. It feels very refreshing compared to most MMO boss design despite it adhering to the same basic "don't stand in the fire" principle. Square has done a good job at making even 4 man dungeon bosses feel like impressive raid bosses -- and the actual raid bosses come off even more impressive. This gives the average player a very satisfying experience that they don't get in other games in the genre unless they join a high end raiding guild: dealing with real mechanics and not just "Tank and Spank". And because FF14 makes it so clear what you have to do in any given in encounter, the learning is very natural. I love that about the game.

The biggest asset, of course, as everyone knows, is the story. But I want to highlight something you didn't really. It's not just the main story. It's ALL the stories. The absolute dedication to story above all is admirable. Every single major side -thing- to do in the game has its own story. Every single set of raid dungeons from a given expansion has its own story, for example. The daily quests you can do from "beast tribes" you come across all have their own story -- which gives you something to play them for other than just the mount I am sure you want at the end of it. Each dungeon, no matter how small, has its own story, even if its part of a larger one. Every job has its own story, with new entries every few levels. And there are of course complete long sidequest chains (and sequels some of those chains as you go through the expansions). I love all of this. Many are just as compelling as any given part of the main story, sometimes even more compelling.

I want to specifically give a large shoutout to the "Return to Ivalice" raids from Stormblood, which I'm playing through now. The story is extremely satisfying and rewarding (and they got Matsuno back to help with it!). Any fan of any Ivalice game owes it to themselves to experience that plotline.

I urge anyone who does decide to get into this for Shadowbringers to take their time and try to explore all of these side stories too. Shadowbringers may well be the best story of them all (I am going to find out shortly), but everything (after ARR) is also good to great and totally engaging. There's no reason to rush it. Plus by time you get there there will be newer patches (and more story) out anyway.

Last edited:

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Oh damn, perfect timing OP. I'm busy with the Stormblood content patches myself and hope to be up to date by the end of the month.

Speaking of Shadowbringers expanding on the lore that came before, which raid stories are recommended to do before starting it?

Above any and all else, do the Crystal Tower 24-man raid and storyline, since the Crystal Tower itself is heavily involved in Shadowbringers - it's even flat-out visible in the trailers. :)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wish I had the time to get into it. I have way too many single player games to think about pouring hundreds of hours into an MMO.

I'm still downloading the free trial regardless and I'll give it a whirl. I haven't gotten lost in an MMO since Lord of the Rings Online.
You don't have to pour hundreds of hours to enjoy FFXIV story. You would need that amount of time if you want to min-max at endgame though.

What about the quest about killing Titan named "Quake me up before you O' Ghomoro"?
Give_It_to_Me_Raw_MAIN_SCENARIO_QUEST.jpg

tumblr_oy33xxAQ7I1u9t5z9o1_500.png

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to pour hundreds of hours to enjoy FFXIV story. You would need that amount of time if you want to min-max at endgame though.
Disagree. It really does take hundreds of hours to play all the story content. Just the way the game is paced. Going from starting the game to the end of Shadowbringers is definitely a couple hundred hours minimum even just doing the MSQ -- and most everyone will surely do side stuff too (as they should). But again, it's only a problem if you rush it, or are trying to rush it. You will get frustrated. People should take it at their own pace, stop playing if they feel bored, and come back to it at their leisure. The game isn't ending any time soon, so they'll continue to add to it for the foreseeable future.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Disagree. It really does take hundreds of hours to play all the story content. Just the way the game is paced. Going from starting the game to the end of Shadowbringers is definitely a couple hundred hours minimum even just doing the MSQ -- and most everyone will surely do side stuff too (as they should). But again, it's only a problem if you rush it, or are trying to rush it. You will get frustrated. People should take it at their own pace, stop playing if they feel bored, and come back to it at their leisure. The game isn't ending any time soon, so they'll continue to add to it for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, that's what I'd encourage people to do as well. Don't rush it, enjoy everything the game has to offer. But a lot of times when reading FFXIV topics in here, people aren't willing to do that. They want to get to the best part asap.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'd encourage people to do as well. Don't rush it, enjoy everything the game has to offer. But a lot of times when reading FFXIV topics in here, people aren't willing to do that. They want to get to the best part asap.
The sad, unfortunate, thing is that ARR really is a slog for multiple reasons outlined in both the OP and the post I made earlier (plus a few others). It's a hard ask for people to devote 50 or so hours (minimum) to something before it actually "gets good". And yeah, it DOES get really good, really fast, as soon as Heavensward starts. And there is now much more game after that point than before that point.

It's just going to resonate with some immediately, and others it won't and they'll have to keep coming back/piecemealing their way through the slog until they get past the base game. Or they won't come back, and they'll never experience what people rave about. But that's okay too, not everything is for everyone.

The hard truth is there's no way around this. Even if you buy the boosts, it ends up skipping you PAST Heavensward and Stormblood now in level, which you absolutely don't want to do. So, those are basically useless. Just have to hope their solution (which is still almost a year away) is somewhat decent. But I can't imagine they're going to entirely fix the issue even if they make it a bit better.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just can't finish the part between ARR and Heavensward. I think I fought King Mogry last or had to fight him next. Maybe in the future... They really did themselves a diservice by not cutting useless fluff...

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017

Give_It_to_Me_Raw_MAIN_SCENARIO_QUEST.jpg

tumblr_oy33xxAQ7I1u9t5z9o1_500.png

The FATE "It's not Lupis" where you fight a crab named Cancer

There's "Metal Gears Rising" and "Metal Gears Revengeance" where you fight a bunch of machines.

"Ifrit bleeds, we can kill it"

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The FATE "It's not Lupis" where you fight a crab named Cancer

There's "Metal Gears Rising" and "Metal Gears Revengeance" where you fight a bunch of machines.

"Ifrit bleeds, we can kill it"
I have a lot more I want to write and say about how great FFXIV has been over the last month since I've started playing, but for the moment let me just throw in another great quest title:

"Everything Little Thing She Does is Magitek"

Those English writers having a hell of a time. I wonder what the puns are in Japanese and other languages.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It has been very fun seeing new people get in the game recently as someone who's been playing it for 6 years now. The game was already a top 3 FF for me during Heavensward, but with Shadowbringers, I can definitely say it's the best story in FF and easily my favorite game in the series. And this is coming from someone who is generally disillusioned with the modern state of the franchise.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's a shame the barrier to entry is so high. People form such a bad impression from the early ARR stuff, it makes you want to spoil stuff like the Niddhogg fights and Alexander/Omega raids to show how cool things get later.

Yea the game does make you teleport around as an errand boy/girl for a long time but getting a good synergy with a raid group against a properly challenging boss with interesting mechanics makes it all worth it eventually

Also I agree theres way too much nodding in the game. You can always predict when someone is going to nod at someone in a cut scene, they look so silly and dumb

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I'm currently in post-Stormblood and the experience has been stellar. First MMO I enjoyed and first MMO I ever subbed to. I love all the characters and story. Shit is in my top 3 FF of all time and most likely in my top 10 games of all time now.

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017
I've played FF14 on and off since Heavensward came out, but got back into it hard with Shadowbringers and yeah, it's absolutely one of my favorite Final Fantasy games now.

It's not without its warts, but overall I can't say enough about how much I'm enjoying my time with it these days.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That was easily my favourite moment in the entire game, until

The Crystal Exarch summoning the WoL&D's allies right before the final battle against Emet-Selch became my new favourite scene.

Exactly the same. This game has multiple "best moments in a FF game"
Yup, I'm currently in post-Stormblood and the experience has been stellar. First MMO I enjoyed and first MMO I ever subbed to. I love all the characters and story. Shit is in my top 3 FF of all time and most likely in my top 10 games of all time now.

It reached top 5 for me and I'm trying internally to decide if it beat out TWEWY.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
So I've gotten a couple of classes to level 30 and while I can see SOME of the game's appeal....

I just really dont understand how people defend how egregiously bad the main quest of ARR is. I needed to get this off my chest

I can completely understand people enjoying the story, since after all everyone has different tastes, but the notion that the meandering monologues with occasional cutscenes that makes use of poorly timed animations using stock emotes is somehow anything above mediocre baffles me.

It's like everyone who plays the game has stockholm syndrome and playing through the main quest while they evangelize it feels like being gaslighted.

I can understand having a main quest that gets a bit slow at times, but what I don't understand is why the game is *intentionally* designed to waste your time. The overwhelming majority of quests simply tell you to a) go to location X and talk to NPC Y, who will likely tell to talk to NPC Z (repeat ad nauseum), or b) go to a mark on your map and right click on it so that your avatar can "interact" with it (a progress bar titled "interacting" literally appears on the screen and fills up over a couple of seconds). What's especially bad is that the game makes you talk to NPCs in the same room seperately. It could just, I dunno, include them in the conversation, but no, you have to run back and forth between them like they're refusing to speak to each other. It's as if the quest designer was under the impression that FFXIV is a game where traveling is the primary mechanic.

And it's not like the idea of MMOs with time wasting drivel quests are unheard of, but FFXIV makes a specific point to REQUIRE you to do massive amounts of these quests in between the parts where the plot actually moves forward, and the game simply does not like you do things until you've done the main quest. You can't do that level 30 dungeon until you spend 2 hours running errands for some NPC that you will never see again. It's not like these quests have aged poorly. These just crappy design by almost any standard unless exclusively following a quest marker is the peak of your gameplay experience.

Every once in a while the main quest will give you a scenario where it basically puts you in an instance for a particular fight that advances the story, usually involving a cutscene or 2.

These scenarios -and I cannot stress this enough- CANNOT be completed with party members. If you are in a party when you try to initiate one of them, it will tell you that you need to leave your party. Which makes the MAIN QUEST of this MMORPG.... single player. And not just "oh once every 5 or 10 levels there's something you can only complete solo" but rather the majority of THE FIRST 50 LEVELS OF THE GAME.

Like, I wanted a game I could play with my friend and we *literally* cannot even do stuff together 90% of the time. You get to do a dungeon together like 3 times before you're at the level for the next dungeon, and then you need to spend 3 hours doing filler quests so that you can spend another half hour running a dungeon together. How..... is this just a normal part of an MMO?

Then I started hearing from people that you can actually buy your way out of the main quest of ARR for around $20, which is, like, buying another game on top of the full price of FFXIV just so that you dont have to be subjected to it. I was reading about it and found this interview with the lead designer:

Where he explains that the price tag isnt because they want to make money but rather because they dont want the story skip to feel required, and that if it were too cheap people would feel pressured to do it.

But I dunno, maybe just design content that isnt so terrible that people want to pay you to get out of it?

I REALLY want to like this game (or maybe I just want to give it a try), but I dont know how to get past the fact that I literally cant just... play the game because the designers made a conscious decision to force me to spend hours upon hours just talking to NPCs in the right order.

/rant

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To say that the base game is "good" in any way is preposterous. It is terrible and only gets worse towards the end. However, if you're going to play FFXIV its necessary to play through it for the world building, don't buy the skip.

Once you hit 2.5 the game does a 180 and improves from there. Definitely worth a try if you have the patience.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
To say that the base game is "good" in any way is preposterous. It is terrible and only gets worse towards the end. However, if you're going to play FFXIV its necessary to play through it for the world building, don't buy the skip.

Once you hit 2.5 the game does a 180 and improves from there. Definitely worth a try if you have the patience.
What exactly is 2.5 in the scope of content?

Also isn't it possible to get world building from watching the cutscene compilations or something?

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
So I've gotten a couple of classes to level 30 and while I can see SOME of the game's appeal....

I just really dont understand how people defend how egregiously bad the main quest of ARR is. I needed to get this off my chest

I can completely understand people enjoying the story, since after all everyone has different tastes, but the notion that the meandering monologues with occasional cutscenes that makes use of poorly timed animations using stock emotes is somehow anything above mediocre baffles me.

It's like everyone who plays the game has stockholm syndrome and playing through the main quest while they evangelize it feels like being gaslighted.

I can understand having a main quest that gets a bit slow at times, but what I don't understand is why the game is *intentionally* designed to waste your time. The overwhelming majority of quests simply tell you to a) go to location X and talk to NPC Y, who will likely tell to talk to NPC Z (repeat ad nauseum), or b) go to a mark on your map and right click on it so that your avatar can "interact" with it (a progress bar titled "interacting" literally appears on the screen and fills up over a couple of seconds). What's especially bad is that the game makes you talk to NPCs in the same room seperately. It could just, I dunno, include them in the conversation, but no, you have to run back and forth between them like they're refusing to speak to each other. It's as if the quest designer was under the impression that FFXIV is a game where traveling is the primary mechanic.

And it's not like the idea of MMOs with time wasting drivel quests are unheard of, but FFXIV makes a specific point to REQUIRE you to do massive amounts of these quests in between the parts where the plot actually moves forward, and the game simply does not like you do things until you've done the main quest. You can't do that level 30 dungeon until you spend 2 hours running errands for some NPC that you will never see again. It's not like these quests have aged poorly. These just crappy design by almost any standard unless exclusively following a quest marker is the peak of your gameplay experience.

Every once in a while the main quest will give you a scenario where it basically puts you in an instance for a particular fight that advances the story, usually involving a cutscene or 2.

These scenarios -and I cannot stress this enough- CANNOT be completed with party members. If you are in a party when you try to initiate one of them, it will tell you that you need to leave your party. Which makes the MAIN QUEST of this MMORPG.... single player. And not just "oh once every 5 or 10 levels there's something you can only complete solo" but rather the majority of THE FIRST 50 LEVELS OF THE GAME.

Like, I wanted a game I could play with my friend and we *literally* cannot even do stuff together 90% of the time. You get to do a dungeon together like 3 times before you're at the level for the next dungeon, and then you need to spend 3 hours doing filler quests so that you can spend another half hour running a dungeon together. How..... is this just a normal part of an MMO?

Then I started hearing from people that you can actually buy your way out of the main quest of ARR for around $20, which is, like, buying another game on top of the full price of FFXIV just so that you dont have to be subjected to it. I was reading about it and found this interview with the lead designer:

Where he explains that the price tag isnt because they want to make money but rather because they dont want the story skip to feel required, and that if it were too cheap people would feel pressured to do it.

But I dunno, maybe just design content that isnt so terrible that people want to pay you to get out of it?

I REALLY want to like this game (or maybe I just want to give it a try), but I dont know how to get past the fact that I literally cant just... play the game because the designers made a conscious decision to force me to spend hours upon hours just talking to NPCs in the right order.

/rant
They are working on changing how long 2.0 takes to complete

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
What exactly is 2.5 in the scope of content?

Also isn't it possible to get world building from watching the cutscene compilations or something?
2.5 is the fifth chunk of patch content released for A Realm Reborn. 1.0 is the original FFXIV (now long gone), while 2.0 refers to the base 1-50 content of ARR. 2.1 through 2.5 are the major patches released between expansions, each of which included new story content. Then Heavenward is 3.0, and the subsequent patches were numbered 3.1 through 3.5. As of now, the game is currently at 5.0.

You would get the major story beats from just watching the cutscenes, but you would miss a lot of smaller scenes that aren't in the cutscene viewer, as well as a lot of plot-relevant NPC dialogue that is outside of the cutscenes. How important that is is up to you.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Man I fucked up so bad when I took advantage of the free trial. It's pretty much all I've been playing since then. Even picked up Shadowbringers. Currently making my way through the 2.0+ quests and I'm actually finding them to be pretty enjoyable. So far it's been pretty much all world building but I find the world of FFXIV super interesting so it's no skin off my back.

Game really is incredible.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite Final Fantasy story in the damn near 30 years of me playing the series. I played it after the disaster of a story that was Final Fantasy XV and man what a palette cleanser for the series. It's one of the best put together stories ever for the series.

I just stepped into Shadowbringers and holy hell do I love it.

Ardbert's story kind of makes me teary eyed man. Just all the good him and his team tried to do and now the world spits on them. Then I got kind of choked up when Seto spoke so fondly of him and how much he wanted to let him know how proud he was to be his friend and how he couldn't live in the world of man due to the misguided hate and contempt that everyone held for Ardbert and his team. Ardbert's and Seto's story is so good man.

Last edited:

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I mean the story is super-good but the gameplay is so repetitive and shallow, the endgame is just a duty finder loop, completely uninteresting, I recently went back to FFXI instead and it's so much more interesting.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
EMET SELCH IS THE BEST FF ANTAGONIST EVER.

Ardbert stuff and my weird attachment to my MC gave me manly tears

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
EMET SELCH IS THE BEST FF ANTAGONIST EVER.
Yeah, he kind of really is. The Level 80 Trial might be the best "final boss" in the entire series, as well. Even if you were doing it by yourself in a single-player game, it would be as epic as the best anything else in the series has to offer, but doing it with 7 other people makes it special in a way that's hard to describe. Healing through that set of ultimate attacks at the end of the fight is just too good.

In any case, he's absolutely right up there with Kefka and Sephiroth for me. I realize it takes HUNDREDS OF HOURS to get to Shadowbringers content, but it's going to feel really strange seeing "Best of Final Fantasy" discussions going forward that don't include a lot of things about it. Like best soundtrack. Or best ending. Or best antagonist. Or best final boss. All that shit.

The journey is so fucking worth it and I legitimately feel bad for people who can't make it past the awful quests between ARR and HS, but I don't blame them.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
At this point the content for ARR was made, like, from 2011-2012? Or 2012-2013? Then the patches throughout 2014.
Basically most of ARR was made while still keeping 1.0 alive and trying to glue together a new game out of what they already had and could still add. So, yeah, in 2019, after 3 expansions and gaming itself evolving (not really MMOs cause they are a dieing breed outside of asian grind games) ARR content is just not up to snuff in any way. When it had just released, it was alright. It kinda rode the wave of "holy SHIT I can't believe they turned FF14 around!".
But we also already know the devs are working on changing ARR content around and making the new player experience better. That'll happen next year.
In the meantime, you also have to be just amazed at the simple fact, that even with that content basically "holding back" the game all these years, FF14 is a GROWING MMO. it's only gotten more and more players over the years. That wouldn't even be normal if ARR was "great" content, but with how "bad" it is? And people still play through it and stick with the game and love it? Shows there is something special there with the game that resonates with people.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
One can wait a year, or one can grit their teeth for a little bit. ARR is a good by-the-numbers jrpg, with the following 3 sticking points:

- leading up to your second proper boss fight, when you are asked to go on a series of inane, aggravating and insulting series of quests; even though the world actually gives you a (terrible) reason as to why they do it, it's still the pits

- a sudden jump in the required level between the MSQ quests (47 -> 49), which entirely breaks the pacing as the ramp-up to the end of ARR 2.0 has already started after the third proper boss fight at around level 44

- the filler quests of 2.1 ~ 2.3, where even though there's a lot of stuff being resolved, plot hooks are being laid down, etc, it could have been done with a lot less filler/fetch quests.

Patch 2.4 quests is when the train starts to pick up steam once again, as this is the lead-up to the insanity of Patch 2.55 and Heavensward, and it never really stops after that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the story is super-good but the gameplay is so repetitive and shallow, the endgame is just a duty finder loop, completely uninteresting, I recently went back to FFXI instead and it's so much more interesting.

After 300+ hours I'm still enjoying the gameplay loop. As for endgame repetitiveness I still haven't hit it, there is a ton of content I still haven't even seen yet. Have zero worry about telling someone to get into it cause it gets repetitive after 350+ hours or something.

It's my favorite Final Fantasy story in the damn near 30 years of me playing the series. I played it after the disaster of a story that was Final Fantasy XV and man what a palette cleanser for the series. It's one of the best put together stories ever for the series.

Ardbert's story kind of makes me teary eyed man. Just all the good him and his team tried to do and now the world spits on them. Then I got kind of choked up when Seto spoke so fondly of him and how much he wanted to let him know how proud he was to be his friend and how he couldn't live in the world of man due to the misguided hate and contempt that everyone held for Ardbert and his team. Ardbert's and Seto's are so good man.

That part of the story was so good.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Ardbert's story kind of makes me teary eyed man. Just all the good him and his team tried to do and now the world spits on them. Then I got kind of choked up when Seto spoke so fondly of him and how much he wanted to let him know how proud he was to be his friend and how he couldn't live in the world of man due to the misguided hate and contempt that everyone held for Ardbert and his team. Ardbert's and Seto's are so good man.

Sorry for double post but here is a picture related to your spoiler that made me feel things
v1inc6smfze31.jpg

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for double post but here is a picture related to your spoiler that made me feel things
v1inc6smfze31.jpg

Look at that pride man lol.

Seto's voice actor did a fantastic job of conveying how much he enjoyed being around his former master and it made me get kind of choked up when he spoke about how Ardbert was mistreated. Man, I never that I'd care so much about this character when he was introduced in Heavensward.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of this is true. The gameplay is tab targeting with hotbars yes, but each job plays completely differently with actual rotations(unlike say, WoW), also endgame is not a "duty finder loop". You can do roulettes yeah, but you can also do hunts, raids and trials.

Also FFXI combat is way more repetitive than FFXIV.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have this. I need to play it. That epic OP has convinced me to start sooner rather than later.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
None of this is true. The gameplay is tab targeting with hotbars yes, but each job plays completely differently with actual rotations(unlike say, WoW), also endgame is not a "duty finder loop". You can do roulettes yeah, but you can also do hunts, raids and trials.

Also FFXI combat is way more repetitive than FFXIV.

Come on man, it plays exactly like WoW, each class is locked to a rotation. Raids and trials are also part of the roulette unless you are doing higher difficulties but those are more of the same and hunts are not particularly fun. For me it's a very shallow game, I played it both before and after Reborn and at every expansion, you are entitled to your own opinion but please don't invalidate mine.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is the other stuff isnt that interesting? Like i don't wanna spend an evening logging, or gathering herbs, or playing triple triad all evening. Or doing fetch quest or kill ex number of mob quests for leves

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on man, it plays exactly like WoW, each class is locked to a rotation. Raids and trials are also part of the roulette unless you are doing higher difficulties but those are more of the same and hunts are not particularly fun. For me it's a very shallow game, I played it both before and after Reborn and at every expansion, you are entitled to your own opinion but please don't invalidate mine.
But you didn't state it as an opinion, and I am allowed to disagree. If you are treating the rotations like WoW rotations you are not playing well and high end content is not "more of the same" unless you think all combat is the same.