• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna wait until I finished the game to do this thread, but I don't know if I'm going to. I'm right before the end and am at the part where you finally have to take over a bunch of territory and the riots are going on, but for some reason I can't find any rival gang members anywhere. That might be the last straw on top of a game that, despite some really excellent qualities, also has base mechanics that are outdated as hell. People tell me this is one of the greatest games of all time, but I really don't see how it stands the test of time.

This is my second attempt at San Andreas. I first tried it around 2006 and it was my first GTA game. After getting back into it, on one hand I see what Rockstar understands about open-world games that most other developers don't, but there are also some things about Rockstar games that have always baffled me, mainly regarding the controls.

Really my biggest problem with SA and Rockstar games in general is the controls simply aren't fun. It's the same problem a lot of people have had with The Witcher 3 (myself not included) -- excellent characters and world-building stuck with a nearly unplayable game. All the different minigames and vehicles and various things to do in the world of SA aren't fun because the controls aren't fun. I didn't even think they were fun circa 2006. Maybe it was because that was still after games like RE4 came out and started to solidify the modern third person shooter. For whatever reason, this shooting system built around lock-on is either boring when I can get through it, or frustrating because I can't effectively take cover.

I even had problems with this when I forced my way through GTA IV. The controls in that game felt slightly more modern but still felt stupidly awkward compared to what third person shooters had become post-Gears. I finished GTA IV, but it wasn't fun at all. Soon I think I'll finally try out the PC version to see if a mouse and keyboard at least make things a little better. I tried this for San Andreas but I had to mod the fuck out of it to get it to the same standards as the PS2 version and undo what Rockstar apparently did to the PC port. I couldn't even start the game without it crashing, so I just went back to the PS2 version on my CRT.

And the thing is, structurally GTA understands things about open-world games all its imitators have been clueless about, but there are also things Rockstar is only just figuring out. Other developers like to make open-world games that are pretty much just a bunch of objectives and collectibles dropped all over the place. GTA games feel more like, well, sandboxes in which you're just supposed to exist and get resources. In SA you can still feel the heritage of game design that brought about games like Elite and eventually even No Man's Sky, where you just make your way through a world dealing with mechanics that run on autopilot. The heart of the game is really just a loop where you get into combat to get money to get better stuff to get more money and so-on. The only recent AAA non-Rockstar open-world game I think understands this is Assassin's Creed Black Flag. Black Flag, when it's not being another AC game, is basically Grand Theft Pirate Ship -- you rob ships to get money to get more stuff to help you better rob more ships and so-on.

I only figured all this out on my latest attempt at SA. On my first attempt I was frustrated because I actively fought against the save system. I hated reloading a save, driving back to Ammu-Nation, going back the mission start, and driving back to the mission only to immediately get killed. This time I learned to roll with it. I learned to use Pay-n-Sprays, I started over and built my way back up every time I died by getting into more combat, and I learned where items were hidden. In that sense, GTA kind of doesn't have a fail state. It's sort of a roguelike but also doesn't have a real game over. You can always rebuild, and that start from the bottom is actually kind of fun. Because of that loop and the focus of the world, GTA games feel a lot more organic than most other open-world games. The different things to do to make money didn't feel as interesting in San Fierro and Last Venturas as the gang wars in Los Santos though. I had the same problem in Red Dead Redemption, I didn't like any of the mission providers after the first one -- that Sheriff. My favorite parts of RDR were bounty hunting and cattle ranching, basically the stuff you do at the very beginning and very end.

This is all aside from the above-average world building and characters that are expected with Rockstar games. The early 90's rap soundtrack pretty much set itself up perfectly for SA, and the world feels remarkably well-realized despite its small size. Part of that is the fog, but Rockstar planned it out so each individual location feels just isolated enough from everywhere else. It's an impressive sense of vastness in a compact world.

But the world and mechanics also highlight the real weakness of GTA here, and I think it's also why GTA Online has taken over.

The main missions are the least interesting part of the game.

GTA is at its best when you're just doing your own shit to earn money and other stuff, and I haven't played GTA Online at all yet, but to my understanding that's pretty much what you do there. The linear missions are so restrictive they work against the structure that makes GTA great. This is the same problem I've had with Ubisoft games, their open-worlds filled with linear activities. This is the reason Elite, Minecraft, and NMS don't have story missions, they're at their best when they don't tell players what to do, or at least don't tell them how to do it. Fallout 4 is the worst example of this conflict. Ghost Recon Wildlands is a sign Ubisoft is starting to learn this. Honestly, I think all open-world games at this point should be bifurcated into one mode that's built around the main quest like GTA V or Withcer 3, and another that lets you do whatever you want with your own character in the same world like GTAO.

Anyway, I'm just hoping GTA V doesn't have shitty controls. I feel like I would love all the stuff in GTA if I could actually play the game.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I still think San Andreas has one of the most atmospheric and fun sandboxes to this day.

Every area feels so distinct, it's crazy. I play through it every few years and although the controls are dated, it's still playable IMO.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
GTA: San Andreas is the only 3D GTA I haven't finished, it was just a little too much.

GTA V takes a little messing around with in the Options to get feeling good, but it is by far the best controlling game in the series. The console versions have a weight to the controls that makes playing Free-Aim with a controller incredibly frustrating, the game is still designed around the same "snap targeting" the old games used, but playing it on PC with a mouse feels like it should. I like to play it in first-person for as much of the game is possible, only switching third-person when necessary. It's ridiculously immersive, with the game's attention to detail as over-the-top as it is.

RooMHM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the same problem a lot of people have had with The Witcher 3 (myself not included) -- excellent characters and world-building stuck with a nearly unplayable game.

The main missions are the least interesting part of the game.
Well... Wow. Main missions are what is best in GTA games even if side missions tend to be a bit crazier sometimes or stupid.

About Witcher III well. Think you went a little overboard on that one.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
My unpopular opinion is that I have more fun playing Saints Row than GTA. I like both games, of course.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
San Andreas is extremely dated now, OP. Anyone that says it's still the "best GTA" probably has rose-tinted glasses on. I say that as someone who adored the game back in the day. It was amazing at the time for it's size and scope, but it has been surpassed in these respects by other games now, and the gameplay was always clunky, but is much harder to forgive now. You should probably give GTA V a try, tho. The game is fantastic, and a big step up in playability and control compared to previous games.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
My unpopular opinion is that I have more fun playing Saints Row than GTA. I like both games, of course.

I also enjoyed Saints Row The Third more than SA and GTA IV. SRIII is still a bunch of objective tossed all over the place, but most of those objectives are actually very fun, and SRIII has actual playable controls..

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
San Andreas had the best cheats of any GTA game. I can't really see myself going back to the newer ones because I found them meh, but if they had 'Pedestrians Riot' I would probably play them all the time.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I love Witcher 3, but a ton of people seem to hate the basic controls and thus can't play the game. That's how I've felt about most Rockstar games I've tried so far.

I have no idea who said this. You really should just speak for yourself in these scenarios.

On topic, the San Andreas controls are dated as hell but on PC they're manageable. Especially compared to Vice City's plane controls

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

Saints Row II
Co-Op
Low gravity
Pedestrians riot, evil cars, try to kill you, and have weapons
Huge explosions
Your character is really small
Infinite sprint and health

Best fun hands down. Just trying to run across the map and avoiding all the NPC carnage and destruction as they try to mow you down and kill you, and your friend, with rocket launchers. Most hilarious thing and always burst out laughing while playing!

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea who said this. You really should just speak for yourself in these scenarios.

On topic, the San Andreas controls are dated as hell but on PC they're manageable. Especially compared to Vice City's plane controls

Really? In the last forum every Withcer 3 thread was filled with people who hated the controls and combat and thus couldn't play the game at all.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game and the best PS2 GTA, but I wouldn't have the patience for some of those long missions without check points nowadays.

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
Played it through all the way earlier this year. Later missions show the game age especially when you get to Las Venturas. Probably better to control on a PC but playing with a controller is hard to do.

Shooting in the game is totally whack too. It does not feel good when you're up against 10 people out in the open with no cover, and many missions do that.

Last edited:

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best characters and characterization ever implemented in a game, the charisma was oozing out of the screen with this one and I haven't even managed more than an hour on any GTA that came after.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since GTA: San Andreas, Rockstar Games have had great mouse and keyboard controls, and terrible controller controls. Their games on consoles heavily rely on auto-aim. Red Dead Redemption's controls are terrible. Combat is literally "hit aim, fire, hit aim, fire" and let auto aim do the rest.

Bugy52

Oct 25, 2017
Oklahoma
I got sick of GTA: SA after the 2nd time it forced me to relocate, that was the end for me.

Now when I've tried to go back, I just can't play the old GTA games anymore, the controls are to dated, especially the awful driving.

Deleted member 10293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda agree but not with the Witcher 3 comparison because the gameplay in that is totally serviceable

My issue with rockstar games is how they're so anal about making the characters feel like you're controlling a person which is turn makes things feel slow and clunky in my opinion which goes even with GTAV

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI Ubisoft games are increasingly not filled with linear activities. They're getting really good at sandbox design.

They've also began pushing away from slow, thudding control systems.

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
I mostly agree. The character controls never felt good to me in any of the 3D games. The car controls I really liked in GTAV, however. I think vehicle control has generally been fine, besides GTAIV, where their (failed) attempts at realism ended up feeling terrible.

Melee combat is something they never got right. That was always bad. Euphoria added a bit of fun to that, just due to how NPCs react to getting hit, but it doesn't make the hitting itself feel good.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I love Witcher 3, but a ton of people seem to hate the basic controls and thus can't play the game. That's how I've felt about most Rockstar games I've tried so far.

I love The Witcher 3 and Rockstar games and I think they all have good controls. Especially Rockstar games. I love how they feel to play and control.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
That is, easily, the best grand theft auto churned out at rockstar. Vice city gets high marks also because of its locale and ost. SA was actually interesting to progress in, unlike GTA 5 which lost so much in its narrative in comparison, one of the worst stories ever told.

I cared naught for any of the characters, franklins arc should have been much more expansive. Trevor and Micheal were scum through and through and lacked any nuance or depth.

Oct 28, 2017
GTA San Andreas is a masterpiece when it comes to sandbox open-world games. Just remember that it came out on the PlayStation 2 first and the limited specs of the hardware that Rockstar Games had to deal with.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA San Andreas is a masterpiece when it comes to sandbox open-world games. Just remember that it came out on the PlayStation 2 first and the limited specs of the hardware that Rockstar Games had to deal with.
I remember being blown away by it on PS2. I rented it initially but when i felt those controls i immediately returned it and bought it. Nary a regret.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Still no game has recaptured the sense of "road trip" as well as San Andreas.

Maybe Assassin's Creed Origins, but it kinda cheats by being set in the past.

Single Cities Open World are extremely disappointing, and that Rockstar never tried to give life to another "state" is really sad. GTA V and the jokes it calls towns don't count.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
That is, easily, the best grand theft auto churned out at rockstar. Vice city gets high marks also because of its locale and ost. SA was actually interesting to progress in, unlike GTA 5 which lost so much in its narrative in comparison, one of the worst stories ever told.

I cared naught for any of the characters, franklins arc should have been much more expansive. Trevor and Micheal were scum through and through and lacked any nuance or depth.

I understand that it's probably the best GTA in terms of setting and characters, and probably even structure. I guess I'm saying I just don't like how Rockstar set up the basic control systems in its earlier games, and for me when the basic control systems feel that clunky, it ruins everything else built on top of it.

Maybe SA would be one of my favorite games if I could actually get the PC version to boot.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Seems so silly now but I remember my wife and I being quite surprised at the amount of swearing in San Andreas. Wouldn't bat an eyelid to it these days.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Seems so silly now but I remember my wife and I being quite surprised at the amount of swearing in San Andreas. Wouldn't bat an eyelid to it these days.
GTA III was relatively squeaky clean on profanity, no "Fuck" that I can remember (they even censored the "Don't fuck with me" lyric from the GTA1 Theme on GTA3's radio, where it was originally uncensored in GTA1), and only a few "Shits" (there's a bit on Chatterbox where Michael Madsen's character calls into Lazlow about his mother, and Lazlow reminds him he can't say "shit" on the radio). So yeah, going from that to Vice City and San Andreas was a little surprising.

GTA III was dialed back in some ways from GTA 1 and 2, but then they went right back to pulling no punches for the rest of the series.

I know some things from GTA III were changed in response to 9/11, but things like the curious lack of the series' trademark penchant for profanity had to be done way ahead of something like that, so I've always wondered why they intentionally tried to make GTA III less controversial.

Last edited: