• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story is bizarre

Very little happens on screen in the first 7-8 chapters, there's a few big events but they seem quite spread out. And then suddenly chapters 9 onwards are just these insanely big story beats with 0 context or connective tissue. Everything just... happens, sequentially. It's bizarre.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, the leviathan fight for all of its epicness was not a well designed boss fight at all with the camera swinging wildly there being no difficulty, and it being extremely repetitive. And was I supposed to give a shit about luna when they literally had her finally become a character 10 min before she died?

Also what the fuck at Ignis somehow being hurt completely off screen

This game needed to be scrapped and pretty much completely wiped outside of the main characters and their interactions. The gameplay also never evolved from the first 3 hours of the game.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, the leviathan fight for all of its epicness was not a well designed boss fight at all with the camera swinging wildly there being no difficulty, and it being extremely repetitive. And was I supposed to give a shit about luna when they literally had her finally become a character 10 min before she died?

Also what the fuck at Ignis somehow being hurt completely off screen

This game needed to be scrapped and pretty much completely wiped outside of the main characters and their interactions. The gameplay also never evolved from the first 3 hours of the game.
Guess what
it gets worse

Can we finally acknowledge that this game deserves none of the fucking passes that people give it. Everything about it is bad.
This game and the NiNoKuni 2 threads were making me rip my hair out.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess what
it gets worse

Can we finally acknowledge that this game deserves none of the fucking passes that people give it. Everything about it is bad.
This game and the NiNoKuni 2 threads were making me rip my hair out.

I've given the game the benefit of the doubt and while it is far from the worst thing I have ever played it shocks me that this game somehow had the word of mouth to reach 8 million copies sold. Still I at least enjoy some of the characters and interactions in this game whereas I despised everyone in FF13

Edit: and now I've saddled myself with a slow walking blind man, what in the fuck

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The gameplay is shallow shit that also feels like it's tacked on together in the last few months.
It's pretty much just all spectacle and flash without any substance.
Not to mention the item system literally makes it a joke. And magic ... seems like they just try to put it because FF needs magic.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously in shock right now at this blind Ignis bullshit. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I'm at chapter 15 and I'm still lost but I Iove the gameplay and the characters so I'm just enjoying the quests.

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I'm seriously in shock right now at this blind Ignis bullshit. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?
I think it was implemented to show you how much of an impact your teammates have on your success which I fell worked in that aspect but overall yea that part is aggrevating.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Go buy the DLC that explains it and get an alternate non-canon ending, because that's a thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also look forward to something random happening to Prompto, since they need to setup a DLC for him too, like Gladio leaving earlier.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Right now you should be up to the part where the blind man pulls the squad aside to tell them his secret plan to defeat the big green monster: he's going to throw something at it.

The blind man.

He's going to throw something at the monster.

The monster he can't see.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I hate how what we got was none of the stuff from versus. Everything about ardyn was such an asspull.
What gets me about this is that the game, as late as the Episode Ardyn trailer, really relies on the Versus stuff. They did this crossover thing and I swear they were recycling Stella stuff for the interactions between Noctis and Sarah.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right now you should be up to the part where the blind man pulls the squad aside to tell them his secret plan to defeat the big green monster: he's going to throw something at it.

The blind man.

I just saw it. That was one of the dumbest scenes I've ever seen in a video game

And fucking god if I had the option to kill gladio I would. He has been nothing but an annoying piece of shit for really no reason the game gives you

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
You have no idea how good this thread makes me feel. I've honestly felt this way about FF games for a very long time, but it was hell watching people defend FF XV like it was a good game with a good story and feel like a crazy person for thinking it was probably the worst game I'd played in years. Other FF games after... I dunno, 6, maybe 7, had things I could like and defend... but for XV to be even worse than XIII...

It feels so good not to be alone in this.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
An hour before, no laughing at the idea of a Titan even existing. No stranger asked them to follow along and come talk to the Titan. And they're like "okay". And the fight itself is horrible. Hacking away at the fingernail of this over with gigantic enemy.

I'm with you. This was my WTF moment in ff15.
I'm struggling to make heads or tails with your comment D:

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
What gets me about this is that the game, as late as the Episode Ardyn trailer, really relies on the Versus stuff. They did this crossover thing and I swear they were recycling Stella stuff for the interactions between Noctis and Sarah.
I don't even want to watch the trailers anymore.

The game should have just taken place in Insomnia.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm struggling to make heads or tails with your comment D:

Omg my post there is terrible. Im sorry. I should go fix it. I often use speech to text. It makes lots of mistakes. I try to check over my posts and fix them, but i post alot and some get out like that. :<

It should look like this:

"An hour before, they are laughing at the idea of a Titan even existing. Then, some stranger asks them to follow along and come see the Titan. And they're like: "okay". Then the fight itself is horrible; Hacking away at the fingernail of this overly-gigantic enemy."

Still not a very good post lol. But it shouldn't cause a headache now. Sorry for leaving screwed up posts, guys!

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
FFXV is like a soup someone gave you all the ingredients too but only gave you half the recipe. Then later the same person tries to sell you the remaining scraps of the recipe after the soup didn't live your to your expectations

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017

The blind man.

Since we're talking spoilers, nothing is more stupid than knowing you have to play Episode Ignis to find out how that happens, and then immediately afterwards the game makes you play through the worst section in the entire game while Gladio guilt trips you for something out of your control.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Omg my post there is terrible. Im sorry. I should go fix it. I often use speech to text. It makes lots of mistakes. I try to check over mt posts and fix them, but i post alot and some get out like that. :<

It should look like this:

"An hour before, they are laughing at the idea of a Titan even existing. Then, some stranger asks them to follow along and come see the Titan. And they're like: "okay". Then the fight itself is horrible; Hacking away at the fingernail of this overly-gigantic enemy."

Still not a very good post lol. But it shouldn't cause a headache now. Sorry for leaving screwed up posts, guys!
Its fine! And yes this makes alot more sense now, I agree with that part infact

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You have no idea how good this thread makes me feel. I've honestly felt this way about FF games for a very long time, but it was hell watching people defend FF XV like it was a good game with a good story and feel like a crazy person for thinking it was probably the worst game I'd played in years. Other FF games after... I dunno, 6, maybe 7, had things I could like and defend... but for XV to be even worse than XIII...

It feels so good not to be alone in this.

the worst part isn't that the game's awful. the worst part is that squeenix was financially rewarded for creating an awful game :) ...

Mar 21, 2018
The worst part is comparing it to its contemporaries such as the witcher 3 and realizing how far this game is from greatness. Meaningless side quests, tons of huge plot holes, missing content from the title it was inspired by (versus) and this is coming from someone who bought two ultimate editions by accident because I thought they ran out.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then I think to myself maybe I should give FFXV a shot and then a thread like this one pops up and I read about the story being a hot mess (and story is pretty much what drives me to play Final Fantasy) and I think maybe not.
Personally I loved the game, its maybe in my top 3 or at least top 5 FF game. Storytelling is disjointed but I liked it overall, it's very simple story and no convoluted Nomura mess. Good things: Soundtrack, combat (for FF game), monsters, visuals, cast (my favorite), lots of side content (dungeons, royal weapons, hunts. Side quests are bad). Ending made me cry which is rare as I never really cry.

These threads nowdays end up like this because it's 2 years old game and people who liked it have moved on already, only those most salty ones still give a shit and post in these threads.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I want you to give us your top five most likely Prompto twists. I want to see how close you can get to calling it.

I mean, how stupid could the twist be, right? Surely you will be able to figure out what his story twist is, right? Surely it has been carefully setup throughout the course of the game?

Please, indulge me, what are the five most likely twists for Prompto?

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Every now and then I think to myself maybe I should give FFXV a shot and then a thread like this one pops up and I read about the story being a hot mess (and story is pretty much what drives me to play Final Fantasy) and I think maybe not.
Well the story telling is a hot mess, even bigger than XIII. The story can work in the direction they chose but the time contrain and messy development cycle pretty much got where we are in this thread
The only reason I cared about XV was the world/setting itself, and played through the entire game just to see how much SE has to offer on that part. If you want the story, oh boy prepare for some digging outside of the game, plus a the extra media everyone has been talk about

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Try to enjoy the gameplay and worldmap and sence of discovery, and forget about the story.
Kingslaive made me super exicted for FFXV and then wow, nothing.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I still cry if I even see the name Jared anywhere. Just that sidestory alone makes this game a masterpiece.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly makes the gameplay good. I initially started out liking it thinking that as they added more parts it could create for a decently complex battle system but it's just the same cycle over and over. Dragon Quest might have a more complex battle system. And oh god what they did to magic in this game still infuriates me

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly makes the gameplay good. I initially started out liking it thinking that as they added more parts it could create for a decently complex battle system but it's just the same cycle over and over. Dragon Quest might have a more complex battle system. And oh god what they did to magic in this game still infuriates me

I agree wholeheartedly. Honestly FFXV is one of the worst combat systems out there. It's my least favorite of any Final Fantasy for sure.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
It's a fun game, has some really cool moments, but the story is abysmal.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed FFVX but it has serious problems with the storytelling. I actually like the lore and story of the world and especially the villain but you get almost no information about him in the actual game. That's part of the reason I'm looking forward to the last DLC. The story had such potential for one of the best villains in the series but it was almost wasted. Doesn't take take into account the Luna issues. It would have been interesting to see what another year of development could have done to fix some of this. I realize there was no way they could keep postponing it though.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Given how bad the the altissia scenes were ,I dont think any insomnia invasion sequence couldve made the game better.

The dark truth is that this game was doomed from the start by very bad creative direction in general.

Both its gameplay and story are fundamentally screwed.

The battle design shows that key decisions made at the basis of the game were entirely wrong and off the mark.

Its sad because because clearly SE didnot spare any resources and a team of technically talented artists and programmers worked on XV.

But the overall decision making process guiding the project was terrible.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's a beautiful game with a lot of heart, great character interaction, and some of the best art direction ever. Some moments in the game are genuinely classic. It's just not complete.

I do think that with the final Ardyn DLC coming, the game should feel well rounded enough. But no question: it'll never be fully cohesive and meet the expectations of the 10 year wait nor reach the potential that it's art direction and trailers showcased.

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God I just got to the prompto "twist". Lmfao

You know I see exactly what they were going for with the binding of ignis and the prompto reveal in terms of strengthening the brotherhood but it all falls so flat when there was not an ounce of setup this entire game. Prompto never once seemed like he had a huge secret that others shouldnt know and in the grand scheme of things why would it have ever mattered. It would have been far more interesting if something like he was struggling with his sexuality in an empire that frowned on that

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I agree wholeheartedly. Honestly FFXV is one of the worst combat systems out there. It's my least favorite of any Final Fantasy for sure.

Its absolutely one of the worst combat systems basically in PS3&4 generations.

Its the aspect that angered me the most in this game actually,not the story.

It angered me because it wasted such detailed monsters and beautiful animations.
Oh my God I just got to the prompto "twist". Lmfao

You know I see exactly what they were going for with the binding of ignis and the prompto reveal in terms of strengthening the brotherhood but it all falls so flat when there was not an ounce of setup this entire game. Prompto never once seemed like he had a huge secret that others shouldnt know and in the grand scheme of things why would it have ever mattered. It would have been far more interesting if something like he was struggling with his sexuality in an empire that frowned on that

Buy the DLC to know more!

Spoiler: Its still terrible.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

never 5get

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the end I thought it was a good idea for a FF story

It is very badly told though :(

After completing the game and the dlc (essential more or less) I went back suddenly i understood what they were going for

Really liked the game in spite of the horrible storytelling. The music especially is up there with the best FF (yes seriously)

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The story really suffers from it being open world. I know you can do open world stories well, if the story centres around meeting new people and new places; but FFXVs story is not about that. It's pure plot. The only important characters you meet are the playable characters. As a result any kind of build up in tension is killed by the open world structure.
I think the reliance of the car was the reason to make the open world so big, and in the end, the car was useless. Their "need" to make this a "road trip" themed game is what hindered pacing. Had there been no car, the world could've been slimmed down considerably. It also would spared us that whole beginning segment of pushing the car to Hammerhead, then hunting MOBs until we got enough gil to pay for the repairs. And I know, the real beginning is the Ifrit battle, but that whole "IDEA" to put THAT in the beginning is bullshit. That's like those movie where you see the survivor characters at the end of the story saying, "Well, you wanna know how I got here...? *flashback to the majority of the story* Fuck that shit!

I like FFXV (enjoyed it more than all the FFXIII games), but I am disappointed in the story.