• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
So a couple of months ago I started watching this anime and man it really is something. I've taken the advice of many and watched the first episode of the 1999 anime and then watched the 2011 one all the way through. I can truly see what people mean by it being amazing for all the intricacies and how it subverts a lot of shonen plot tropes or changes them in a way where it's almost deconstructing them. So right now I just watched
Gon vs Pitou
and I have so many mixed emotions. While amazing, it was also extremely sad leading up to that point. It was something we wouldn't expect from the character and I was sadly mistaken by the first arc when I felt it was cute and innocent (which I didn't mind) but the anime slowly became more mature in not only tone but also story telling and gore. It felt like a natural progression and speaking of progression, I love how both Gon and Killua become stronger throughout the show slowly instead of having instant powerups and we see it happen "naturally" in the show.

Okay, I admit that Gon's powerup did come out of nowhere but he paid a price, just like Kurapika did to attain his power. The risk/reward system with the nen is really great imo.

Speaking of Gon and Killua, I firmly believe that they have the best bromance in any anime I've ever seen. and my gf agrees, I don't think it will ever be topped for me. Also, Hisoka is my favorite character oddly enough. I find him really fascinating as a character and somewhat of an enigma, my girlfriend thinks I'm weird but also loves him.

e2f0456f87c98681c7a8196bebebb593f5ec9fea_hq.jpg

tldr; I'm enjoying the show, still watching chimera ant arc in the 2011 anime, Gon and Killua have the best bromance, Hisoka is interesting (to me).

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the comment about HxH seeming so bright and happy at first, but things get dark really quick when you look at them, especially once you get to the Yorknew arc. Pacing issues aside (episode 99 until the palace invasion gets moving is where it drags for me), the character growth in different way for the characters is incredible, and it's one of the most (In)famous arc in anime. There's still more crying to come though, so be ready! Update us with your thoughts!

P.S. Leorio is low-key the best

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Togashi is absolutely amazing at the creep from happy go lucky to dark and depressing. Best part is how subtle the change is. You don't even realize it happened till you are starring at some depressing shit.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with HxH is that it's pretty incoherent. A lot of the arcs make severe tonal shifts, the show totally abandons lots of interesting characters and ideas, and they keep bringing in new rules / gimmicks that mostly don't matter but get a lot of time anyway.

A lot of the arcs are solid, but you gotta be ready for the show to just walk away from things you thought were cool. It usually immediately walks into something else that's cool, but I was frustrated so often that it's hard to recommend.

The Chimera Ant stuff drags like a motherfucker. Hours and hours and hours in which the main characters just don't show up.

Leorio is low-key the best

Yeah but he's absent from like half the show.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Watch Yu Yu Hakusho when you're done if you haven't seen it. Same creator, kind of a proto-Hunter X Hunter. Has a great cast of characters as well.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
The problem with HxH is that it's pretty incoherent. A lot of the arcs make severe tonal shifts, the show totally abandons lots of interesting characters and ideas, and they keep bringing in new rules / gimmicks that mostly don't matter but get a lot of time anyway.

A lot of the arcs are solid, but you gotta be ready for the show to just walk away from things you thought were cool. It usually immediately walks into something else that's cool, but I was frustrated so often that it's hard to recommend.

The Chimera Ant stuff drags like a motherfucker. Hours and hours and hours in which the main characters just don't show up.
Where do you think some of those shifts are? Also, could you go into more detail about the characters/ideas/rules/gimmicks you mention?

I remember when I first started watching, I thought the main four were going to go to so many places together. Welp, lol. Though, on the other hand, I appreciate Togashi realizing that Kurapika has no business in this arc, Leorio in that arc, etc.

But you can definitely tell that, since he had the freedom to do whatever he wanted, he does just that lol.

OP
OP
FRS1987

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I agree with the comment about HxH seeming so bright and happy at first, but things get dark really quick when you look at them, especially once you get to the Yorknew arc. Pacing issues aside (episode 99 until the palace invasion gets moving is where it drags for me), the character growth in different way for the characters is incredible, and it's one of the most (In)famous arc in anime. There's still more crying to come though, so be ready! Update us with your thoughts!

P.S. Leorio is low-key the best

Just watched episode 135 where
Meruem and Komugi die
and holy crap i wasn't expecting to cry

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but he's absent from like half the show.
Many of the characters actually come back in later arcs.

The current arc in the manga has tons of these older characters return.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also watched the anime recently, and I'm reading through the manga right now. I was going to make a lenghty LTTP myself eventually. It's a brilliant shonen that really does subvert expectations and tropes well, and while I wouldn't claim it's always the best thing ever, the Chimera Ant arc is so full of layers, emotional payouts, plot twists and downright amazing moments that it instantly turns the entire series into something truly special. That ending of the arc, fucking hell, it's incredible. I'll probably make a lenghty write-up in a few weeks.

OP
OP
FRS1987

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I also watched the anime recently, and I'm reading through the manga right now. I was going to make a lenghty LTTP myself eventually. It's a brilliant shonen that really does subvert expectations and tropes well, and while I wouldn't claim it's always the best thing ever, the Chimera Ant arc is so full of layers, emotional payouts, plot twists and downright amazing moments that it instantly turns the entire series into something truly special. That ending of the arc, fucking hell, it's incredible. I'll probably make a lenghty write-up in a few weeks.

I'll be waiting for your lttp. I didn't do it justice and felt like it was difficult to describe why i enjoyed it so much in so many words.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be waiting for your lttp. I didn't do it justice and felt like it was difficult to describe why i enjoyed it so much in so many words.

There's many reasons. Togashi explaining the most ridiculous details with great passion, how grim the storyline can get, the parallels with our society - the entire Chimera Ant arc has one important message imho...
Those ants were just animals trying to feed, reproduce, evolve, it's only when they started becoming human that they became merciless killers who stopped doing it for survival and started hunting for fun. And to prove how fucked up humanity is, they didn't try to make 'em surrender peacefully or just kill the leader and see what can be done, they've fucking exterminated them with chemical weapons because fuck diversity. It's obviously a bit tongue-in-cheek and exaggerated for drama's sake but it's a great message that I didn't expect from an arc that seemed to be something like Cell's arc from Dragon Ball between the design and the sentience of the creature.
I think that arc is just excellent in storywriting and character development. The rest goes from the solid to great too, with tons of cool ideas with the battles especially. I enjoyed the emotional payoff of Greed Island as well, just like complexity of the arc you're going to watch (which did overstay its welcome by 1-2 episodes probably though). There sure is lot to digest.

Also, I echo the sentiments of the people recommending Yu Yu Hakusho as well. It's not as bonkers as Hunter x Hunter but it also manages to get pretty grim and fucked up at times despite starting off as a relatively tame shonen too. There's some very memorable characters in there too, I think I've last seen the show about 15 years ago and I still remember the names and many story elements, which is quite something considering.

Oct 27, 2017
From the little I've seen of the show I found it weird that nobody bats an eye when someone dies and that even the worst asshole can become a hunter as long as he passes the exam.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
No bromance can match the one between Gon and Killua. It really is the best.

God, I fucking love Hunter x Hunter. Keep watching OP! And definitely check out Yu Yu Hakusho.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While there is a bromance between two, i think Gon doesn't appreciate it the way Killua does. Gon is pretty selfish and sometimes relationship seems one sided

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
check out the manga since i doubt we will see a new anime anytime soon. it's soooo good right now.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Where do you think some of those shifts are? Also, could you go into more detail about the characters/ideas/rules/gimmicks you mention?

The show alternates between bright and gloomy.

Exam -> Zoldyck -> Heaven's Arena -> York New -> Greed Island -> Chimera Ant -> spoilers for OP

I don't think it's a negative at all though.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chimera Ant is one of the greatest stories I've ever read/watched. It's very much an arc where the antagonists become the main characters, and experience profound progressive development, while the protagonists (Gon and Netero in particular) develop in regressive, terrifying ways.

Oct 26, 2017
I consider the 2011 anime to be one of those shows like Avatar that I can rewatch endlessly and fall asleep to blissfully. Chimera Ant arc is amazing, as was Yorknew. I think the current arc in the manga might succeed both, though.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chimera Ant is one of the greatest stories I've ever read/watched. It's very much an arc where the antagonists become the main characters, and experience profound progressive development, while the protagonists (Gon and Netero in particular) develop in regressive, terrifying ways.

Good take on it all. While some of the "good guys" remain definitely admirable throughout the arc, it's the humanity (for better or worse) of the ants that truly makes the arc shine. After a while, the various "bad guys" are in fact very understandable in their motive and reasonings, the Royal Guards in particular, doing their best to preserve their race as best as possible while trying to stay loyal and also doing what's best for the king. One could genuinely write essays about the arc, what with humanity's dark sides, their will to learn and experiment, their conscience leading them to do things that are kind or evil instead of just doing what's objectively the best for them according to their instinct. The supposed bad guys learning all aspects from humanity becoming terribly unstable creatures in the process led by emotions. Even without Netero's actions, the downfall of the race would have been the fact they started becoming too human. It's some excellent social commentary that I did not expect from a "random" shonen.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where else to post, but I'm at the end of season three pretty soon. It's great. What's this series relationship to the manga, plot wise? I've got so many questions that I'm sure there's a faq out there somewhere that you can point me to help please hahah

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where else to post, but I'm at the end of season three pretty soon. It's great. What's this series relationship to the manga, plot wise? I've got so many questions that I'm sure there's a faq out there somewhere that you can point me to help please hahah

The manga is almost the same. One major difference would be how something that happened right in the beginning of the manga was actually skipped by the anime, and only brought back as a flashback shortly before that event mattered. And the manga is currently going beyond where the anime ended, but it's suffering from enormous breaks as the author has health issues which don't allow him to work at the manga at a proper pace. The upside is that the place the anime ends does serve as a soft ending for the series, and indeed it was a decisive moment in the manga as well, so if all else fails you can look at that one for closure.

I assume you're also talking about the 2011 anime? I think only the original run had "seasons" and that one ends a lot earlier story-wise. Unless you're talking about arcs?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The manga is almost the same. One major difference would be how something that happened right in the beginning of the manga was actually skipped by the anime, and only brought back as a flashback shortly before that event mattered. And the manga is currently going beyond where the anime ended, but it's suffering from enormous breaks as the author has health issues which don't allow him to work at the manga at a proper pace. The upside is that the place the anime ends does serve as a soft ending for the series, and indeed it was a decisive moment in the manga as well, so if all else fails you can look at that one for closure.

I assume you're also talking about the 2011 anime? I think only the original run had "seasons" and that one ends a lot earlier story-wise. Unless you're talking about arcs?
Yeah, I'm talking about the 2011 anime. I'm watching it on Netflix and I'm about to transition to Crunchy Roll to watch the rest. Thanks for the help!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm talking about the 2011 anime. I'm watching it on Netflix and I'm about to transition to Crunchy Roll to watch the rest. Thanks for the help!

Oh, it'll be worth it. It's a slow burn of a shonen: I think it's great early-on as well, but the upswing in quality by the halfpoint or so of the anime is insane. The last big arc is one of the best things ever made in a shounen, planned from start to finish with impressive care. If the tournament phases or the exams' mindfuck battles had you entertained, prepare to get your mind blown with what's to come :) Enjoy!

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, it'll be worth it. It's a slow burn of a shonen: I think it's great early-on as well, but the upswing in quality by the halfpoint or so of the anime is insane. The last big arc is one of the best things ever made in a shounen, planned from start to finish with impressive care. If the tournament phases or the exams' mindfuck battles had you entertained, prepare to get your mind blown with what's to come :) Enjoy!
Awesome. I can't wait until I finally see Gon do some amazing stuff. I really like how they don't rely on him and killua. Right now the Zolbecks finished their job at the hotel. It really is only improving as it goes on.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I can't wait until I finally see Gon do some amazing stuff. I really like how they don't rely on him and killua. Right now the Zolbecks finished their job at the hotel. It really is only improving as it goes on.

It's something that not everybody likes, but it's admirable to me how the series manages to park some of the most important characters for a really long time without them feeling missed, and without having to ultimately resort to their skills to solve the situations (see Dragon Ball, Naruto or One Piece where ultimately it's almost always the main characters solving everything). This will even improve, but I won't spoil anything :)

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Also, could you go into more detail about the characters/ideas/rules/gimmicks you mention?
"Tag is one of the attacks that Cheetu has. It allows Cheetu to transport his opponents to an alternate realm where they play a game of tag with the time limit of 8 hours"

"The Ortho Siblings' Nen abilities work in conjunction: the sister conjures a tag that, when placed on someone, will link her brother's conjured dart board to the target. The tag cannot be removed until the game ends, not even by themselves. The brother then throws darts at his board, and when they hit their mark, a sharp fish-like dart made from his aura is conjured and pierces the target's body in a place that depends on where the darts hit the board. The fish darts are impossible to avoid, since they don't physically exist until they touch the target's body. "

"An ability borrowed from Grachan which can only be used on a rainy day. The user conjures a surfing board and a trident harpoon while a mass of water large enough to flood an underground church is called forth by the user."

This stuff is all nonsense

oh and who could forget grannycycle

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was fucking weird indeed. I personally liked the rest, it's funny how these warriors can make up their own rules because the more specific they are, the stronger they get. Makes for some very unusual and fun battles as long as you don't take 'em too seriously.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the Chimera Ant arc. Holy shit what a shift in tone. Without spoilers, I just got introduced to one of the Kings Guard who discovered a human. Oof. Episode 84.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Tag is one of the attacks that Cheetu has. It allows Cheetu to transport his opponents to an alternate realm where they play a game of tag with the time limit of 8 hours"

"The Ortho Siblings' Nen abilities work in conjunction: the sister conjures a tag that, when placed on someone, will link her brother's conjured dart board to the target. The tag cannot be removed until the game ends, not even by themselves. The brother then throws darts at his board, and when they hit their mark, a sharp fish-like dart made from his aura is conjured and pierces the target's body in a place that depends on where the darts hit the board. The fish darts are impossible to avoid, since they don't physically exist until they touch the target's body. "

"An ability borrowed from Grachan which can only be used on a rainy day. The user conjures a surfing board and a trident harpoon while a mass of water large enough to flood an underground church is called forth by the user."

This stuff is all nonsense

Seems like some pretty good displays of a diverse power system to create unique battles to me. All part of what makes nen so good.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't think they were going to top
Gon vs Pitou
so fast but man it looks amazing in the manga too. Heard that there were times that he scribbled in the manga but i honestly wouldn't mind.

Scribble complaints mostly come from people who read the magazine rather than the novels. He redraws those scribbles in muh higher detail.

Also, Viz censors the bejesus out of several scenes in the Chimera Arc for the novels. Gigantic black bars. It really ticked me off.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Someone just blew my mind when they told me that Hisoka is actually the fifth main character.

It actually checks out since his birthday is similar to the other four (same numerical day and month).

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell the chimera ant arc drags. I'm getting near the end but it's kinda getting comical at this point. Gon and Pitou are FINALLY gonna fight I think.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Once you complete the show, pick up the manga cuz it gets even crazier from there

Togashi introduces Stands! And some of them are extremely creep!
tumblr_inline_pftnjhhAXy1tk589m_540.png

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
This is my absolute favorite series! Seriously, I can't think of another manga that's as well written as this. It's my wife's favorite too and we can turn on a random episode and enjoy it.

I've been reading the manga since 2003 and it's been tough, but worth the wait every time Togashi brings out new chapters.

If you think the pacing is bad in the chimera arc, it's not due to the anime. That's how it is in the manga too. But it was worse because it took nearly 10 years to finish.

Also, Gon's power up was not out of nowhere. It was foreshadowed when Kurapica was first training his nen. He then told Gon and Killua about it during the Spider arc.