• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Alright! I know Red Dead Redemption 2 is the hot stuff right now, but I don't have the time for such games at the moment.

However, I wanted to play something these late nights, and then I discovered that The Frozen Wilds were on sale. 60 % off! I never got around to it, so I figured this time was as good as any!

So here's the thing:

Back when the original game was on the horizon (all puns intended), I was lucky to get a copy a week prior to the actual release. I played it every night, all the time, and when it actually officially released, I had earned the platinum trophy.

It was in fact the first game I ever "platinumed".

I was wildly in love with Horizon: Zero Dawn. I could acknowledge the stiff animations, and I thought Aloy was kind of bland (albeit with great voice acting, in my opinion). It always struck me more as an action game with RPG elements, yet it made me feel the part of a hunter. Few games actually make me feel the part, and often I just try to optimize the numbers and care little for the roleplaying.

But with all that in mind, I somehow never got around to The Frozen Wilds, not unlike this post which seem to never get around my thoughts about the actual experience... Until now!

1. The Cut

For some reason I feel like this new land was truly something GG cut off from production. It's as beautiful as any snowy area in the main game, but there's not really any super impressive landmarks. However, because it's not that big, and because the terrain is very rough, I found myself running a lot on foot - as opposed to any machines. I thought that was a great way of immersing myself.

I did enjoy the vistas however - I always think this is where Horizon truly shines:

vo1Qa20.jpg

Photo-mode is the bomb in this game!
2. New enemies

Seeing as I had already platinumed the game, I figured I would just start a new game+. I was already level 50, and I had that great armor with a shield. Was that cheating? I don't know. So far as I understand, one can enter The Cut at level 30, and I can see why. I kind of felt like, I was hammering through most of the content - not all, but we'll get to that.

To be honest, I feel like most of the enemies in The Frozen Wilds are pretty boring, and I'm kind of sad that there aren't more humans, but I suppose those aren't any better. I just felt like going stealth in a base of humans is always good fun in this game.

I know that this game is truly original with its robo-dinosaurs, and seeing as the story kind of revolves around the concept of a malware infection, I think it's alright to keep the focus there... Robo-dinosaurs... Anyone remember the leaks from 2014? I truly want to know who pitched the idea for robot dinosaurs, or rather: Who made it work. No way it was a given to begin with...

Anyway, back to The Frozen Wilds:

One enemy, however... The Fireclaw!

208ca5c5827f24e81f60267ddcd35b65.jpeg

My dumb ass didn't really understand what was going on with this guy. Up until my first encounter, I felt like this had been a breeze. Yet, with this encounter I was made blatantly aware of the fact that I hadn't played this game for a while. I wasn't using any of the weapons you're giving through out the story, so I was just going at him like any ol' robo-monster. In my desperation I even went for the spear haha... Nope! Bad idea!

But this is where my love for Horizon lies: one has to understand that the brutal approach rarely works well. It may eventually win you the battle, but it's rarely without the great cost of materials, and certainly your precious time.

Remember, I hadn't played this game since release - in fact I have mostly been playing Monster Hunter, which shouldn't be too far off, yet there's a significant different in these games, I couldn't quite rearrange my mindset.

These Fireclaws are just so quick and brutal. I really like them, and I loved running around, angsty, trying to figure out my mistakes, going in and out of slo-mo, trying to get those pieces of armor off, until eventually it was beaten! Very satisfying.

3. The Story - Banuks are silly

I admire Guerilla for attempting to create all these different groups within the world of Horizon. Banuks are pretty silly though. Their armor looks so bog and impractical, and their language is like bad poetry.

The story was fine though. Ultimately, I did like the feud between brother and sister, but more importantly I thought it was great to see that Aloy is actively trying to convey the truth of the world to the people in it. At least she seems to want that to be the case. The original story is great in the sense that Aloy is trying to discover where she comes from, but instead discovers where everyone comes from - that this becomes a quest by itself is very intriguing. It lends itself to potential themes of the unannounced sequels, such as the fact that such a paradigm shift must naturally have an effect on the established powers of the worlds. Myths, legends and spiritual powers are all of great importance - but what does it mean when those were all lies? Truly, we all know what it means for us in the real world, and we consider ourselves the most sophisticated a civilization has ever been.

Although the story may be best when one chooses to read between the lines a little, it did a decent job of conveying some fun ideas.

The only thing I really dislike is Aloys attitude. I don't understand why she has to scoff or seem displeased in so many situations. Is that suppose to be confidence? That's not my idea of confidence. Eh, whatever.

lwl0guiv0jyz.gif

4. Conclusion

Yeah, I still love this series. Horizon is such a rare treat: It's gorgeous, it plays well, and one can easily forgive its minor issues. It's an epic world with a great theme, and it has god damn robot dinosaurs.

I'm sort of happy I didn't jump straight into The Frozen Wilds when it released; there's always a lot to play at any given time, so to be able to jump back into one of my favorite games of last year, and this generation, only to discover it's still a pleasure to run through, that's really a treat.

I don't like to grade things, but I will say that The Frozen Wilds is a complimentary expansion to an already superb game, and although it's its own story, with its own themes, and not directly correlated to anything from the main game, it's just nice to have a little more Horizon to play!

I can't wait to get a little (or hopefully a lot) more of Horizon in the future!

Last edited:

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
OP, question for you:

I platinum'd the campaign some time after launch but never got around to Frozen Wilds despite owning it. How difficult was it to get back into the game? I'm concerned I've forgotten all the gameplay systems and mechanics. Weird concern, I know. But just curious.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, question for you:

I platinum'd the campaign some time after launch but never got around to Frozen Wilds despite owning it. How difficult was it to get back into the game? I'm concerned I've forgotten all the gameplay systems and mechanics. Weird concern, I know. But just curious.

I've bought FW 8 month after release. The DLC will confront with the first Fire Claw pretty much at the start and it will wipe the floor with you unless you're gud. But this is intentional (like the 1st boss in most of the Souls games) Took me about an hour to get a grip of the controls and systems again, but kudos to GG: the game controls like a dream. For me playing the DLC on highest difficulty would be the same as fighting Kos and Ludwig at the same time, big nope. I know we're on a gaming board with lots of skilled players claiming "this game is easy", but I still firmly believe that HZD was a very challenging game (for the average gamer) even on hard. Enemies have so many attack patterns and dish out so much damage, and on top of that you often fight several of them at the same time. But that was the reason I loved the combat so much. FW has some nail biting material encounters.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Just can't believe nobody mentions that human defeat climate change in this universe.....

That is the most optimistic message i get from a game. Even though it is a robot apocalyptic game, that is still worth noting.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah the Frozen Wilds is a top tier expansion. I'm hoping to pick up a 4K tv for Black Friday and a Pro and that'll be my excuse to play Horizon again.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Just can't believe nobody mentions that human defeat climate change in this universe.....

That is the most optimistic message i get from a game. Even though it is a robot apocalyptic game, that is still worth noting.
See, that part of the story was extremely silly to me. The main game was about unhinged machines destroying the world. Then the DLC says, "actually that didn't matter, the world was actually going to be destroyed by climate change. That emphasis we put on machines destroying all life was pointless."

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I left off with the final mission to go in this expansion, and 1-2 missions left in the main game before I started RDR2. I need to get back and finish this game, it's fantastic.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I always thought the worst thing about HZD was the human characters, period. They came across less as struggling survivors and more a bunch of 21st century hipsters playing post-apocalypse cosplay :S

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
See, that part of the story was extremely silly to me. The main game was about unhinged machines destroying the world. Then the DLC says, "actually that didn't matter, the world was actually going to be destroyed by climate change. That emphasis we put on machines destroying all life was pointless."
No, human overcame the climate change aftermath because of using machine, the world was pretty great. And that led to people relying on machines or AI.

It was a huge endeavor for the world to come together. And on the other side, it is always arrogance that leads us to our downfall.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the worst thing about HZD was the human characters, period. They came across less as struggling survivors and more a bunch of 21st century hipsters playing post-apocalypse cosplay :S

Well I'd be shocked if they didn't act like 21st century people since that's what they were taught to act like.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Great addition to the main game. Liked it more in some ways but that's partly because I was better at it at that point and I love colder environments.

OP
OP
oliverandm

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
OP, question for you:

Sorry for the late answer.

Yeah, there was a bit of a learning curve. Nothing spectacular, but I had just gone through Arkham Asylum, which is much different in terms of the control layout. I was comfortable with it an hour in or so :)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought FW 8 month after release. The DLC will confront with the first Fire Claw pretty much at the start and it will wipe the floor with you unless you're gud. But this is intentional (like the 1st boss in most of the Souls games) Took me about an hour to get a grip of the controls and systems again, but kudos to GG: the game controls like a dream. For me playing the DLC on highest difficulty would be the same as fighting Kos and Ludwig at the same time, big nope. I know we're on a gaming board with lots of skilled players claiming "this game is easy", but I still firmly believe that HZD was a very challenging game (for the average gamer) even on hard. Enemies have so many attack patterns and dish out so much damage, and on top of that you often fight several of them at the same time. But that was the reason I loved the combat so much. FW has some nail biting material encounters.
I thought the game was a bit too easy on normal, and I don't consider myself to be highly skilled. I do, however, fear going back to this game's DLC since it's been so long since I played it (shortly after launch). I find this to be a big problem with lots of substantial DLC releases for games I choose to play when they first come out. I just completely forget how to play them. :(

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The original game makes it clear that humanity (actually some of the people involved in the robot apocalypse story) *did* successfully beat climate change, and then The Frozen Wilds establishes that there was yet *another* apocalypse they successfully averted.

Rapon Tran

Nov 8, 2017
Actually, I found the story of FW is enjoyable, and somehow deep enough to make it has some memorable moments, it also even connect (or hint) to the sequel, as well as connected to the base game pretty nice. It also had a few nice armor, add more skills, weapons to make it had enough new content. I like collect things in this area than the base game to be honest. The new machines and use the excuse pretty well.

The snow deform effect is well-done. The landscape is beautiful, and I love that they try to improve the quality of side-content for the DLC. The facial animation in the dlc zone is better than the base game. And with the price of 20$, it has a nice quality for take you around 12-20 hours, depend on your play-style.

And I love how they consistent the colortone for the whole area, it is positive feeling for the overall of the game (base game + dlc). I am really tired of dark/deep openworld. The thing I love HZD is the bright, positive feeling in the world building and the use of color really catching. I hope HZD2 will make it more "interactive", more lively and still keep the bright/metal/ positive feeling.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Such an amazing game. I hope they are working on a sequel. The main aspect that needs improvement is the combat with humans.