• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the next movie has more hand-to-hand combat and less aimbot wallhacking shootouts.

Wick's grappling style is awesome.

Nov 4, 2017
I was extremely disappointed with the sequel, and part 1 is one of my favorite movies ever.

It's not shot as well. The choreography isn't as good. They focused more on capturing bright colors in the environment than in capturing a clear, crisp image that makes the action easy to see without excessive movement. They retreated too much from the first movie, even having whole scenes that are from the first movie.

I'm still hopeful the next movie is great.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was bad. They seemed to forget the entire point of who John Wick is and what he can do. They seemed to toss efficiency out the window; look at the first film when he takes out the guys in his house, it's clinical, darkly efficient, minimal. The opening scene in the second he's doing all kinds of pointless shit getting into fights he doesn't need to, making a right mess, smashing up his car for literally no reason and that carried on throughout the whole film. Wick seems to make a meal out of every scenario, the whole deadly assassin thing was lost. Shame.

Nov 4, 2017
I thought it was bad. They seemed to forget the entire point of who John Wick is and what he can do. They seemed to toss efficiency out the window; look at the first film when he takes out the guys in his house, it's clinical, darkly efficient, minimal. The opening scene in the second he's doing all kinds of pointless shit getting into fights he doesn't need to, making a right mess, smashing up his car for literally no reason and that carried on throughout the whole film. Wick seems to make a meal out of every scenario, the whole deadly assassin thing was lost. Shame.
Yep, exactly.

It was decent dirty fun, but they overused the same mechanic so the ending had zero impact. Very fun world, and loved the mute assassin. Wish they'd actually shown off some of her skills instead of setting her up for a fight that she was doomed to lose, though. All the characters looked cool, but had no substance in the end (except for Common).

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
eUmu6Ak.gif
This scene was ruined for me after seeing someone critique it by revealing that silenced pistols are still loud as fuck. Ignorance is bliss.

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Three should be cool if he decides the only way to be free of the contract is to kill them all and disband the entire org, via killing them all

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Common needs to never be in a film again, he's terrible. He's 10 times better than he was in Terminator yet still awful, which is amazing.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like 'em but they're practically the definition of style over substance. Still who doesn't love Keanu in a mostly mute role dishing out stylish mayhem?

On repeat viewings though you really have to ignore how everyone else is a really, really bad shot compared to Wick.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
One of those rare sequels that stands up to the original and makes it better retrospectively. Also builds a rock solid foundation for the franchise to build on. It could branch out in all sorts of directions now that we know the extent of the Continental's reach and we've seen how badass some of the other assassins are.

There's an awesome TV show in the world of John Wick that's just waiting to be written.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
One of those rare sequels that stands up to the original and makes it better retrospectively. Also builds a rock solid foundation for the franchise to build on. It could branch out in all sorts of directions now that we know the extent of the Continental's reach and we've seen how badass some of the other assassins are.

There's an awesome TV show in the world of John Wick that's just waiting to be written.

A Continental-oriented tv show is actually in the works.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's cheesy as fuck, but it isn't a parody scene.
Is it your first time watching a movie that has silenced pistols?
Course not, but I'm not well versed in firearms so I didn't know that silencers didn't actually make a gun super quiet. I took film, tv, and games word for it. Foolish, of course. It was hearing someone talk about this specific scene that informed me of the fact silenced guns are still very loud, they just won't blow your ears out.

Last edited:

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I've never watched the John Wick movies. I need to check them out.
I see people comparing it to fury road and dredd which I loved both of them.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The silenced pistol scene was great. The Wick movies have a very obvious tongue in cheek sense of humor, and they exist in a highly stylized reality. So using movie rules about silencers that have existed since forever seems pretty inline for such a great scene. More people would have been confused if the silencers didn't make the guns quiet.

The movie as a whole is better than the first. It doesn't have as good of a story hook, but the action is a big step up with more variety and better locations, and it leveraged the world building for some really fun interstitial moments between headshot city.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Course not, but I'm not well versed in firearms so I didn't know that silencers didn't actually make a gun super quiet. I took film, tv, and games word for it. Foolish, of course. It was hearing someone talk about this specific scene that informed me of the fact silenced guns are still very loud, they just won't blow your ears out.

You have to mix a suppressor with subsonic rounds. It won't silence your gun like in a movie, but it does make guns insanely quiet.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
What. Daniel Craig in his last outing was even more of an aimbot. More like James HeadshotBot.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a fun a sequel but not nearly as good as the first film

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I always thought that was the intention.

I felt the movies had a pretty serious tone with some tongue-in-cheek moments [like the sommalier / weapon supplier, or the Chinese sweatshop / secret tux tailor]. All of that went completely out the window once the violin-playing assassin and the random Sumo assassin pop up. John Wick has hand to hand combat and shootouts with fatal ends in the middle of the subway and NY street and literally nobody bats an eye. It's way past my suspention of disbelief. The ridiculous bulletproof suits don't help either.

The whole concept of literally hundreds of part-time assassins walking around in NYC alone is beyond absurd, even for this movie's premise.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt the movies had a pretty serious tone with some tongue-in-cheek moments [like the sommalier / weapon supplier, or the Chinese sweatshop / secret tux tailor]. All of that went completely out the window once the violin-playing assassin and the random Sumo assassin pop up. John Wick has hand to hand combat and shootouts with fatal ends in the middle of the subway and NY street and literally nobody bats an eye. It's way past my suspention of disbelief. The ridiculous bulletproof suits don't help either.

The whole concept of literally hundreds of part-time assassins walking around in NYC alone is beyond absurd, even for this movie's premise.
Yeah, they took the cool assassins world concept and made it super dumb. Not really excited about 3, but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How were people not laughing at the silencer shootout? I was laughing my ass off in that scene. It's was like two kids trying to hit each other without their parents seeing. I loved it. And some of the fights had the cadence of a joke, especially the sumo dude. John Wick 2 is amazing.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
loved the homage to "Enter the Dragon" at the end with mirror maze, funny enough the director might be doing the remake of Enter the Dragon.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Wtf is this notion that these movies aren't completely silly? Like, the first movie is preposterous as is with a fucking hotel for assassins all wearing slick black outfits with deadpan jokes about getting blood out at the laundromat. Then you have these scenes with Michael Nyqvist giving these dour monologues with these over-stylized subtitles as he tries to build up how badass John Wick is. The most serious scenes that don't feel like an outright parody of grim action hero nonsense is when the dog actually dies and then killing Willem Dafoe.

So this idea that the silencer shootout isn't in-line with this nonsensical tone is ridiculous to me. These movies were always cartoonish and comic booky, the amazing stuntwork aside.

TheOasis

Oct 28, 2017
I watched John Wick 2 in a movie theater that offers for some showings a "Vive Audio setup which delivers powerful, crystal clear Dolby Atmos® surround sound to each of the 185 seats in the screen". What this actually means is that I literally, physically felt every bullet fired in a movie where there were many bullets fired. 10/10 will do again for John Wick 3.