• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try using the the huge arsenal of skills and equipment you earn next time. You can pretty much be an invincible godess by the end of the game so your statement is actually wrong. I played the game for 100 hours and platinumed it during my first playtrough on very hard. Looks like you barely scartched the surface.
I do. None of it feels satisfying to me. I suspect it's the fact that they're a means to the pointless end of collecting resources from bots, which isn't a good enough incentive.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
You stated that not a single ability intrigues you. The skill tree isn't surprising though. You can see it from jump.

Why didn't you just stop playing then? Not going to lie to you. This thread is being made before you even actually know anything of what the main story or even the side quests could lead to.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished this game a few days ago. I enjoyed it a ton, I do have a lot of gripes with it though. While the game can look absolute beautiful, there's some serious issues with the lip movement and the faces at time.. I also find the voice acting and and story a bit too much. There was also a ton of invisible walls that really bothers me. But despite all this.

Gameplay is fantastic, fights feel really really nice to be a part of and movement is great and in the end.. that matters the most. It's not a top 5 game from 2017 for me, but probably in the top 10.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I do. None of it feels satisfying to me. I suspect it's the fact that they're a means to the pointless end of collecting resources from bots, which isn't a good enough incentive.

what do you want to be the incentive of a skill tree to be besides being better at handling what the game throws at your character?

I'm having a hard time understanding why the skill tree in any game is supposed to do anything beyond give you tools to better navigate your surroundings? Can you give an example of what you're looking for?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
is a stupid thing to say usually, but if you are not overpowered in the last part of the title, you are playing the game in the wrong way my friend...

Even very hard is a cakewalk with the right weapon and power up.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018

I don't agree with looting being meaningless.

Besides fighting amazing looking giant robot dinasours with great animations with a huge arsenal of weapons, tactics and skills would be a great incentive for me.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if you are feeling weak it's because you're not exploring the different weapon/ammo types appropriately and learning what is good against what. Some of the fights just felt unfair (in my favor) by the end of the game.

Yup, i sure as hell feel stronger more at level 30 (playing on very hard) then i was at the beginning.
The added abilities help TONS

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You stated that not a single ability intrigues you. The skill tree isn't surprising though. You can see it from jump.

Why didn't you just stop playing then? Not going to lie to you. This thread is being made before you even actually know anything of what the main story or even the side quests could lead to.
I'm level 34 and three quests away from completing it. That's when I made it. What are you talking about?

As for those of you asking for greater clarity for why I feel this way, I really don't think stating that the game simply doesn't feel good to play in a more intricate essay is necessary outside of what I already said.

Sometimes some games and movies just don't feel good and not everyone has to do a deep-dive analysis to uncover why, despite having listed some things that stand out as annoyances to me.

I not only gave it a very fair shot by playing it for as long as I did, but I also said I understand why others appreciate this game despite not being for me.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I'm level 34 and three quests away from completing it. That's when I made it. What are you talking about?

As for those of you asking for greater clarity for why I feel this way, I really don't think stating that the game simply doesn't feel good to play in a more intricate essay is necessary outside of what I already said.

Sometimes some games and movies just don't feel good and not everyone has to do a deep-dive analysis to uncover why, despite having listed some things that stand out as annoyances to me.

I not only gave it a very fair shot by playing it for as long as I did, but I also said I understand why others appreciate this game despite not being for me.

I didn't say you had to. There are just literally things in the OP that are being stated and you haven't finished the game and that may change how you feel about them given that you are just getting past some of the final big twists of priorities from the game.

Where you stated you were, there were still a good number of hours left of gameplay.

You don't know why you need to be more powerful, but you haven't actually played the ending yet.

You don't know why the sidequests or the relationships you choose to pursue mean anything, but you haven't actually played the ending yet.

Your comment on the villain is in complete disagreement with your statement about who the best performers in the game are.

I didn't say you had to go into line level detail. I'm saying you're literally saying things and haven't finished the game where you having built out everything and having done side missions and had conversations and chosen options may in fact have changed your mind.

On top of all of that, I cannot even ask you about why you felt the way you did about how various things happened because you didn't finish the game but said you were still going to try to do its pointless to spoil something you're going to see through anyway.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say you had to. There are just literally things in the OP that are being stated and you haven't finished the game and that may change how you feel about them given that you are just getting past some of the final big twists of priorities from the game.

Where you stated you were, there were still a good number of hours left of gameplay.

You don't know why you need to be more powerful, but you haven't actually played the ending yet.

You don't know why the sidequests or the relationships you choose to pursue mean anything, but you haven't actually played the ending yet.

Your comment on the villain is in complete disagreement with your statement about who the best performers in the game are.

I didn't say you had to go into line level detail. I'm saying you're literally saying things and haven't finished the game where you having built out everything and having done side missions and had conversations and chosen options may in fact have changed your mind.

On top of all of that, I cannot even ask you about why you felt the way you did about how various things happened because you didn't finish the game but said you were still going to try to do its pointless to spoil something you're going to see through anyway.
I beat the game not more than an hour ago. I still feel the same way. My opinion wouldn't have changed so late into the game. We were talking about 2 hours or so more of gameplay after the mission I finished when I made this game. By that point my thoughts were set. And even if the game ended in a really high note, how bad of an impression would that be for someone like me where it took up until the very end to appreciate it?

Also the last few battles were not enjoyable, especially the one to protect the ridge from an onslaught of enemies. I dislike gameplay sections like that where there are swarms.

Ah well. Wasn't a bad game but I am very disappointed. Onto God of War now. Let's see how I like that one.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I beat the game not more than an hour ago. I still feel the same way. My opinion wouldn't have changed so late into the game. We were talking about 2 hours or so more of gameplay after the mission I finished when I made this game. By that point my thoughts were set. And even if the game ended in a really high note, how bad of an impression would that be for someone like me where it took up until the very end to appreciate it?

Also the last few battles were not enjoyable, especially the one to protect the ridge from an onslaught of enemies. I dislike gameplay sections like that where there are swarms.

Ah well. Wasn't a bad game but I am very disappointed. Onto God of War now. Let's see how I like that one.

So you beat it an hour ago... you choosing to help people and being nice to them resolves with people helping you make those battles easier.

You grabbing those abilities makes carrying heavy weapons, slowing time, and shooting multiple arrows the most optimal way to take things down while you're in multiple of those battles.

Having all those shards makes you not have to reup regularly searching for ammo.

You working on those pieces makes sure you have plenty of ammo to take folks down.

The villain is Silas, who you said was the only other good performance in the game. He wasn't actually helping you. He was the reason there was even a problem and he was sacrificing you to figure out all these secrets. Why is Hades around and doing things? It's him. I thought that was great, but like I said I thought seeing that would be something to be like "oh" based on what you were saying.

It wasn't a dig. It was like maybe you'll feel differently once you play the final sequence which I thought was pretty awesome overall to be honest.

You didn't enjoy it at the end. Sucks you put all that time into it. Which, again, that's why I said the first thing. You saw the skill tree and what you were working towards, I wouldn't have even tried if I felt how you felt about the actual progression of the character.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I enjoyed the game a lot,combat was great fun for me I remember taking down my first Stormbird.I think the transition Guerilla went from Killzone studio to Horizon was pretty remarkable really.I'm sure with a second game they could improve on many elements of the game people thought were weaker.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Now I understand these posts after getting to play the game just recently.

I've been playing most of the PS4 exclusives and HZD was the last one, and I don't understand the hype behind it.

So far, the world is empty and devoid of life, there's literally nothing going on under those beautiful visuals, it's a chore to get from point A to point B. You can't take a moment to just have a calm walk before something spotting you and engaging in combat.

The random encounter I have seen are just NPCs fighting machines.

The climbing and platforming is terribly bad, Kratos in GoW has more reach than Aloy. She literally can't climb some rock that reaches her head. And those goddman invisible walls, every single time, making you not being able to jump the simplest barriers because you have to take this one established route out of something.

The side quests, some would call them fetch quests, are awful and uninteresting, especially after TW3 and and RDR2 raised the standards so much, the latter being even better at it. I find myself just pressing X to skip all of that weightless dialogue.

The story started so good, but in minutes I'm this killing machine that deals with dozens of humans without even reacting to anything. Aloy can feel so superficial, the moments where you could maybe shape her personality are so rare and aren't even that meaningful when given the options.

Honestly, a disappointment. A huge beautiful sandbox devoid of life, the characters are all one note and lackluster, there's not much it. I think the best thing about it is the visuals and music, maybe some moments with the bow, that's it. The rest is shallow. The way everyone spoke about it here made the game seem to be like God's gift to humanity, but I suppose it's an Era thing.

I will be going through the main storyline while leveling up by grinding those fetch quests in order to match the suggested level for some of the missions. It's hard for me drop this game now hours later, I feel the need to at least finish the story.

But yeah, it's so so. I've enjoyed "playing" Until Dawn much more than this actual game that had everything, on paper, for me to enjoy it, dialogue choices, RPG elements, open world, characters to know and a well rounded storyline.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
I still feel like it's the best open world combat ever. Fantastic story and relentlessly beautiful.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing this game, but didn't want to make a thread about it.

Just a small question, am I doing something wrong or is it really insanely difficult to aim while sliding? The skill you can unlock to have bullet time during the slide makes me think it's something I should be doing more, but I just suck at it.

I'm using the jump bullet time a lot, though.

Really enjoying it so far, playing on Very Hard. But then again, it was never the first 15 hours that made me dislike open world games, so who knows what I'll think later.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever about the other stuff, this is just wrong.

But the game isn't for you, that's OK.
I don't care if you think it's wrong. To me I felt no greater sense of satisfaction after 25 hours of playing despite knowing she's stronger and more capable. It was a matter of perception, not actuality. On paper and in the skill tree, in addition to the upgraded weapons, she became more formidable, yes, but this game was unique in that no matter how much I technically progressed, I always felt dissatisfied.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was really boring. Quit about 15 hours in when you get to the desert area with the flying enemies. It has some good enemy designs but humans look incredibly unpleasant across the board and it just wasn't fun to play.

Nier was much better. And the game that shall not be named too.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
My 2017 game of the year. Sorry OP, i can't relate to anything you mention.
Only downside the game had was the melee. I'd rather have them just take that out.

And i don't get the empowering thing. In the beginning Bellowbacks wooped my ass. Later in the game i could take on 2 or 3 at once, with ease.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
It does leave a lot to be desired. Its a decent game with a lot of good ideas, it just becomes repetitive, tedious and the world feels so empty (even in busy hubs).
I never finished the game in the end. The last thing I remember doing is
being in a gladiator like arena without weapons fighting some machines
before I lost the will to keep playing. Again, no idea how it ended but a sequel that puts a lot of the flaws right could be a very very good game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree on all points. Was my GOTY 2017.
And I don't know if people really don't get it or just want to bitch about it. But this game never was about MELEE combat. It's like saying Max Payne had bad melee combat ...

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree OP. Like it is an ok game on its own and has fantastic tech behind it.
But the world itself never felt like a world , you were never living in it, never part of it. I just felt disconnected, a lot it has to do with domes/biomes unrealistically close to each other, there barely any negative space , you cant just go for couple min without being attacked and that just ruins the believability of the world and how quickly day an night transitions go its also really weird. The world never felt lived in due to very clean and sterile aesthetic , everyones clean and shiny felt like a very disney approach to world.
And character designs were just too god damn busy for me , it distracted me. Coupled with some questionable VA and facial animations and just the dialogue writing, it was just so weird hearing npcs talk in a very literal way, it never felt like there was subtext, like there was more than it appeared. Felt super straight forward. Like it was not written in english first. And Alloy is just too god damn perfect and boring.
In the end , its one of those cases where theres disconnect between me and people who like it like its the best thing since sliced bread. And thats fine. Its just I wanted a world that felt like an actual world where this felt like a prop that had cool combat with robots with amazing tech on visual front.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
True, one of the only real negatives about the game.

For some reason it's a problem a lot of open world games seem to have.
I think it's also emblematic of the fact that they didn't quite stick the justification for the end of the world.

Self Replicating Robots are super dumb.

PhillyIsh

Jan 2, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I'm currently playing this game, but didn't want to make a thread about it.

Just a small question, am I doing something wrong or is it really insanely difficult to aim while sliding? The skill you can unlock to have bullet time during the slide makes me think it's something I should be doing more, but I just suck at it.

I'm using the jump bullet time a lot, though.

Really enjoying it so far, playing on Very Hard. But then again, it was never the first 15 hours that made me dislike open world games, so who knows what I'll think later.
yeah, it's pretty difficult to slide and aim without the bullet time. It's not just you. Using bullet time while sliding will make it a lot easier.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it at launch and hated it. It was the Sony exclusive that made me realize that their games are not for me (unless they make Bloodborne 2, sequel to the best game of this generation) Hell, I even bought a new TV because I wanted to see the game on all of its glory.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
-Never played a game up until this one that had a skill tree with not a single skill I wanted to have.
You better play not Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'm not with you in regards of Horizon, but I know at least the feeling of what you described.

-A villain so unimaginative you forget he exists even if you only ever do the main quests and plow through the story
I found Sylens a great character that was certainly complex and round instead of flat and stereotypical. He objects and contradicts Aloy, isn't some dull (or even motivationless) or outright maniac villain. Actually I think he is one of the greatest antagonists this generation. Even the line between him being an antagonist or being a supporting character blurrs and shifts back and forth. I think the strenght of Horizon lies in its combat mechanics which are quite good for an open world game, and the narrative of (many) sidequests, let alone the mainplot that explores the motivation of each involved character to greater extent than in your typical post-apocalyptical story where humans "just screwed up" (and bombed themselves back to sticks and stones).

In regards of the cutscene I would criticize of what many, if not most, open world and/or roleplaying games fall short: It is the static staging of cutscenes and passive interactions of characters in these cutscenes. Apart from a little bodylanguage here and there, and small facial expression (that were a bit improved in Frozen Wilds, however) there is little to no action in dialog-cutscenes. People are always standing (or sitting on rare occasions), they don't move around, they don't pursue any (mundane) activity while you're talking to them. Even far from a village, in the woods, they could carve things, cut arrows, fixing or maintaining their equipment. In villages and cities there are even more possibilities. Dialoges appear very game-y and not really natural. That bothers me more than the sudden cuts to respective cutscenes.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I agree.

What a beautiful but mediocre game.

Aloy has the charisma of a wood plank.

The beginning of the game is the best part, storywise (trial segment). Then the story falls apart so, so quickly, and I could not care about any of it.

The game wants you to hate the bad guy, but he is such a cartoon vilain with stupid motivations. And then the twist with the real vilain, which was as unlikable as the one before it. I don't know where it failed me, but I had no emotional payoff during the whole game.

Sidequests were really bad. The world felt empty and "artificial", giving me no sense of exploration at all. Heck, even FF XV gave me more motivation to explore.

Controls were good, but combat felt like a chore sometimes. Too much of it during exploration. Sometimes I just wanted to traverse the fields taking in the beautiful vistas, and then 4 dinos were suddenly beating me to death.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You better play not Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'm not with you in regards of Horizon, but I know at least the feeling of what you described.

I found Sylens a great character that was certainly complex and round instead of flat and stereotypical. He objects and contradicts Aloy, isn't some dull (or even motivationless) or outright maniac villain. Actually I think he is one of the greatest antagonists this generation. Even the line between him being an antagonist or being a supporting character blurrs and shifts back and forth. I think the strenght of Horizon lies in its combat mechanics which are quite good for an open world game, and the narrative of (many) sidequests, let alone the mainplot that explores the motivation of each involved character to greater extent than in your typical post-apocalyptical story where humans "just screwed up" (and bombed themselves back to sticks and stones).

In regards of the cutscene I would criticize of what many, if not most, open world and/or roleplaying games fall short: It is the static staging of cutscenes and passive interactions of characters in these cutscenes. Apart from a little bodylanguage here and there, and small facial expression (that were a bit improved in Frozen Wilds, however) there is little to no action in dialog-cutscenes. People are always standing (or sitting on rare occasions), they don't move around, they don't pursue any (mundane) activity while you're talking to them. Even far from a village, in the woods, they could carve things, cut arrows, fixing or maintaining their equipment. In villages and cities there are even more possibilities. Dialoges appear very game-y and not really natural. That bothers me more than the sudden cuts to respective cutscenes.
RDR 2, W3 and AC O ? Do that tho, GTA games too right? Even Skyrim had that stuff, tho its all in first person so no cutscenes

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
Agree completely. This game for me was a perfect example of no better alternatives to play and because I paid ÂŁ55/ÂŁ60 on PSN I forced myself to play and enjoy it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hated the combat. Constantly felt like I had to cheese a lot of encounters because even with maxed out slowdown effects the fights were a hassle and plain bad.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
All you ever see people talk about regarding this game is that it looks really nice... and it stops there. Yeah, it's pretty cool for a few hours when you start but it's not very interesting unfortunately. The expansion is actually quite a bit better. I still managed to finish the game because it looked good...

Overall I think the game is still ok and decent start for franchise. They have a lot to improve on.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
And by far the worst feeling I have in a game like this is that after 25 hours my character feels no more empowered now than when I started..
Scorching hot take.

There's better abilities you unlock, better gear and armor perks that make encounters play a lot differently, better weapons that can make previous difficult encounters a trivial matter. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game, OP, but I'm trying hard to understand how you actually played it to come the quoted conclusion.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't care if you think it's wrong. To me I felt no greater sense of satisfaction after 25 hours of playing despite knowing she's stronger and more capable. It was a matter of perception, not actuality. On paper and in the skill tree, in addition to the upgraded weapons, she became more formidable, yes, but this game was unique in that no matter how much I technically progressed, I always felt dissatisfied.
Right but what can be done about that?

At the start of the game, big dinobots are tough to take down. At the end of the game, they are much easier to take down. You are objectively empowered, despite your feelings about it. The "on paper" progression is absolutely not just a matter of perception; late game, Aloy can absolutely dunk on thunderjaws like they're nothing.
All you ever see people talk about regarding this game is that it looks really nice... and it stops there.
Only if you ignore the heaps of effusive praise the game got and continues to get from the games media and countless players. What kind of bubble are you in where this is all you hear? The hot take LTTP "slay but basick" bubble that this forum seems to thrive on?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
RDR 2, W3 and AC O ? Do that tho, GTA games too right? Even Skyrim had that stuff, tho its all in first person so no cutscenes
Played ACO for 25 hours and haven't encountered it (and boy, I did so many sidequests with the same narrative that I literally need a break from the game). Sorry to say this, but most of the time (not all of course, e.g. when Aspasia is leading you around at that soiree where you first met her) conversations takesplace in passivity. Actually, RDR, TW3, and GTA are the only examples I can think of doing this right, although only TW3 of those three is an RPG that offers a dialog system. Skyrim, and all the other Bethesda didn't offer it to the extent of the mentioned exampled. I wish that level of staging would be used in more roleplaying games than in TW3 (and, as seen in the gameplay trailer, Cyberpunk 2077).

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

I think you expressed it better here than previously.

I wasn't sure what you meant by empowered in that criticism.

FallenChief

Oct 27, 2017
For me, the game's MSP was its lore and the story. Discovering the truth about the world and its history was amazing. The art design was another strong point coupled with jaw dropping graphics made for a great game to look at. Rest everything was meh. The world was barren, encounters got repetitive and gameplay was ultimately boring.

The perfect 7/10 game after all is said and done.