• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a game where, basically six months before release, according to a 4chan leaker who leaked the entire plot, the story was in disarray with constant rewrites. All those flashback scenes? They were created late in development, and they didn't really know what to do with them so they just stuck them wherever they'd fit. I know games go off the rails sometimes. But FFXV was really, really, really off the rails.

Also, yes, JARED. Freaking Jared. Everything wrong with FFXV's approach to story and utterly disconnected narrative arcs can be summed up with Jared.

It's crazy how much better Omen was than the actual game. Final Fantasy XV was a game badly in need of a complete reboot. And possibly being handed off to a completely different studio. It shouldn't have been in development for so long with such fundamental structural problems and a lack of narrative direction afflicting it.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
The only good story part is the last few chapters.

Everything else is omitted and you couldn't help but feel it's to rush the game / budget cuts. All those awesome things in trailers aren't in the game. The invasion of Insomnia in the beginning becomes a newspaper article for crying out loud.

There's no build up. You just hear about major events in the background. You get random setpieces thrown around.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
When even the fucking collector's edition case shows a scene that's not even in the final game but a trailer ... you know the game is beyond saving.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sad thing is FFXV at its core arguably has the most affecting story in an FF game in a long time. but the whole thing is just minced and scrambled and reassembled into the slapdash narrative it is

if you can kind of put your brain on autopilot it's not so bad.

Oct 30, 2017
The story in FFXV and the way it was told is without a doubt the biggest lost potential ever lost in a game.

Just remembering the way it was written and directed makes me very upset...

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The story is a hot mess and is all over the place. When you need an anime, a movie, several different reading materials and a art book to fully comprehend what the main story is, you fucked up somewhere.

Also OP, pay attention to those fairytale books you find around the world, they're actually incredibly important to a character's motivation and the plot.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Its hot fucking trash littered with like two good scenes. My hatred towards the game just seems to grow and grow as time passes..

Oh... and wait till you get to the Leviathan fight. I always thought to myself "it cant possibly be as bad as people say." Let me tell you, it is. It is worse than what people tell you.

And in the later chapters you get to fight the hardest boss fight in the series: corridors. Its not that the segment is hard, its just the most tedious 2 hour copy pasted corridor segment you have ever "experienced."

Mar 18, 2018
When you leave in high tech world where everyone has mobiles and as such and you learn about the
attack on your country's capital and your father death
from a fckn newspaper, then you know the story is shit

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol I love how they didnt explain at all what touching those stupid stones were for and then randomly you can summon.

I'm trying to imagine how things could get that much worse because I seriously have no idea what is happening besides two countries at war

Not only that, but a lot of plot points make no sense.
If you don't care about the battle system, my advice is to quit and save precious time for better game lol.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The transition to the "where's our car" scenario right after the Titan fight is hilariously jarring.

No joke, I literally thought that the game had gone into a parallel universe or the whole Titan fight was a dream or something because the character's reactions just didn't make a single lick of sense.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Its hot fucking trash littered with like two good scenes. My hatred towards the game just seems to grow and grow as time passes..

Oh... and wait till you get to the Leviathan fight. I always thought to myself "it cant possibly be as bad as people say." Let me tell you, it is. It is worse than what people tell you.

And in the later chapters you get to fight the hardest boss fight in the series: corridors. Its not that the segment is hard, its just the most tedious 2 hour copy pasted corridor segment you have ever "experienced."

LMAOOO I love this post. I had the same reaction with Leviathan (and all of Chapter 9, really). I couldn't believe this was the "epic midpoint" of the game.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Till this day, i still don't get it. I get the gist of it but there are still so many holes in the story that anything could have hapoened really.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Stop playing this game and play something else more worth while. Life is too short for this shitstain.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My favourite thing in this stupid mess of a game is Noctis and Luna communicating through writing notes through magic dog messengers despite cell phones existing in this world

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about it. Just sit back, relax, and let the best Final Fantasy, by some on this forum's estimation (not me!), wash over you. It's a wild, 40 hour ride of complete nonsense and fucky combat.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
BUT IT WILL MAKE SENSE

If you read the light novel, watch the YouTube miniseries, sit down for the prologue and theatrical movie, get the demo, grab the DLC, and play the game again 2 years later for more scenes. >___>
The fact that this isn't a joke makes me sad. :(

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story really suffers from it being open world. I know you can do open world stories well, if the story centres around meeting new people and new places; but FFXVs story is not about that. It's pure plot. The only important characters you meet are the playable characters. As a result any kind of build up in tension is killed by the open world structure.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Were the wounds Gladius suffered ever explained? In his DLC maybe?

You know that's right!
-_-

I think my main problem is that the main group are so unimportant to everything else that's going on, and it's really bizarre. You just happen to stumble into the plot, almost like the bit on Forest Gump where he's going into all the key real life moments.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
Final Fantasy XV´s plot is a hot mess; a prime example of bad patchwork. Holy moly, I was never more disappointed in my entire life when it comes to media. Seriously, just thinking about the game again makes me ANGRY haha

I have played the vanilla version back in Dec. 2016 btw. And that infamous chapter 13 made me cry, no joke. I was sitting in front of my TV when all of a sudden my eyes started to get wet out of frustration lmao

OP, ignore the story and everything around it. As you say there cleary is great potential there but it is wasted so hard, it´s mind-boggling.

Oct 27, 2017
Its all bullshit OP dont try to make any sense of the story. I will never give this game a pass on how horribly it was handled.

Oct 27, 2017
You know that's right!
-_-

I think my main problem is that the main group are so unimportant to everything else that's going on, and it's really bizarre. You just happen to stumble into the plot, almost like the bit on Forest Gump where he's going into all the key real life moments.
Come on now, Noctis is unimportant? Group exist as companions that share the same misadventures, but the plot revolves all around Noctis and that's clear from the very beginning.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, this is the reality of modern Final Fantasy storytelling, i.e. a fragmented, incoherent mess.

If I have to watch a 2hr movies and some anime shorts in order to have enough context to have a chance at understanding the story in your game then you dun goofed, Square Enix....!

Square needs to give FF to a fresh crop of new, young games directors and writers. The existing guys have entirely lost their mojo from their FF6/7/8/9/10 days.

Last gen I suspected it was a problem with Japanese games in general, but the incredible titles we've had from other Japanese devs so far this gen have only gone to prove how fucking useless FF-writers now currently are.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Come on now, Noctis is unimportant? Group exist as companions that share the same misadventures, but the plot revolves all around Noctis and that's clear from the very beginning.

Luna is probably more important than Noctis until the time skip/last hour of the game, and she's already done almost everything you do by the time you get to her, then gets killed minutes later. Until that point, the gang is just playing catch up, while getting sidetracked with stuff that doesn't really matter. After the Leviathan fight, Noctis starts to actually feel like the main focus of the story.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Every now and then I think to myself maybe I should give FFXV a shot and then a thread like this one pops up and I read about the story being a hot mess (and story is pretty much what drives me to play Final Fantasy) and I think maybe not.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is a game where, basically six months before release, according to a 4chan leaker who leaked the entire plot, the story was in disarray with constant rewrites. All those flashback scenes? They were created late in development, and they didn't really know what to do with them so they just stuck them wherever they'd fit. I know games go off the rails sometimes. But FFXV was really, really, really off the rails.

Also, yes, JARED. Freaking Jared. Everything wrong with FFXV's approach to story and utterly disconnected narrative arcs can be summed up with Jared.

It's crazy how much better Omen was than the actual game. Final Fantasy XV was a game badly in need of a complete reboot. And possibly being handed off to a completely different studio. It shouldn't have been in development for so long with such fundamental structural problems and a lack of narrative direction afflicting it.

Omen is frankly terribad and even though I'm not a fan of FF15, we definitely got a better game than whatever this edgemaster trailer was about.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah the CG movie is mandatory viewing to even begin to understand the awful story. It's basically the intro cutscene to the game.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute do you watch that shity movie in anime? Cuz that's always the real story is at

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They put a huge portion of their story in a separate cgi movie.
What insane mental hoops does a developer have to jump through to think this was a good idea?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every now and then I think to myself maybe I should give FFXV a shot and then a thread like this one pops up and I read about the story being a hot mess (and story is pretty much what drives me to play Final Fantasy) and I think maybe not.
You shouldn't because it's a bad game really bad not good

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Yeah about the story..
It's .. inconsistent. Even with watching the movie I had problems following it and many parts didn't make sense.

BUT. The last part of it is good enough for me and I enjoyed the game + the gang quite a bit and I do not regret playing it.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't help that I also don't think the game is enjoyable to even play. Coupled with an incoherent story, this game is one of the worst I've played in recent years.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao praise be to Jared, just starting up chapter 6

Edit oh god this stealth mission is horrendous

Last edited:
OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished chapter 7 that was a pretty useless chapter all things considered, an entire chapter that was just a fetch quest

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Man just wait until party members start to go off on their own 1 by 1 and come back an hour / 2 hours later with a new scar and NOTHING is talked about / explained regarding their absence unless you play the DLC. And then also try and remember that we didn't get the DLC until months and months after many of us already completed the game. And then remember that the final chapter of the game was literally changed with the Royal edition (same ending, but the lead up to it was significantly changed).

What a fucking mess.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man just wait until party members start to go off on their own 1 by 1 and come back an hour / 2 hours later with a new scar and NOTHING is talked about / explained regarding their absence unless you play the DLC. And then also try and remember that we didn't get the DLC until months and months after many of us already completed the game. And then remember that the final chapter of the game was literally changed with the Royal edition (same ending, but the lead up to it was significantly changed).

What a fucking mess.

I just had gladio leave "to take care of business". It was so random that I assumed they added it with the DLC and it was different before...

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I just had gladio leave "to take care of business". It was so random that I assumed they added it with the DLC and it was different before...
Nah that's literally what happened in the main game months before the Gladio DLC was added in. In fact, even if you have the DLC, the Gladio portion was never added in to the base game. You'll have to know beforehand to exit back to the main menu and play the DLC separately yourself, or finish the game and play the DLC later afterwards.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Speaking of Gladiolus and missing content, does the game itself ever tell you what happened to his dad, or would you have to watch the movie? I'm pretty sure neither Gladio nor Iris mention their dad at all in the main game, which just really grinds my gears. Most people agree that the camaraderie between the bros is the best part of XV, but I can't get into it because the bros themselves feel hollow. Ignis has an uncle, and I have no idea what happened to him. And then there's Prompto.

So it all goes back to Jared; I have nothing against butlers, but I'm pretty sure most people would be at least mention their dead dad, instead of solely their butler. It don't make no sense to me.