• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Ive always been interested in this game mainly from the setting itself, cool as fuck tbh. But i was always wary that it might just be your run of the mill open world game with icons on the map etc. But i figured the setting and hopefully the characters could carry it.

Nope.

About 8 hours or so in so far, and man, i think im about done with it. Unless it gets dramatically different/better?

Ill admit the combat is pretty cool, ive played on lethal and its a pretty cool rush knowing how easily you can die and it feels good to get quick killing blows. But everything else about it is just so dull. The music is pretty forgettable (so far), the characters are totally whatever, both side and main (even Jin, who, appearance wise, is pretty bad ass, but he just seems so...i dunno, flat in everything about his personality)

And of course, as always, traversing open world in this game is just so boring. Its not the setting itself, its quite beautiful, but honestly im just fast travelling wherever possible because theres nothing interesting in the world to do. The fox dens, the haikus, all this stuff, it all just feels so pointless

I admit i gave into peer pressure because i have some rl friends who absolutely SWEAR by this game, and they know i dont like these kinds of games usually, but they insisted its not just assasins creed in old japan

Well, it definitely feels like that in many ways but with better combat.

Just another game i dont get all the praise for, i guess. I do like some open world games though, like i LOVED HZD and BOTW, this game though just didnt vibe with me at all.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I got burned out in Act 3.

The graphics and combat are cool, but its still another open world game that I played dozens of times.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
yeah, the game is pretty standard open world but the combat is good but on the other hand the stealth makes assassins' creed stealth look thoughtful

and Jin is soooooooo boring lmao

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
If you haven't liked it so far, I doubt it's gonna click later on.

Personally it was the awesome combat and the beautiful world that carried it for me. Yes, it is quite repetitive but when the gameplay loop is so fun/addictive, I don't mind that one bit

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game from start to end, including Iki. So, hard disagree. The combat itself makes it a million times better than any similar games, like AC. One of my new favorite games for sure.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the open-world is pretty bog standard, but the game absolutely OOZES charm from the art style to the gameplay. It's definitely one of my favorite PS games released last gen.

CSMITHY84

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I wrote about my disappointment at the game on reddit....by Jesus did I get roasted. Great graphics but the gameplay was so repetitive, Recruit fighter, storm Village/Castle, recruit fighter storm Village/Castle etc etc etc. I slogged through it and just started the expansion island but can't see me finishing this.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
To me, it felt like a standard open-world game but in a beautiful setting with amazing production values. It suffers from the same flaws as other games in this genre and felt far too repetitive in several areas.

The best Assassin's Creed game in years, but the game did not jive with me.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote off GoT as just another open world game when it released, but got the Director's Cut earlier this month and, yeah, it's an open world game alright, but it still managed to blow me away. I have my gripes and nitpicks, and yeah it can be repetitive, but I love just being in the world and the combat is very satisfying. Out of Sony's 1st party open world games, it's easily the best

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I just got the Platinum and I tend to agree. It's stunningly, almost uncannily beautiful and it plays very well, but overall it's mostly a shallow experience that is stretched over very thinly. The wondrous open world is mostly wasted because the way most missions are set up almost forces you to fast travel across the island instead of restricting you more organically to certain regions. You spend so much time in this game traversing the environment and traversing the environment is mostly pretty boring and unengaging, and the only reason it's bearable is because of how stunning the game looks.

And the game exhausts the types of enemies you face very early on, making combat pretty trivial one third into the game, so it becomes a nuisance more than a challenge, even on the harder difficulties.

For anyone who likes Icons-on-a-map open world games, this one might be the perfect game, but for me, I had to play it in short spurts because I'd get bored after 45 minutes or so. Which is why it took me over 2 months to get the Platinum.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
My advice to everyone playing Ghost is to mainline the story then do side missions after.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played the game myself but while undoubtedly pretty, the game seems very formulaic and boring from what I have watched.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It was a beautiful world, and I did like the story a lot, but I do think the setting that Sucker Punch made deserved much better gameplay activities. It's an incredibly repetitive game, and it's really jarring seeing more and more of that gorgeous setting yet still stuck doing the same side-objectives and platforming puzzles from the beginning of the game.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Every mission you meet someone, slowly walk to your horse while talking, ride your horse somewhere while talking, get off the horse and walk a bit while talking, then fight some dudes.

I realize this could also describe RDR2 but it didn't grate on me nearly as much there. I think I'm just extremely horsed out after last gen. No more horses please.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
I think my mine issue with the game is the ghost abilities are way too Overpowered. Taking out mongol camps with ghost abilities make the game way too trivial.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I adored the game, and was ready for more content when I finished it. It would be great if there was a randomized mongol fort mode that you could continually try to liberate. That was the most fun I had.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Loved the game. It probably has the best combat out of any open world game out there. I also fell in love with the story and the art direction, I have hundreds of screenshots because way too often I would stop to admire the environment.

AND I played more than 30 hours of Legends mode alone. So yeah, one of my favorite games over the last decade.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Its pretty tedious by even the halfway point. If the traversal and stealth werent so basic it would have gone a long way to making clearing camps as interesting as an assasins creed game.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like it took everything that AC introduced to the genre and did it so much better. It's so polished in all aspects from the UI to the combat and I'm still really enjoying it as im just about to storm the castle with the shogun's reinforcements in act 2. I go out of my way to do side quests because they actually feel meaningful. The characters, events and the dialogue all seem authentic to the setting and its' aesthetic. It's a dream game for me, samurai bros.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
It definitely feels familiar with its open world design but what makes the game memorable for me is the combat and how peaceful it is to explore the world and engage with the side activities. Also I enjoyed some of the side quests as it produced some memorable moments for me, especially the quest lines for your companions. The story is good as well, some really touching moments you just have to see through to the end in order to appreciate. Not a masterpiece IMO, but a solid 8.5

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it took everything that AC introduced to the genre and did it so much better. It's so polished in all aspects from the UI to the combat and I'm still really enjoying it as im just about to storm the castle with the shogun's reinforcements in act 2. I go out of my way to do side quests because they actually feel meaningful. The characters, events and the dialogue all seem authentic to the setting and its' aesthetic. It's a dream game for me, samurai bros.

For what its worth it made me want to watch old Samurai movies with my wife. They have been more enjoyable than the game, by a lot :X

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
The gameplay on harder difficulties is superb and a good challenge. If that along with just the vibe of the world is not drawing you in, then I'm not sure it would change. I'd probably try to get through Act 1 but that's up to you. I literally just finished the DLC Expansion and started Legends and I love this game, I don't agree with most of what you said honestly. I think they could add a bit more variety in the gameplay for an open world, even a fishing mini game would go a long way. But the DLC has some good additions and I just fell in love with the world and characters. It feels like playing a Batman origin story set in Tsushima in the past. Outside of some great story beats and seeing characters grow, i don't know that the game fundamentally changes enough to hook you from here. Not sure how many duels you've done so far but those were pretty cool if you can try those first.

Some people saying it's beautiful and dull really are underselling the combat. I'm not sure if you didn't play it on hard or lethal but at tougher difficulties it truly has a great combat system. It gets even better in the expansion because they add a few more threats. There's a ton of options and you have to use them all in tougher fights.

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it for the first time right now. I'm clearing the map pretty diligently, I'm around 35 hours into the game and in act 2. I can't seem to get enough of the game. After 30 hours or so I had to take a break for a week though because everything just got too repetitive. And while I'm still very into it I get why people are saying it's a standard open world game and overrated. It's an open world game, but a polished one and I love the setting/characters.

Oct 27, 2017
I was personally hooked right from the get go. The story and characters were excellent and so was the open world.

Still haven't played Iki Island as I am waiting for a PS5 though.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I must be 40 hours in and I don't know why. Like it's pretty, and hitting a good counter feels good.

But god there's such a gulf between any real highs, and so little to mix things up. It doesn't push against you any way or create real friction to let things get interesting.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I mean I loved it and am currently doing a second play through on ps5.

But it's clearly not for you. It doesn't get any better so you should drop it and move on.

ivalice

Banned
Sep 3, 2021
Yeah it's not an all timer. Better than Assassin's Creed, but the writing is still dull dull dull. Could've done with being half its actual length, at least.

The attempt to associate itself with a body of work like Kurosawa's - even slapping his name on a black and white mode of all things - was kind of embarrassing.

Still, it looks nice!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It's kind of like that zombie biker game who name escapes me. It's fine and perfectly serviceable but doesn't really stand out or do anything new or interesting.

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
I think GoT received so much praise when it released due to a combination of Covid and the lack of any major triple A games at the end of the last generation. I found the single player average and could never manage to get past Act 2.
On the other hand, had a great time with Legends and spent the majority of my play time in that mode. What I played of the raid was a very well done.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Glad to see the praise for the combat. I honestly can't think of many other open world games that play so well (especially not shooting ones)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The story in Ghost of Tsushima is one of the best in recent years. I mean, how many stories, especially in games, can you think of whether the main character undergoes substantial character development in the very first couple of hours? Jin is a different person by the time you take on the first major objective - Castle Kaneda - than he was at the beginning of the game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's definitely a game that's carried by its setting and presentation. Under the hood it's a bit of a snore.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
By the end I was quite burnt out

Melee combat is fine for a while, but it lacks any sort of tactical or real impact. I think For Honour and Chilvalry/Mordhau have really ruined sword combat for me.

Story was good and the open world is beautiful.

I think if you just really ignore any of the side quests and just focus on the big mission markers and some duels/legends, the game becomes alot better. I got burnt out because I was collecting the haiku and fox den shit which isn't fun at all really.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
oh yeah, I highly recommend hard setting from the get go. Maybe even harder if it's possible lol cuz I'm punishing these mongols & straw hats on hard. I can see any open world game being a snore if you're breezing thru combat.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I was invested in the world, the sheer beauty of it. That made exploring it a dream. Finding activities to do was a bonus, really.

I think playing it on an OLED definitely helped though because it was flat out the best looking game I've ever played.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped in the middle of Act 2. Tried playing it again on PS5 but still couldn't enjoy it. The open world is very boring. And this is coming from someone who loves Assassin's Creed games.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I found it boring AF by the end of the first act/island part. Great presentation and art direction, good but trivially easy combat and half-baked stealth, flat characters, and tedious, repetitive quests.