• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yep, a pretty regular game to me, only highlights is the bosses. Could've been a boss rush game like cuphead. All the other stuff is filler. And I hate when games try to do a story like dark souls and not pull it off.
There's an entire area of the game dedicated to boss rushes, and an overwhelming majority of HK fans agree that it's superfluous. You've described the opposite of what HK is, as there's no "filler" to actual game itself. Every single biome and every single room serves a purpose in the game. Exploration and curiosity are constantly rewarded. Saying that everything other than the bosses is "filler" isn't even an opinion; it's just wrong.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's been over 20 years for Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. It hasn't been anywhere near that for Hollow Knight. Not saying it'll suddenly be looked back on as some dookie game, just that I don't think it will be viewed the same way as Super was after the same amount of time has gone by. I think that's a pretty wild prediction to make in the first place.
Hey, all I'm saying is the better game will win out in the end, that's not so wild. I have faith in the future internet to accurately judge Hollow Knight's quality :^)

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's an entire area of the game dedicated to boss rushes, and an overwhelming majority of HK fans agree that it's superfluous. You've described the opposite of what HK is, as there's no "filler" to actual game itself. Every single biome and every single room serves a purpose in the game. Exploration and curiosity are constantly rewarded. Saying that everything other than the bosses is "filler" isn't even an opinion; it's just wrong.
ha, its my opinion. Thats how opinions work. I didnt know about the boss rush area...is that coliseum thing? I dont know. I saw the ending of the game and I was done with it. To me, it was a chore. And thats my opinion.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
The only gripe I have with this game is using a pin to see where you are exactly on the map. Otherwise, the size was perfect for me. You don't even have to explore most of the map if you only want to finish the game, just go to the dreamers and go the final boss.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
You've described the opposite of what HK is, as there's no "filler" to actual game itself. Every single biome and every single room serves a purpose in the game. Exploration and curiosity are constantly rewarded. Saying that everything other than the bosses is "filler" isn't even an opinion; it's just wrong.
I mean, there are some rooms where it's just a screen where you kill a couple bugs, then move onto the next screen and do the same thing. If that's what you mean by "purpose", then yeah, but then that's stating the obvious, as every room in other games in the genre also serve a purpose.

I think there's some filler in there. Biomes could've been cut entirely, their boss fights placed elsewhere in the game. The combat is fun, but very easy outside of bosses, so there's a lot of low tier enemy killing in there. If I did die, killing the Shade and retrieving my Geo never felt hard, just time consuming (due to the trek down to it).

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I mean, there are some rooms where it's just a screen where you kill a couple bugs, then move onto the next screen and do the same thing. If that's what you mean by "purpose", then yeah, but then that's stating the obvious, as every room in other games in the genre also serve a purpose.

I think there's some filler in there. Biomes could've been cut entirely, their boss fights placed elsewhere in the game. The combat is fun, but very easy outside of bosses, so there's a lot of low tier enemy killing in there. If I did die, killing the Shade and retrieving my Geo never felt hard, just time consuming (due to the trek down to it).
Help me understand something, then. Were you dying outside of boss fights?

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Help me understand something, then. Were you dying outside of boss fights?
Yes, of course. Usually, this was down to my own desire to rush through a given area I'd already been through, or encountering a new enemy type with brand new moves. Dying felt like more of an inconvenience than the "damn, I need to study this opponent and git gud" of the Soulslike games (only bringing those up since people tend to draw comparisons).

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Yes, of course. Usually, this was down to my own desire to rush through a given area I'd already been through, or encountering a new enemy type with brand new moves. Dying felt like more of an inconvenience than the "damn, I need to study this opponent and git gud" of the Soulslike games (only bringing those up since people tend to draw comparisons).
So the rooms from Point A to Point B serve a purpose. They were challenging enough to defeat you at many times. And you even admit its your own fault for rushing through an area and encountering new, challenging enemies. Why are you arguing against your own points here? Haha

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So the rooms from Point A to Point B serve a purpose. They were challenging enough to defeat you at many times. And you even admit its your own fault for rushing through an area and encountering new, challenging enemies. Why are you arguing against your own points here? Haha
I don't consider it a virtue in the game's favor when the rooms feel nearly endless and I resort to rushing. I never rush in games, so Hollow Knight goading that out of me surprised even myself. It's a prime example of how the game's length worked against it for me. It reinforces my point about the game being bloated.

I said the enemies were new and had new moves, not that they were challenging. It's like falling into some spikes on your first trip through a given area: yeah, you took damage, maybe even died. Are the spikes "challenging", though? No.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I found it too long, with too large scenarios and the map system was unnecessarily frustrating.

Seeing the true ending is something I didn't even do.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm about 20 hours deep into my fourth playthrough of Hollow Knight I have decreed that there are exactly three good criticisms to have.

- Having to use up a Charm slot to pin yourself on the map.

- The economy of the game being pretty messed and grindy if you die a lot.

- Traitor Lord sucks.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think I would of enjoyed it more if you could fast travel between benches rather than the stag system.

I felt the map was a little too big once you're just trying to get 100%+

But going through it the first time...I enjoyed it immensely and was so impressed of how many areas there were.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Now that I'm about 20 hours deep into my fourth playthrough of Hollow Knight I have decreed that there are exactly three good criticisms to have.

- Having to use up a Charm slot to pin yourself on the map.

- The economy of the game being pretty messed and grindy if you die a lot.

- Traitor Lord sucks.
There are a couple more than only three good criticisms to have, but of course, you likely already know them if this is your fourth playthrough.

I don't count the middle one here as a criticism, actually (you can replace it with game bloat). The Shade is never difficult to reach or defeat imo, just tedious because the world is so huge and it can take awhile to reach it. That considered, permaloss of Geo is very unlikely to occur. Never even needed to give the priest a rotten egg, only did it once to see what the dialogue was like.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a couple more than only three good criticisms to have, but of course, you likely already know them if this is your fourth playthrough.

I don't count the middle one here as a criticism, actually (you can replace it with game bloat). The Shade is never difficult to reach or defeat imo, just tedious because the world is so huge and it can take awhile to reach it. That considered, permaloss of Geo is very unlikely to occur. Never even needed to give the priest a rotten egg, only did it once to see what the dialogue was like.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about the priestess and the guy you sell artifacts too.

Criticism rescinded!

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
I've been getting into this of late. Its good yeah, but I'm constantly keeping unimpressed about the traversing and the map, as the areas are fairly large and convoluted.

While I appreciate a game that sort of makes you go back to the olden years when you actually drew your own maps, I feel that the area design is a bit of a hit, but more so a miss. Here, I think its just bad design decisions. Not sure what I think of the areas thematically yet. They're okay and fit the mood of the game - and being burrowed/built by insects its I guess okay that they're a lot alike.

Its about the only real gripe I have about the game. I like the atmosphere and the combat is okay. Sort of meh about getting clean wall jumps and dashes, like in every other metroidvania game. Certainly these things are part of the genre, but they could've pushed the letter a bit. But, its silly to critique about creativity matters.

A good game. A solid 2/3 stars from me, and I'm sure to get the sequel - from a sale, though.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
I can't go back. I get so sick of running back and forth just to try an area or boss again. Its so damn annoying and if the sequel has the same system I will probably skip it. The lack of fast travel isn't even "hardcore." Its just irritating.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I can't go back. I get so sick of running back and forth just to try an area or boss again. Its so damn annoying and if the sequel has the same system I will probably skip it. The lack of fast travel isn't even "hardcore." Its just irritating.
Silksong has been confirmed to have the same bench/checkpoint system and same map system as Hollow Knight, thankfully. No news on the Dreamgate yet, though.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Silksong has been confirmed to have the same bench/checkpoint system and same map system as Hollow Knight, thankfully. No news on the Dreamgate yet, though.

Welp... I guess thats its for me and HK. Loved the art style, the music, and the gameplay but the travel system is too much for me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hollow Knight has fast travel. Two forms of it, in fact.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Hollow Knight has fast travel. Two forms of it, in fact.

Three. HK's current "fast travel" is 'fast travel and some steps'.

IIRC one version of it has to be unlocked, has a cost, must be placed, can only be placed in one location at a time, etc. Another is the stag which still require you to run to it, use it, and then run to whatever you actually want from the area. Pretty sure there is a very limited tram system as well.

I want to spawn in front of any boss area after they kill me.
I want to open the map, select the more important locations , and go directly to them after I have found them.
I don't want to fight my way across the map, use the bug, and then fight my way to the next place I need to go to.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three. HK's current "fast travel" is 'fast travel and some steps'.

IIRC one version of it has to be unlocked, has a cost, must be placed, can only be placed in one location at a time, etc. Another is the stag which still require you to run to it, use it, and then run to whatever you actually want from the area. Pretty sure there is a very limited tram system as well.

I want to spawn in front of any boss area after they kill me.
I want to open the map, select the more important locations , and go directly to them after I have found them.
I don't want to fight my way across the map, use the bug, and then fight my way to the next place I need to go to.

I personally disagree with being spawned in front of the boss after death since I think benches are laid out to the point where it doesn't take more than a minute to return but I can nonetheless understanding wanting that, however for your other issues, It's a Metroidvania. Why would you ever be given an instant warp ability?

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't enjoy the gameplay. It just lacks any personality or "soul" to it. It's like you're controlling a pixel. Also didn't enjoy getting lost. It's a good game, but it's overrated.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on my third playthrough. Played it on Steam before it hit consoles. I loved it then. Played in on Switch. And now playing on my X1X due to GamePass.

I thought it wouldn't be as good since I've played it to completion twice (sans Godhome stuff. 2 hardcore 4ME), but it's just as good as my original playthroughs. This game is my Symphony of the Night, a Metroidvania I replay regularly. However, it is better than SoTN. It is bigger. Has better combat. Art and music are just as good. It has interesting and understated lore. The movement options are fun. And it's much more challenging.

I've basically shelved my current gaming lineup to finish this 3rd playthrough.

To answer the OP, I don't think it overstays its welcome. I'd love more fast travel spots. This game is just too good.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm on my third playthrough. Played it on Steam before it hit consoles. I loved it then. Played in on Switch. And now playing on my X1X due to GamePass.

I thought it wouldn't be as good since I've played it to completion twice (sans Godhome stuff. 2 hardcore 4ME), but it's just as good as my original playthroughs. This game is my Symphony of the Night, a Metroidvania I replay regularly. However, it is better than SoTN. It is bigger. Has better combat. Art and music are just as good. It has interesting and understated lore. The movement options are fun. And it's much more challenging.

To answer the OP, I don't think it overstays its welcome. I'd love more fast travel spots. This game is just too good.
I'm basically in your shoes as well. I picked it up recently for a third full replay and instantly got sucked in.

About 15 hours in now, my only "complaint" so far is I wish the three dreamers had full boss fights tied to them. It's a little anti-climactic that the equivalent of the lord souls in Dark Souls just roll over and die when you finally get to them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm basically in your shoes as well. I picked it up recently for a third full replay and instantly got sucked in.

About 15 hours in now, my only "complaint" so far is I wish the three dreamers had full boss fights tied to them. It's a little anti-climactic that the equivalent of the lord souls in Dark Souls just roll over and die when you finally get to them.

At least Herrah would have been nice, since Deepnest doesn't have a mandatory boss.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
At least Herrah would have been nice, since Deepnest doesn't have a mandatory boss.
Watcher Knights do the job well enough for Lurien even if I think you lose something by not fighting the actual dreamer who's been hyped up since early in the game, but yeah Uumuu sucks for Monomon and Herrah really could use a fight, especially since her area is the most threatening and hostile with the weaver trap that ends up going nowhere.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I totally loved the game for the most part, but haven't finished it because I have like 99% completion and just don't want to deliver that damn flower.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watcher Knights do the job well enough for Lurien even if I think you lose something by not fighting the actual dreamer who's been hyped up since early in the game, but yeah Uumuu sucks for Monomon and Herrah really could use a fight, especially since her area is the most threatening and hostile with the weaver trap that ends up going nowhere.

Uumuu's kind of eh but it's worth it for the payoff of Quirrel's character. Herrah yeah, shoulda been a full boss fight because for being the scariest and most threatening place in the game only having Nosk as a boss fight makes Deepnest feel incomplete.

I totally loved the game for the most part, but haven't finished it because I have like 99% completion and just don't want to deliver that damn flower.

It's a lot easier if you kill all the enemies on the path you're gonna take, then grabbing the flower. Enemies only respawn once you sit at a bench.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Yep. Hollow Knight alludes to more Stags as well.

Oct 28, 2019
Finished the game a little bit ago, at around 82% completion and after roughly 28h of playtime. Bought all of Cornifer's maps, filled them in as best I could, got around 3/4 of the Grubs, and probably around 25/40 of the charms. I do plan to get the Platinum, since concept of an ultra punishing boss rush mode quite intrigues me, and I felt that the boss fights were the best thing about Hollow Knight.

The negative
All that said, I can't help but feel that the game just dragged on for way too long, especially considering its genre (Metroidvania), which generally consists of shorter, more concise experiences. Whereas something like Metroid Fusion or Zero Mission can craft an exciting, memorable experience roughly 5 hours long, Hollow Knight is content proceeding at a glacial pace. Character upgrades are rare, and the game seems more about getting lost, finding the cartographer, and consulting the map than it does getting you through a mid-sized area at a brisk, reasonable pace. What really doesn't help is that despite all of the "biomes" being distinct from one another, nearly every area and room within those biomes are nondescript, sharing near identical backgrounds and platforms, as well as an all too similar look and feel. These factors, coupled with the fact that landmarks and fast travel points are so infrequently stumbled upon (not to mention the sheer scope of the world), contribute to making the game feel like a maze, and not always in a good way.

The positive
Instead, what I did enjoy about Hollow Knight was how the Knight themself controlled, and the various ways in which their abilities made the gameplay loop feel satisfying. Dashing, wall jumping, speed boosting, and nail bouncing felt tight and responsive, and navigating the landscape with those abilities at the forefront was what made the game fundamentally enjoyable to play through. Music was also pretty solid all around, with tracks evoking wildly different feelings for each of the respective areas and their associated boss fights (City of Tears and Hornet's theme being standouts, imo). Regarding the story and lore, however, I admittedly could not bring myself to care or form that much of an investment when it's all so cryptic and scattered across the fragmented dialogue of so many NPCs and Dream Nail-able entities. The game had hours to pull me into its story somehow, but it just never did. There were, however, a few resonant moments, particularly Bretta's creepycute crush on the Knight, Zote's continual boasts and set of precepts, and of course, The Last Stag / Old Stag's emergence of hope and optimism upon rediscovering his old home. Largely, I feel that Bloodborne serves as a better example of how to draw the player in through sparse, mysterious lore and dialogue.

In closing
Hollow Knight was an interesting enough experience, and one that I certainly don't regret having. Was it the 10/10 Metroidvania GOAT that many on this forum claim it to be, though? No, I don't quite think it reached even close to that standard. Honestly, I do find it bewildering that, in a period where lambasting modern, labrious, massive AAA open world checklist games is the norm in enthusiast circles such as ours, Hollow Knight seemingly gets a pass for doing more or less the same thing (treading upon that "bigger is better" game design mindset), but in 2D Metroidvania form. I can only hope that Silksong consists of a tighter, more focused experience, but I don't think I'd bet on that coming to fruition. All the same, I'm glad to have experienced HK's tight mobility, combat, and boss fights.
It definitely felt like a game that was constantly added to rather than having a set number of locations.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There's walking back to a boss fight, and then there's walking back to the mantis lords or crystal guardian which felt like more of a slog than any Soulsborne game that inspired this mechanic. The map in that sense feels like they just kept adding shit to it as they went along in development which results in having a massive map with a lot of boring backtracking and bumbling around trying to find the next objective.

The whole map design felt a lot like it was being added to in a level editor that used basic blocks and platforms, which gives the whole game this kind of unnatural right angle feel to everything that works against its location being very much organic.

It definitely felt like a game that was constantly added to rather than having a set number of locations.

100%

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
There's walking back to a boss fight, and then there's walking back to the mantis lords or crystal guardian which felt like more of a slog than any Soulsborne game that inspired this mechanic. The map in that sense feels like they just kept adding shit to it as they went along in development which results in having a massive map with a lot of boring backtracking and bumbling around trying to find the next objective.

The whole map design felt a lot like it was being added to in a level editor that used basic blocks, which gives the whole game this kind of unnatural right angle feel to everything that works against its location being very much organic.
The bench nearest the Mantis Lords is like 45-60 seconds of platforming and light enemy encounters - max.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I started this as I was wrapping up Ori last month. Played a few nights, killed the False Knight, fought Hornet and got the Dash cloak.

Then I started exploring and got killed on a platform over tar. And then I lost over 2K Geo trying to recover it, because fuck fighting the ghost and other enemies over a tar pit.

And then to add insult to the injury, I went and killed the Gruz mother with my new Dash ability and unlocked 2 merchants. Prior to that I already bought all mapping supplies and had nothing to spend my money on.

I'll get back to it, probably once I'm through with Ori 2, but that moment stung. I felt like I was back in early 2000s failing a Diablo II corpse run.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

Yup, I just finished my 3rd, 4th, and 5th playthroughs for all achievements. I could replay it right now and enjoy every second. Just like the Souls games, Hollow Knight is a game I'll replay at least once a year for the foreseeable future.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, I just finished my 3rd, 4th, and 5th playthroughs for all achievements. I could replay it right now and enjoy every second. Just like the Souls games, Hollow Knight is a game I'll replay at least once a year for the foreseeable future.
Agreed on that. I have about 90 hrs in it, just replaying it a bunch.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

Im so honestly excited on silksong. You play as your rival, which is technically the villain. I hope H's moves in hk1 are doable in hk2

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Im so honestly excited on silksong. You play as your rival, which is technically the villain. I hope H's moves in hk1 are doable in hk2
To my knowledge the only one we haven't seen is the one where she flails around with a giant cloud of thread around herself. Throwing your needle, dive kicks, and lunges are all confirmed, as well as lots of other gadgets and sub-weapons.

It's going to be incredible.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Will you believe me if I told you I never used the wayward compass after 5 minutes of getting it?

Most of the time I used waypoints and logical thinking to figure out where I was. And I did love getting lost in the world (Deepnest was excellent for making you feel lost again).

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
As much as it might need a bit more traversal later on but, being lost is one of the best parts of the game.

Actually, being lost is what makes the genre good, I realised.

It might just need the dream gate ability to be available directly with the dream nail.
But honestly, even without, it's basically just a risk versus reward game where you decide if you go on or get to the nearest bench for survival.
And sometimes going forward makes you find a bench.

The thrill is good.
To my knowledge the only one we haven't seen is the one where she flails around with a giant cloud of thread around herself. Throwing your needle, dive kicks, and lunges are all confirmed, as well as lots of other gadgets and sub-weapons.

It's going to be incredible.
I'm literally drooling. It IS gonna be incredible.
Even if I'm scared about the difference in gameplay as she seems quite lighter and fast paced. But on the other hand it's a good thing as we learn a new game instead of just using the exact same knowledge. I like good learning curve.

And I never liked the genre before this game. So it has to be an amazing series for sure.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Playing this again since it came out in 2017 and I remember the general location of the areas but that's about it. I still need to automatically waste a pin slot for the compass or else it's unplayable. Also tracking the map guy in every area still sucks.

So yeah the map system is still fucking garbage. Great game overall though if you can power through the beginning "no maps" stage. It gets amazing after that.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Super Metroid is still unmatched for me in the genre but I don't think Hollow Knight overstayed its welcome or had any problems with the level design, far from it, I think it was great despite I somehow missed the City of tears before fighting the Mantis Lords and went directly after to the deepnest lol

Also, like some of the bests in the genre, HK has some cool ways of getting some shortcuts which involve some bug-baiting that are very rewarding when you realize about it and the game doesnt block you instantly after.

I wasn't a fan of the saving and traversal system since I am of the opinion that there are too many innecesary long walks but it's a minor complaint for how good the whole experience is.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Just beat it (21h and 67%) and don't really want to make another LTTP thread.

So many things annoyed me about Hollow Knight:
  • The travelling just gets annoying after a while, especially since the world is so open and they don't hold your hand at all. There is so much backtracking and being lost if you don't follow a walkthrough. And using a walkthrough kinda kills the joy of exploration (I just got so fed up that I started to use one).
  • The map system doesn't help at all. You basically always need to find Cornifer first since if you die before that, no map progress. Also the last save point maybe in totally different area.
  • If you die, you better hope you didn't die at boss or at difficult area. Oh there is a way to summon your shade to the town? Cool, I just travel five minutes there and then back to die again. Oh and to summon your shade you need certain item. OK, it is a item you get plenty of, but god why do they make you jump through all these hoops?
  • Usually no indication if room has a boss or just npc.
  • That fucking Watcher Knight
But I do understand that many people like it, love even. The boss fights are generally really good (especially the normal last boss), the platforming is great and the atmosphere is quite dark and sad but with some joy.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finished Hollow Knight on PC 1,2 years ago and really enjoyed this amazing experience.
Now I want to play it again on PS4. Is there any missable trophy in this game?