• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Since this past november I've been trying to get into the Final Fantasy series. I started with VI and I've been going through every mainline game from there. While I thought VIII was a complete disaster, and VI was just OK (even if at the time the storytelling was impressive, it doesn't hold up today and the combat is just braindead), I've really enjoyed VII, IX, and X, specially VII, which has become my favorite JRPG that's not from the Trails series.
But despite enjoying most of these games a lot, the one I was really excited to play was XII. I like detailed world building in my RPGs, as well as heavily political fantasy stories, and this one was the only one that was going for that type of experience. So far it has both delivered, and dissapointed me on equal measure, to the point that I don't know if I like the game or dislike it.

The thing I'm clearly enjoying is the plot. It took a while to get more interesting than "Star Wars with a political focus", but it did, and now there's a major internal power struggle in the Empire, the looming threat of a war with a 3rd kingdom, shaky alliances where every side has to compromise... It's great, and the characters are also pretty good, with some caveats (people weren't lying that Vaan has barely any role in the story, and Penelo even less so. Still, they're not annoying or even bad characters, but their role in such a political type of story is baffling and it's impossible to shake the feeling that they shouldn't be there. Balthier and Fran already fill the role of "along for the ride" much better).

On the other hand, while the world building is a major step up from previous entries, I still find it lacking at establishing a belivable world. For example, the game mixes airships with gunpower similar to WW2 aircrafts, but these type of machine guns don't appear outside ships. It doesn't affect ground warfare at all, which makes no sense. Things like the lack of mentions of any city beyond the ones directly involved in the plot also bothers me. It makes the Kingdom of Dalmasca feel like its only the capital. I'm 100% ok not seeing other cities and towns from the kingdom, but some of them need to be mentioned, I need to see NPCs talking about them or something similar because otherwise the world still feels shallow and limited like the previous FF (where the whole world is comprised of maybe 6 towns and 3 nations).

But while the worldbuilding dissapointed me, it's still better than what came before, and I enjoyed the other ones despite this issue. My problem with the game, and what is hampering my enjoyment to the point of not being sure if I even like it, are the excesive amount of explorable zones.
FFXII drops both the world map from classic entires and the hallways of X and goes for a much more common nowdays way of structuring a JRPG, with explorable zones where there's enemies, chests (or equivalent), and nothing else of note. While this approach has its detractors (particularly among the Tales fanbase for some reason), I actually prefer it to the world map. It allows for areas to create a much better sense of place and scale, for starters, and they are usually not too big for them to outstay its welcome, at least not consistently. And that's exactly my problem with FFXII, all outdoor areas have outstayed its welcome for me.

Here's an example of what I mean:

latest

latest

These two areas are back to back, and after that there's a lenghty dungeon as well, it's exhausting to play. There's too much repetition visually, there's not enough enemy variety, and there's really nothing to do or see beyond fighting and opening chests, which are randomized this time, making them less exciting than ever. If it wasn't for the fast forward mode I think I would already dropped it, not because it's the worst of the bunch I've played (that's FFVIII and I finished that one), but because I'm just going through the motions most of the time, not really engaged on what's going on .

So right now I'm a bit conflicted. I really enjoy the story and want to see how it goes and what befalls to this group of characters. I also enjoy the world despite underwhelming me. But most of the time it's spend in lifeless areas that go on, and on, and on, and the pacing it's just a drag because of it, to the point that fast forward barely helps to aliviate the problem, and the combat can't carry the burden for so long (the encounter design it's very lackluster, which is killer for a real time/real time with pause combat system)

Anyway, I just needed to share my thoughts. I'm definitely going to continue playing and see where it goes, but man, this could have been something special for me, the ingredients were all there, but it's just not working out.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Yeah the repetition of the locations was what drove me away from it around the 20 hour mark. The gameplay itself is very good, but once again Square are found wanting when it comes to interesting worlds and good level design.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least this edition gives you fast forward. This game was a fucking chore back in the day. Such shit pacing thanks to how they made you run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run. It will never be more than mediocre thanks to it.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
The thing about FFXII is that even if you like the awkward mishmash of MMO gameplay concepts going into a single player RPG, it's still a mess of a game with deeply troubled development that cycled through more directors than any other SE project (even XV).

It puts up a front of political intrigue, but the politics of the story all end up being incredibly simplistic, with motivations that struggle to extend beyond "well I'm evil so of course I'd go and do that"

There are a lot of interesting concepts but the story simply doesn't manage to flesh them out, and we're left with this meandering feeling of trailing behind a big important plot event that never actually happens, and the plot threads leading up to the climax quickly unravel with a minor poke.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I love and hate so much about FFXII.

On the plus side are the exceptional cutscenes (outside of the CGI ones), the insane amount of side content, the job system, the music, half the cast and Ivalice itself...

But I can't stand the combat. It's an unhappy medium of MMO and turn-based, and it's so ridiculously unsatisfying. Gambits irritate me too, since they push you towards having even less to do in most battles, if you set them up properly. Something 'punchier' like FFXIV's system would make the game so much more bearable.

The story is also a bit of a mess towards the end, and characters like Fran are just boring.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
The Gambit system needs to be revisited. Not a big fan of anything else really except The re-orchestrated soundtrack and juicy Viera butts.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
If this'll put you at ease, there really isn't any other field zone that's anywhere close to the sandsea in terms of size + monotony anywhere else in the game. The level design doesn't really improve very much as you go on, though.

I definitely wish this game could better balance the passive Gambit system for party AI with something more active for the player character, like Xenoblade's Arts palette or FFXIV's hotkey system. That'd make the sort of rote level design feel less rote since you'd be "doing more" during the fights.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
The Sandsea is pretty unique in that it's sprawling and long as fuck. I can't think of any other areas that come close to it. On the plus side, once you're done with it you won't ever come back unless you're doing side stuff like hunts or crafting. Fast Forward was a godsend during that part.

FFXII is a game that I only marginally enjoyed when it first came out, but then I got the itch to replay it and it suddenly became one of my favorites. There's a lot to do, there's a lot of ways to customize your party, and hunts were a lot of fun for me.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Also, to your point about the incongruity of the airships and the world... That was a problem Matsuno, the original writer/director of the game had too. The larger, more sci-fi airships were a designers idea that the rest of the team really liked, and since FF development is typically a 'democracy' (where Matsuno would describe his approach when putting together games like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics or Vagrant Story as a 'benevolent dictatorship'), he let it through. This happened with a lot of things, until he eventually buckled under the stress and left/was taken off the project halfway through.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing about FFXII is that even if you like the awkward mishmash of MMO gameplay concepts going into a single player RPG, it's still a mess of a game with deeply troubled development that cycled through more directors than any other SE project (even XV).

It puts up a front of political intrigue, but the politics of the story all end up being incredibly simplistic, with motivations that struggle to extend beyond "well I'm evil so of course I'd go and do that"

There are a lot of interesting concepts but the story simply doesn't manage to flesh them out, and we're left with this meandering feeling of trailing behind a big important plot event that never actually happens, and the plot threads leading up to the climax quickly unravel with a minor poke.
I hated that it was a half-assed offline MMO and a half-assed single player FF. Too many systems and idea that seemed like they just tossed in for reasons. It could have been great but it was just a solid middle of the road FF. Don't get me wrong there were some great moments but overall, meh.

Oct 27, 2017
FFXII is definitely one of those games where the best of the game is something really magical: the cutscenes, the cast, the story, the music, the art direction, and the exploration. But the lows are just some of the worst in the genre: terrible dungeon and puzzle design, super slow gameplay (you can play with the fast forward button, but it can give you a headache), and the combat while fun is really complicated for no reason, especially with the gambit system).

While the remaster is really polished, I am still kind of disappointed that we didn't get a full remake instead given that the game has a lot of issues that adding a glossy coat of paint did not fix.

As for you OP, going back to older FFs are REALLY hard because of how dated so many have gotten. I mean heck, a solid 66% of the franchise came out before 2001, and then another 13% of the franchise was only available through MMO format. I would say the only pre-2001 FFs that aged well are IV, V, VII, and IX.

On another note:

While this approach has its detractors (particularly among the Tales fanbase for some reason), I actually prefer it to the world map.

As a huge Tales fan I never knew what made people so upset with this decision. It really made everything much more streamlined, and made sidequests less of a chore; especially with how terrible their time constraints used to be in previous entries.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I love XII but I agree. The map repetition gets olds and towns outside the capital feel barren. Thankfully there's speed-up.

OP
OP
Open Wound

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
If this'll put you at ease, there really isn't any other field zone that's anywhere close to the sandsea in terms of size + monotony anywhere else in the game. The level design doesn't really improve very much as you go on, though.
I didn't know I was using the most egregious example in the game, but I wasn't really trying to single out that area specifically. All areas feel a slog to go through, except for the Dalmasca Estersand I guess. The section right after the tomb of Raithwall where you go through the flooded Giza plains and Ozmone plain has been even worse tan the Sandsea if I'm being honest.

Although I would say the low point for me was the Leviathan. That shit was wack.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Most boring FF for me mostly because of the combat alone but the world and the artstyle are really good but that's it, i don't even like the story and it get worse toward the end.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me a lot when the PS2 version came out.

I'm hoping the Switch version hits me better when I get to it later this year or early next.

OP
OP
Open Wound

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I've reached the point in the story where the gang has to go to Archades, and I think I'm going to drop it. As I said before, I'm not hating my time with the game, but I'm completely unengaged by it. The pacing is just a slog and makes me zone out for very long periods of time, and when interesting things are happening, they're too short for me to be able to become engaged again. And I just don't have the energy to go through more of these sprawling areas if I'm being honest

The story has also gone in a direction I thought it wouldn't go, pretty much immediately after I wrote the OP. I thought all the political elements were gaining prominence but turns out they're used more as background than anything. The game constantly makes you go after ancient artifacts like your usual high fantasy schlock, so I've lost my interest in the story a bit too (it also seems to start focusing in some sort of man vs gods type of thing? thematically at least? Not what I expected to be honest)

Of course, dropping this game means I'll move to FFXIII and... well, I played it for about 15 hours more or less last year, and it was also a massive slog, with the aggravating factor of having a cast that can give a run for its money to the FFVIII cast in awfulness. But hey, I also played the Midgar part of FFVII last year and I was also bored by it, and now it has become one of my favorite games, so maybe I just judged XIII wrong this whole time, right? …right?

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I also dropped this game when i was halfway or so on the ps2 when it came out for the same reasons some people have already mentioned:

-I didn't like the story at all, it is weird because i loved the story in FF tactics, wich resembles the one in this game because it's also from Matsuno but i was completely uninterested in the political story and intrigues in this game. I also didn't like that Shakesperian way of talking for the characters, i found it annoying.

-I didn't like any of the characters, Van and Penelo are just there for the ride for no reason at all, the rest are just ok i guess and the only one i found interesting and charismatic was Balthier.

-All those deserts and beaches and plains and forests you have to go through looked pretty samey to me, and they dragged and dragged and dragged, they didn't have any visual identity compared to previous games in the series, they looked pretty bland in my opinion.

-I didn't like the battle system at all, it was like a strange mixture of an action rpg and turn based combat that played like a single player mmorpg and the gambit system is just me programming the game to play for itself?

I have the same feelings about the game as you OP, i didn't hate my time with the game but i was completely uninterested when i was playing it, and i have played ff7 and 10 and loved them and im currently playing 6 and im loving it too and totally wanted to like 12 because the graphics were impressive when it came out on the ps2, the real time cutscenes and voice acting were superb, that first city was awesome it looked so dense and full of life but i hated the gameplay, the story and characters, dropped it after 30 hours and never looked back.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love XII, I do agree that the amount of ground to cover can be overwhelming, and the Sandsea is especially bad about it. As for the disconnect between airships and the level of technology established in the rest of the setting, that might be the result of what the artists wanted overriding what Matsuno had in mind for things (IIRC, the design of Balthier's airship being what it was wasn't his idea either).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping the Switch port is solid. I've wanted to play this game for years but just havent been able to find the time to get started on any of the other versions. Bought it on PS4 when it seemed like it wasn't getting a PC or Vita release, then returned it when the PC version got announced soon after and I bought that, but still haven't found the time to put into it.

Hoping that finally having a handheld version will get me to jump into it finally. The GBA was my first time playing FF1, 2, 4, 5 and 6.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has some areas that are a bit of a slog...but it's still easily my favorite modern (post SNES) Final Fantasy.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Valid critiques of a clearly divisive game.

Large areas didn't bother me, because I found the gameplay loop to be rewarding. I find the gameplay to be engrossing, and it's actually other FF games that feel like a chore in comparison.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I dropped it at around the same time as well. Too much sand was literally my banal excuse, same reason with AC Origins.

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
The last great Final Fantasy ever made, and in my top 3 for the series.

I've replayed it several times, most recently with the PS4 remaster, and I still adore it. The world, the characters, the art style, the Gambit system. Just a brilliant, brilliant game.

Nov 17, 2017
Best Final Fantasy right here. Can't really understand the complaints about the overworld, I love actually being able to explore the world. Especially when you can go to areas you aren't supposed to go to yet.

I also feel like you may be premature on saying the world building is lacking. I feel like most of what you point out is nitpicking, the game has ton of lore and world building if you explore.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the game but it's definitely a gameplay and combat first, everything else kind of second experience which is quite unlike the other FF games. If you are annoyed by the extend of the outdoor areas and dungeons, you can probably safely quit because the game is largely just dungeon and outdoor crawling.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The Sandsea is pretty unique in that it's sprawling and long as fuck. I can't think of any other areas that come close to it. On the plus side, once you're done with it you won't ever come back unless you're doing side stuff like hunts or crafting. Fast Forward was a godsend during that part.

FFXII is a game that I only marginally enjoyed when it first came out, but then I got the itch to replay it and it suddenly became one of my favorites. There's a lot to do, there's a lot of ways to customize your party, and hunts were a lot of fun for me.

this. while it didn't bother me, i can see where the op's coming from. but, yeah, once you've gotten through it, that's pretty much that, afa over-sized areas goes. thing is, there was always so much else to enjoy about the game, that that single extended area never even managed to register for me as a problem :) ...

Yusuke_Kun

Sep 26, 2018
FF VIII a complete disaster? please expand on that - I'd love to have precise arguments - it's possibly my favourite ever game so really interested to see why you disliked it so much.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
I couldn't finish FFXII back on the PS2.

But with the PS4 version and the fast speed button, I had a really good time.
Just use the speed hack, it fixes the game.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Some of the best writing in gaming. Love this game so much despite it"s obvious pacing problem.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Yeah. I hunted down a post I made on GameFAQs after completing The Zodiac Age:

Might be a bit over on the time but this stage of the game very little happens with long slogs, which due to the gambit system requires very little input or strategy from the player. The below is easily a 10-15 so I'll change my my 'little to no story progress' statement in my OP to 'very little story progress'

After Bhujerba & The Lhusu Mines:

- Dalmasca Westersand > Ogir-Yensa Sand Sea > Nam-Yensa Sandsea > Tomb of Raithwall (some story)

After that:

- Giza Plains > Ozmone Plain > Jahara (minor story) > Henne Mines > Golmore Jungle > Eyrut Village (some character developemnt for Fran) > Paramina Rift > Mt. Bur Omisace (first major story in hours) > Stillshrine of Miriam

Next:

- Dalmasca Estersand > Mosphoran Highwaste > Salikawood > Phon Coast > Tchita Uplands > Sochen Palace Cave > Archades (finally some meaty story when you reach here)

I love the game, but this long stretch in the middle of the game is extremely dull, I actually gave up back in 2006 at Phon Coast as I was just bored of slogging through large areas rarely changing equips or gambits as it isn't necessary, the game is too easy - then there is little story to drive you on. I actually think the overall story is good, but the pacing in this game borders on awful at times.

This was a big issue for me, the game is such a slog at points. Add to that how insanely easy the game is and you are in for some very boring stretches, only some of thehunts form any sort of challenge.

OP
OP
Open Wound

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
FF VIII a complete disaster? please expand on that - I'd love to have precise arguments - it's possibly my favourite ever game so really interested to see why you disliked it so much.
Well, I think it's great in terms of art and the soundtrack is top of the class, so not a complete disaster in its entirety, but yeah, nothing else in that game worked at any level for me.

The most glaring issue is that the gameplay is broken in a fundamental way, so unless you actively try to limit yourself constantly in terms of character building, there's nothing gameplaywise that can stimulate me. It's not a question of difficulty either, but engagement. FFVII was also super easy and I broke that game as well, but I broke it by going for a specific playstyle by juggling materia. There's nothing interesting for me in the junction system. I can put spells into the main stats in order to make those stronger, independently of levelling. Great way of ensuring to not fiddle with anything but the attack button. By the time you might even need things like haste spells, your stats are so broken for certain characters that they can be quicker in their normal state than other characters hasted. And this is without going out of your way to break the game (I didn't play a single game of triple triad, and didn't try to keep my levels low as some people do, I just drew spells and synthesied them)

But mostly it's the narrative and its characters that I absolutely loathed. The game goes for a "coming of age" angle with its characters, and thus they decide to make them all brats (in terms of behavior I mean). This, by itself, it's not a bad decision, but it creates a problem when only Squall has a character arch. The mixture of real warfare with very childish characters doesn't work for me in this game due to not doing anything with it outside of Squall. And that's a super small pay off for me, when all the characters are so damn obnoxious.

The story managed to be even worse though. Nothing makes sense the moment you even ask a simple question, nothing is properly set up and has no pay off due to the story constantly changing focus and introducing new elements that ultimately amount to nothing. Laguna's flashbacks serve no real purpose, the second headmaster of Balamb Garden plotpoint is also just thrown in there randomnly, the whole moon monsters end up being a pointless exercise… all because the story is just about a bad guy that wants to destroy the world (through a massive convoluted plan that can't even mask how hollow everything really is) with no -explained- motivation for it.
FFVII is not perfect in the story deparment, but after how it handled it's themes of self identity through Cloud and Sephiroth, I didn't expect such an aimless and hollow narrative. Nothing makes sense, nothing has a proper pay off (narratively or thematically) and the few moments that are actually fleshed out enough (like Squall carácter and his romance with Rinoa) I thought they were not worth the investement or the suffering to get there.

Also, Seifer has to be one of the worst characters I've seen. He embodies all my problems with the game by himself. He's just a bully for no apparent reason (which would be fine if he was just a secondary character but he isn't, he's the rival archetype and the story does nothing to connect Squall and him in any meaningful way), the reasoning of him going with sorceress Edea is never clearly explained even if it can be infered, and ultimately he just drops from the story without any kind of resolution because there wasn't any meaningful reason for him to be there in the first place.

Anyway, that's the gist of why I didn't like the game. It's funny because it was my first Final Fantasy that I've ever played (I was like, 8 maybe. Obviously I didn't get very far with it, I didn't understand the combat) and the only one I had nostalgia for, and turns out it's the only one I heavily dislike of the ones I've completed.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine playing it again without the fast forward (which I did for a little bit back when it was first released). I played about 85% of it last year and loved it.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Each time I start up FF12 I look forward to the sandsea. It's the first location where I can really get into a groove with the gameplay. It feels really satisfying to get to the end. Shit, I want to play it again right now.

Edit: Also Paramina Rift.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Sandsea is when you finally have full freedom and you can go pretty much anywhere you want. Walking in FF12 is like a journey. I don't have to experience a FF where I just have to press forward to get to the next big location like it was next door, I actually have to make the trip to the place. Also Zodiac Age literally gives you the map of these two areas and you can trek through them in 5 minutes without speed-up.

In FF12 I explored a continent, not a theme park. Scavenging, finding loot, keeping monster chains and refining my core strategies is an incredibly fun gameplay loop. And the Sandsea is the only long area anyway. I'd spend all my time doing hunts and finding equipment before even reaching raithwall. I have the freedom to choose how I pace myself and this is something I respect. It's much more engaging to me than say, FF10 and FF13 for its linearity, or FF15 for an aimless and underveloped open world. I go places, I solve puzzle, I talk to NPCs saying meaningful things, I hunt looking for clues with the populace and my clan guild. FF12 is a set of interconnected systems that works with each other instead of just being a bunch of things with no relation whatsoever.

FF12 is probably the first FF where you're genuinely building towards something rather than having it handed down to you.

I don't understand the statement about cities not named in world-building, the kingdom of Dalmasca is what you see in its entirety. You visit a good part of the eastern side of Ivalice, only Rozarria is left unexplored.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who say the desert is the only part like that are really misremembering the game. It's virtually all dungeons and huge combat areas up until the very end. It's what the game is about, I'm not sure how much more clearly to phrase it. The path to
Archades
is significantly longer and ardous than the desert area. If you didn't enjoy that part, move on and play something else.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
People who say the desert is the only part like that are really misremembering the game. It's virtually all dungeons and huge combat areas up until the very end. It's what the game is about, I'm not sure how much more clearly to phrase it. The path to
Archades
is significantly longer and ardous than the desert area. If you didn't enjoy that part, move on and play something else.

The sandsea is the same area broken into two parts. The lead-up you mentioned is several areas that couldn't be more different from each other. If you want more story you won't get served, but everything else is top class. And even then what you get are gut punches story-wise and one of the loveliest rendered cities (70% into the game ! Who does that ?).

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I love and hate so much about FFXII.
Heh, I could say the exact same thing. Outside of a few issues the game is blast to play (love the combat and exploration, even if there are lot of balancing issues) but the story and characters are so underwhelming it's a freakin' downer.

Top notch presentation though, especially for the time.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
Hot take: XII has the best endgame in the series and maybe in any JRPG I've ever played. High level hunts and the hoops you have to jump through to get to some of the endgame areas make the whole thing really engaging (if you haven't gotten burned out on the game by the time you get to the end).

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Sandsea is when you finally have full freedom and you can go pretty much anywhere you want. Walking in FF12 is like a journey. I don't have to experience a FF where I just have to press forward to get to the next big location like it was next door, I actually have to make the trip to the place. Also Zodiac Age literally gives you the map of these two areas and you can trek through them in 5 minutes without speed-up.

In FF12 I explored a continent, not a theme park. Scavenging, finding loot, keeping monster chains and refining my core strategies is an incredibly fun gameplay loop. And the Sandsea is the only long area anyway. I'd spend all my time doing hunts and finding equipment before even reaching raithwall. I have the freedom to choose how I pace myself and this is something I respect. It's much more engaging to me than say, FF10 and FF13 for its linearity, or FF15 for an aimless and underveloped open world. I go places, I solve puzzle, I talk to NPCs saying meaningful things, I hunt looking for clues with the populace and my clan guild. FF12 is a set of interconnected systems that works with each other instead of just being a bunch of things with no relation whatsoever.

FF12 is probably the first FF where you're genuinely building towards something rather than having it handed down to you.

I don't understand the statement about cities not named in world-building, the kingdom of Dalmasca is what you see in its entirety. You visit a good part of the eastern side of Ivalice, only Rozarria is left unexplored.
I feel like giving this game a 2nd chance after reading this. Was very excited to play it many years ago, but ended up underwhelmed halfway through (due to things like story pacing, lack of motivation, getting annoyed by Vaan's presence in the party and so on).

I see now that you just need to play it with a different mindset than most FFs.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Giruvegan>Great Crystal>Pharos is by the far the worst section, my interest in finishing the game always starts to wane there

The trip to Archades is overly light on story but Salikawood and Sochen Cave Palace are two of my favourite areas

I think Ashe is probably the most underrated character in the series

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i'm going to revisit ffxii someday but my first experience with it was such that i basically put final fantasy on hiatus for years

i played maybe 15-20 hours and i just could not conceive of what the point of playing was, it felt like just a bunch of characters saying unrelated things about nothing of interest, the world was very brown, and none of the combat or the license board or any of that junk interested me whatsoever

i was younger so maybe i just didnt have as much patience but i would be lying if i said i thought it was a great final fantasy. i am pretty sure i really dislike it. but i should give it another shot someday

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This might be my favorite FF game due to the excellent combat system and exploration. Unfortunately I found the story and characters t be quite dull overall. If that were more inspiring it really would have been amazing.